PDA

View Full Version : Coach Davie just said we were..

Blitzkrieg
10/30/2007, 09:21 AM
.. On KC radio this AM, he was asked who the two best teams were, not where they should be ranked, and he said very quickly LSU and Oklahoma were the two most talented teams in the land.

I'm surprised that Herbie, Corso, basically all the talking heads put us in their personal top 3 because I'm not so sure we are that good this year. Our usual cry of foul play really can't be called into play this year, we are getting the benefit of the doubt in most cases. We are wildly inconsistent, and I really have to question our ability to play well away from home. I have no doubt we can also beat any team in the land this year, but I think about 5 or 6 teams can do the same.

The real killer is the PAC 10 and Big 11 not having a champ game. That's where BC, LSU and KU will falter.

oupride
10/30/2007, 10:03 AM
The real killer is the PAC 10 and Big 11 not having a champ game. That's where BC, LSU and KU will falter.

Huh? KU = Kansas? Kansas is neither PAC 10 or Big 11. Big 12 and SEC (LSU) have champ game. Please explain.

arcman46
10/30/2007, 10:17 AM
What he is saying is that BC will fall in the ACC CG; Kansas in the Big 12 CG, and LSU in the SEC CG. the PAC 10 and Big 10(11) don't have a CG to trip up ASU/Oregon or tOSU.

rhombic21
10/30/2007, 10:24 AM
A Big 10 CG wouldn't matter. Ohio State is the only legitimate top 25 team in that conference.

I don't know if we're the best either. Hard to say, really. At times we've looked pretty freaking good, but at other times we have struggled. It certainly wouldn't hurt our case to start putting up some impressive wins here, like we were at the beginning of the season.

TUSooner
10/30/2007, 10:27 AM
Since when do we give a flying piece of horse crap about what Bob "Palooka" Davie says?
His only claim to fame is that he stunk less than Weis.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/30/2007, 12:06 PM
Any ND coach that sucks is a good ND coach.

Ground_Attack
10/30/2007, 12:17 PM
Since when do we give a flying piece of horse crap about what Bob "Palooka" Davie says?

that and he wore those really creepy short shorts while at ATM. The only reason I know this is because they show clips of at during every game he does. Its just not right.

Stoop Dawg
10/30/2007, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised that Herbie, Corso, basically all the talking heads put us in their personal top 3 because I'm not so sure we are that good this year.

I agree with you. I'm not sure why we're gettin all the love this year. Maybe because everyone else sucks too.

MextheBulldog
10/30/2007, 12:49 PM
C'mon folks, you cannot have it both ways. If the talking heads do not mention us, everyone bitches and moans "we do not get respect". If they DO mention us as top notch, then we're doubting it.

Stop and smell the roses. This team is immensely talented.

oupride
10/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Ditto. I have said on here before this is a very good team. So what if we are not rated #1 or #2 right now? Do not get all twisted into a pretzel about it. The BCS has flaws. Period. Nothing matters until the season is over and we win the Big 12. We are blessed to have a very good team to support.

Stoop Dawg
10/30/2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe because everyone else sucks too.

That's a poor choice of words on my part. It implies that our team sucks, and that's certainly not the case.

We have a very good team. I just don't think they compare to some of the "great" teams we have had in the past. That's all.

But since no one else has fielded a "great" team this year, we're still in the mix.

Sooner02
10/30/2007, 01:13 PM
Jesse Palmer said he wanted to see a Hawaii/OU BCS game. Let the drum beat start for Boise State Pt. 2.

stoopified
10/30/2007, 02:11 PM
I agree with you. I'm not sure why we're gettin all the love this year. Maybe because everyone else sucks too.We are OU,by extension everyone should love us.Ok well everyone like me who are gifted with crimson lenses.

Sooner02
10/30/2007, 02:42 PM
We are getting the high rankings because people have watched us and realize we're a very good football team who could beat most, and probably, any team out there right now if we play to our potential. I have no doubt we can beat the teams ranked above us and the pollsters recognize our abilities. Our problem is the narrow loss and lackluster showings thereafter, and of course, sos.

