PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero 3?

badger
10/28/2007, 10:55 AM
Has anyone tried this game for Wii yet? NP wants to get it. I got GH2 for PS2 for his birthday last year.

Osagecrimson
10/28/2007, 11:09 AM
It wont be out until this tuesday. I will have it then ( for the kids of course);) . I will let you know then.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2007, 11:10 AM
Actually it's available now; it was released at Midnight on Saturday night

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2007, 12:41 PM
I'm trying to talk myself out of going and buying it today. Can't decide if I want it for 360 or PS3 yet either.

SoonerBBall
10/28/2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I bought it today at Walmart, then realized that Walmart isn't selling the 360 version with a wireless controller. I took it back and bought the wireless version at Best Buy, but the controller wouldn't power on properly. I took that one back and got a controller that will power on, but this one won't connect to the 360. I haven't decided if I am going to try another wireless controller or just go for the wired version. In their stupidity, Neversoft/Red Octane chose to make the wireless controller in such a way that you can't connect it through a wire, even if you wanted to.

rufnek05
10/28/2007, 03:24 PM
I'm gettin when i get paid this week.

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I bought it today at Walmart, then realized that Walmart isn't selling the 360 version with a wireless controller. I took it back and bought the wireless version at Best Buy, but the controller wouldn't power on properly. I took that one back and got a controller that will power on, but this one won't connect to the 360. I haven't decided if I am going to try another wireless controller or just go for the wired version. In their stupidity, Neversoft/Red Octane chose to make the wireless controller in such a way that you can't connect it through a wire, even if you wanted to.

Hit the red button on your 360 and the button on the bottom of your controller.

It stumped me for a minute or two as well.

OUAndy1807
10/28/2007, 03:40 PM
I am trying to keep myself from buying it, not because of the cost but because of the time I'm going to waste playing it.

I'll be buying it in about an hour, though. I'm weak.

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2007, 03:44 PM
Get your butt down to buy it. I was at GameStop at 11am (opening) and I got the last 360 version they'd sell without preorder.

Best Buy didn't have any with the controllers at all due to a shipping problem.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2007, 03:45 PM
So i guess that's all Wal Marts then; we had the same problem here so my wife and son took it back today, so i had to go to Best Buy online to order it; not making a special trip to Tulsa just for a video game

badger
10/28/2007, 06:19 PM
OK, NP is out this week and the PS2 version is on its way (rented from Gamestop... you all should consider a free trial and give me credit for referring you, of course!) but I was wondering about the Wii version specifically.

Is it anything? Is the motion sensing thing teh awesome? Basically, I wanna know if it will bring eternal happiness, much like the Wii itself promised when profiteers stockpiled 'em last Christmas :D

OUTromBoNado
10/28/2007, 06:52 PM
Since I don't own any of the new consoles or a PS2, I will probably be buying this for PC in a couple of weeks.

Soonrboy
10/28/2007, 06:54 PM
My 13 year old pre ordered it in August and picked it up last night at midnight. We were up til 3...going back for more.

SoonerBBall
10/28/2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tip Mike. My bro and I have a 360 elite, and I wasn't hitting the connect button on the 360, just on the controller.

Initial impressions:

1. Hammers and pulls are EVEN EASIER.
2. Way more chord switching.
3. The 360 wireless les paul is sweet, but triggers star power when you barely move.
4. Buttons on the wireless les paul are much less slick than on the regular guitars making sliding difficult.
5. Boss battles are fun.
6. Track list is A+++.

Sooner_Havok
10/28/2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I guess the walmart thing is a nation wide problem

link (http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33159)

King Crimson
10/28/2007, 08:54 PM
who can play Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo?

Frozen Sooner
10/28/2007, 08:56 PM
I can't believe I waited until just a few weeks ago before ever playing a GH game. These things are more fun than a sack full of kittens.

