PDA

View Full Version : After watching Boston College tonight...

Soonerus
10/25/2007, 11:08 PM
..I am not worried about them they will lose or lose respect from all ratings...they are a average team...exposed...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/25/2007, 11:11 PM
..I am not worried about them they will lose or lose respect from all ratings...they are a average team...exposed...

Agree and don't get all caught up in the beating the #8 team at home. VT is HUGELY overrated. I bet they lose a couple more games.

I'd love to make the BCS Championship game and play BC. That would be a near perfect match-up for us.

soonersn2007
10/25/2007, 11:17 PM
........I see 3 more teams on their schedule capable of beating them.

Vegas Vic
10/25/2007, 11:39 PM
Agree and don't get all caught up in the beating the #8 team at home. .

Yeah, squeeking out a come from behind win against Iowa State is substantially more impressive.

Big Red Ron
10/25/2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, squeeking out a come from behind win against Iowa State is substantially more impressive.That day, ISU could have played with either BC or VT at home.

SoonerMom2
10/25/2007, 11:55 PM
Yeah, squeeking out a come from behind win against Iowa State is substantially more impressive.

How many points did ISU score after their initial touchdown? Answer: Zero, zip, nada. We controlled the rest of the game.

Did you ever stop to think that those long balls our receivers barely missed could have been caused by their being slowed down slightly by the tall grass of ISU? Bet you didn't! Try running on a neatly cut field versus tall grass and see how much faster you can go -- wouldn't have taken much for Sam to connect with the receivers and we would have blown them out.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 12:03 AM
This thread isn't for bashing US...it's for bashing the Blue Meanies or whatever the hell those football midgets that got lucky and pointing out their flaws and their opponent's stupidity.

the_edge
10/26/2007, 12:13 AM
Honestly, I think that BC passed their hardest test with a four point win.

I'm not saying they won't lose, but VT on the road is their most difficult game of the season, and they won.

In any other season I'd say tonight was a nail in the coffin for OU's NC opportunity, but this year anything can happen.

tommieharris91
10/26/2007, 12:31 AM
BC will actually pull votes away from tOSU in the polls if the nuts win at Penn St this weekend. BC after all is in Boston, MA, nice and close to the ESPN HQ. If tOSU loses, they might be all we hear about and it will seem as if other college teams will fall of the planet.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 12:44 AM
At least we won't be listening to a bunch of crap about LSU.

AzianSooner
10/26/2007, 12:46 AM

hey man, you had me at the word "After".

I totally agree. VT su.ck a..ss team score 10 points only and 14 point come back to win the game? c'mon, let them play my sweet JayHawk KS. or even Texas. BC will be rolled over by some team down on the road.

btw, VT is like ATM with the exception that the "pretended" soldiers are beating drum at VT while the "pretented" soldiers at ATM shooting blank with their finger to the air.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 12:54 AM
Well, I have my own finger in the air for both of them!

jps
10/26/2007, 01:09 AM
Well, I have my own finger in the air for both of them!

:D

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 01:17 AM
I may even raise both hands so they won't have to share!

TUSooner
10/26/2007, 06:26 AM
Consider me totally unimpressed with BC or VT.
Except for BC's 2-minute comeback, that was a lame show by 2 mediocre teams. Neither one of those teams would beat:
FLA
LSU
OU
Auburn
Kentucky
Missouri

to name but a FEW of the teams I have SEEN that are better than BC and VT.

PUT DOWN THE YANKEE KOOL-AID !!

Unfortunately, I don't see any real big challenges ahead of BC.

For the sake of whatever decency is left in sports, hope for BC to lose soon. If they play in the BCS/MNC game it will be a joke.

TripleOption14
10/26/2007, 07:14 AM
At least we won't be listening to a bunch of crap about LSU.

Yes you will because they are w/o a doubt the 2nd best team in the country RIGHT NOW. BC are frauds in every way. They didn't win that game Tech just lost it.

sooneron
10/26/2007, 07:22 AM
Yes you will because they are w/o a doubt the 2nd best team in the country RIGHT NOW. BC are frauds in every way. They didn't win that game Tech just lost it.
Yep, if number 2 could catch football and fall to the ground, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

SteelClip49
10/26/2007, 07:41 AM
BC is deserving of their ranking now. Hell, they went into Lane Stadium and sucked for 57 minutes and just needed 3 minutes for the win. Kudos to them and if they win out they will be in the Supadome.

