PDA

View Full Version : And they say pitbulls are dangerous...

limey_sooner
10/30/2007, 09:41 AM
Dog Shoots Man On Hunting Trip In Iowa

By Sky News SkyNews - 2 hours 25 minutes ago

A man has been shot by his dog while on a hunting trip in the United States.

James Harris, 37, was shot in the leg after one of his hunting dogs stepped on his gun.

He had put the shotgun on the ground in order to retrieve a pheasant that had just been shot.

Up to 120 birdshot pellets hit him in the left calf at short range, according to authorities in Iowa.

A local official said the injury was not life-threatening, but would "give him trouble for a long time".

Alan Foster, a spokesman for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, said it was not uncommon for hunters to be shot by their dogs.

He said: "I hear about it a couple times a year.

"They'll step on the trigger assembly and, if the gun for whatever reason wasn't on safety, it doesn't take a whole lot to trip a trigger."

Mr Harris was treated at Grinnell Regional Medical Centre and later transported by helicopter to University of Iowa Hospitals in Iowa City, following the accident in Poweshiek County.

An investigation into the accident is under way.

C&CDean
10/30/2007, 09:47 AM
And I'll bet this makes your gun-hating bleeding liberal heart warm. No?

soonerhubs
10/30/2007, 09:53 AM
I just think it emphasizes the importance of taking the dog to the Hunter's safety course. :D

soonerhubs
10/30/2007, 09:57 AM
Liberals love Guns and violence, but you have to utilize the one mindless caveat they've installed. You must claim to be an Islamo Fascist. It worked for the Iranian president at Columbia University.

KABOOKIE
10/30/2007, 11:38 AM
I never believe these stories. It's always the hunter that shoots himself in the leg and to avoid looking like a total f'ing "2nd life loser" blames it on the dog.

limey_sooner
10/30/2007, 06:22 PM

LOL. Yeah, gun hating. I've probably spent more time deer hunting than you have having sex with your wife. Now granted that at 2 minutes a pop for you that's not very much but...

goingoneight
10/30/2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe we should send that doggy after Michael Vick. :pop:

StoopTroup
10/31/2007, 03:49 AM
I know some folks who've shot their dogs but to have your own dog shoot you would be hard to live with....

I'm pretty sure I'd have to put him down.

Jerk
10/31/2007, 05:48 AM
This is why I don't use birdshot for self-defense. Slugs or 00 buckshot only.

Jerk
10/31/2007, 06:04 AM
LOL. Yeah, gun hating. I've probably spent more time deer hunting than you have having sex with your wife. Now granted that at 2 minutes a pop for you that's not very much but...

I guess this means that deer hunting = support for the second amendment as an individual right of self-preservation against criminal activity or government tyranny. I'm glad you're on the right side of this issue:texan:

(now awaiting the obligitory "you don't need an AK-47 to hunt deer!" response.)

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 07:00 AM
This is why I don't use birdshot for self-defense. Slugs or 00 buckshot only.
Dogs are less accruate with slugs or 00?

C&CDean
10/31/2007, 08:30 AM

Dude, I've spent more time ****ing your wife while you were out logging all those mega-hours being Rambo Lite.

StoopTroup
10/31/2007, 08:40 AM
:pop:

soonerhubs
10/31/2007, 09:13 AM
*sitting by StoopTroup*:pop:

badger
10/31/2007, 10:52 AM
What a bratty dog. Dude probably said "no doggie treats until after you finish your doggie slop" and bratty dog shot him. Where are we at in society today when bratty dogs turn into murderers?

KABOOKIE
10/31/2007, 11:20 AM
Dogs are less accruate with slugs or 00?

Nooooo. I think Jerk was implying that you're more likely to be wounded with bird shot than slugs or 00 when shot at the same distance. Basically you'd have to stick that 12g in someone's belly to kill them with bird shot.

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 03:33 PM
I think what he was actually saying is that the guy walked away from this too easy because it was bird shot. For self defense, he wants to put the guy on his butt.

Or the dog isn't accurate.

C&CDean
10/31/2007, 03:40 PM
Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but bird shot will sure enough kill you out to about 15 yards or so. Inside of 5 yards it will cut a person in half.

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 03:42 PM
so how close was the guy to his gun that he just got peppered?

dolemitesooner
10/31/2007, 03:44 PM
LOL. Yeah, gun hating. I've probably spent more time deer hunting than you have having sex with your wife. Now granted that at 2 minutes a pop for you that's not very much but...Yeah cause Dean never hunts?
:rolleyes:

WHO IN THE **** ARE YOU

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah cause Dean never hunts?

WHO IN THE **** ARE YOU
he didn't compare his hunting to Dean's hunting.

He compared it to his sexual escapades on the homefront.

dolemitesooner
10/31/2007, 03:52 PM
he didn't compare his hunting to Dean's hunting.

He compared it to his sexual escapades on the homefront.
Yeah cause Dean never ****s :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 04:03 PM
you disappear for a while and come back all :rolleyes:

dolemitesooner
10/31/2007, 04:12 PM
you disappear for a while and come back all :rolleyes:
What are you talking about. I have been around. :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 04:20 PM

;)

KABOOKIE
10/31/2007, 04:25 PM
so how close was the guy to his gun that he just got peppered?

+15 yards? :D

C&CDean
10/31/2007, 04:31 PM
I just actually read the account our good poster limey put up. I'm calling major Doleo **** on this one. 120 pellets hit him? If 120, oh, let's say #8 shot entered your leg at close range you wouldn't have anything left south of the wound. If he was further than about 2-3 yards, there's no way in hell 120 pellets would hit him. Furthermore, even with #8 shot I'm not sure there's 120 pellets in a shell.

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2007, 04:35 PM
Exactly my point. To get peppered you'd have to be some distance from the gun. But the likelihood of getting peppered by a dog and a gun laying a random direction goes down with each step away.

Unless the proximity to the ground causes a lot of ricochet from a very close range.

It's all fishy to me.

dolemitesooner
10/31/2007, 04:36 PM
I just actually read the account our good poster limey put up. I'm calling major Doleo **** on this one. 120 pellets hit him? If 120, oh, let's say #8 shot entered your leg at close range you wouldn't have anything left south of the wound. If he was further than about 2-3 yards, there's no way in hell 120 pellets would hit him. Furthermore, even with #8 shot I'm not sure there's 120 pellets in a shell.
What are you talking about. Limey Has went deer hunting more times than you have ****ed your wife.

You know nothing.:D