OUDoc
10/29/2007, 07:57 AM
I can't decide if I should get the kids the PS2 (which is in the front living room, on the smaller TV) or the PS3 version (which is on the main, big TV in the living room). Is there a real benefit to the PS3 version? It's not like graphics really matter that much on that game.

SoonerBBall
10/29/2007, 10:32 AM
I can't decide if I should get the kids the PS2 (which is in the front living room, on the smaller TV) or the PS3 version (which is on the main, big TV in the living room). Is there a real benefit to the PS3 version? It's not like graphics really matter that much on that game.

You'd actually be suprised. From personal experience, first-had experience, the difference in graphics from the PS2 to the 360 is huge. The game is just really, incredibly clean looking in HD.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2007, 11:45 AM

Plus for PS3: Downloadable content, online play, better graphics.
Minus for PS3: The controller seems to have trouble staying connected or lagging with the game.

Soonrboy
10/29/2007, 12:57 PM
we play the wii one...it is awesome.

NormanPride
10/29/2007, 05:08 PM
who can play Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo?

This guy can. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wlU0nyJvQ)

That one's just on the 360 version, which makes me very sad because I love it so very much. Not too terribly hard as far as those things go.

I can't wait for this thing, though the lack of downloadable content on the Wii initially makes me sad.

Thankfully, there's so much dang content out of the box I may not even notice.

OUAndy1807
10/29/2007, 10:57 PM
ok, I should have never bought this.

I just beat it on easy (I bought it at 7pm) and I felt satisfied, then I tried medium and got my *** handed to me.

Also, why do I have to replay all the songs on medium? Can't we get some new songs?

Also, what is the name of everyone's band? Mine is The Retardzone

also, I was one note away from perfect on School's Out on my first try.

Sooner_Havok
10/29/2007, 11:01 PM
Also, what is the name of everyone's band? Mine is The Retardzone

Greasy Bear

OUAndy1807
10/30/2007, 01:27 AM
ok, I REALLY shouldn't have bought this game. Slash on Medium level is hard.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2007, 01:28 AM
Assbandit

OUAndy1807
10/30/2007, 07:19 AM
I'm thinking that I have to sell this game on ebay.

proud gonzo
10/30/2007, 07:23 AM
i'm thinking i need a PS2 or 360 just so i can get GH...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/30/2007, 10:31 AM
i'm thinking i need a PS2 or 360 just so i can get GH...

You can get a PS2 for $100 or so. That is what I ended up doing.

Animal Mother
10/30/2007, 05:02 PM
I was asked to play an encore that was a Spinal Tap song. I guess it doesn't add the song to the playlist because we can't find it.Am I correct?

NormanPride
10/30/2007, 05:13 PM
Demonhump

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2007, 05:14 PM
As fun as GH3 is, I'm having MORE fun with Ratchet and Clank.

Sooner_Havok
10/30/2007, 05:32 PM
As fun as GH3 is, I'm having MORE fun with Ratchet and Clank.

I hope you are not talking about the new Ratchet and Clank, because if you are, I will have to come break into your firstlife home and steal your PS3. :texan:

It is a sad state of affairs, I want a PS3 for two games, and one of them won't be released until next year. Good ole' Ratchet and Clank, and GTA IV

rufnek05
10/30/2007, 05:35 PM
picked it up about an hour ago. See you guys in a week.

Sooner_Havok
10/30/2007, 05:39 PM
once you beat the game on hard, go back through and start over on easy again with lefty flip on, makes the game more interesting I promise!

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2007, 05:53 PM
I hope you are not talking about the new Ratchet and Clank, because if you are, I will have to come break into your firstlife home and steal your PS3. :texan:

It is a sad state of affairs, I want a PS3 for two games, and one of them won't be released until next year. Good ole' Ratchet and Clank, and GTA IV

Well, hell, I've owned the thing for almost a year and I finally own a game worth playing on it...