OUSKINS
10/26/2007, 08:24 AM

Totally disagree.

Matt Ryan was awesome at the end of the game. He did what great QB's do: he made plays when his team needed him most. Those last two drives were text book examples of how to lead a team in crunchtime.

Yes, VT certainly deserves blame for blowing a 10 point lead with 2:00 left. EVERY time a team makes a comeback, the other team is going to get criticized.

But Matt Ryan REALLY impressed me last night. Not every QB can have a miserable game and then suddenly lead his team to victory like that.

As for BC: Am I impressed? Not really.

But I'm not impressed with ANYONE right now, including OU.

BC fans who watched OU play Colorado and ISU would have every right to be unimpressed with us as well.

SoonerGM
10/26/2007, 08:26 AM
BC sucks, but they sure have the luck. how many opportunities did VT have to create turnovers last night, but didnt? the guy who bobbled the onside kick... wait, was that Iglesias?!?! the game winning drive for BC consisted of Ryan having all day to throw the ball while his oline was sitting on the backs of dline men and the refs just ignoring it. sorry, not impressed with with Ryan, any QB at this level will find someone to connect with when that is going on.

VT is not that great, but they do have a good defense. i just dont see anyone on BC's schedule that has a high chance for an upset. but you know, i think if VT had won, they would have jumped us anyway, so its really all the same.

Partial Qualifier
10/26/2007, 08:27 AM
Totally disagree.

Matt Ryan was awesome at the end of the game. He did what great QB's do: he made plays when his team needed him most. Those last two drives were text book examples of how to lead a team in crunchtime.

Yes, VT certainly deserves blame for blowing a 10 point lead with 2:00 left. EVERY time a team makes a comeback, the other team is going to get criticized.

But Matt Ryan REALLY impressed me last night. Not every QB can have a miserable game and then suddenly lead his team to victory like that.

BC fans who watched OU play Colorado and ISU would have every right to be unimpressed with us as well.

nice post, hard to disagree with any of that

Blues1
10/26/2007, 08:35 AM
Problem is VT was over rated - BC's victory wasn't that great to begin with - The Sugar bowl teams could come down to the championship games of the ACC - SEC - Big 12 - IF Ohio State Wins out...?? - A very good chance the two best teams WON"T even play in the Sugar Bowl.... :(

SOONERKAT
10/26/2007, 08:36 AM
Speaking of ESPN genuis, did anyone catch the duality that is thier anouncement team?

With four minutes left in the game, Ryan had all but lost the Heisman with a sub-par, two interception game. By the final whistle, he had put together two "Heisman winning" or "Heisman like" drives, and all but locked up the trophy.

Granted, what he did at the end of the game was impressive, but it seemed more to me like the VT D was gassed (not unlike OUr D at Colorado), especially after the on-sides kick.

If VT had ANY kind of an offense ...

aero
10/26/2007, 08:45 AM
Disagree with all of the Ryan knob-bobbing. With the sorry-azzed prevent D that VT went into the last 2 drives, how many other qb's could have done the same thing that Ryan did? How about Chase Daniel? Graham Harrell? Todd Reesing? Cody Hawkens? Paul Smith? Heck, how about Bret Meyer? No, Ryan is no Heisman wonderkind, as much as the sucky espn crew tried to pump him. BC lost that game if not for poor coaching and, unbelievably from a VT team, poor special teams play - roughing the kicker and one of the worst muff of an onside kick I can remember in a long time.

KC//CRIMSON
10/26/2007, 08:51 AM
Totally disagree.

Word. It's also safe to say that if you need Boston College to lose a game, then your team is pretty average anyway.;)

TUSooner
10/26/2007, 08:59 AM
Speaking of ESPN genuis, did anyone catch the duality that is thier anouncement team?

With four minutes left in the game, Ryan had all but lost the Heisman with a sub-par, two interception game. By the final whistle, he had put together two "Heisman winning" or "Heisman like" drives, and all but locked up the trophy.

Granted, what he did at the end of the game was impressive, but it seemed more to me like the VT D was gassed (not unlike OUr D at Colorado), especially after the on-sides kick.

If VT had ANY kind of an offense ...

