PDA

View Full Version : why is it when SEC teams knock each other off it's because they have a super tough

usmc-sooner
10/28/2007, 03:33 PM
conference.
When it happens in the B12 it's because the B12 sucks.

We've got 3 teams in the top 10, 4 in the top 15. I think we get the raw end of it sometimes.

sanantoniosooner
10/28/2007, 03:40 PM
I'd like to join you in your complaint, but I still think the B12 is weak.

Rogue
10/28/2007, 03:42 PM
You're both right. This year.
The SEC gets more respect than is due year in and year out. This isn't the year to claim the Big XII is getting hosed though. We're playing in the 4th best conference this year at best.

silverwheels
10/28/2007, 03:46 PM
Most SEC teams could compete with NFL teams. Hell, I'm surprised the SEC hasn't joined the NFL yet.

SoonerEmpire
10/28/2007, 03:49 PM
Most SEC teams could compete with NFL teams. Hell, I'm surprised the SEC hasn't joined the NFL yet.

Umm... I hope that was sarcasm talking. If it was, that's pretty funny. But if not, it was one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. :rolleyes:

silverwheels
10/28/2007, 03:50 PM
Umm... I hope that was sarcasm talking, because if not, it was one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. :rolleyes:

I am never sarcastic.

Ever.

swardboy
10/28/2007, 04:02 PM
Ever.....

silverwheels
10/28/2007, 04:04 PM
EVAR!

OKLA21FAN
10/28/2007, 04:06 PM
I'd like to join you in your complaint, but I still think the B12 is weak.

i bet you don't support the troops either! :pop:

OUstud
10/28/2007, 04:06 PM
It's because EVERY team in the SEC has a 90,000+ seat stadium, fans that wave pom-poms, and crowds so loud it makes Kyle Field seem like a library. Gives me chills just thinking about it. We would get so dominated if we ever had to visit one of those places... :rolleyes:

85sooners
10/28/2007, 04:07 PM
Most SEC teams could compete with NFL teams. Hell, I'm surprised the SEC hasn't joined the NFL yet.:eek:

AlabamaSooner
10/28/2007, 04:19 PM
conference.

We've got 3 teams in the top 10, 4 in the top 15. I think we get the raw end of it sometimes.

I don't think many people think the Big 12 is "down" this year like it has been recently. If nothing else, I've heard some on TV talk about how much stronger the Big 12 is from top to bottom. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten the past few weeks as KU and Mizzou have stepped up (not to mention a better CU team and a decent K-state team). It's not as "top heavy" now with two great teams and 10 bad teams. Regarding the SEC, I think the extreme parity in that conference is a sign that it's a very strong conference. The lower tier teams are now able to beat the upper tier teams on any given day because they're closing the gap. I still think the SEC is the strongest from the bottom to top. However, I am excited that some other teams in the Big 12 are finally starting to show some life.

okiewaker
10/28/2007, 04:45 PM
conference.

Absolutetly agree!

SoonerObsession
10/28/2007, 04:53 PM
I think it's because when it comes to bowl season, the Big 12 hardly ever looks impressive. When the best team in the conference loses to Boise State, and the second best team in the conference (Texas) loses the last 4 games of the season, we tend to lose some validity.

sanantoniosooner
10/28/2007, 05:01 PM
I think it's because when it comes to bowl season, the Big 12 hardly ever looks impressive. When the best team in the conference loses to Boise State, and the second best team in the conference (Texas) loses the last 4 games of the season, we tend to lose some validity.
and UT barely beat an Iowa team that barely qualified for a bowl in the first place.

SoonerEmpire
10/28/2007, 05:05 PM
It doesn't matter. By default, the SEC sucks simply due to the fact that we're not in their conference.

And that's the truth. I personally don't give a damn about the SEC, because OU is not in the SEC. Sure, they have good teams with good tradition. They usually have quality football games that are entertaining to watch. But in the end, I just don't give a damn about them. They're just like any other conference, in my not-so-humble opinion.

To be honest, I really don't care too much about the Big XII either. It's good when our conference is represented well in games by beating teams of other conferences, and I'm all for that (unless it's texass or osu). But, to me, the bottom line is that my loyalties lie with my team, not my conference. What did the conference ever do for my team? What did they ever do for me? NOTHING!

