PDA

View Full Version : Billy Simms

King Crimson
10/28/2007, 12:22 AM
we have our morons who do it, but c'mon? AP writer does it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap?gid=200710270083

(17) Texas 28, Nebraska 25
Preview - Box Score - Recap *Texas

By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer
October 27, 2007

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Once Texas figured out it should be running against one of the nation's worst run defenses, things turned out all right for the Longhorns.

Jamaal Charles ran for a career-high 290 yards -- 216 yards and three long touchdowns in the fourth quarter -- to carry the No. 17 Longhorns to a 28-25 win on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Cornhuskers fourth straight loss, their longest streak since 1961, is sure to put more heat on beleaguered coach Bill Callahan, whose future with the Huskers beyond this season is in the hands of former coach and interim athletic director Tom Osborne.

For Texas coach Mack Brown, the win was No. 100 with the Longhorns.

"A hundred is nice," Brown said. "I knew the game was going to come down like it did. It didn't surprise me. They made sure that I'll remember it the rest of my life."

The Longhorns (7-2, 3-2 Big 12) spent three quarters trying to pass against one of the worst rush defenses in the country and Nebraska (4-5, 1-4) led 17-9 to start the fourth behind two touchdown passes from Sam Keller to Nate Swift.

Then Texas started using the zone-read option and the running game quickly started piling up yards and points. Three running plays covered 75 yards on Texas' first touchdown drive and Charles' second TD gave Texas its first lead since the first quarter.

"It was my time to show everyone what I can do," said Charles, who now has 1,012 and 11 TDs this season. "When I saw a hole, I blasted through it."

Charles passed Oklahoma's Billy Simms' 247 yards in 1979 as the most yards gained against the Cornhuskers. He broke free for touchdown runs of 25, 86 and 40 yards and his rushing total was the fourth highest in Texas history.

"It was a huge relief to see a running back breaking away down the field," said Texas guard Chris Hall. "In the fourth quarter we popped a few."

Texas turned exclusively to its running game almost by chance and only after a hard hit on quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy was shaken up when he scrambled outside the pocket and the Longhorns were forced to use freshman John Chiles. His one play, a zone-read handoff to Charles, produced 24 yards and suddenly Texas had figured out how to beat a Cornhuskers' team that had been steamrolled on the ground in recent weeks. Texas only threw three passes in the fourth quarter.

"When I got back in the huddle I could see the fire in the linemen's eyes," McCoy said. "I could tell there was something different. It seemed like we had the momentum from that point on. It was big for us."

The Cornhuskers, whose season only gets worse every week, showed some fight after being outscored 122-34 in their last three games. They desperately tried to hang onto their lead and nearly rallied at the end.

"It was real heartfelt. I thought they gave everything they had," Callahan said.

Keller connected with Swift for scores from 24 and 23 yards out. The defense dogged McCoy most of the afternoon with a fierce pass rush that blitzed nearly every play and delivered several hard hits.

Keller was knocked out of the game late and Joe Ganz fired a 4-yard TD pass to Maurice Purify with 1:55 to play. A 2-point conversion pass cut the Texas lead to 3 but the Longhorns' Brandon Foster recovered the onside kick.

"We've never been so sick of losing in our entire lives," Huskers defensive back Ben Eisenhart said. "We're so tired of losing and going to class and everybody asking you questions and it's just a real downer."

It was four years ago against Nebraska that Texas unveiled its zone read with quarterback Vince Young and the Longhorns rolled to a 31-7 victory, a game that helped push former Cornhuskers coach Frank Solich out of his job.

Texas has moved away from that offense with McCoy who's not the same running threat Young was. Yet the Longhorns seemed to have paid little attention to how teams have battered the Nebraska defense on the ground this season. The Longhorns had more pass attempts (18) than rushes (17) in the first half and managed only one field goal.

McCoy, who was 12-of-28 for 181 yards, didn't throw a touchdown pass for the first time this season.

"It took a whole half to figure out what was going to work," McCoy said. "I've never been in a game where they blitzed every play."

Soonerus
10/28/2007, 12:24 AM
borish...a weakened Nebraska team....

King Crimson
10/28/2007, 12:25 AM
and some googling shows Vertuno is a Texas based writer. no excuse for that.

r5TPsooner
10/28/2007, 10:18 AM
Isn't NU a basketball school now anyway?

SOONER STEAKER
10/28/2007, 10:37 AM
SP correction SIMS

Purple Tiger
10/28/2007, 10:40 AM
Isn't Billy Sims from Hooks,Texas?

King Crimson
10/28/2007, 10:43 AM

yup.