I had the good sense to listen to Jon Miller's and Joe Morgan's truly exquisite radio broadcast of the World Series while watching the FB game, so I didn't have to listen to those goofballs, Craig James and Todd Blackledge. Ryan looked like a complete DOPE until VT played the matador defense for him. Both teams are vastly overrated, but I guess it's ESPN's job to churn up interest with hype.
BC is now #1 on my "somebody stop them and end the charade" list.

The last sentence of the quoted post says it ALL. If VT had taken advantage of just ONE of the turnovers, BC would be recognized as the pretender they are. And by the way, VT's touchdown was a gift of 3 Wise Men proportion.

zeke
10/26/2007, 09:01 AM
Totally disagree.

Agree

Neither team looked very good, but BC did what it took to win. Something we were not able to do in Colo.

We have no gripe about anything in the way we are ranked or who is ranked ahead of us. We are still in it and still have a fair shot at getting to the big game. Just take care of business.

SOONER STEAKER
10/26/2007, 09:14 AM
GOD allowed the catholics to win. Along with a stupid defensive coordinator.

TUSooner
10/26/2007, 09:19 AM
Agree

Neither team looked very good, but BC did what it took to win. Something we were not able to do in Colo.

We have no gripe about anything in the way we are ranked or who is ranked ahead of us. We are still in it and still have a fair shot at getting to the big game. Just take care of business.

Forget comparing BC and OU (though I think we'd beat them decisively).
Just as an ordinary college football fan, I can NOT force myself to believe that BC is the 2nd best (or even 7th best) team in the country. I accept the fact that pollsters have prejudices and are often ignorant; we live with that. But that doesn't mean I have to stop calling BS on BC.

TUSooner
10/26/2007, 09:22 AM

You insult our Creator while letting VT's invisible OFFense off the hook. How a team with NO offense whatsoever could be ranked #8 is a monument to prejudice and stupidity

soonersn2007
10/26/2007, 09:26 AM
Ugly wins don't hurt you if you have an undefeated record, see tOSU 5 years ago. In fact, you get labels like moxie and showing great character.

Let OU have an ugly win, it's like dead-weight in the polls.

SOONERKAT
10/26/2007, 09:27 AM
I had the good sense to listen to Jon Miller's and Joe Morgan's truly exquisite radio broadcast of the World Series while watching the FB game, so I didn't have to listen to those goofballs, Craig James and Todd Blackledge. Ryan looked like a complete DOPE until VT played the matador defense for him. Both teams are vastly overrated, but I guess it's ESPN's job to churn up interest with hype.
BC is now #1 on my "somebody stop them and end the charade" list.

The last sentence of the quoted post says it ALL. If VT had taken advantage of just ONE of the turnovers, BC would be recognized as the pretender they are. And by the way, VT's touchdown was a gift of 3 Wise Men proportion.

Yep. It was hard to tell which team was the bigger fraud last night. VT's lone TD was a joke of a call and truly a gift. None the less, they will squeak through the remainder of their schedule and get into a decent bowl, whereupon they will no doubt face a stronger team than BC and get absolutely rolled. BC has some decent games left and could lose possibly two, but with the way this season has gone, they might end playing for it all.

As far as all of this Ryan for Heisman crap, it just goes to point out that it has become a "best player on the best team" award. A simple comparrison, if you will:

Ryan: 19 td's, 8 INT's, 7 YPA, Comp % - 61, Efficiency Rank = 47

Sam: 20 TD's, 5 INT's, 9 YPA, Comp % - 69, Eff. Rank = 2

True, Ryan has 561 more yards than Sam, but he has also attempted 147 more passes.

Not a Heisman winner by any means, but as long as they keep winning, who knows.

Rediculous.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/26/2007, 09:33 AM
Agree

I don't think BCs effort last night would have won in Colorado or at Ames. I don't think the point is that we should be ranked ahead of BC if they are undefeated. It is that if BC makes the NC game they will probably be the weakest team of all time to ever get there.

Imagine BC vs LSU for the title in New Orleans. :eek:

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 09:54 AM
From the beginning of that game, it just felt like BC was destined to win. VT's defense came out flying around knocking balls lose...they were everywhere. But BC always seemed to get the bounce to go their way. It just seemed like it was their night. It wasn't until about midway through the 4th that I really thought VT had a chance to win the game. But when BC scored that first TD, I just knew it was over.

