PDA

View Full Version : hmm up by 10 4 minutes to go, let's see milk the clock offense, safe defense

usmc-sooner
10/25/2007, 10:12 PM
where have I seen this crap before?

I hate this game plan. :mad:

Mark_of_Tulsa
10/25/2007, 10:14 PM
They threw the ball what, like 12 times in a row with 8 guys back, and their was still someone wide open everytime?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2007, 10:14 PM
PREVENT defense, PREVENT offense,...you know the rest...of the story.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2007, 10:17 PM
I could have sworn i was watching an OU-Colorado replay tonite

SoonerDood
10/25/2007, 10:18 PM
well you can't milk the clock on offense if you don't have the ball.

10/25/2007, 10:20 PM
well you can't milk the clock on offense if you don't have the ball.When you do have the ball you hand it off, and preferably 8-10 yds deep in your own backfield, run that three times, then punt...again.

The Maestro
10/25/2007, 10:22 PM
Why can't coaches figure that stuff out? Rushing three, dropping 8 is NEVER better than rushing 7 dropping four.

Redgiant2
10/25/2007, 10:23 PM
Why a team boasting what might be the single slowest defensive line in college football today would decide to rush three and allow someone to pick them apart for a full 4 minutes at the end of a ball game for the win is beyond me. How do these morons keep their jobs???? That was pathetic defense. Just awful. Either one of these teams would struggle to beat A&M.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2007, 10:23 PM
Why a team boasting what might be the single slowest defensive line in college football today would decide to rush three and allow someone to pick them apart for a full 4 minutes at the end of a ball game for the win is beyond me. How do these morons keep their jobs???? That was pathetic defense. Just awful. Either one of these teams would struggle to beat Baylor

Fixed :D

Redgiant2
10/25/2007, 10:27 PM
LOL,^^ yeah I thought about Baylor for a second but I figured even Baylor is more exciting than A&M most of the time.

redblood
10/25/2007, 10:48 PM
If BC is the number 2 team in the country I'm an Ethiopean sumo wrestler..

goingoneight
10/25/2007, 10:51 PM
A "prevent" defense is not supposed to be used when only up by two possessions. It's made to "prevent" the big play from happening and forces the other team to eat the clock up doing so. It works when you're up 41-24, or when you are early-in and you're going to make them earn their sure yards. Stoops is 7-*1 against Tech because sometimes you just know a team that either has a good system or has established momentum is going to get their yards.

Not smart to use when the other team is driving for the win. See: Fiesta Bowl.

10/25/2007, 10:53 PM
If BC is the number 2 team in the country I'm an Ethiopean sumo wrestler..I think they have some more games that are fairly tough, and should lose pretty soon, unless the teams they play have coaches who go into PREVENT with more than 1 minute left in the game.

Indy Sooner
10/25/2007, 11:03 PM
I could have sworn i was watching an OU-Colorado replay tonite

BC was only down 10.

Dan Thompson
10/25/2007, 11:25 PM
I am surprised there where no flags for OL down field on the pass plays that took all day to complete.

Big Red Ron
10/25/2007, 11:35 PM
I am surprised there where no flags for OL down field on the pass plays that took all day to complete.Not to mention the holding.

[hairGel]

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2007, 11:59 PM
And they deserve a 15 yarder each down just for being BC!

tommieharris91
10/26/2007, 12:23 AM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that dropping 8 back should only be used when defending a likely hail mary. Teams should really be sending at least 4 guys to the QB on every play, whether from DLine rush or blitzing a player and using a 3 man line. Also, I do now believe that BC is deserving of their ranking now that they went into the house of a 1-loss team and beat em. I would vote them #1 until they lose or the season ends.

kevpks
10/26/2007, 12:27 AM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that dropping 8 back should only be used when defending a likely hail mary. Teams should really be sending at least 4 guys to the QB on every play, whether from DLine rush or blitzing a player and using a 3 man line. Also, I do now believe that BC is deserving of their ranking now that they went into the house of a 1-loss team and beat em. I would vote them #1 until they lose or the season ends.