MyT Oklahoma
10/28/2007, 11:05 AM
Billy Sims is indeed from Hooks TX and I got to see him play the very first time I ever visited the Snake Pit the year that he won the Heisman Trophy. Last year I finally got his autograph at the Middle Tennessee State game.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2007, 11:07 AM
If you ever get the chance to meet Billy, do it; he's amazing with the fans

badger
10/28/2007, 11:07 AM
I think Huskers in 70s > Huskers right now. But alas, Callyburger crushes another Nebbish tradition/milestone/streak/whatever.

Did anybody else think that Tom Osborne had his hand up Cally's @$$ most of the game and puppet-coached? That didn't seem like typical Nebraska yesterday :D

jkjsooner
10/28/2007, 11:10 AM
SP correction SIMS

I believe that's the whole point of the thread.

47straight
10/28/2007, 11:55 AM

Yes, which is closer to Norman than to Austin.

Breadburner
10/28/2007, 12:56 PM
Billy is actually from St.Louis.....And spent a good portion of his young life there....Hooks is where his football career began...

okiewaker
10/28/2007, 01:26 PM
The reporter must be from Texass.

cheezyq
10/28/2007, 05:47 PM

Nope. They're a wimmin's volleyball school. Their BB team sucks almost as bad as their football team.

royalfan5
10/28/2007, 06:11 PM
Nope. They're a wimmin's volleyball school. Their BB team sucks almost as bad as their football team.
Our Basketball team is much better than our football team. If you are looking for a dark horse team this year, look no further than Nebraska. They will surprise some people.

Also, I have a bunch of autographed Billy Sims stuff. My Uncle worked for one of his businesses at one point, and gave it too me as a birthday present. Which is a rather odd gift between two husker fans.

Curly Bill
10/28/2007, 06:39 PM
Our Basketball team is much better than our football team. If you are looking for a dark horse team this year, look no further than Nebraska. They will surprise some people.

Also, I have a bunch of autographed Billy Sims stuff. My Uncle worked for one of his businesses at one point, and gave it too me as a birthday present. Which is a rather odd gift between two husker fans.

I'll take it...I mean if you don't want it...:D

bluedogok
10/28/2007, 06:46 PM
Sims>Simms

silverwheels
10/28/2007, 07:00 PM

Aren't you a dumb troll?

stoopified
10/28/2007, 09:19 PM
I did not know Chris had a brother.

goingoneight
10/28/2007, 10:01 PM
Billy was awesome before the Miami game. When they revealed the J-Dub statue, he got everyone all riled up with "Boomer Sooner" chants at the top of his voice. I came home and saw on my DVR that ESPN got it on TeeVee.

SoonerKnight
10/30/2007, 10:40 PM

No softball! :D

Animal Mother
10/31/2007, 04:51 PM
I saw Billy and his wife at a Wal-Mart when we lived in Los Colinas (Irving, TX). He was great. I knew some guys that were friends of his in Alpha Phi Alpha and lived in Westwood Apartments across from my buddy. Billy and I talked at length and it was just days after we had slapped “his brother” Chrissie around in the Cotton Bowl in 2002. The whorns around us were looking at us like we had just kicked some old dude off a DART bus while it was rolling down LBJ.

Remembering Tom Stidham
10/31/2007, 05:04 PM
I have my favorite Billy Sims story. When he was a sophomore, OU went to Palo Alto to play a good Stanford team. Neither of us could stop the other. Late in the game we were barely ahead, but faced 3rd and 13 near Stanford's goal. If we gave the ball to them it was likely they would drive the length of the field and beat us. Billy took a hand off over right tackle and made 14 yards. OU won the game. Stanford had the world's oldest stadium, and the players had to walk down a hill to get to the stadium. As we were walking back up that hill to the dressing room, I walked next to Billy. I said: "Billy, you won that game for us." He was startled. When I explained what I meant, he was very humble.

Mark_of_Tulsa
10/31/2007, 05:24 PM
If you ever get the chance to meet Billy, do it; he's amazing with the fans
I saw him at one of the 3 Billy Sims restaurants he has here in Tulsa, I forget which one. But I didn't get to meet him.

Does he have any of his Boomer-Q restaurants down in the OKC area?

badger
10/31/2007, 10:52 PM
Did he ever get his Heisman back? Did his "dad" who originally bought it? Anyone have the good word on this?

Lott's Bandana
11/1/2007, 09:54 AM
I wish all the media blew was spelling. Did anyone see ESPN's Todd McShay yesterday on SportsCenter explaining how Misery's national championship hopes are still alive because if they ran the table and met Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship Game, they could win because it is being played in Kansas City, and not Norman?

Don't remember seeing the Alamodome the last time I was in that town...