Sooner_Havok
10/30/2007, 05:57 PM
Well, hell, I've owned the thing for almost a year and I finally own a game worth playing on it...

Yeah, not many games worth a hoot on the PS3 right now. I did here Resistance: Fall of man was pretty good

OUAndy1807
10/30/2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, not many games worth a hoot on the PS3 right now. I did here Resistance: Fall of man was pretty good
it's great

NormanPride
11/2/2007, 10:44 PM
Bump.

I just got back from Atlanta, and badger had the Wii version waiting for me with a shiny new controller. Best. Wife. Evar. :D I played the game on Medium and because I'm rusty I four-starred some songs.

Then I beat the game and had to play Through the Fire and the Flames while the credits ran. I still hurt.

Man, I thought I was pretty okay at that game... How the hell does one beat something like that beast on expert? I don't think it's humanly possible. I look a the videos on youtube and weep at night.

Frozen Sooner
11/2/2007, 11:42 PM
My opinion that Metallica has sucked since Master of Puppets is confirmed after having to play that crapfest "One."

OUAndy1807
11/3/2007, 12:26 AM
So I am just about done with Medium (just have to beat Lou)

I started trying out the hard level. Is it just me, or does it make a huge jump between these two levels? Hard is impossible for me.

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2007, 12:32 AM
Yes. Hard uses the orange button and triple chords, plus it's faster.

Beating Lou wasn't that tough for me-Slash was much tougher. The key on the battles is to string three attacks together.

birddog
11/3/2007, 01:14 AM
I can't believe I waited until just a few weeks ago before ever playing a GH game. These things are more fun than a sack full of kittens.

really? i've never played it, or even seen it. what makes it so addictive?

slash talked about it last night on conan. said he sucked at it.

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2007, 01:23 AM
Saw that interview-Slash was cracking me up.

What makes it so addictive is tough to quantify. They've done a great job making it challenging enough to be fun, but not so challenging that it makes you "Hulk SMASH" angry. The fact that the tunes are pretty great makes up a big part of the charm as well.

birddog
11/3/2007, 01:40 AM
i'll have to check it out. it's pretty tough these days to find games that get you hooked.

NormanPride
11/3/2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, hard takes a step up bigtime. A trick I learned to get used to some of the tougher aspects of that difficulty is to go into practice mode and play the bass line. Most of the time it's a lot easier, but still has some of the hard parts of the song.

Honestly, there don't seem to be any great "workout" songs in this one. I mean, songs that you really get to work on hammer-ons and pull-offs or work on sliding between chords. Maybe after I take more on hard I'll see it...

And Mike, I actually liked playing One. It's not the best Metallica song, but at least it's not St. Anger. Plus, it's an older song, from ...And Justice For All.

Turd_Ferguson
11/3/2007, 08:42 AM
I finished medium, then went to hard and said **** it

NormanPride
11/3/2007, 08:51 AM
I could finish most of Gh2 on hard, and even a few on Expert. But I suck at this one. :D They upped the difficulty a bit.

reevie
11/3/2007, 09:03 AM
I had never played GH before. Picked up GH III for the Wii this week and can say.....boy have I been missing out! This thing is awesome.

Turd_Ferguson
11/3/2007, 09:03 AM
I could finish most of Gh2 on hard, and even a few on Expert. But I suck at this one. :D They upped the difficulty a bit. I got 5 gold stars on hard playing Possum Kingdom(GHII).......can't even finish a song on GHIII's hard:mad:

OUAndy1807
11/3/2007, 10:21 AM
is ratchet and clank really that fun?

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2007, 10:27 AM
Yes, it is.

(sigh) NP, the fact that you consider "One" an "older" Metallica song speaks to the disparity in our ages...

badger
11/3/2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know how NP does it - I try to play that game on easy and my wrist hurts too much to continue after a few songs. He was hinting that he wanted to get it anyway, so I figured, "why not be a good badger?" :D

Watch the Wii-mote's batteries (NP got a "You're rocking out too hard!" message when the batteries died) though.

