PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score???

Collier11
10/29/2007, 11:11 AM
Id like to see some opinions, ive heard alot since yesterday about the Patriots and how the keep running up the score on teams and how they are classless for it. Tom Jackson on ESPN summed it up perfectly to me when he said "if you dont like it do something about it". This isnt Highschool, this isnt even college where I agree running up the score and leaving starters in late into blowouts is uncalled for, but this is the Gosh Dang NFL, these are paid professionals whose millionaire jobs pay them to be good at football. If you get beat by 50 pts then get better. The Patriots JOB is to be the best team that they can be, thats what they get paid for...that is also the Dolphins and the Redskins job. So maybe those other teams arent doing their job the way they should and that is why they are so defensive about it...Let me know what you think??

Curly Bill
10/29/2007, 11:15 AM
Keep playing until the horn goes off. If at the end of that you have 100 points and the other team has 0 then too bad. If you suck and the Patriots make that obvious that's not their fault, it's yours.

Salt City Sooner
10/29/2007, 11:48 AM
"If you don't like it, get better."

-A certain former OU hoops coach with whom I seriously doubt any OU fan had a problem with when he made the scoreboard at LNC look like a pinball machine-

Scott D
10/29/2007, 11:56 AM
the only thing I question is when Belichek thought he'd send a message to Matt Cassell by benching him after he threw a pick and putting Brady back in (against Miami). I mean c'mon, put the 3rd string guy in if you really want to send a message to the backup QB.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2007, 12:12 PM
the only thing I question is when Belichek thought he'd send a message to Matt Cassell by benching him after he threw a pick and putting Brady back in (against Miami). I mean c'mon, put the 3rd string guy in if you really want to send a message to the backup QB.

Exactly. I m gonna send you a message by playing the guy who plays in front of you..Not exactly genius

MextheBulldog
10/29/2007, 12:22 PM
To borrow from a current, unnamed big 12 coach..

"THIS IS THE NFL! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, GO PLAY INTRAMURALS!!"

GrapevineSooner
10/29/2007, 04:19 PM
The only problem I'd have with it is if I was a Pats fan and Tom Brady got hurt in the process of running up the score.

Otherwise, please tell Randall Godfrey and the rest of the Redskins defense that if you're truly ****ed off...

GET BETTER!!!

BillyBall
10/29/2007, 04:43 PM
On dispersive ground, therefore, fight not. On facile ground, halt not. On contentious ground, attack not. On open ground, do not try to block the enemy's way. On the ground of intersecting highways, join hands with your allies. On serious ground, gather in plunder. In difficult ground, keep steadily on the march. On hemmed-in ground, resort to stratagem. On desperate ground, fight.
- Sun Tzu

SOONER STEAKER
10/29/2007, 05:10 PM
If ya can run up the score, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love beating teams 77-0 and hearing about it the next day by the SPORTS REPORTERS.

Nothin better than a aggie *** whippin

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 07:18 PM
Apparently Randall Godfrey thought it was running up the score.

link (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/28/randall-godfrey-to-bill-belichick-you-gotta-show-some-class-s/?ncid=NWS00010000000001)

tulsaoilerfan
10/29/2007, 10:15 PM
I can't stand the Pats, but i hate the Redskins even more; no problems here. :) :) :) :)

TUSooner
11/1/2007, 10:22 AM
It might seem "nice" to call off the dogs, but taking a knee with lots of time on the clock (like the Saints did aganst the Cowboys last year) is as much like "rubbing it in" as running up the score. I LIKE to see teams keep playing!
Kinda like the Brits booing when E. Manning took a knee to run out the clock at the end of the game in London. :D

Scott D
11/1/2007, 02:08 PM
the Brits were booing because they knew that even Tottenham could beat the Dolphins this year ;)

bluedogok
11/1/2007, 09:43 PM
I have been listening to a Boston sports talk station lately so it has been a big topic of discussion on there even during the World Series.

I think we saw a prime example in 2003 of how "letting off the gas" in games can lull you into complacency during the season and can put you in a bad situation against a good opponent. They strive to play a "perfect game" and don't we hear that from Stoops at times? They were on the wrong end of a bunch of games 10-15 years ago just like we found out what it was like.

Keep the hammer down and let the whiners whine.....

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 09:51 PM
I heard a good take on it the other day from Chris Collinsworth.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with running up the score but a team will come along and blitz the crap out of Brady. You'll get burned blitzing, but what's the difference between losing by 28 or 35? They'll bring the heat and at least make him pay. And bad things can happen when you play it that way, even if it's clean.

Cam
11/1/2007, 09:56 PM
Apparently Randall Godfrey thought it was running up the score.

link (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/28/randall-godfrey-to-bill-belichick-you-gotta-show-some-class-s/?ncid=NWS00010000000001)
Maybe Randall should be thankful he gets paid a butt load of money to play a game. Apparently, he should also get better. That 1 (one) tackle performance against NE just ain't gonna cut it.