PDA

View Full Version : Any SO Atlanta peeps out there?

NormanPride
10/26/2007, 03:28 PM
It turns out I'm spending next week in the tragically flammable city of Atlanta. What are some good restaurants/attractions that I can visit after work? Unfortunately, I'll be in a conference room all day, but that doesn't prevent me from exploring the city at night.

Try not to get me killed in the ghetto areas, thank you.

Howzit
10/26/2007, 03:46 PM
There are some cool places around the GaTech campus. Blind Willies has live Blues pretty much every night.

Buckhead has lots of places that are safe, though I can't name one.

Avoid south.

South, bad.

NormanPride
10/26/2007, 04:04 PM
Okay, I have to drive around the airport a bit. Do I need to get the rental with bulletproof glass?

And I'm mostly looking for food type places. Live music is a plus and blues would be a good direction.

Please refrain from Michael Vick-owned Chinese restaurant jokes.

Howzit
10/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Okay, I have to drive around the airport a bit. Do I need to get the rental with bulletproof glass?

Wouldn't hurt. That's not prime real estate, if you get my drift.

And I'm mostly looking for food type places. Live music is a plus and blues would be a good direction.

Lot's of good bbq, but usually I'm the takee, not the taker. One place I keep being taken is Fat Matt's. I'm rather meh on it, but everyone else sure thinks it's good.

Please refrain from Michael Vick-owned Chinese restaurant jokes.

There's a good Viet Namese place called Vick's Teh Nguyen.

get it? 'cause...see...nguyen is pronounced win...

:les: IT'S, LIKE, A PLAY ON WORDS!!!!1

Mongo
10/26/2007, 05:13 PM
but usually I'm the takee, not the taker.

see, selfishness

Rogue
10/26/2007, 05:14 PM
There's a sort of "ghey" neighborhood not far from Piedmont Park with some great restaurants, bars, etc that we enjoyed when we were there for the Dave Matthews Band and Allman Bros concert. Within a block there was a Tapas Bar, a couple reputedly good Italian places, a couple bistro thingys, and it all looked very good. Forget the name of the neighborhood, but we enjoyed it.

Howzit
10/26/2007, 05:17 PM
Well, as long as you enjoyed it. That's the imnportant part.

olevetonahill
10/26/2007, 05:42 PM
HookersRus
ywia;)

SoonerBOI
10/26/2007, 05:51 PM
For food you might want to try the ff:

http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/atlantaGA.htm
http://www.pappasitos.com/locations.htm
http://www.pappadeaux.com/pdxlocations.htm

Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center for some sightseeing. Lennox Mall and Phipps Plaza if you want to shop.

phead903
10/26/2007, 07:10 PM
Bones - great steak house with a fantastic wine list - reminded me of a place you would meet some Tony Soprano types.

CUinNC
10/27/2007, 04:36 AM
Gotta go to the Varsity...make sure it's crowded & go on in.....close to the Tech Yellowjackoff's campus...your cholesterol will thank you....

other than that - the Buckhead reference is prolly the best....stay around the Lenox square area

do not let anyone talk you into Underground Atlanta....

King Crimson
10/27/2007, 05:43 AM
there's kind of some funky, bohemian type places in little 5 points--a good vietnamese place i ate once. Varsity needs a trip--who says no to a chili dog? and around Buckhead is a pretty good suggestion. i like Atlanta, but you have to be prepared to be in the car for 30 minutes to go *anywhere*.

fellini's is pretty decent pizza. remember pretty much every other street is named "Peachtree".

one of my buddies from college is from the Atl, and if you want "authentic", there is authentic asian food on the Buford Highway....like where the chinese mafia eats type places.

Blue
10/27/2007, 02:30 PM
Virginia Highlands. Lots of bars and restaraunts.

Wisteria has the best food I've had in Atlanta. Eat there and go to the North Highland Pub next door.

OUAndy1807
10/27/2007, 02:51 PM
let me be the third to tell you to go to the varsity.

Howzit
10/27/2007, 06:12 PM
There's a good Viet Namese place called Vick's Teh Nguyen.

:les: I SAID IT'S A PLAY ON WORDS!!!

:mad:

buncha cretins...

SoonerBOI
10/27/2007, 06:21 PM
I would seriously avoid Buford Hwy...

NormanPride
10/29/2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks a ton, guys! I'm heading by the Varsity tonight for MNF, and I'll be sure to try some of the places you guys have suggested. Anything on the North end I should know about? I'm actually staying in Smyrna, but the travel times have been surprisingly brief.

CUinNC
10/29/2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks a ton, guys! I'm heading by the Varsity tonight for MNF, and I'll be sure to try some of the places you guys have suggested. Anything on the North end I should know about? I'm actually staying in Smyrna, but the travel times have been surprisingly brief.

Don't know if they're still there, but look-up on the innerwebs for the Crab House on Cobb Parkway....(and no, it's legit).....

seriusly, if it is still there.....the garlic blue crab is = 6 cold beers & some
arse-kickin' seafood....

BTW - anybody hollered about the Gold Club yet?:D

NormanPride
10/29/2007, 05:11 PM
Seafood would be nice, but I don't see that one (in Google, at least).

CUinNC
10/29/2007, 05:22 PM
NP - they might be gone.....what they had was too good to be true, to be a year-round supply of quality stuff....at least there is always the 500+chains around you in Smyrna....;)

Roadie food huntin' is tough ( if ya want good)....I travel a lot & never, ever hit the easy marks.....

NormanPride
10/29/2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I feel dirty for going to Applebees last night, but it was the only place who's kitchen was still open. :(