I like the Wii version better than the old PS2 one because on the star mode thingy (I'm not a professional guitar hero player, ok? I don't know all the crazy terms for rocking out!) the Wii mote makes the entire guitar move. Also, for those of you complaining that the Wii mote speaker sound sucks... it does! Anytime you hit a wrong note, you hear your crappy note out the Wii mote speaker :D

reevie
11/3/2007, 03:09 PM
is ratchet and clank really that fun?

I think Up Your Arsenal was the last one I played. I had a hoot playing the Ratchet games.

OUAndy1807
11/4/2007, 03:07 PM
holy crap. can I play GH1, 2 and 80's now with the PS3 controller on the PS3?

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2007, 03:19 PM
I don't believe you can.

bluedogok
11/4/2007, 05:23 PM
I have about decided to replace my first gen X-Box with a PS3 and had a question. What is the differences between the packages other than the hard drive size?

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2007, 09:08 PM
40GB does not offer hardware PS2 emulation. 80GB does.
Fewer USB ports in 40GB version.
I'm not sure if the 40GB supports WiFi. The 80GB does.
I think the 40GB doesn't have an SD or MemoryStick port. It probably does, but for some reason I thought I heard it doesn't.

OUTromBoNado
11/5/2007, 03:07 AM
I have a problem. Call of Duty 4 comes out Tuesday...which I want. GH3 for PC comes out next Monday...which I want. Can't afford both. Anyone wanna send me some $$$?

SoonerBBall
11/5/2007, 12:43 PM
Screw the Lou battle on Hard. If he gets a string break or lefty flip for his first attack, it is all over. Also, Raining Blood is by far the hardest song in Hard. It is the first song I've ever had to use practice mode to beat.

Pricetag
11/5/2007, 03:21 PM
really? i've never played it, or even seen it. what makes it so addictive?

slash talked about it last night on conan. said he sucked at it.
I think a huge part of it is that we all dream in some fashion of being a rock star, and when you're playing the game, you feel like you're playing the song. The game developers really tap into that, and do it with a great sense of humor so it is really fun.

NormanPride
11/5/2007, 03:29 PM
Screw the Lou battle on Hard. If he gets a string break or lefty flip for his first attack, it is all over. Also, Raining Blood is by far the hardest song in Hard. It is the first song I've ever had to use practice mode to beat.

I had some trouble with that on Medium, actually. But once I figured out that all you have to do is last to the dueling solos at the end with a couple of attacks stored, I was golden.

Can you practice those? Or even play them on free play? They're fun.

william_brasky
11/5/2007, 10:06 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mEZYOUBGpzc

Veritas
11/5/2007, 10:32 PM
It's pretty fun. I think it's harder if you actually play guitar. Like, I can play One on a real guitar and I completely blew at the game.

william_brasky
11/5/2007, 10:40 PM
Like, I can play One on a real guitar

3 Dog Night Rules (http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJCnhMMNrvk) :texan:

SoonerBBall
11/9/2007, 10:20 AM
So I passed TTFAF on Hard the first time I played it, but damn is it the hardest GH song ever. There is no way I'm gonna pass it on Expert. Also, Raining Blood on Expert is for suckers.

the_ouskull
11/9/2007, 01:33 PM
Yes, it is.

(sigh) NP, the fact that you consider "One" an "older" Metallica song speaks to the disparity in our ages...

Amen to that. I liked ...And Justice... too, but it was the beginning of their end. The black album had its moments, but it wasn't up to the standards that they set when Cliff was still alive. I wonder how he'd feel about the direction in which the band has gone.

Sigh, indeed.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
11/9/2007, 01:34 PM
It's pretty fun. I think it's harder if you actually play guitar. Like, I can play One on a real guitar and I completely blew at the game.