Having said all that, I must admit that I'm a purist at heart. While the Big XII has had its good moments, I still wish it was the Big 8. Nothing like a good ol' OU/NU game the day after Thanksgiving every year! Nothing like playing in the Orange Bowl every year - oftentimes with an NC on the line! Good times!

josh09
10/28/2007, 05:39 PM
conference.

I know, what are we supposed to do, get all 12 of us in the top 25?

I mean, thats what it looks like its going to take to get some respect for the Big XII

Vegas Vic
10/28/2007, 05:56 PM
Right now, the SEC is very close to having 11 bowl eligible teams. That's impressive, regardless of how anyone wants to spin the other stuff.

Readyfor8
10/28/2007, 06:37 PM
Honestly I don't think the SEC is that tough really, I just think it is a perception game. What helps out the SEC more is that they play their weak non conference opponents throughout the year. It looks alot better for the third week of the season that South Carolina is playing Georgia.

Meanwhile the second week of the season LSU plays Virgina Tech while we play Miami, thats good we both get respect from the media that weekend. Where we lose is that we played North Texas, Utah State, and Tulsa for 3 out of 4 weeks meanwhile, LSU has more than a month between Tulane, Louisianna La.

Their creampuffs are spread out through the season and their conference games are spread out through the season and that makes people think that the SEC is playing alot of tough games when the fact is they aren't.

SEC Non Conference

Games vs. BCS conferences - 14 games - 5-5 record - 4 to be played
34 of their games are non BCS Opponents.

BigXII

Games vs. BCS conferences - 10 games - 5-5 record - none to be played
38 games against non BCS Opponents.

Pac10

Games vs. BCS Conferences - 6 games - 5-1 record - none to be played
24 games against non BCS Opponents.

Make up your own mind by the way the Pac10 is 1-1 vs. Notre Dame (not really non BCS) with one game to be played vs. Stanford.

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2007, 07:13 PM
I think it helps if your creampuffs are in-state, because playing a horrible team that traveled all the way from Utah makes it look like you are avoiding good competition. People figure that LSU played Tulane because they have to, even if untrue.

Sonner magic923
10/28/2007, 07:21 PM
We're playing in the 4th best conference this year at best.

I see the SEC and the pac 10 being better than the big 12 but who is the third?

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2007, 07:23 PM
By the way, the SEC has more teams that people associate with good football. LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas have all won national titles since WWII. In the Big XII, we only have Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska. Most don't consider Colorado a traditional football powerhouse. Nebraska is horrible this year.

Sonner magic923
10/28/2007, 07:27 PM
In the Big XII, we only have Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska.

you forgot about the greatest offense in the universe;)

Jdog
10/28/2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe it’s in how the conferences put together their schedules that makes the SEC look better. They create a better impression of being tougher.

If you look at the schedules, there’s really not a lot of difference from one conference to the other.

But if your look at each teams schedules you can see a big difference in how the Big 12 sets up a preseason with a couple of non-conference door mats and a traditionally tough game in the front of the season.

While the SEC schedules a traditionally tough team as the first game, and then blending their non-conference door mats, almost like bye games, into the middle and later parts of the season.

Better marketing-----

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2007, 10:22 PM
Out-of-conference games are tough to schedule in October and November, because the other teams are locked into their own conference schedules. Now, if you want to schedule a team like Notre Dame, fine. But I don't think Notre Dame is in any mood to tangle with the Sooners at this time.

goingoneight
10/28/2007, 10:24 PM
If New England were in the SEC, they'd have about three losses by now. :pop:

Stitch Face
10/28/2007, 10:27 PM
If the SEC played in the NFL they'd beat the Vikings 35-7.

Wait, that's not a joke.

Damn Vikings.

goingoneight
10/28/2007, 10:33 PM
I actually read a YouTube comment list the other day on a video comparing AD to Darren McFadden, and those circle-jerkers started making excuses for DM's "off year" because they say the "competitive balance" is different.

Guessing what that means, I think they believe AD's OL is better and he's in a comfortable situation. Needless to say, they ignored the fact that AD had an NFL-record-setting day against the SUPER BOWL runner-up. That derned SEC is tough, I guess.

