PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Big XII start over with conference records?

OUDoc
10/29/2007, 08:09 AM
Seriously. I think most conferences have added teams from time to time and not started conference records over. I have a bad feeling texas or A&M must have made that stipulation before joining. If my math is good, 67% of the Big 8 makes up the Big XII, so majority should rule. The texas schools joined the Big 8, it seems to me.
And why are we only counting 12 years of the Big XII? The Big 10 became the Big Televen and didn't start over, did it?

SteelClip49
10/29/2007, 08:46 AM
Good point and I figure it's safe to say that Texas' titles in 63, 69, 70 and TAMU's in 1939 now can be joined all together with the Big XII which gives us 18 all in the AP era, which is 3 more than what the SEC has.

Penn State won its 2 titles as independents; Michigan State's 1952 title was before their entry to the Big Ten (they joined in 1953).

Eventually Miami's titles will become tied with the ACC (3 were won as independents, 2 in the Big East).

Most of Georgia Tech's tradition was achieved while in the SEC but now everything is tied into the ACC.

This may not be what you are looking at Doc but I figure you would give it several years before becoming attached with another conference or adding on and keeping the records going. The records and accomplishments go along with the team therefore it counts while being in the XII.

mdklatt
10/29/2007, 09:54 AM
The Big 8 didn't add any teams, it ceased to be. It makes sense to start the records over, but that won't stop anybody from looking at the accomplishments of each team from before they were in the Big 12.

MamaMia
10/29/2007, 10:07 AM
If we would have been named the Midwest/Southern Conference, instead of the Big 8, we wouldn't have had that problem. Hindsight. :)

OUDoc
10/29/2007, 09:41 PM
The Big 8 didn't add any teams, it ceased to be.
I never saw it that way, maybe just because the naming was similar. Seemed like we added 4 members and became the Big XII.

KingBarry
11/1/2007, 11:57 AM
Look, the reality is that Doc is right, WE added four teams to our already existing conference and that conference became the BigXII.

UNFORTUNATELY, those four teams happened to all be from the most self-centered state in this union, so officially they had to make it seem that nothing had ever happened before they came along.

I think we'll keep the trophies either way.