PDA

View Full Version : How dare you rob my invisible store!

KC//CRIMSON
10/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Second Life Players Bring Virtual Reality to Court

The Most Surreal Lawsuit Ever?

Should a judge decide how to apply U.S. law in an alternate universe? Like the next installment of Terminator, we all knew this day was coming: the first-ever Second Life lawsuit. Sure, it involves people who aren't real stealing products that aren't real, in a virtual world that barely resembles our own. Still, this is America! Since when has reality been required for legal action?

The question comes to mind as a federal district court in Brooklyn begins hearing the case of Eros v. Simon. According to the complaint, six virtual merchants are suing Thomas Simon of Queens, N.Y., for an undisclosed amount of money, claiming he stole the computer code for products they sell in their virtual stores. These products range from clothing for avatars to sexual aides that facilitate avatar sex. And while this may sound like a joke to you, for those involved it is absolutely serious. Really!

In Second Life, more than nine million users spend many real hours and lots of very real money to clothe, feed and comfort their avatars. According to Linden Labs, proprietors of the virtual environment platform where all this craziness takes place, users cumulatively conduct transactions totaling more than $1 million each day. That's real dollars -- the kind you can use to clothe, feed and comfort yourself in the real world.

The defendant, who goes by Rase Kenzo in Second Life, has a pretty good excuse: "It's only a computer game!" And in parts, the lengthy suit does read like an Onion article. For instance: Eros CEO Kevin Alderman (aka "Stroker Serpentine") claims his company "is engaged in, inter alia, the sale of a number of adult-themed virtual objects" including "the SexGen Platinum Base Unit v4.01... and the SexGen Platinum+Diamond Base v5.01." These products have, according to the claim, "built a reputation within Second Life for performance, quality and value, and ... are among the best selling adult-themed virtual objects within Second Life." By using Eros's hard-earned reputation to push his knockoff products, the suit alleges, Kenzo literally took money out of Stroker's pocket.

True, this case involves real world money, so it is different from suing an opponent in "Mortal Kombat" for wrongful death, say, or taking a fellow World of Warcraft gamer to The International War Crimes Tribunal.

Still, these virtual-world real-world lawsuits can get pretty tricky. How and to what extent should real laws apply in Second Life? For instance, Simon claims that the plaintiffs found their "evidence" by taking pictures inside his Second Life home, which they entered without warrant or permission. Should that evidence be considered admissible? And since Simon allegedly exploited holes within the Second Life platform to create his duplicate products, is Linden Labs also liable somehow?

The only hope may be if Second Life, which has its own culture, proto-customs and currency, could come up with some virtual solution. If not, there may be virtually millions of other such lawsuits popping up... for real.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/10/second_life_players_bring_virt.html

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 10:14 PM
OK, now WTF is the deal with second life again? I looked that sh*t up on wiki, I don't get it :confused: :confused:

mdklatt
10/29/2007, 10:22 PM
Second Life is not a game. It doesn't have winners and losers.

Oh, it has losers.

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 10:30 PM
Why not just go for real, instead of taking a little sims dude out in a nerd world?

sanantoniosooner
10/29/2007, 10:33 PM
In my second life I'm a poster on SF.com..........but I can fly.

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 10:34 PM
In my second life I'm a poster on SF.com..........but I can fly.

What a dork, in my second life I play this bad a$$ game called third life. Pfft, dork

mdklatt
10/29/2007, 10:41 PM
What a dork, in my second life I play this bad a$$ game called third life. Pfft, dork

I think you mean Second Second Life.

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 10:47 PM
I imagine a bunch of people who look like c_p's avatar running around and "fraging" other c_p avatars

OUDoc
10/30/2007, 08:13 AM
Why don't they hire virtual hitmen to break his virtual knees (or "off" him)?

KABOOKIE
10/30/2007, 09:12 AM

I wonder how many 2nd Life gamers I could beat up in a cage match?

OUDoc
10/30/2007, 09:29 AM
I wonder how many 2nd Life gamers I could beat up in a cage match?
All of them.

landrun
10/30/2007, 12:19 PM
I'm a little confused. I have no idea what they're talking about.

Would this be like me suing some for stealing my Monopoly money??

OUDoc
10/30/2007, 12:22 PM

Not really. It would be like you suing for stealing "virtual" Monopoly money.

Vaevictis
10/30/2007, 12:27 PM
... except for the fact that the "virtual" money in Second Life has actual real world value -- about L$275 to $1 USD -- so any losses in Second Life really are losses in the real world.

Stoop Dawg
10/30/2007, 01:20 PM

No. As I understand it, it would be like you stealing Microsoft's code for Word, making a "very similar" version of your own using that code, then selling it for a profit.

I'm sure Microsoft would just let it go.....

OUDoc
10/30/2007, 01:25 PM
No. As I understand it, it would be like you stealing Microsoft's code for Word, making a "very similar" version of your own using that code, then selling it for a profit.

I'm sure Microsoft would just let it go.....
It seems more like stealing the code for Monopoly and creating more money for yourself within that game. The fact that it has value outside the Second Life is the tricky part.

SoonerBBall
10/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Second Life is not a game. It doesn't have winners and losers.

Oh, it has losers.

QFT.

Stoop Dawg
10/30/2007, 01:42 PM
It's possible that I'm mis-interpreting it, but this quote makes me think those "virtual products" are selling for real money:

"In Second Life, more than nine million users spend many real hours and lots of very real money to clothe, feed and comfort their avatars. According to Linden Labs, proprietors of the virtual environment platform where all this craziness takes place, users cumulatively conduct transactions totaling more than $1 million each day. That's real dollars -- the kind you can use to clothe, feed and comfort yourself in the real world."

So I'm guessing that someone spent some real time and real money creating these "virtual products" and was making real money selling them. Again, I know nothing about the game and I might be completely misunderstanding the situation.

KABOOKIE
10/30/2007, 01:53 PM
I guess you can't get baned in 2nd Life?

colleyvillesooner
10/30/2007, 02:04 PM
HO-Lee-****. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162315.html)]

Ailin Graef--who is better known by the name Anshe Chung--works as a real estate developer. She buys property, develops it, resells it, and uses the profits to buy even more. Her business has rapidly snowballed, and she has just made her first million--although none of the "property" is real.

All the houses are virtual houses in the online game Second Life--where players create an avatar and can buy, redecorate, and furnish property; run businesses; and interact with other players. Now Graef has become the first virtual-world millionaire.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_(Second_Life)

tommieharris91
10/30/2007, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the USD is depreciating rapidly against the L$. In one year the L$ will be worth more than the USD.

;)

KC//CRIMSON
10/30/2007, 03:35 PM

Because if they get caught they would get charged for murder in their first life.:D

Stoop Dawg
10/30/2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.getafirstlife.com/