Jdog
10/28/2007, 10:37 PM
Out-of-conference games are tough to schedule in October and November, because the other teams are locked into their own conference schedules. Now, if you want to schedule a team like Notre Dame, fine. But I don't think Notre Dame is in any mood to tangle with the Sooners at this time.

My question is why doesn't the SEC schedule Tennessee Tech, Northwestern State, Troy, and Louisiana-Lafayette to play highly ranked SEC teams (all on next weekend schedule) in October when it's easier to schedule? - Like the big 12 teams do?

texashater#1
10/28/2007, 10:39 PM
It's because EVERY team in the SEC has a 90,000+ seat stadium, fans that wave pom-poms, and crowds so loud it makes Kyle Field seem like a library. Gives me chills just thinking about it. We would get so dominated if we ever had to visit one of those places... :rolleyes:

easy there Custer dont get ahead of yourself, remember OU went to Alabama a few years ago and walked away with a win. i think the big 12 is better than it has been the past couple of years but its true they dont get much love but lets face it the SEC is amazing.

SoonerKnight
10/29/2007, 01:09 AM
I work with a guy who is a big LSU fan. He is always talking smack about OU and even today he said "OU should win look how weak their conference and schedule is!" This guy gets on my nerves. I hope Bama rolls over them!!

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2007, 01:17 AM
Yep...And it would be so fitting to have a team garbed in Crimson knock 'em off!

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 01:48 AM
easy there Custer dont get ahead of yourself, remember OU went to Alabama a few years ago and walked away with a win. i think the big 12 is better than it has been the past couple of years but its true they dont get much love but lets face it the SEC is amazing.

http://mv.lycaeum.org/anagrams/s_meter_02.gif

Might want to check yours buddy

soonerboomer93
10/29/2007, 03:34 AM
i would definitely say his is broken

but then, someone who would rather proclaim their hate of texas then their support of a school is probably just a bandwagon n00b

pott_2
10/29/2007, 05:31 AM
The B-12 looks a heluva lot better than it has in the past few years at least. It has really been the OU-tejas conference for the past 4-5 years.

Jdog
10/29/2007, 08:48 AM
By the way, the SEC has more teams that people associate with good football. LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas have all won national titles since WWII. In the Big XII, we only have Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska. Most don't consider Colorado a traditional football powerhouse. Nebraska is horrible this year.

WHEN DID ARKANSAS AND AUBURN WIN AN UPI, or AP, or ESPN or BCS TITLE?

SORRY BUT THE BOARD'S, AND DUNKLE'S DON'T COUNT.

texashater#1
10/29/2007, 10:34 AM
i would definitely say his is broken

but then, someone who would rather proclaim their hate of texas then their support of a school is probably just a bandwagon n00b

ok relax, i knew the guy was just kidding, i was being sarcastic too. and by the way do you guys realize how gay you sound when you call someone a nOOb. what is that? get a life boys you dorks were nOObs at some point so just ease up.

XingTheRubicon
10/29/2007, 11:04 AM
SEC 5-9.....................Big XII 5-9

5. Alabama.................Oklahoma State
6. South Carolina.........Texas A&M
7. Tennessee..............Colorado
8. Kentucky................Texas Tech
9. Arkansas................Kansas State

That should pretty much cover it.....

XingTheRubicon
10/29/2007, 11:06 AM
ok relax, i knew the guy was just kidding, i was being sarcastic too. and by the way do you guys realize how gay you sound when you call someone a nOOb. what is that? get a life boys you dorks were nOObs at some point so just ease up.

Don't take that away from the nerds. That's all they have.

stoopified
10/29/2007, 11:14 AM
BIG 12 needs a better PR machime.

texashater#1
10/29/2007, 11:30 AM
Don't take that away from the nerds. That's all they have.

heh true story

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2007, 11:59 AM
Auburn won the AP national title in 1957.

Johnny Utah
10/29/2007, 12:19 PM
BIG 12 needs a better PR machime.

