PDA

View Full Version : Stoops

Will
10/31/2007, 07:57 PM
If Mike Stoops is fired will he come be co-defensive coordinator with Venebles? If already thread could I get link thanks.

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 08:00 PM
I hope so ...it would SAVE our D! ;)

ClintonSooner
10/31/2007, 08:01 PM
why didn't I think of a question like this???

No.

instigator
10/31/2007, 08:06 PM
I bet he could bring back some swagger that just seems to be missing since he left.

ClintonSooner
10/31/2007, 08:07 PM
No. No.

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 08:08 PM
I bet he could bring back some swagger that just seems to be missing since he left.

i agree...we need some swagg

aurorasooner
10/31/2007, 08:15 PM
Honestly, UA would be bat shiot crazy to fire Mike and not give him another year after bringing all those high priced offensive coaches this year. Who the hell they going get to do any better than Mike next year? Clownahan? Guy Morriss? They sure aren't going to give Brent V. or KW a shot. The losses to NM and Stanford, both in Tucson, just killed him though. I think if he wins 2 out of the next 3, UCLA and Oregon in Tucson/ ASU in Phoenix, they definitely keep him. He goes Ofer in the last 3 and he's probably gone. That Arizona O may be coming around. They put up 48 against UW in Seattle last week.

Will
10/31/2007, 08:23 PM
I think it would bring back some attitude and intensity if it occurred

soonersn2007
10/31/2007, 08:48 PM
Call it swagger, fire, intensity or w/e..........we could use some of that. Venebles just doesn't connect to the players as well as Mike did in transmuting that insanity we used to play with.

I'm not saying Mike Stoops is the only person that can do it, I just haven't seen anyone else bring this to the table and making it work.

Stitch Face
10/31/2007, 09:04 PM
More to the point, would Mike Stoops bring back the fire to our D if USC had to vacate the title and a playoff was instituted?

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 09:08 PM
More to the point, would Mike Stoops bring back the fire to our D if USC had to vacate the title and a playoff was instituted?

I think so...

soonersn2007
10/31/2007, 09:11 PM
That's a nice list.

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 09:20 PM
I watched the 2000 A&M game on ESPN classic earlier and man Mike gets CRAZY on the sideline...I would def. love to see it again!

EstablishedSooner1967
10/31/2007, 09:22 PM
NO! there are no coaching positions available unless someone goes or gets fired...

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 09:26 PM
NO! there are no coaching positions available unless someone goes or gets fired...

Did Bobby tell you that? :rolleyes:

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 09:28 PM
If my post disappears does it still go in my post count????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

XingTheRubicon
10/31/2007, 09:36 PM
Please stop equating a guy yelling on the sidelines with good defensive coaching.

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 09:38 PM
but he yells with such passion........

CatfishSooner
10/31/2007, 09:39 PM
Please stop equating a guy yelling on the sidelines with good defensive coaching.

why?

soonersn2007
10/31/2007, 09:44 PM
Considering how much emotion plays into the mindset of college players, mental attitude and toughness is a big factor. It's just not yelling.

Will
10/31/2007, 09:44 PM

do you feel like we had better talent when mike was here and that is why the defense performed or was it because he could coach and motivate the players to play?

colleyvillesooner
10/31/2007, 09:53 PM
All Mike's yelling didn't really help us against OSU in 02, or A&M in 02 or KSU in 03.

And there is no way he comes back here to be a "co" anything...

soonersn2007
10/31/2007, 10:01 PM
All Mike's yelling didn't really help us against OSU in 02, or A&M in 02 or KSU in 03.
True True, but I think we all feel something is missing the last couple of years.........it's like ever since USC punked us, we haven't been quite ourselves in big games. Call it Mike Stoops, lack of a team leader, lack of confidence or what..........I would just like to see more intensity and leadership.

GottaHavePride
10/31/2007, 10:12 PM
What's the lesson in this thread?

