PDA

View Full Version : Bennett out: I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Leach was in Dallas tonight

aurorasooner
10/28/2007, 05:25 PM
Those KSU defenses that he coached were fairly stout and holding Tulsa to just 29 points at Tulsa "ain't" too shabby either.
Dallas Morning News: Bennett Out

The Dallas Morning News confirms our earlier report: SMU on Sunday fired football coach Phil Bennett, according to a source in the athletic department. He will coach out the final four games of the season, through the Nov. 24 season finale at Memphis. Athletic director Steve Orsini notified Bennett, 18-48 in almost six seasons, of his decision this afternoon, less than 24 hours after the Mustangs lost, 29-23, at Tulsa and were mathematically eliminated from becoming bowl eligible.

yermom
10/28/2007, 06:39 PM
huh?

AlabamaSooner
10/28/2007, 06:51 PM
huh?x2

BillyBall
10/28/2007, 06:52 PM
Phil Bennett used to be DC at KSU, he now has no job. Aurora thinks that he might fit in Lubbock. YWIA ;)

Charla
10/28/2007, 07:03 PM
Last time I looked L-U-B-B-O-C-K nope there is no "D" there.

yermom
10/28/2007, 07:16 PM
Phil Bennett used to be DC at KSU, he now has no job. Aurora thinks that he might fit in Lubbock. YWIA ;)

ok, gotcha :D

aurorasooner
10/28/2007, 07:19 PM
Not only that, but if TO has already decided on a replacement for Clownahan, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett contacted about being the new Nebraska DC. I was surprised that he tried to rebuild that SMU program in the 1st place. Things that make me scratch my head are quality DCs Bennett going to SMU, Chizek going to ISU, and to a lesser extent Mike Stoops taking the UA job.
I have no idea what TO's coaching search intentions are, but if ISU didn't lock Chizek in with a big buyout (which they probably did) and if Nebraska isn't scared of starting a border war with Iowa, they could do a lot worse than pirating Chizek out of Iowa. That would be some serious bad blood in the Big 12 and almost as bad as if Sherri would've jumped ship to Austin. I could see that azzhole Pederson doing that if he would've had the stones to table that ridiculous Clownahan contract extension, i but Osborne, probably not.

KABOOKIE
10/28/2007, 07:20 PM
Mike Leach was a defensive coordinator at KState?

aurorasooner
10/28/2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry. Does this make it easier for you.
Dallas Morning News: Bennett Out

The Dallas Morning News confirms our earlier report: SMU on Sunday fired football coach Phil Bennett, according to a source in the athletic department. He will coach out the final four games of the season, through the Nov. 24 season finale at Memphis. Athletic director Steve Orsini notified Bennett, 18-48 in almost six seasons, of his decision this afternoon, less than 24 hours after the Mustangs lost, 29-23, at Tulsa and were mathematically eliminated from becoming bowl eligible.Those KSU defenses that he coached were fairly stout and holding Tulsa to just 29 points at Tulsa "ain't" too shabby either.
I agree, that trying to build a quality defense in Lubbock with Mike Leach having the final say and not willing to tame his pass happy offense is probably not going to happen.

jkjsooner
10/28/2007, 07:47 PM
Those KSU defenses that he coached were fairly stout and holding Tulsa to just 29 points at Tulsa "ain't" too shabby either.

Now that we've determined "he" is Bennett and not Mike Leach, I understand your point.

While that may be true, I question how much even a great d-coordinator could do in Lubbock. Let's face it, they get the talent they get on offense because of Leach's "innovate" offense. Even a good defensive guy is not going to draw the talent to Lubbock that Leach can get on offense.

I also think the defense suffers a little by not going up against a balanced / more traditional offense every day in practice. Sure, you simulate the other team's offense but it's not the same. When these guys are scrimmaging #1 against #1 they're facing Leach's offense - not extremely typical of what they will see throughout the year.

Given, plenty of teams run "spread" offenses now but I'm not sure what that term means anymore and I don't think Leach's version represents the majority of them.

goingoneight
10/28/2007, 09:10 PM
How come Mike Leach can't coach D at Tech? :confused:

;)

Doged
10/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Aurora, if you'll edit your post and put the following at the top, people will better understand your point (which I think you're right about):

.....trying to hire Bennett.

goingoneight
10/28/2007, 10:26 PM
I think we should hire Mike Leach back and T Tech can have Bennett.

Seems fair, right? Defense wins games, right? :D

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2007, 02:45 PM
...first on the list, Phil Bennet at SMU.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3084368

Good luck getting someone better.

snp
10/29/2007, 02:51 PM
Sumlin might be a candidate for this job.

Grimey
10/29/2007, 02:52 PM
Bennett would make a good D-coordinator for someone, I would think.

snp
10/29/2007, 03:12 PM
Definitely. It's just damn hard to turn around those little schools.

Although I think SMU has the potential to be turned around realtively easy. It's a private school in CUSA, so you'll be able to sneak recruits in that couldn't make it to some other schools. There is a great talent pool to draw from so recruiting will be easier. The fans actually turn out in big numbers to tailgate, so it's not much of a stretch to assume they might actually venture into the stadium if there was a worthy product. The QB and RB are both young and Willis is a fairly talented kid.

And the babes. Lots of babes at SMU.

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2007, 03:14 PM
If TCU can do it...