A very valid point. I'm a n00b (so please cut me some slack) living practically in the heart of sec country (Atlanta suburbs). People in this area seem to have become bigger fans of their conference than of their school. They will rationalize the relatively mediocre season in - season out performance of say a UGA (last NC in 1980) with the fact that they "play in the SEC". And when they lose to a non-conference team it was because the "real team didn't show up that game". In fact the UGA loss to WV in the Peach Bowl a couple of years ago, which was almost a home game, was swept under the rug so fast that you wouldn't even know it happened! So a lot of it might be superior PR or marketing, but nothing a few dominating wins by the Big XII over the SEC wouldn't hopefully rectify.

texashater#1
10/29/2007, 12:33 PM
i have put together a composite sketch of every person that tries to make fun of another person by calling them a nOOb....

http://www.fyvie.net/photos/Travel/Sweden%20May%202005/slides/IMG_5013.JPG

MextheBulldog
10/29/2007, 12:33 PM
Roll Tide. Knock the sec outta the BCS title game...

oupride
10/29/2007, 02:17 PM
You forgot to mention the fact that the #9 rated team's (cough) super-tough (cough) D allowed 42 points!

Jdog
10/29/2007, 03:23 PM
Auburn won the AP national title in 1957.

Wow you're right - What a power house they've been since splitting one back 50 years ago with tOSU.

soonerhillbilly
10/29/2007, 03:41 PM
question: Statement first: I work among Hawg fans, I made the statement this morning about 3 Big12 teams in the top 10. The guy next to me response, 'cuz the sec beats up on each other each week'. ? Isn't that what actually happens no matter the conference? I mean 1 team has to lose, so one beat up the other. It has nothing to do with PR, its these inbred sec fans believe one column that they read that states they are a tough conference and it spreds from inbred to the next inbred and they all believe it.

Will
10/29/2007, 03:46 PM
Isn't all that bad since we have three teams in the top 10 of the BCS.

cheezyq
10/29/2007, 03:47 PM
Does anyone have a running count on the amount of threads with this as the topic?

Sooner_Bob
10/29/2007, 06:43 PM
I'll take eleventy billion for $1000 Alex.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2007, 07:18 PM
Wow you're right

Thank you.

When you think of Auburn, you think of football. Same goes for Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, and now Florida.

Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska are the only schools in which football immediately comes to mind when you hear their names.

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 07:22 PM
I'll take threve billion for $Texas Alex.

fixed :D

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you.

When you think of Auburn, you think of football. Same goes for Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, and now Florida.

Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska are the only schools in which football immediately comes to mind when you hear their names.

Really?? cuz when I think of A&M, after I get the nut squeezing thing out of my head, I think football. K-State, they had some respect back under Snyder. Mizzou has always hung around too.

Also, when I think of LSU, I think of "Ain't nobody ever done anything fer a hick sept a hick his self!"

Rogue
10/29/2007, 07:38 PM
I see the SEC and the pac 10 being better than the big 12 but who is the third?

You could make an argument for the Big 10/11 or the Big East. Chances are the KU will lose a game or 2 and Mizzou will too. They'll drop far.

Big 10/11 -
#1 tOSU
#12 Meech
#21 Wisc

Big lEast -

#7 - WVU
#13 - UConn
#18 - USF

ACC -

#2 - BC
#11 - Va Tech
#23 - UVA
#24 - Wake
#25 - Clemson

Jdog
10/29/2007, 10:28 PM
Thank you.

Do you think of basketball when you think of Texas A&M? If you do then go down there for a game and experience the original 12th man.

Sorry but when I think of Auburn I think of how they would always get beat in the big games.
If we have to go back 50 years to find Auburn's one and only split National championship then surely we can go back to the 60's and talk about the college where John Riggins and Gale Sayers played, to 70's to discuss the only conference to end the year with the top 3 places in both polls (oh by the way the #1 team beat Bama and #2 beat Auburn in their respective bowls) - hell even KState has beat USuC in the last 7 years.

Except for the past 5 years and for a brief moment in the early 60s LSU has been a no show. Tennessee was good in 67 and the 90s but what have they done lately. As for traditions there’s really only one in the SEC that's up with OU Texas and Nebraska and that's Bama - and you can attribute that to a guy who spent 7 years coaching in the old Southwest conference. Sorry but your SEC tradition is only in the south.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2007, 10:46 PM
It doesn't matter which team has been better. What I am talking about is PERCEPTION. And people typically associate the SEC with football more than any other conference. It's a football conference, and so the perception is that games played in the SEC must be tougher than anywhere else. And trotting out statistics isn't going to change that perception.

arcman46
10/30/2007, 10:31 AM
Thank you.

