PDA

View Full Version : I never want to hear "Beamer Ball" used again!!

soonerguild
10/26/2007, 10:43 AM
I mean seriously. All you hear is how much time VT spends on special teams and how important they are and blah blah blah. Then how does the "hands team" not know that the ball has to go ten yards. Last time I checked the ball moves faster than the kicking team, let it go by and then some one can catch it when BC guys arent one yard away. That is terrible coaching and they deserved to lose. Beamer Ball is dead.

aero
10/26/2007, 10:57 AM
I agree. I lost a lot of respect for Beamer last night. Really some poor coaching. Your winning by 10 and their punting out of their endzone and you allow a rusher to even brush the kicker? Unbelievable..... There should have been a meeting on the sideline or middle of the field to make sure NOBODY touched the kicker. Set up for a return from mid field, play ball control and maybe you come up with a field goal after chewing up some clock. And besides muffing the onside the guy bats the ball away from his team and right to BC.

cvsooner
10/26/2007, 11:20 AM
Blocking the punt in the end zone almost never works worth a flip anyway, because the ball usually goes out of the end zone and all you get is a safety. I still can't believe they called a 15-yard roughing penalty on it. True, he shouldn't have touched him, but gee whiz...just an awful call. Of course, that pretty much fits with the officiating overall in that game. BC's final drive would probably still be going if they had called the holding on each and every play that was going on.

Civicus_Sooner
10/26/2007, 11:46 AM
I agree. I lost a lot of respect for Beamer last night. Really some poor coaching. Your winning by 10 and their punting out of their endzone and you allow a rusher to even brush the kicker? Unbelievable..... There should have been a meeting on the sideline or middle of the field to make sure NOBODY touched the kicker. Set up for a return from mid field, play ball control and maybe you come up with a field goal after chewing up some clock. And besides muffing the onside the guy bats the ball away from his team and right to BC.No way that was a personal foul though. Should have been five yards and rekick.

snp
10/26/2007, 12:03 PM
I didn't see Beamer out there muffing the onside kick.

Stoop Dawg
10/26/2007, 12:41 PM

So he gets credit when special teams play well (e.g. "Beamer Ball") but it's not his fault when special teams suck?

I want that job.

SoonerGM
10/26/2007, 12:56 PM
no really, i still think the punter touched his own teammate, not someone from VT. am i the only one that thinks this??

tnraider1
10/26/2007, 12:58 PM
I saw that too. The VT player held up and the BC punters leg came down on his own player, who just happened to be holding the VT player. Guess they didn't see that part.

OUmillenium
10/26/2007, 01:01 PM
I also lost a lot of respect for Beamer. Coaching was the reason for the loss. I also credit good coaching and team play for leading most of the game and shutting out BC.

But the prevent D and poor special teams play are on the coaches IMO.

soonerguild
10/26/2007, 02:23 PM

Its not that he muffed it, its where he muffed it, seriously if he lets it get to the second level VT still recovers even with a muff. I mean the ball hadn't gone 7 yards.

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 03:26 PM
Did Beamer really change his defensive play-calling at the end? I think the main difference is that VT got pressure rushing 3 or 4 until those last two possessions when, for whatever reason, BC's O-line showed up. As I recall, it's not like they spent all night playing aggressive D and then changed it up at the end.

I agree with some of you...the running into the kicker call should've not been called and the roughing the kicker call should've only been running into the kicker.

The Maestro
10/26/2007, 04:08 PM
If Va Tech's freshman QB that was hot was able to play last night the game never comes down to any of this stuff.

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 04:14 PM
If Va Tech's freshman QB that was hot was able to play last night the game never comes down to any of this stuff.

Yeah. Tyrod Taylor or something like that.

They were also without their leading tackler.

aero
10/26/2007, 04:15 PM
Did Beamer really change his defensive play-calling at the end? I think the main difference is that VT got pressure rushing 3 or 4 until those last two possessions when, for whatever reason, BC's O-line showed up. As I recall, it's not like they spent all night playing aggressive D and then changed it up at the end.

I agree with some of you...the running into the kicker call should've not been called and the roughing the kicker call should've only been running into the kicker.
I'm not positive but I thought I heard the announcers say Ellison (I think that's his name), who had been beating the frosh tackle all night was out on some of those last plays. Winded??? They were getting good pressure with their front four. They used some 4 and some 3 lineman at the end. The game was not reffed well at all. The VT td was not. Holds, the roughing the punter, etc. IMO, it really comes down to the "hands" team muffing the onside about as bad as you can or that games over.

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 04:34 PM
I'm not positive but I thought I heard the announcers say Ellison (I think that's his name), who had been beating the frosh tackle all night was out on some of those last plays. Winded??? They were getting good pressure with their front four. They used some 4 and some 3 lineman at the end.

Yeah, you heard right. I couldn't believe that when they said it. Forget about special teams, get a better strength and conditioning coach.

snp
10/26/2007, 06:26 PM
So he gets credit when special teams play well (e.g. "Beamer Ball") but it's not his fault when special teams suck?

I want that job.

Does Gundy get blamed when Murray or Patrick fumble? No, holding onto the football is an elementary skill.

Its not that he muffed it, its where he muffed it, seriously if he lets it get to the second level VT still recovers even with a muff. I mean the ball hadn't gone 7 yards.

Moot point if he catches the ball like he's been taught to. Who cares how far it goes as long as you catch the damn thing.

Indy Sooner
10/26/2007, 09:04 PM
Beamer = Overrated

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2007, 02:30 AM
I didn't wanna hear that corny BS in the first place.

85sooners
10/27/2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't wanna hear that corny BS in the first place.
yeah!!