Calling people names after someone gets a vacation for namecalling is a good way to get yourself a vacation.

goingoneight
10/31/2007, 10:12 PM
I don't think Mike Stoops brought so much "swagger" to the table as much as I really just feel he ran a better scheme. Venables changes the blitz packages on every down and has a tendency to crawl into a "prevent."

"Prevent" is to make a team earn sure yards and burn time doing so. "Prevent" doesn't "prevent" your opponent from winning. "Prevent" should rarely, if ever be used at Oklahoma.

Get this, imagine Mike Stoops is back and it's the same staff that masterminded the 2001 Orange Bowl gameplan. 4th and 19 in the Fiesta Bowl and instead of playing two at the line and 9 deep (prevent), we bring a linebacker or corner blitz and Jared Zabransky is forced to get rid of the ball before he gets the four or five seconds to throw. They may get lucky and get a first down or even a touchdown, but the odds are much more against a guy making a play when he has a millisecond to throw or is flushed outside his comfort zone. There's a reason great defense starts up front. Great defense isn't about how fast you are and how well you keep up in a footrace with the opponent's wideouts and backs... it's getting in your opponents' faces and saying "if you're going to do something, you better do it NOW!"

Again, I feel Venables does just fine motivating the guys. Everyone, even the offensive guys who are interviewed always end up getting asked who they like best, or if they weren't playing for Stoops, who would they play for... the answer always seems to be Brent. I remember Mike Stoops from time to time had to be shielded from getting his head torn off by players who were pizzed off at him, too. Ontei Jones really didn't like Mike Stoops, and the two of them were caught on camera bowing up to eachother during the aTm game in 2000. Brent is always just as firey as Mike was... but his scheme and his defenses' fundamentals are exposed in nearly every game.

Will
10/31/2007, 10:21 PM
What's the lesson in this thread?

Calling people names after someone gets a vacation for namecalling is a good way to get yourself a vacation.

I do not understand what happened I have been gone? :confused:

badger
10/31/2007, 10:21 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5821/callenberger1oq5.jpg
Zona would be stupid to fire him. Anyone would be stupid not to fire him. Obviously, there is a lot of stupidity going around right now, like another thread on this topic.
To put it another way...
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4267/goodgriefhp4.jpg

Will
10/31/2007, 10:23 PM
and is gerk or loser or such prohibited?

Will
10/31/2007, 10:24 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5821/callenberger1oq5.jpg
Zona would be stupid to fire him. Anyone would be stupid not to fire him. Obviously, there is a lot of stupidity going around right now, like another thread on this topic.
To put it another way...
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4267/goodgriefhp4.jpg

That is namecalling He is saying this thread is stupid thus the thread starter is stupid thus everyone in the thread is stupid!! :mad:

badger
10/31/2007, 10:26 PM
Stoops was good for us. We've discussed this before. Nothing to see here...

EDIT: Whoops! Thought I was posting that image in the Fark Board! Although it could be here also, I guess... nah. Wanna save it :D

goingoneight
10/31/2007, 10:26 PM
True True, but I think we all feel something is missing the last couple of years.........it's like ever since USC punked us, we haven't been quite ourselves in big games. Call it Mike Stoops, lack of a team leader, lack of confidence or what..........I would just like to see more intensity and leadership.

You have it kind of off. Mike was long gone when the USC game rolled around. We knew 2004 was going to be a bit of a rebuilding effort with the loss of Harris and Strait among others... but immediately the defense was being criticized for giving up big plays. OUr offense was much better when AD got rolling than it was in 2003, but for some odd reason, the games hinged on OUr offense a lot. The problem was off-and-on all season long, and appeard to finally disentigrate against CU. As it turned out, CU just sucked... and OUr D was still a major liability.

2005 was a disaster, but as the offense began to catch it's breath, we still found OUrselves giving up leads (aTm, Nebraska, Baylor, Tech, even Oregon). The team overall was sound by year's end, but the defense really didn't have half the issues the offense did and still never really got better.