That's funny. A buddy of mine that used to play guitar for one of the bands I was in had the same problem. We used to play "Them Bones," and, when he first introduced me to Guitar Hero, he was trying to play it, and couldn't get through it. I laughed.

the_ouskull

Frozen Sooner
11/9/2007, 10:24 PM
Amen to that. I liked ...And Justice... too, but it was the beginning of their end. The black album had its moments, but it wasn't up to the standards that they set when Cliff was still alive. I wonder how he'd feel about the direction in which the band has gone.

Sigh, indeed.

the_ouskull

I see no "too" here, Kemo Sabe.

AJFA was bloated overproduced crap.

goingoneight
11/10/2007, 01:13 AM
Has anyone else seen the "Guitar Queer-o" episode of South Park yet? :D

OUTromBoNado
11/12/2007, 02:09 AM
I just got GH3 for PC tonight. Since I don't own any of the new consoles (or a PS2), I haven't played any of the other games in the series. So far, I like it. It will take some getting used to. I'm also liking the prospect of new content that I can download.

My only gripe is with Star Power/Attacks. Since it's not a wireless controller and not motion sensitive, I can't tilt up to unleash the attacks. I have to hit another button instead, which is not really in a good place. I think I figured it out though. Just have to work on different ways of holding the gee-tar.

badger
11/12/2007, 09:44 AM
So far awayyyyyyyyyy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWCi3-whXzE) ;)

Ike
11/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Has anyone else seen the "Guitar Queer-o" episode of South Park yet? :D

heh. Heroin Hero.

"You just chase a big purple dragon, but never catch it. You might call it the ultimate first person shooter"

Petro-Sooner
11/19/2007, 11:39 AM
So I take it GH3 for PS2 gets the green light? Considering getting it today.

Also, is it possible to get GH3 with a cord or does the wireless work fine? TIA

Ike
11/19/2007, 02:00 PM
So I take it GH3 for PS2 gets the green light? Considering getting it today.

Also, is it possible to get GH3 with a cord or does the wireless work fine? TIA

I just bought the game without a controller. My old GH1 and GH2 controllers work just fine.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2007, 02:06 PM

Ditto. I always end up strumming too many notes with my right hand.

Petro-Sooner
11/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Its pretty cool. Didnt realise how much practice it will take. I SUCC.

bluedogok
11/19/2007, 11:37 PM
^ I know what you mean, I bought a PS3 on Friday and the game on Saturday.
I tried playing around with it before the game, I needs practice.

I_SMELL_FEAR
11/20/2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the tip Mike. My bro and I have a 360 elite, and I wasn't hitting the connect button on the 360, just on the controller.

Initial impressions:

1. Hammers and pulls are EVEN EASIER.
2. Way more chord switching.
3. The 360 wireless les paul is sweet, but triggers star power when you barely move.
4. Buttons on the wireless les paul are much less slick than on the regular guitars making sliding difficult.
5. Boss battles are fun.
6. Track list is A+++.

Agreed. Im using my old GHII controller, and I would almost have to do a full circle with the controller to get the star power engaged in GHII, with GHIII, I just turn to look out the front door and the star power engages, which really ****es me off on the hard songs that I need to save the star power to get through the tough parts.

Im decent, but not great...I made it through GHII on hard with mostly 4 and 5 stars, and about halfway through on expert..the slowness of medium really throws me off after playing the hard level... I suck at medium now....but GHIII is kicking my tail.

In GHII hard, most of the note and chord progressions went smoothly up and down, so you could mover your hand to get down to orange and move it back to get back to green, without having to do the pinky stretch from blue to orange. With GHIII, they are forcing you to do the pinky stretch, and leave your hand in position.

I've been stuck on the Japan section on hard level for about 2 days. I cant get the Queens of the Stone Age or Slipknot finished.I hate practicing, so Im likely not going to get past it any time soon...

