PDA

View Full Version : Don't be sneakin' no candy from the grocery store bins

Okla-homey
10/26/2007, 05:51 AM
in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida.:eek:

Man arrested for eating jelly beans in store
Staff reports
Thursday October 25th, 2007

A man was charged with petty theft after being caught on a surveillance camera taking jelly beans out of a bin and eating them before he got to the cash register.

The 34-year-old Fort Walton Beach man was buying groceries at Albertson’s when he stopped at a bin of candy and put an unspecified number of jelly beans in his mouth, according to an Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office report.

The deputy, who was working an off-duty detail, confronted the suspect after he had paid for the rest of his groceries and asked him if the candy was good. “Yes,” the suspect replied, according to the report.

The deputy told a manager that the suspect had taken about 10 of the “raspberry-flavored” candies. The man denied taking more than two. He added that he’d been shopping at Albertson’s for 30 years and that he was just trying the candy to see if he wanted to buy it. The deputy “advised him that Albertson’s did not have free samples of candy and he should have known that if he had been shopping at Albertson’s for 30 years.”

The man didn't buy any of the candy.

The store manager on duty told the deputy that he wanted charges brought against the suspect, who was also issued a trespass warning.

The jelly beans were priced at $6.99 a pound. The deputy estimated that the 10 jellybeans would have had a value of about $2.

A store manager contacted Thursday confirmed that the store has a “zero tolerance” policy against shoplifting.

StoopTroup
10/26/2007, 07:26 AM
Should have shopped at Food Pyramid.

OUDoc
10/26/2007, 08:07 AM
What a dumas.

soonerinabilene
10/26/2007, 08:07 AM
And $2.00 for ten jelly beans is why albertsons is having to close most of their stores.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/26/2007, 08:10 AM
And you wonder why Alberston's is going down the sh*tter.

proud gonzo
10/26/2007, 08:12 AM
that's retarded. they probably lose more product than that from stuff being dropped accidentally and broken on the floor.

Okla-homey
10/26/2007, 08:41 AM
Lawdy lawd. I just hope they don't have surveillance cams on the produce section. I'm bad to snag a grape or two when in that area.

I guess I better check the statute of limitations on fruit pilferage.:D

MextheBulldog
10/26/2007, 09:02 AM
What a dumas.

Ahem, that's Mr. DuMass

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:06 AM
If he wants free samples, he should just shop at Sam Club.

MamaMia
10/26/2007, 10:22 AM
Thats gross! You're suppose to use the scoop. :P
If he picked through all those jelly beans to specifically get the raspberry ones, then he was lying when he said he wanted to see if he liked them enough to buy them. He just liked the raspberry ones and didn't want to pay for a bag full of assorted flavors. He definitely deserved to have his arm pinched, but going so far as to arrest him for that is like killing a gnat with a baseball bat.

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:24 AM
...is like killing a gnat with a baseball bat.
I may have to change my gnat-killing tactics. Thanks for the heads up! :)

crawfish
10/26/2007, 10:29 AM
They should make you weigh in and then weigh out, and then pay the difference. :D

OUDoc
10/26/2007, 10:33 AM
Apparently, I'm the only one who doesn't use the grocery store as a free buffet.

Jeopardude
10/26/2007, 11:57 AM
Good. Theft is theft.

rufnek05
10/26/2007, 12:04 PM
crap, what about the peanut bin?

Turd_Ferguson
10/26/2007, 12:28 PM
I member those Brach's candy bins in the grocery when I was a kid. Seeing Mom tell me to "get the hell out of that candy" with a Marlboro hangin from her lip's was cool.

proud gonzo
10/26/2007, 01:13 PM
Lawdy lawd. I just hope they don't have surveillance cams on the produce section. I'm bad to snag a grape or two when in that area.

I guess I better check the statute of limitations on fruit pilferage.:D

i used to watch Graham Kerr's cooking show, and he always said that you should try the grapes before you buy them. He said when he goes into the grocery store, he finds the security camera, looks straight into it and waves while he eats the grapes.

GottaHavePride
10/26/2007, 07:48 PM
Thats gross! You're suppose to use the scoop. :P
If he picked through all those jelly beans to specifically get the raspberry ones, then he was lying when he said he wanted to see if he liked them enough to buy them. He just liked the raspberry ones and didn't want to pay for a bag full of assorted flavors. He definitely deserved to have his arm pinched, but going so far as to arrest him for that is like killing a gnat with a baseball bat.

Um, a lot of places have bins pre-sorted by flavor, so he might have just reached in and taken a few out of the raspberry bin.

Still, stealing is stealing.

JohnnyMack
10/26/2007, 08:10 PM
When I was a younger lad and worked in a grocery store I learned early on to just take what I wanted off the shelf, destroy it in some way and then I could eat what was left for free since it went in the spoiled cart in the back. Want some Oreo's? Take the bag, smash one end of it, eat the other end.