TopDawg
10/30/2007, 02:46 PM

You must not be aware that any individual who gives OU props is immediately granted "Football Genius" status.

Until they say something that's not 100% praise of us (this sometimes takes the form of them simply not saying anything about us). At that point they are demoted to "Football Imbecile" status.

Everybody on those two lists is considered day-to-day.

TUSooner
10/30/2007, 02:47 PM
You must not be aware that any individual who gives OU props is immediately granted "Football Genius" status.

Until they say something that's not 100% praise of us (this sometimes takes the form of them simply not saying anything about us). At that point they are demoted to "Football Imbecile" status.

Everybody on those two lists is considered day-to-day.

I'm so sorry. :O

:D

TXBOOMER
10/30/2007, 03:22 PM
A Big 10 CG wouldn't matter. Ohio State is the only legitimate top 25 team in that conference.

I don't know if we're the best either. Hard to say, really. At times we've looked pretty freaking good, but at other times we have struggled. It certainly wouldn't hurt our case to start putting up some impressive wins here, like we were at the beginning of the season.

Truer words have never been spoken. The Big 10 is stugguuuing this year.

AzianSooner
10/30/2007, 04:01 PM
Bob Davie talks good about OU many times in the last 2 years.

85sooners
10/30/2007, 04:05 PM
davie is a great guy.........

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2007, 05:06 PM
this is nothing more than an attempt to create controversy to give them something to talk about and fill air time

when we are left out of the MNC game, they'll be able to go back and say we are the reason a playoff is needed, because we belong in the gam

they do this crap every year and the lemming fans fall for it every.time

adoniijahsooner
10/30/2007, 05:50 PM
C'mon folks, you cannot have it both ways. If the talking heads do not mention us, everyone bitches and moans "we do not get respect". If they DO mention us as top notch, then we're doubting it.

People doubt because of the supposed flaws in this team, but every team in the nation has flaws, I just happened to think that Davie is right about us and LSU, because we are the 2 teams that can play good offense and defense. Oregon has a excellent offense but the defense stinks, Ohio State plays terrific defense but the offense is still unproven against a top 10 team, and and i am still not certain about Arizona State.

TMcGee86
10/30/2007, 06:08 PM
While I agree with the sentiment in starting this thread, because I am not all that sure we are awesome yet, I look back and think we did beat a decent and immensely fired-up Texas team on the road, even if it was a neutral field.

And really the only two games we looked poor in were Colorado and ISU.

I can rationalize Colorado in that it was a perfect storm of the team not having played a road game yet, not having been forced to play for four quarters yet, playing at altitude, and playing the best defense they had faced, while not having any real motivation to get up for a big opponent.

All of those factors added up to a team that was undermotivated, and easily winded, which lead to our giving up a lead and losing in the last seconds.

ISU was just another ho-hum opponent that our young team couldnt seem to get motivated to play. Couple that with Bradford being off in a windy condition and you have a bad offensive performance. Which, when you look back on that game, is all that really went wrong, as the defense played outstanding.

Granted, we havent played a "quality" opponent on the road yet so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think this team can be as good on any given day as any other team out there right now.

For that reason I would much rather see us somehow play LSU in a BCS game than Hawaii or any other Boise-esque team. (obviously assuming that we dont make the MNC game).

It would be pretty sweet to see the AP award the winner of the LSU/OU game the final top spot over the winner of a tOSU/ASU BCS game.

SoonerKnight
10/30/2007, 07:49 PM
This team is young. They have experience but they also seem to play to the caliber of the team they are playing at the time. Colorado they overlooked because they thought they would be on cruise control. Unlike us fans they actually have to earn those wins. With that I think this is a very talented team. Talent does not always win! It is talent, heart, and attitude that make winners. If you play like every game is a chance to show your the best you'll usually win.