They do have a better résumé than tOSU or ASU, so I'd buy that. I don't think BC will win out, but I'd vote them #1 till someone knocks them off.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 12:48 AM
Being that they are basically women in pads and helmets, they are more likely to be knocked up! ;)

RedstickSooner
10/26/2007, 12:49 AM
I've never seen a D-line play as slow as VaTech's tonight. I'm fat as hell, get zero exercise, and I'm thinking I could probably run faster than them for a good 40 yards (at which point the fact that they have some conditioning would kick in, I would collapse, and they would finally catch me).

There should have been some delay safety blitzes almost every down. Any QB who makes a D-1 roster is gonna complete a pass if he has 20 friggin' seconds to do so.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 12:52 AM
They coulda sent a chipmunk on a blitz and got better pressure.

Redgiant2
10/26/2007, 03:42 AM
They coulda sent a chipmunk on a blitz and got better pressure.

With the BMI of those defensive linemen it sure as hell looked like they did. It was like watching Ron Jeremy after a big meal trying to chase down an 18 year old girl.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2007, 04:01 AM
Just play the same defense that got you in the lead.

TUSooner
10/26/2007, 06:16 AM

**** Also, I do now believe that BC is deserving of their ranking now
that they went into the house of a 1-loss team and beat em. I would vote them #1 until they lose
or the season ends.

They do have a better résumé than tOSU or ASU, so I'd buy that. I don't think BC will win out, but I'd vote them #1 till someone knocks them off.

Sorry, but y'all 2 are NUTS! But unfortunately, you are not alone - a bunch of idiotic pollsters agree.
Consider me totally unimpressed with BC or VT.
Except for BC's 2-minute comeback, that was a lame show by 2 mediocre teams. Neither one of those teams would beat:

FLA
LSU
OU
Auburn
Kentucky
Missouri

to name but a few of the teams I have seen that are better than BC and VT.

PUT DOWN THE YANKEE KOOL-AID !!

For the sake of whatever decency is left in sports, hope for BC to lose soon. If they play in the BCS/MNC game it will be a joke.

wishbonesooner
10/26/2007, 07:26 AM
VT was pressuring the QB the whole game, and he looked very average, certainly no Heisman candidate. They went into the find a way to lose defense, and he had enough time to have a sandwich in the pocket. A prevent defense just prevents you from winning.

MichiganSooner
10/26/2007, 08:06 AM
I am surprised no one has commented on the punt block attempt. BC got the punt off but the punter fell down; barely got brushed if even touched by the rusher. Automatic first down. Why they were trying to get a block is beyond me. Beamer would have had the ball at mid-field and could have extended the lead.

southern sooner
10/26/2007, 08:28 AM
VA Tech blew it but I still think BC will go down. It may be in their Camp game but they will lose.

LesNessman
10/26/2007, 08:29 AM
I am surprised no one has commented on the punt block attempt. BC got the punt off but the punter fell down; barely got brushed if even touched by the rusher. Automatic first down. Why they were trying to get a block is beyond me. Beamer would have had the ball at mid-field and could have extended the lead.

Amen to that!

Also still up 10-0, VT had 3rd and 6 or 8 at the BC 25 or 30 with 4:30 to go and they try a bomb that was of course incomplete and ran only bout 6 ticks off the clock. WHAT IN THE SAM HILL IS THAT? Run up the gut and take 35-45 seconds off the clock!

Lordy-b'gordy!!

aero
10/26/2007, 08:33 AM
Yes. That should have been a non call. The guy barely brushed him. The game was poorly reffed. You're right. Why was any VT player even close to the punter.

OUmillenium
10/26/2007, 08:56 AM
Prevent D...prevents you from winning

SoonerGM
10/26/2007, 08:56 AM
Not to mention the holding.

[hairGel]

im glad someone else noticed! the 3 man rush would have actually be quite effective, BC had to hold (in this case, also know as pulling opponent down to the ground and then sit on him) on every one of those pass plays to stop 3 guys. LOL @ BC conditioning for the oline!!

on the play where the refs actually bothered to throw a flag for holding, one of the linemen was holding immediatly threw his hands up in the air and looked at the ref like "what did i do?!". turns out the penalty wasnt even called on him... feeling a little guilty??

im sorry, i absolutly hate holding. i mean i understand that it happens to some degree on every play. but when it gives a QB all day to throw when it should have been serious pressure with a potential sack... thats game changing right there. holding like that is about as close to cheating on the field as it gets.