Widescreen
11/20/2007, 11:47 AM
I hate practicing, so Im likely not going to get past it any time soon...
I love it. Practicing to play fake guitar. :D

Petro-Sooner
11/20/2007, 12:10 PM
I really like playing Hey You on the original GH. How far in do you have to go to get to Sweet Child O Mine on the GH2?

NormanPride
11/20/2007, 12:20 PM
I'm finally good enough to pass Knights of Cydonia on expert, and I even think I can get One as well... but Number of the Beast kicks my hiney every time.

OUTromBoNado
11/20/2007, 10:27 PM
I'm finally good enough to pass Knights of Cydonia on expert, and I even think I can get One as well... but Number of the Beast kicks my hiney every time.

I'm still trying to make the jump from medium to hard.:cool:

I_SMELL_FEAR
11/21/2007, 11:46 AM
I really like playing Hey You on the original GH. How far in do you have to go to get to Sweet Child O Mine on the GH2?

Its the Encore song on the 4th set..so not very far in.

Petro-Sooner
11/22/2007, 08:15 PM
Its the Encore song on the 4th set..so not very far in.

When you go advance to medium level? Finished the easy and have been bumped up a level. Havnt seen it.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2007, 08:24 PM
It should unlock after you beat the fourth set of songs on any difficulty setting in career mode. It'll ask you if you want to play an encore. Say "yes."

josh09
11/22/2007, 09:17 PM
I havent really looked in this thread for this discussion yet, but i am FREAKING STUCK on the devil guitar battle on expert, i dont know what to do.

Ive been stuck for almost 2 weeks now and its really getting annoying.

Anyone beat him?

josh09
11/22/2007, 09:19 PM
And holy crap, Through the Fire and Flames is the hardest thing ive ever seen.....and that was on hard.

josh09
11/22/2007, 09:22 PM
So far awayyyyyyyyyy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWCi3-whXzE) ;)

Lord have mercy.....

badger
11/23/2007, 11:17 AM
Lord have mercy.....
Yes, but at least it is not a level. It plays over the credits and you don't fail it.

birddog
11/23/2007, 12:37 PM
i just had my first taste of guitar hero 2 yesterday.

i'm hooked on it already. what bothered me was i had to rotate with four other people. i couldn't get in my three hour zone.

but, yeah, great game and a good selection of songs.

Newbomb Turk
11/23/2007, 12:39 PM
I still just have GH2 - I need to buy GH3 or the 80's one.

josh09
11/24/2007, 12:15 AM
Yes, but at least it is not a level. It plays over the credits and you don't fail it.

But cant you fail it when you go back into quick play and try to play it?

I dont know, i havent tried it yet besides on the credits.

OUTromBoNado
11/30/2007, 01:18 PM
But cant you fail it when you go back into quick play and try to play it?

I dont know, i havent tried it yet besides on the credits.

Yes, you can go back and play in QuickPlay and Career mode and fail it. In Career and QuickPlay modes, you can choose to play from the list of Bonus tracks (including Flames) and any ones that you've downloaded (when they're available). You don't get any money like from the Set List, but you do get points.

If you're a stat whore, you can use those points and move up the online leaderboards.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2007, 01:25 PM
I walk by the campus nerds at UTSA playing this stuff almost every day.

It is sad and hilarious.

Especially now that they get the drums going and some chick had a mike singing.

Widescreen
11/30/2007, 01:35 PM
I walk by the campus nerds at UTSA playing this stuff almost every day.

It is sad and hilarious.

Especially now that they get the drums going and some chick had a mike singing.
You college kids and your crazy shenanigans.

NormanPride
11/30/2007, 05:23 PM
That was probably Rock Band, of which I am skeptical.

Widescreen
12/10/2007, 02:26 AM
This is probably old news for most of you but I heard from multiple sources this weekend that downloadable content is coming for the Wii in 2008.

OUAndy1807
12/10/2007, 10:32 AM
is downloadable content up for the PS3 yet?