PDA

View Full Version : Fred Phelps in court

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:21 AM
http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_7277523?source=most_viewed

The York resident is seeking unspecified monetary damages in the case for invasion of privacy and intent to inflect emotional distress as a result of the Topeka, Kan., church's protest at his son's funeral in Westminster in March 2006.

Asked Wednesday about a sign that read "Thank God for dead soldiers," Snyder said he thinks about it daily.

Asked about statements issued by the group that his son was raised to support the "Roman Catholic monstrosity" and then sent to fight for the "United States of Sodomy," Snyder said "they have no right to do this to people they didn't know."

U.S. District Court Judge Richard Bennett instructed jurors at the start of testimony Tuesday that the First Amendment protection of free speech has limits, including vulgar, offensive and shocking statements. Bennett said the jurors must decide "whether the defendant's actions would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, whether they were extreme and outrageous, and whether these actions were so offensive and shocking as to not be entitled to First Amendment protection."

The church's founder and pastor, Fred Phelps, took the stand after Snyder and prompted a strong admonition from Bennett when the pastor said he had not considered whether children would see a sign carried by protesters with the words "Semper Fi Fags" and two stick figures that appear to be engaged in sodomy.

"No, it's an irrelevancy," Phelps said.

OK, south oval. Is this free speech or not given the judge's instructions? To me, if this is free speech and they showed up at my son's funeral like that, I should be allowed to pummel them. I can't imagine having to deal with that. :mad:

MamaMia
10/26/2007, 10:27 AM
If there isn't a law superseding free speech, which grants folks the right to bury their loved ones in peace without strangers yelling and holding up rude signs, then there should be.

crawfish
10/26/2007, 10:30 AM
True justice: Phelps is convicted to life in prison with a 6'11, 350-lb gay biker cellmate.

yermom
10/26/2007, 10:43 AM
well, i am all for free speech, but at some point shouldn't this be hate speech?

it's one thing to talk about homosexuals and sodomy, but it's another to throw incendiary words like "fag" around

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:44 AM
That would be sweet! Too bad this is a civil suit. I realize that if he loses it will get appealed to a higher court but I really hope he ends up getting dinged with a huge financial penalty forcing his "church" to shut down.

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:46 AM
it's one thing to talk about homosexuals and sodomy, but it's another to throw incendiary words like "fag" around

Phelps said he chose to use the term "fag" in the group's signs because it comes from scripture
See? It's apparently from scripture. Funny, I've read the Bible cover-to-cover and don't ever recall that particular word being used in any translation. :confused:

yermom
10/26/2007, 10:48 AM
per the judge's instructions:

offensive and shocking statements.

i'm pretty sure their bull**** qualifies

yermom
10/26/2007, 10:53 AM
See? It's apparently from scripture. Funny, I've read the Bible cover-to-cover and don't ever recall that particular word being used in any translation. :confused:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/faq.html

Why do you use the word "fag"?

We use the word "fag" as a contraction of the word "faggot" or "fagot." A "fag" is a firebrand. A "fag" is used for kindling - it fuels fire. "Fag" is a metaphor used in the Bible, for example, in Amos 4:11 (where it is translated "firebrand" in the KJV). Just as a "fag" fuels the fires of nature, so does a sodomite fuel the fires of God's wrath. We do not use the word "fag" in order to engage in childish name-calling. Rather, we use it because it is a metaphor chosen by the Holy Ghost to describe a group of people who BURN in their lust one toward another, and who FUEL God's wrath.

Howzit
10/26/2007, 10:57 AM
I agree with yermom.

It's one thing to state your beliefs, it's another to attack with them. At what point does this go from simple speech to battery?

olevetonahill
10/26/2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with yermom.

It's one thing to state your beliefs, it's another to attack with them. At what point does this go from simple speech to battery?

When and IF they are ever around ME :D

yermom
10/26/2007, 11:22 AM
heh.

OUDoc
10/26/2007, 11:24 AM
Karma. It'll all come back to him, and what happens to him will be the punchline to a really funny joke someday.

jeremy885
10/26/2007, 11:28 AM
Even if the cult is found guilty, I would think jury instructions like this would get it overturned on appeal.

"U.S. District Court Judge Richard Bennett instructed jurors at the start of testimony Tuesday that the First Amendment protection of free speech has limits, including vulgar, offensive and shocking statements. Bennett said the jurors must decide "whether the defendant's actions would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, whether they were extreme and outrageous, and whether these actions were so offensive and shocking as to not be entitled to First Amendment protection."

If this flies, why haven't the skinheads and KKK been shut down. Seems to be the same type of free speech to me.

rufnek05
10/26/2007, 11:34 AM
thats ****ty what they did. I like crawfish's idea of justice. So what did you guys think of this a few years ago?

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6969/juneauop6.jpg