PDA

View Full Version : 12-year-old facing felony charges

Ardmore_Sooner
10/26/2007, 11:23 PM
Officer Pulls Over 12-Year-Old Driver
Police Say Boy Stole Mother's Car
Reported By Nancy Amons

LaVERGNE, Tenn. -- A LaVergne police officer was caught off guard this week after what he found in the driver’s seat of a car.

Police said a Chevrolet Cavalier was zooming through the Lake Forest subdivision at 70 mph at a time when the streets are full of children getting off the school bus.

An officer's camera caught the action on tape, but he said he never guessed that a 12-year-old was inside.

"He thought he was pursuing a felony suspect. The vehicle had dark tinted windows. He had no idea there was a child behind the wheel,” said police Cpl. Chris Goins. "To my knowledge, it's the youngest driver we've ever had to pursue."

Officials said the boy slipped out of the house and stole his mother's car. There was also a 6-year-old in the passenger’s seat, police said.

"They were brothers, admitted to taking mom's car while she was at work,” Goins said.

Neighborhood children said the 12- and 6-year-old, who had been left in the care of their grandmother, had been driving around for a week.

The 12-year-old is facing felony charges and is being held in juvenile detention until a hearing on Friday.

"If your children are being left alone, please put your car keys up. Keep an eye on them,” Goins said.

The young driver is charged with driving without a license, reckless endangerment and not wearing a seat belt.

In spite of the wild ride, no one was hurt.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/14425477/detail.html

:pop:

yermom
10/27/2007, 12:17 AM
i'm thinking the parents should be facing some charges... they might as well have left a loaded gun in their hands

rufnek05
10/27/2007, 12:19 AM
I drove when I was 12, but it was a 1989 4x4 S-10.....on the farm