When I think of Colorado, I think of skiing!:eek:

lithium
10/30/2007, 11:08 AM
When I think of OSU, I think of golf, pigs, cows and drunk girls without front tooth.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2007, 11:34 AM
It doesn't matter which team has been better. What I am talking about is PERCEPTION. And people typically associate the SEC with football more than any other conference. It's a football conference, and so the perception is that games played in the SEC must be tougher than anywhere else. And trotting out statistics isn't going to change that perception.

I agree. Part of that perception is the players they put yearly into the NFL. Part of it is that it has always been the Southeastern Conference, not the Big 6 and SWC/Big 7 and SWC/Big 8 and SWC/Big XII. Part of it is that it is in the south, which lives and breathes football. The southeast and Texas are where the SEC's players come from. They are good. They do well in their bowl games (with exceptions) and they do well out of conference (with exceptions. IMO, the biggest factor by far, is that fans of SEC teams are also fans of the conference. They vehemently defend their conference in every way and the media has latched onto that.

The Big 8 merged with the SWC in the hopes of creating a league equal to the SEC in stature (with traditionally powerful schools) and revenue (due to the state of Texas coupled with the Big 8 region). We are equalling the SEC in many ways, but we don't have the same draw.

Some day, I hope the Big XII will have equally powerful north and south divisions (as the SEC has equally powerful east and west) and that we have the fan power to build 90-100,000+ seat stadiums. Right now, only OU, Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska could likely get away with that and make a profit. I think the way the north has stepped up this year, coupled with relatively young teams, will be enough to bring this dream closer to fruition within the next couple of years. The Big XII, right now, is not yet the SEC.

Don't get me wrong. OU and Texas could probably hang year in and year out in the SEC. The rest of the league--not so much. Just one fan's opinion.

Johnny Utah
10/30/2007, 12:23 PM
This also might have a little to do with the SEC's "dominance" (percieved or not). I did some quick research and (per 2006 census estimates) the total population of states in which the SEC schools are located totals nearly 57 million, while the total population of states in which the Big XII schools are located totals just over 45 million.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2007, 12:52 PM
...while the total population of states in which the Big XII schools are located totals just over 45 million.

With more than 23 million coming from Texas, which also feeds the SEC machine with talent.

A little of what hurts the Big XII is that the Big XII shares its biggest talent pool with the nation. While there is more than enough to go around, the SEC wouldn't be half the league it is without pulling Texas talent.

Part of what makes the SEC great, and this may sound racist (it's not intended that way, but I can see how it might seem that way), is that the SEC is comprised solely of former slave states. Slaves were hand selected (when they were kidnapped from their homeland) for their ability to work hard and long hours. The genetic traits they passed down to their American descendants are perfect for football (any sport really, but mostly football). Let the spek-hammers fall, but that's how I see it, right or wrong.

I think with increased parity across the league (and scholly limits keeping some of the gems out of the hands of the big boys), it won't be long before the little guys in the Big XII catch up. When they do, the Big XII will be very competitive with the SEC.

Johnny Utah
10/30/2007, 01:11 PM
I was totally not going to go there but ... since I've lived in sec country since the mid-90s ... have to agree with Desert Sapper. A additional point I was going to make was that the way sec fans support/defend the entire conference it's almost as if they're fighting another "war between the states".

Lott's Bandana
10/30/2007, 06:13 PM
...the total population of states in which the SEC schools are located totals nearly 57 million, while the total population of states in which the Big XII schools are located totals just over 45 million.

Run your numbers for the Big East and behold the reasoning for our having to put up with the Louisville/West Virginia/Rutgers/South Florida, etc, mirage at the beginning of each year. Completely designed by the ABC Family of Networks to draw in viewers from an otherwise Yankees/Red Sox/Giants/Eagles obsessed area of the country. By the time this mirage has played out in October, they have sold enough advertising to justify the regional Oklahoma / Texas A&M games as November rolls in. This year the ratings hoes get an extra bonus with an undefeated Boston College right in Bristol's back yard. Expect to see a lot of Ryan Heisman talk over the next few weeks...

Oh, to stay on thread...SEC fans watch whatever game is being played in the SEC...guaranteed ratings and justification for the Kentucky / South Carolina telecasts...like it was pointed out before, they are amazingly loyal to their conference, for some silly reason.