I can't recall too many national championship teams who never struggled during the regular season. On the road against a Top 10 team? Sure, VT's probably overrated, but that's still a tough road win. I don't think they're the 2nd best team in the nation, but I think they're as deserving as any other team right now.

TripleOption14
10/26/2007, 09:59 AM
Disagree with all of the Ryan knob-bobbing. With the sorry-azzed prevent D that VT went into the last 2 drives, how many other qb's could have done the same thing that Ryan did? How about Chase Daniel? Graham Harrell? Todd Reesing? Cody Hawkens? Paul Smith? Heck, how about Bret Meyer? No, Ryan is no Heisman wonderkind, as much as the sucky espn crew tried to pump him. BC lost that game if not for poor coaching and, unbelievably from a VT team, poor special teams play - roughing the kicker and one of the worst muff of an onside kick I can remember in a long time.

THANK YOU!!! Some of guys can keep drinking the BC-Matt Ryan Kool-Aid if you want but my eyes are wide open and Matt Ryan&BC showed me NADA for 99% of the game. he's no Heisman and BC is no where near the #2 team in the country. LSU would beat them by 3 TD's! Hell OU on a good day would do the same.

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 10:01 AM
As far as all of this Ryan for Heisman crap, it just goes to point out that it has become a "best player on the best team" award.

Well it's not like Sam is on an awful team. It's all about hype. If you come into the season with it (like Ryan), you've got a good shot of being invited to New York. If you don't have the preseason hype, you've got to set the world on fire. Sam's had a solid year, but he needed a flawless one to overcome the late start (of no preseason hype).

cheezyq
10/26/2007, 10:04 AM
Ugly wins don't hurt you if you have an undefeated record, see tOSU 5 years ago. In fact, you get labels like moxie and showing great character.

Let OU have an ugly win, it's like dead-weight in the polls.

I'm as big a conspiracy theorist as there is around when it comes to OU, and even I don't agree with this. At least not because of the ISU game, anyway.

We climbed in the polls after USF lost (as did everyone else behind us), but went down in the BCS because of the computers. Why? Because we played ISU, who is 1-7.

That further hurts our strength of schedule and with the very slim lead we had before the ISU game, we were doomed even if we crushed ISU. The computers also don't count the margin of victory anymore, at least not in the BCS, so the margin of victory wouldn't have been a factor.

If we had dropped in the polls, I'd be totally on board with you. But I doubt that our dropping in the BCS had anything to do with the ugly win.

And while we're on the subject of idiot booth sportscasters, is Dave Lapham almost as bad as Chris Spielman? Saturday was just painful to listen to. Unfortunately in KC we don't have the Sooners broadcast over the radio. Although I guess listening to BBS isn't pleasant either, but at least he's a homer for OU.

The Maestro
10/26/2007, 10:23 AM
B.C. found a way to win at Va Tech. Va Tech's best QB was hurt, B.C. fumbled three times on ONE possession and recovered them all and then they made plays. When we were at Colorado I was just begging at the T.V., "Somebody for us make ONE big play!" It never happened. If we have ONE person make a play, we could care less about B.C. So I don't knock them for finding a way to win when a win looked tough to come by.

Having said that, we would probably have been passed by Va Tech in the BCS so at least they are eliminated. B.C. has to play at Maryland and Clemson, face Miami and Florida State and then the ACC Championship. They should lose somewhere along the way. But this year more than any, just win, baby...and they did.

aero
10/26/2007, 10:50 AM
B.C. found a way to win at Va Tech. Va Tech's best QB was hurt, B.C. fumbled three times on ONE possession and recovered them all and then they made plays. When we were at Colorado I was just begging at the T.V., "Somebody for us make ONE big play!" It never happened. If we have ONE person make a play, we could care less about B.C. So I don't knock them for finding a way to win when a win looked tough to come by.

Having said that, we would probably have been passed by Va Tech in the BCS so at least they are eliminated. B.C. has to play at Maryland and Clemson, face Miami and Florida State and then the ACC Championship. They should lose somewhere along the way. But this year more than any, just win, baby...and they did.
BC "found" a way to win? That's weird. They found a way to make Beamer throw his D into the sorriest scheme ever invented in the history of football after 56:00 minutes of keeping Ryan uncomfortable and hurried? They found a way to make normally well coached special teams to commit a personal foul (that really wasn't a personal foul but BC "found" a way to make the refs call it one) and bat the onside kick right back to them? Wow. I do agree that BC looked very much like they will lose, likely more than one of their remaining games.

