PDA

View Full Version : When The Corn Rains, The Corn Pours

Scott D
10/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Sam Keller out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

Nebraska QB Keller out for season with injury
Posted: October 29, 2007

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller is out for the season with a shoulder injury and Joe Ganz will start this week against eighth-ranked Kansas, coach Bill Callahan said Monday.

It's the second time that Keller has had an injury prematurely end a season and another blow for a program that has spiraled downward after reaching the Big 12 championship game last season.

The Cornhuskers (4-5, 1-4 Big 12) have lost four straight for the first time since 1961 and are 17-point underdogs for this Saturday's game in Lawrence, Kan.

Callahan didn't specify the type of injury to Keller's shoulder. Keller was hurt with 2:37 left in Saturday's 28-25 loss at Texas when he was hit by defensive end Eddie Jones. Keller's left arm was in a sling as he stood on the sideline near the end of the game.

Callahan also announced that linebacker Lance Brandenburgh suffered a season-ending shoulder injury against the Longhorns. Brandenburgh was hurt trying to make a tackle in the fourth quarter.

Keller transferred from Arizona State last year, was named Nebraska's scout team player of the year and then won the starting job over Ganz in preseason practice. He completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,422 yards and 14 touchdowns. He was intercepted 10 times.

"We couldn't be more pleased with everything he's done for us," Callahan said during a teleconference with reporters. "Just his ability to come in as a transfer student and be a player who earned the respect of his teammates.

"He's had ups and downs. I'm appreciative of his efforts. He's a good kid, a classy individual. He was a real leader for us during some troubled times."

Ganz, a junior, has appeared in three games this season. He completed 2 of 3 passes against Texas, including a 4-yarder for a touchdown to Maurice Purify. Ganz also converted on a 2-point pass to Nate Swift.

Ganz's other appearances came in wins over Nevada and Iowa State.

Ganz's running ability gives the Huskers flexibility in their offense. He appeared in five games as Zac Taylor's backup last season.

"We've given our backup quite a few (practice) reps during the season, and he's well-prepared," Callahan said. "He'll give it his all. He's excited about the opportunity. Our team and staff have the utmost confidence in him. We lose a good player, but we have a good player stepping in."

Either true freshman Patrick Witt or junior Beau Davis will back up Ganz. Callahan said a decision on the backup would be made later in the week.

Keller had a college career of great highs and great lows.

He emerged in 2004 at Arizona State, making his first career start against Purdue in the Sun Bowl. He threw for 370 yards and three touchdowns and was named the game's most valuable player.

Keller started ASU's first seven games in 2005, throwing for 2,165 yards and 20 touchdowns. He threw for four touchdowns in each of the first four games, including 400-yard outings against LSU and Northwestern.

But a thumb injury against Oregon ended his season, and he lost his job to Rudy Carpenter before the 2006 season in a strange twist. Dirk Koetter, since fired at ASU, named Keller the starter in preseason camp but changed his mind the next day and announced he would go with Carpenter.

With one season of eligibility remaining, Keller opted to transfer to Nebraska, where he toiled on the scout team during the year he was required to sit out.

"I have respect and admiration for him as a person and competitor," Callahan said. "This hurts us, but it also creates an opportunity for Joe Ganz to step up."

Widescreen
10/29/2007, 01:36 PM
"He's had ups and downs. I'm appreciative of his efforts. He's a good kid, a classy individual. He was a real leader for us during some troubled times."
Uh, did he die or something? Why the past tense? If he's really a leader, he'll continue to be a leader from the sidelines. Callafran is an idoit.

r5TPsooner
10/29/2007, 01:56 PM
He'll still be a leader for the team.... in the tittay bars.

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2007, 02:20 PM
Keller's toast for the season.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/10/29/bc.fbc.nebraska.keller.ap/index.html

Good luck against Kansas, Callenberger!

Widescreen
10/29/2007, 02:28 PM
That's too bad. I wonder what Keller's thoughts are now on his decision to go to NU. Obviously he could've gotten hurt anywhere, but he went to a team that is likely going to have a losing season and I'm sure he was hoping to use NU as a springboard to the NFL.

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2007, 02:33 PM
Crap...I'm blind as a bat!
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102457

Mods, can we merge the threads?

snp
10/29/2007, 03:14 PM
This is almost helpful as Ganz is going to get a lot of practice and they weren't going to win any of their remaining games anyways.

stoopified
10/29/2007, 03:38 PM
Crap...I'm blind as a bat!
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102457

Mods, can we merge the threads?:)

royalfan5
10/29/2007, 03:38 PM
The better story is this one: http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/10/29/huskerextra/football/doc472560bb69760449036376.txt

Osborne making reference to the composition of the walk-on program up to the new coaching staff.

sooneron
10/29/2007, 03:48 PM
Callahan is so done.

stoopified
10/29/2007, 04:39 PM
Callahan is so done.
Damn it! ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR!ONE MORE YEAR!ONE MORE YEAR!

Outopia
10/29/2007, 05:37 PM
This is so like OU in the mid to late 90's. Didn't we lose a starting quaterback during that time too? I seem to remember that we did once or twice. Anyone remember? Those years seem to be in fog for me now. I remember the years before '95 and from '99 on, but those years not so much. Anyone?

85sooners
10/29/2007, 07:33 PM
:eek:

Stitch Face
10/29/2007, 08:08 PM
They best be savorin' those four wins of theirs.

Stitch Face
10/29/2007, 08:11 PM
Uh, did he die or something? Why the past tense? If he's really a leader, he'll continue to be a leader from the sidelines. Callafran is an idoit.

I'm pretty sure that every husker player is dead to Callahan at this point.