DGolemi
10/30/2007, 06:43 PM
Ya'll love to talk smack about the SEC and LSU in particular? Why? We love our school first and foremost and we love our conference second because at the base we are all football fans at heart and the SEC consistently generates meaningful contests of superb football that almost always have a bearing on what team goes where in term of the championship game and bowls. That's why Kentucky v. South Carolina had sure good ratings. Inexorably, that game had some bearing on the SEC East conference race. Also, don't tell me that any of you don't pull for Big XII teams over other conference teams in all respects. You want your conference to be percieved as powerful and mighty, and because of that you OU fans would even bring yourselves to pull for Texas over SEC Joe or ACC Joe in any non-conference/bowl game except in the instance when they are ranked higher than you and it has some direct effect on your national ranking.

Lott's Bandana
10/30/2007, 06:55 PM
...and because of that you OU fans would even bring yourselves to pull for Texas over SEC Joe or ACC Joe in any non-conference/bowl game except in the instance when they are ranked higher than you and it has some direct effect on your national ranking.

Nope. You don't get it, m'man.

Texass still sux.

If them-there had a water polo team and were playing the Iraqi National squad, I'd put on an puke-orange bandana and cheer wildly for the bearded ones to drown their whorn@sses...

Vaevictis
10/30/2007, 10:52 PM
Also, don't tell me that any of you don't pull for Big XII teams over other conference teams in all respects.

In all? Nah, just in so far as it's in our best interest.... and it doesn't involve Texas or OSU.

Sometimes, when it's in our best interest, I rationally prefer that Texas and OSU win. But it tastes like bile and makes me want to take a shower.

LSUdeek
10/30/2007, 10:57 PM
Oh, to stay on thread...SEC fans watch whatever game is being played in the SEC...guaranteed ratings and justification for the Kentucky / South Carolina telecasts...like it was pointed out before, they are amazingly loyal to their conference, for some silly reason.
UGA vs UF was freaking awesome this past Sat. I think it's the rivalries that really bring out the best football.

edit: I watched the RRS, and I always try to catch tOSU vs Mich, the Iron Bowl, and USC vs UCLA. It just seems like the SEC has more of these type games where every team just seems to hate each other with a mindless passion.

SoonerKnight
10/31/2007, 02:49 AM
Maybe it is because the SEC sucks and they need to feel better about themselves?

Sooner in the Bluegrass
10/31/2007, 05:27 AM
I agree that perception plays the biggest role, for better or worse. Additionally, look at the relative parity in that conference-- year after year for some time now, several SEC teams have been legit contenders to win the SEC championship.

SEC champs for the past five years:

2001 Louisiana St.
2002 Georgia
2003 Louisiana St.
2004 Auburn
2005 Georgia
2006 Florida

So that's only two teams with more than one championship, and with a wider variety of opponents in their CCG than in the Big XII. Contrast that with the Big XII:

2006 Oklahoma
2005 Texas
2004 Oklahoma
2003 Kansas State
2002 Oklahoma
2001 Colorado

The only other team in that same span to play for the Big XII title was an ultimately overmatched Nebraska. And during this same span, the preseason favorite to win the championship has been either OU or Texass-- and one of those teams has played in the Big XII championship in every one of those years listed. Had we taken care of business in 2003, and had :mack: not been out-coached (and let's face it, that statement amounts to damning Gary Barnett with faint praise), the Big XII would probably have an even worse perception of being essentially a two-team conference. It may not b e a huge perception difference, but it's enough to give football pundits something to harp on.

SoonerGM
10/31/2007, 01:10 PM
I was totally not going to go there but ... since I've lived in sec country since the mid-90s ... have to agree with Desert Sapper. A additional point I was going to make was that the way sec fans support/defend the entire conference it's almost as if they're fighting another "war between the states".

wow. i disagree with you and desert sapper. even if your believe in evolution, you would understand that there is no way that any significant changes could occur to the human body over the past 100 years. it would take so much longer than that to see a genetic difference. another example, say you are naturally slight of build, very skinny. you decide you want to build a lot of muscle and bulk up. say you achieve your goal of "hoss" status and then you decide to have children. the work that you do during your lifetime will not be transferred to your offspring.

if you want to go down this road though, i would say that things such as work ethics, and the perception of what it takes to get the job done could be passed down from generation to generation, but not new genetic ability or strength.

personally i think that when you speak of perception, you have to take in to account that perception of any subject is deeply impacted by our media today. when you have ESPN having a contract with the SEC, the result is you get the ESPN pundits pumping up that conference all day long. not trying to throw out the whole conspiracy theory thing, but that is just reality. and they do constantly announce the SEC as the best. you dont think that will impact anyone's perception?