MelloYello
10/26/2007, 11:09 AM
Ryan: 19 td's, 8 INT's, 7 YPA, Comp % - 61, Efficiency Rank = 47

Sam: 20 TD's, 5 INT's, 9 YPA, Comp % - 69, Eff. Rank = 2

Nice statistics!

r5TPsooner
10/26/2007, 11:11 AM
Both teams would be middle of the pack teams in the Big XII.

cvsooner
10/26/2007, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't it be sweet if BC loses to Miami in the final week of the season as we win out? Just imagine what that would do to the computers....

The Maestro
10/26/2007, 11:18 AM
BC "found" a way to win? That's weird. They found a way to make Beamer throw his D into the sorriest scheme ever invented in the history of football after 56:00 minutes of keeping Ryan uncomfortable and hurried? They found a way to make normally well coached special teams to commit a personal foul (that really wasn't a personal foul but BC "found" a way to make the refs call it one) and bat the onside kick right back to them? Wow. I do agree that BC looked very much like they will lose, likely more than one of their remaining games.

And if we had beaten Colorado the same way I would be overjoyed and not even concerned with Boston College. But we were fumbling, dropping passes, fumbling punts and being ultra-conservative. NOT ONE player for OU in the last 28 minutes at Colorado made a play to win the game. Meanwhile, give Matt Ryan credit, his touchdown pass was a big time throw. Hey, I wanted B.C. to lose as well...but they didn't. And this year, that's about ALL that counts.

lithium
10/26/2007, 11:23 AM
Please keep religion out of it.
BC will lose one. They are average at best.

cvsooner
10/26/2007, 11:24 AM
And it's amazing how holding in the last two minutes of the BC-VT game was suddenly okay, when it wasn't earlier. Amazing.

aero
10/26/2007, 11:44 AM
And if we had beaten Colorado the same way I would be overjoyed and not even concerned with Boston College. But we were fumbling, dropping passes, fumbling punts and being ultra-conservative. NOT ONE player for OU in the last 28 minutes at Colorado made a play to win the game. Meanwhile, give Matt Ryan credit, his touchdown pass was a big time throw. Hey, I wanted B.C. to lose as well...but they didn't. And this year, that's about ALL that counts.
Maestro, I would take a win no matter how, but if we had been given the game by CU the way VT gave that one to BC, I wouldn't be thinking we "found" a way to when, rather we should have lost and they gave it to us. But I'd take it any way. Actually, we gave CU the game with the dropped punt return, etc., as you mention. Ryan made no play that at least a half a dozen other qb's could have made with the D VT was using. Way to much field to work with and no pressure. I could care less that they won or not but they didn't look like a #2 team. Maybe there are no dominant teams this year and that is the only reason they would even be a top 10 team. I'm not even thinking about who needs to win to help us. Things will be as they will be at the end and we will be there or we won't. We may not be world beaters but we're as good as anybody right now.

Jdog
10/26/2007, 11:44 AM

Agreed -
This year reminds me of being a Denver Donkeys fan in the 80's. you could take a 3 hour nap during the game wake up with 2 minutes left to play - the other team could be ahead by 10 points - and odds were still 70-30 that the Donkeys would win.
What a wild year for college football.

Jdog
10/26/2007, 11:51 AM
And it's amazing how holding in the last two minutes of the BC-VT game was suddenly okay, when it wasn't earlier. Amazing.

Holding - what about the chop blocks. At the end of the game someone on VT's D-line was getting chopped on every play. Even Craig James was saying that that's what BC needed to do to stop the rush. It reminded me of the Chop block penalty we got on Smith's INT return in the Texas game.

TopDawg
10/26/2007, 01:44 PM
Even Craig James was saying that that's what BC needed to do to stop the rush.

Craig James was talking about a "chip" block...where the running back just kinda nudges the DE on his way into his pass route. It's not much of a block, but it throws him off just enough to give the QB another half second or so, without making the back stay in the backfield and limiting the number of receivers.

HTown77095
10/26/2007, 03:06 PM
I actually feel sorry for Boston College. They got the media swinging from their ***, next thing you know, they'll be mismatched in their bowl game, get blown out, and then lose all their games next year. Sounds familiar? hint: Notre Dame

Boston College is this years Notre Dame. Poor bastids.