2006 arrived. Until a certain quarterback decided to stick his hands in the cookie jar, we were said to be Stoops's best team yet. Bomar is ousted, Thompson rides to the rescue... no biggie, right? OUr defense was to be "the best Stoops defense yet" because it was "healthy as ever and triple deep at nearly every position." UAB almost beat us on OUr home field! I'll give you a 11-1 TCU loss, but no excuse for a near winless UAB squad to beat the Sooners IN NORMAN. Washington, Oregon and Texas continued to humble us. I'll give you the fact that the defense got better, but it still got roasted against aggy and Boise State with grade-school trick plays.

2007 so far we've looked better at tackling and pursuit, but we're still missing the standout leadership and consistent pass rush a "great" defense needs. I have actually like that we've been on top of every play and that we're not letting pathetic teams escape OUr grips quite as easily. And I still say OUr defense is not the reason why we're kinda struggling lately. It's not the reason we lost at Boulder, either.

Fraggle145
10/31/2007, 10:28 PM
Regardless of what you think about him or venables...

my question is where do you think he will go if/when he gets fired? :pop: (no not back here... anyone says that belongs aboard the failboat[hairGel] )

The only answer I seem to come up with is: :42:?

Stitch Face
10/31/2007, 10:29 PM
and is gerk or loser or such prohibited?

Calling someone a gerk will definitely get you permabaned. Don't even go their, girlfriend.

badger
10/31/2007, 10:30 PM
That is namecalling He is saying this thread is stupid thus the thread starter is stupid thus everyone in the thread is stupid!! :mad:
I suggest you find that guy and BANE him!!!1!

Or... post a little bit longer before you start threads like this ;)

Curly Bill
10/31/2007, 10:31 PM
Bring back Mike Stoops
Bring back Mike Stoops
Bring back Mike Stoops
...............................course I know it's not gonna happen. :(

Will
10/31/2007, 10:31 PM
Regardless of what you think about him or venables...

my question is where do you think he will go if/when he gets fired? :pop: (no not back here... anyone says that belongs aboard the failboat[hairGel] )

The only answer I seem to come up with is: :42:?

utterly retarded

badger
10/31/2007, 10:33 PM
Bring back Mike Stoops
Bring back Mike Stoops
Bring back Mike Stoops
...............................course I know it's not gonna happen. :(
I dunno, you said it three times, so he just might appear!

Wait... is that him now?
http://www.bigfanboy.com/pages/interviews/michaelkeaton/keaton-beetlejuice.jpg
dammit, it's still halloween, I see.

Oh... and this topic has been brought up before and the answer has unlikely changed. Besides.. didn't Zona WIN this weekend? Hell, even the SOONERS, or the "greatest offense in the universe" didn't do that this past weekend! ;)

EDIT: stop calling names, Will! :P

Will
10/31/2007, 10:33 PM
I suggest you find that guy and BANE him!!!1!

Or... post a little bit longer before you start threads like this ;)

I don't understand why it matters how long I post on this forum... YOU act like you are a know it all and are really about the same as everyone else on the forum posting thoughts and opinions. Ridiculous!

Will
10/31/2007, 10:34 PM
And it is BAN!

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 10:36 PM
And it is BAN!
yes.

yes it is.

badger
10/31/2007, 10:36 PM
And it is BAN!
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6397/pukevo9.jpg
aww, it's it cute? ;)

Will
10/31/2007, 10:39 PM

Will
10/31/2007, 10:47 PM
I say you are a woman!

Stitch Face
10/31/2007, 10:47 PM
I say you are a woman!

Classic.

badger
10/31/2007, 10:49 PM
I say you are a woman!
15 minutes later... congratulations. Welcome to soonerfans. My name is badger. NormanPride is my husband, which yes, makes me a woman. I know it may initially shock some of you when you read what I write, or the fact that I write here at all, but hey, chicks dig football too.;)

Now... where was I... oh YEAH! I was trying to bury your thread! DAMMIT, back at the top again. :mad:

;)

Will
10/31/2007, 10:52 PM
tells me a lot that you are married to normanpride... from what i have heard....were you also a bandito?

badger
10/31/2007, 10:56 PM
tells me a lot that you are married to normanpride... from what i have heard....were you also a bandito?
yes... but... HEY WAIT A SEC! you were trying to get me banned a few posts ago! why should I be sharing valuable info with you?:P

FirstandGoal
10/31/2007, 11:01 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1185/banehimal0.jpg

badger
10/31/2007, 11:07 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1185/banehimal0.jpg
yeah... I'd have to agree.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2011/modvl0.jpg

Will
10/31/2007, 11:08 PM
ya do it!

SoonerKnight
10/31/2007, 11:13 PM
I don't think stoops gets fired this year. Arizona does not have the tradition of OU so the job there is much harder!

GottaHavePride
10/31/2007, 11:21 PM
I here Arizaona is teh awesumz.

SoonerKnight
11/1/2007, 12:16 AM
I here Arizaona is teh awesumz.

fixed!:O

Fraggle145
11/1/2007, 01:03 AM
utterly retarded

BANE!!! :42: is the answer to everything!!

DreamZ22
11/1/2007, 08:04 AM
but he yells with such passion........

Almost right!!! Mike yells in a GREAT WAY!!!!

The_Red_Patriot
11/1/2007, 08:53 AM
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS?

NO! THE ANSWER IS NO! HE WILL NEVER COME BACK

http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/charshey/pics/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 08:57 AM
Could you clarify your position a little?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/1/2007, 10:13 AM
IF Mike Stoops is fired byAriz

IF Venables leaves for another job

It is not likely but possible. I think it is at least pretty safe to say that Mike Stoops won't be a co-defensvie coordinator though.

Desert Sapper
11/1/2007, 11:53 AM
The difference between the defenses of Mike and the defenses of Venables are at the line. What killed us in '04 against suc was missing both Tommie Harris and Dusty Dvoracek (not to mention '03 Butkus winner Teddy Lehman and '03 Thorpe winner Derrick Strait). We made a ****load of mistakes in that game, could get zero pressure on leinfart, had a true freshman starting at CB (Marcus Walker), and the rest is history. If you think having DD and TH in the middle wouldn't have freed the edges for Dan Cody and Jonathan Jackson, you're nuts. We haven't had the same D-Line since after the 2003 season, when TH left and DD got in trouble. The core of Juniors that we have right now will be 2003 good next year. The spark is there for R-Frosh Gerald McCoy, Soph Auston English, and Soph DeMarcus Granger. We get John Williams back next year. This D is pretty damn good right now. I expect the D to be off the charts next year. Next year will be the first that the stars align for BV. Mike had a good three to four years of perfectly aligned stars on the D. If our D takes a dive next year, when all the pieces are in place, call for Venables' head. IMO, it's way too premature.

Remember, Mike left after the Sugar Bowl. We lost our last two games with him as the DC AND all the stars aligned on defense. That team was the most loaded of the Stoops era, we had Mike as the DC, and we still got pimp-slapped by K-State and flubbed the Sugar Bowl away. Blame BV all you want, but it just isn't right to do it until he has all the pieces in place to win the MNC and loses both the CCG and MNC back to back. I'm pretty happy, considering that we've won just as many CCG with BV as the DC as we did with Mike.

TUSooner
11/1/2007, 12:00 PM
Isn't he related to Bob?

:P

Soonerman08
11/1/2007, 12:50 PM
I don't think Mike Stoops brought so much "swagger" to the table as much as I really just feel he ran a better scheme. Venables changes the blitz packages on every down and has a tendency to crawl into a "prevent."

"Prevent" is to make a team earn sure yards and burn time doing so. "Prevent" doesn't "prevent" your opponent from winning. "Prevent" should rarely, if ever be used at Oklahoma.

Get this, imagine Mike Stoops is back and it's the same staff that masterminded the 2001 Orange Bowl gameplan. 4th and 19 in the Fiesta Bowl and instead of playing two at the line and 9 deep (prevent), we bring a linebacker or corner blitz and Jared Zabransky is forced to get rid of the ball before he gets the four or five seconds to throw. They may get lucky and get a first down or even a touchdown, but the odds are much more against a guy making a play when he has a millisecond to throw or is flushed outside his comfort zone. There's a reason great defense starts up front. Great defense isn't about how fast you are and how well you keep up in a footrace with the opponent's wideouts and backs... it's getting in your opponents' faces and saying "if you're going to do something, you better do it NOW!"

Again, I feel Venables does just fine motivating the guys. Everyone, even the offensive guys who are interviewed always end up getting asked who they like best, or if they weren't playing for Stoops, who would they play for... the answer always seems to be Brent. I remember Mike Stoops from time to time had to be shielded from getting his head torn off by players who were pizzed off at him, too. Ontei Jones really didn't like Mike Stoops, and the two of them were caught on camera bowing up to eachother during the aTm game in 2000. Brent is always just as firey as Mike was... but his scheme and his defenses' fundamentals are exposed in nearly every game.

Lest you forget that it was Bob Stoops who called the prevent against Boise State, not Brent Venables. We went to Prevent against Florida State on the last drive in the Orange Bowl, and had they just not thrown the ball up for grabs (intercepted by OU) in the end zone they had all day to throw on that play. The idea is just to do away with prevent period!

soonersn20xx
11/1/2007, 01:48 PM
Considering how many games have been lost by playing prevent, you would think a few coaches would start bucking the trend and stay in their regular sets.

MichiganSooner
11/1/2007, 02:29 PM
How about Mike Stoops as head coach at A&M or Nebraska?

soonersn20xx
11/1/2007, 02:42 PM
How about Mike Stoops as head coach at A&M or Nebraska?
Maybe Nebraska if they offered, but he wouldn't go to A&M imo.

SwitzerFan
11/1/2007, 02:55 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but in 2003 didn't Mike say he was leaving before the Big 12 against Kansas St(loss)? (Although physically there I always questioned mentally what that did to the players.) Also, was he even at the Sugar Bowl game coaching? That's what I remember but I might be wrong. Thanks

Johnny Utah
11/1/2007, 04:00 PM
If my memory serves me ... and I did start drinking heavily ... Mike announced that he was leaving before K State and wasn't at the NC vs LSU.

Desert Sapper
11/2/2007, 07:48 AM
If my memory serves me ... and I did start drinking heavily ... Mike announced that he was leaving before K State and wasn't at the NC vs LSU.

My memory doesn't serve me at all anymore.

This article really supports those that say Mike is the reason we haven't had the same success on D:

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3868470)

Basically, he was there, but not in any official status. By the time of the CCG he was, for all intents and purposes, the HC at AZ.

His official page resume lists the Sugar, though.

Link (http://www.arizonaathletics.com/football/coachbio.aspx?id=1560)

ashley
11/2/2007, 09:14 AM
He will not be back.

sanantoniosooner
11/2/2007, 09:17 AM
He will not be back.
Does that make you wanna scream?

Johnny Utah
11/2/2007, 09:45 AM
The following line from his resume says a lot:

Stoops’ self-described ‘violent’ defensive scheme led the Wildcats to an NCAA Division I-best 19 fumbles recovered in 2004 and the belief that he will accept no substitute for less than full-throttle play has already helped recharge a unit that once spawned nationally known nicknames.

It doesn't appear that the OU defense has been coached to play with either a 'violent' scheme or full-throttle play since Mike's departure was announced.