Leroy Lizard
10/31/2007, 01:43 PM
Desert Sapper is making the opinion that slaves were picked according to their already established genetic makeup, not that they developed it over the last 100 years.

SoonerGM
10/31/2007, 02:18 PM
yah i guess if i could read properly i would have known that :)

Johnny Utah
10/31/2007, 03:24 PM
I think we're all tryin to say the same thing, SoonerGM, including the media impact on the overall perception. I'm probably a little too focused on this topic cause I'm essentially in the middle of sec country and am constantly exposed to the perception of its "dominance".

mdklatt
10/31/2007, 03:38 PM
I agree that perception plays the biggest role, for better or worse. Additionally, look at the relative parity in that conference-- year after year for some time now, several SEC teams have been legit contenders to win the SEC championship.

SEC champs for the past five years:

2001 Louisiana St.
2002 Georgia
2003 Louisiana St.
2004 Auburn
2005 Georgia
2006 Florida

So that's only two teams with more than one championship, and with a wider variety of opponents in their CCG than in the Big XII. Contrast that with the Big XII:

2006 Oklahoma
2005 Texas
2004 Oklahoma
2003 Kansas State
2002 Oklahoma
2001 Colorado

:confused:

There's only one Big 12 team with more than one championship and the same number of different school (4) winning championships for both conferences. So how is the SEC better??

Anyway, the biggest lie in sports is that parity within a conference or division means that everybody is equally good. They could all just be equally bad. Or equally medicore. In the 90's when the Pac-10 was routinely won by a team that had been in last place in the conference the year before, nobody saw that as an indicator of quality. This year, why does parity in the Big 10 or the Big 12 mean that the whole conference sucks while parity in the SEC means that the whole conference is good? What marquee out-of-conference wins does the SEC have? (Samford and Citadel don't count.)

Johnny Utah
11/1/2007, 08:07 AM
Don't know if you could really refer to them as "marquee out-of-conference wins" but, unfortunately, Georgia's wins over OSU this season (35-14) and CU last season (14-13) add to the perception ... not to mention that in 2005 they beat Boise State 48-13. BTW all of these were at home.

arcman46
11/2/2007, 07:40 PM
When I think of OSU, I think of golf, pigs, cows and drunk girls without front tooth.

Drunk girls without front teeth? YOWZA!:eek: :D

Sooner1979
11/2/2007, 07:52 PM
Desert Sapper is making the opinion that slaves were picked according to their already established genetic makeup, not that they developed it over the last 100 years.

So are you saying that most of the starters for SEC teams are or were slaves...That is absolutely ridiculous....And one of the most racist things I have ever heard....Maybe Oklahoma should resort to forcing their recruits to pick cotton during the offseason to improve....

76soonergrad
11/2/2007, 10:16 PM
Years ago as a history major at OU, I took a class called The History of the Old South. More than geography and economics, it profiled the way of life that was the Old South, how the area went from a section of the country, to feeling like a region, then gaining a national identity. Which became the civil war.

One point the professor made--I can't remember his name--Was that after the war, most people stayed in the south. For years after the war, bitterness continued.

We moved from Norman to Little Rock in 1983. The oldest cemetary there was a Confederate cemetary.

The southeast US remained an isolated pocket of the country for a long time after the civil war. I think they found an outlet in college football games, particularly vs. the big 10 in the '50s. In the '50s the players were white. Now they are mostly black, but this tradition continues.

I don't think it is racist at all.

Purple Tiger
11/3/2007, 12:50 AM
So are you saying that most of the starters for SEC teams are or were slaves...That is absolutely ridiculous....And one of the most racist things I have ever heard....Maybe Oklahoma should resort to forcing their recruits to pick cotton during the offseason to improve....
Where are the most and best Sooners from? TEXAS No Texans,no natl. championships,just a bottom feeder.