PDA

View Full Version : Secure Report/File Distribution

Mjcpr
11/1/2007, 10:22 AM
I have a confidential report that I distribute to a few folks at work each month. In hopes of getting away from printing and delivering this report, I was trying to come up with a secure, electronic delivery method. I have converted the report to .pdf. Attaching the file to an email and sending it out has already been shot down.

I set up a secure directory on the network allowing access to only those people to whom the report is to be distributed but sending an email with the URL and having them go out and get it seems awkward.

What method do some of you use for this kind of thing at the office?

Wisenheimer comments will be promptly neg'd. :D

Ike
11/1/2007, 10:32 AM
There are a few ways I can think of.

method the first:
encrypt the PDF with a password and send it by email.

method the second:
set up a web-accessible area that requires a password to get to and put it there.

Vaevictis
11/1/2007, 10:35 AM
The method you're using is probably the simplest way -- mostly because it doesn't require installation of any additional software or education of users.

Veritas
11/1/2007, 10:37 AM
Use Winzip to zip and encrypt the file. Then email it. You get the added bonus of a smaller file size.

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 10:41 AM
Let the crypt keeper do it for you.

OKLA21FAN
11/1/2007, 10:58 AM
do you charge $1200 for it?

how does one get on the list? :pop:

Mjcpr
11/1/2007, 11:18 AM
Use Winzip to zip and encrypt the file. Then email it. You get the added bonus of a smaller file size.

How does it get.......un-encrypted, do you have to use a password system?

JohnnyMack
11/1/2007, 11:23 AM
Hire ninjas to hand deliver it and then slash the throats of the recipients once they've read the report. This will ensure the information doesn't get into the wrong hands.

Howzit
11/1/2007, 11:25 AM
Armored truck.

With ninja guards.

Mute ninja guards, whut can't talk about whut they delivered.

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 11:26 AM
Amour Hot Dog

Howzit
11/1/2007, 11:29 AM
Amour Hot Dog

Waves crashing.

Sand correspondingly granular.

Over.

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 11:31 AM
There's a tick in the dogs ear.

Over.

Howzit
11/1/2007, 11:32 AM
Execute.

End comm.

JohnnyMack
11/1/2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for stealing my ninja idear Mr. Louganis.

Howzit
11/1/2007, 11:38 AM
Pat's report security is at stake and you're worried about getting credit for an idea.

Way to be a team player. Not.

Veritas
11/1/2007, 12:22 PM
When they download the file to their desktop and unzip it they'll be prompted for the password.

crawfish
11/1/2007, 12:38 PM

Just remember to e-mail the password along with it.

Mjcpr
11/1/2007, 12:43 PM
Just remember to e-mail the password along with it.

Yeah, this is why I was hoping to avoid PW solutions.

I'll probably just use the secure network location.

Thanks for the help....except Howzit, SAS and JM. Your negs are in the mail. :D

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 12:52 PM
Send the password.

There's nothing worse than an encrypted neg.

Howzit
11/1/2007, 02:05 PM
We're here to help.

OKC-SLC
11/1/2007, 02:38 PM
When they download the file to their desktop and unzip it
With the populace of this thread, I can't be the only 'heh'.

Cam
11/1/2007, 07:58 PM
I'll probably just use the secure network location.
This would be the easiest option, but not the best. If your counter parts don't practice good PC security and lock their OS before leaving their work area, anybody walking buy could access the files.

IMO, the best way would be to password encrypt it and tell them what the password is.

Vaevictis
11/1/2007, 08:25 PM
This would be the easiest option, but not the best. If your counter parts don't practice good PC security and lock their OS before leaving their work area, anybody walking buy could access the files.

IMO, the best way would be to password encrypt it and tell them what the password is.

... of course, the kind of people who don't practice good PC security are the ones who are just as likely to write the password on a post-it note that they attach to their monitor ;)

OUinFLA
11/1/2007, 08:32 PM
just post the info on SO.
Nobody pays attention to anything you post.
And even if they do, they forget about it right away.

Sooner_Bob
11/1/2007, 08:42 PM
I have a confidential report that I distribute to a few folks at work each month. In hopes of getting away from printing and delivering this report, I was trying to come up with a secure, electronic delivery method. I have converted the report to .pdf. Attaching the file to an email and sending it out has already been shot down.

I set up a secure directory on the network allowing access to only those people to whom the report is to be distributed but sending an email with the URL and having them go out and get it seems awkward.

What method do some of you use for this kind of thing at the office?

Wisenheimer comments will be promptly neg'd. :D

Do you guys use an exchange server for your email? If so, you should be able to get security/encryption certificates so you can send/receive encrypted email to everyone who also has a security/encryption certificate.

Cam
11/1/2007, 08:48 PM
... of course, the kind of people who don't practice good PC security are the ones who are just as likely to write the password on a post-it note that they attach to their monitor ;)
It's sad how often you see this.

soonerboomer93
11/1/2007, 09:30 PM
eh, i love changing peoples desktop background (or opening up 20 bajillion calculators for them)

i told the aggie if he doesn't lock his desktop, i'm changing him to ou wallpaper

MextheBulldog
11/1/2007, 10:38 PM
PGP (http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop_email/index.html)

Mjcpr
11/2/2007, 08:13 AM
Do you guys use an exchange server for your email? If so, you should be able to get security/encryption certificates so you can send/receive encrypted email to everyone who also has a security/encryption certificate.

I believe so, yes. But I have never used encryption certificates. I'm trying to make it as easy on the users as I can lest they start wanting hard copies of **** again. :rolleyes: