PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan for Heisman?

emoinwinter
10/31/2007, 07:20 PM
What a joke! I can't believe this guy is getting this much hype. Does a QB deserve the Heisman if he can only complete 61% of his passes, and throw 8 picks while throwing 19 touchdowns. It seems like he is a victor of the ESPN hype machine. Troy Smith was last year. What do you guys think?

Personally, it seems like Dixon deserves it a lot more than he does.

silverwheels
10/31/2007, 07:25 PM
If BC loses, his Heisman stock will plummet. That's the main reason he's getting so much hype. That and he's a senior.

mynameisjoe
10/31/2007, 07:25 PM
Well, the city of Boston needs something. In the sports world, they don't have a whole lot goina;lkdsjfiwpoqepjfwq;lifejqlkwje;iwqehfkqwjeflw qkjef;lwqjfq;oioujqoiufj;

goingoneight
10/31/2007, 07:37 PM
Sam Bradford = for seven consecutive weeks was the nation's elading passer in efficiency, which in reality is all that matters. Want to bring stats into it?

SB= 20 TD, 5 INT (all picks off of tipped balls, mind you). Did we mention he's a freshmen?

MR= 5th year senior, 19 TD, 8 INT... vomits on the sideline to celebrate touchdown passes.

Not saying Sam is the best this year, but I am saying he owns Matt Ryan. NTM, the Heisman is supposed to be given to the "best college football player in America."

swardboy
10/31/2007, 07:38 PM
Well, the city of Boston needs something. In the sports world, they don't have a whole lot goina;lkdsjfiwpoqepjfwq;lifejqlkwje;iwqehfkqwjeflw qkjef;lwqjfq;oioujqoiufj;

DUDE!!! Did you fall on your keyboard? Are you all right? Dude!

Stitch Face
10/31/2007, 07:42 PM

WTF?

goingoneight
10/31/2007, 07:51 PM
I think he was being sarcastic, laughed so hard at his own joke he spewed beer on his keyboard and it went ape-**** on his post.

Just my $.02, though. :pop:

mynameisjoe
10/31/2007, 08:04 PM
Actually I had a stroke after reading my ridiculous statement ;)

soonersn2007
10/31/2007, 08:08 PM
The eastern press showing its muscle is all this is, this guy has crap numbers but is getting all this push............it's laughable.

IronSooner
10/31/2007, 08:24 PM
NTM, the Heisman is supposed to be given to the "best college QB or RB on a top-5 football team in America."

The Heisman's a joke. Matt Ryan for Heisman is a joke too, but I just can't care all that much. Somebody has to win it this year. It'll probably be Dixon, but bear in mind they have to at least round up enough guys for a ceremony and some suspense.

bluedogok
10/31/2007, 08:42 PM
NTM, the Heisman is supposed to be given to the "best college football player in America."
That hasn't happened in a long, long time....a defensive player has never won the award and for many seasons they have been the best players. It is a marketing award now for the top ranked programs, just like IronSooner posted. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't win it, no one else has been exceptionally better than anyone else this season...just like the teams.

NYC Poke
10/31/2007, 08:44 PM
The eastern press showing its muscle is all this is, this guy has crap numbers but is getting all this push............it's laughable.

At least Mandel admits it.

Stewart, please do your best to defend your obviously East Coast-biased media colleagues with regard to their love affair of Boston College QB Matt Ryan and their dismissal of Texas Tech's Graham Harrell as a system guy
--Matt Johnson, Dublin, Calif.

I shall not do that, because this is a rare instance where I actually believe the "East Coast bias" thing to be 100 percent true.

No doubt Ryan is a very good quarterback, but his purported status as a Heisman front-runner is completely a product of gushing East Coast media types. That starts and first and foremost with ESPN's Connecticut-based NFL draft gurus, who have attached a certain level of credibility to Ryan as opposed to some other quarterbacks (Harrell, Chase Daniel, Dennis Dixon, Tim Tebow) who have produced similar or better stats against similar or better competition but are not necessarily viewed as future pros. Meanwhile, the New York Times has covered Ryan considerably, as has my esteemed publication, both of which are also East Coast-driven.

Don't get me wrong, Ryan is having a fine season (63.2 percent completions, 2,148 yards, 17 touchdowns, six interceptions) ... but we're talking about the nation's 37th-rated passer here. His biggest "Heisman performance" to date was throwing for 435 yards against 4-3 Georgia Tech. All of the quarterbacks I mentioned above -- along with more prototypical candidates Brian Brohm and Andre Woodson -- are ranked higher than Ryan, and have all turned in bigger performances in bigger games. So obviously there's an X-factor keeping Ryan above most of those guys on the various Heisman lists, and Matt, you nailed it.

Now, if Ryan goes off against No. 11 Virginia Tech's defense next Thursday night -- then we should start talking Heisman.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/10/17/cfb.bag/2.html

I think he ended up backing Ryan after the VT game (I'm not sold, but a come-back win is a come-back win and tends to get attention). But at least he admits it.

badger
10/31/2007, 10:47 PM
Actually I had a stroke after reading my ridiculous statement ;)
X 2.

I think we need to kick Boston in its... um... massachusetts?

As long as it doesn't go to Ohio State, USC or Florida, who each have enough Heismans, thank you very much, I'll be happy.

I would include Domer on the list... but... yknow :rolleyes:

goingoneight
11/1/2007, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Bobby Reid is going to win it. It will be a close one with Adarius Bowman, and they may split it... which will be a perfect compliment to their BIG 12 Championship over Nebraska and their trip to the Rose Bowl.

;)

Buckeye Fan
11/1/2007, 12:47 AM
I say Todd Boeckman should win it, he plays on a good team...

The question is when/why was Matt Ryan placed on the Heisman Watch List in the first place along with Tebow? Once you get placed on that list, as soon as the other guys start to fall off when their team loses ,the Matt Ryans automatically rise to take their place.

auto
11/1/2007, 12:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Bobby Reid is going to win it. It will be a close one with Adarius Bowman, and they may split it... which will be a perfect compliment to their BIG 12 Championship over Nebraska and their trip to the Rose Bowl.

;)

Now that's rich.:D

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2007, 01:49 AM
Give it to Auston English!

SoonerKnight
11/1/2007, 01:51 AM

What he said.......

OKC Sooner
11/1/2007, 02:00 AM

Howard Johnson is right! :texan:

Crucifax Autumn
11/1/2007, 02:02 AM
virtually every QB in the top half of the big 12 has better numbers than Ryan.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/1/2007, 08:52 AM
This is a joke... he played a terrible game against VT... he had 4 good minutes and if VT get the on-side kick the media is talking about what a bad game he had and take him off the list... the two passes were just chucked up and the WR got be hind the bad D VT went to at the end of the game... what a joke!

TUSooner
11/1/2007, 09:39 AM
Matt Forte !!!!

;)

goingoneight
11/1/2007, 06:46 PM
If the Heisman belongs to the "best player" in the nation... you could give it to a number of players (only one of course)...

Malcom Kelly
Glenn Dorsey
Todd Boeckman
numerous other candidates, but just an example is good players.

It has evolved into sort of an MVP award, so players like Matt Ryan get the nod. It would be like if we were 12-0 last year going into Glendale without AD, PT would get some votes as he was really the most importance piece to OUr success last year by just playing stable and being the team leader.

OUmillenium
11/1/2007, 06:54 PM
Dixson(sp) from Oregon would get my vote. He is so fun to watch...and I hate Oregon.

Q22
11/1/2007, 11:02 PM
I'd go with Dixon at this point. but the heisman is a joke.

oupride
11/2/2007, 08:14 AM
I'd go with Dixon at this point. but the heisman is a joke.

Let's be honest, if it was not a joke it would go to Darren McFadden.

Desert Sapper
11/2/2007, 09:14 AM
Let's be honest, if it was not a joke it would go to Darren McFadden.

If it was not a joke, AD would have won it as a Freshman.

If it was not a joke, a defensive player would have won the award at least half the time, and an O-Lineman would have won it at least a couple times.

If it was not a joke, Archie Griffin would have never won it twice.

If it was not a joke, more than half the people on the list of awardees would have never won it.

If it was not a joke, teams in the FCS (former I-AA), Div II, and Div III, would all be eligible and somebody from one of those divisions would make the list regularly.

If it was not a joke, it would go to somebody other than a Junior or Senior RB/QB.

The fact is that it is a joke, and as much as I like when we have somebody win the award, it has lost whatever relevance it may have had.