SoonerGM
10/26/2007, 08:58 AM
Yes. That should have been a non call. The guy barely brushed him. The game was poorly reffed. You're right. Why was any VT player even close to the punter.

on the replay, to me it looked like the punters foot actually came down on a BC player... not VT.

misplaced_sooner
10/26/2007, 09:19 AM

No kidding. The "touchdown" that Va Tech had WAS NOT a touchdown, the running into the kicker call and the pass interference call were ticky tack calls.

I was really torn about this game. If Va Tech won, they'd have jumped OU in the rankings. I'd rather see BC win last night and get beat by a lower ranked team in a week or so.

The Va Tech D played good ball for 58 minutes. Reminds me of OUs D, great until they play a soft prevent D(called by our wonderful D coordinator:mad: ). Get up there, knock those receivers off their routes, disrupt the timing. You can still play a cover 2, I just hate seeing defenders playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Andrew

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2007, 09:45 AM
If BC is the number 2 team in the country I'm an Ethiopean sumo wrestler..

Best Line Ever!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2007, 09:47 AM
im glad someone else noticed! the 3 man rush would have actually be quite effective, BC had to hold (in this case, also know as pulling opponent down to the ground and then sit on him) on every one of those pass plays to stop 3 guys. LOL @ BC conditioning for the oline!!

on the play where the refs actually bothered to throw a flag for holding, one of the linemen was holding immediatly threw his hands up in the air and looked at the ref like "what did i do?!". turns out the penalty wasnt even called on him... feeling a little guilty??

im sorry, i absolutly hate holding. i mean i understand that it happens to some degree on every play. but when it gives a QB all day to throw when it should have been serious pressure with a potential sack... thats game changing right there. holding like that is about as close to cheating on the field as it gets.

How many holds were there on those last 2 drives. ? How many holds called - 0

How can a ref look at a guy pulling the D guy down and laying on him and not throw the flag. Oh wait - BC scored, no flag...

SoonerBBall
10/26/2007, 12:09 PM
No kidding. The "touchdown" that Va Tech had WAS NOT a touchdown, the running into the kicker call and the pass interference call were ticky tack calls.

I was really torn about this game. If Va Tech won, they'd have jumped OU in the rankings. I'd rather see BC win last night and get beat by a lower ranked team in a week or so.

The Va Tech D played good ball for 58 minutes. Reminds me of OUs D, great until they play a soft prevent D(called by our wonderful D coordinator:mad: ). Get up there, knock those receivers off their routes, disrupt the timing. You can still play a cover 2, I just hate seeing defenders playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Andrew

I almost thought we had a n00b here that would be a solid contributor. Guess I was wrong....again.

I hope every team we play tries to jam MK and JI at the line on every play. If that happened we would win every game we play by 50 points, regardless of the quality of opponent. Attempting to jam receivers with any kind of speed is a sure way to get burned deep early and often. You can bitch about our defensive philosophy all you want, but it is a proven winner.

Stoop Dawg
10/26/2007, 12:36 PM
Just play the same defense that got you in the lead.

I didn't see the game, but that's what I'm thinking too.

How do you hold a team to zero points for an entire game, then give up 2 TDs right at the end? If your defense is working, why change it? It's not like the other team hasn't been trying to score the entire game.

BillyBall
10/26/2007, 12:50 PM
What was really interesting was that Va Tech and Beamer are always touted for their special teams play but BC dominated special teams all night.

Theskipster
10/26/2007, 12:50 PM
I didn't see the game, but that's what I'm thinking too.

How do you hold a team to zero points for an entire game, then give up 2 TDs right at the end? If your defense is working, why change it? It's not like the other team hasn't been trying to score the entire game.

It should also be noted that there was a different play caller (QB instead of screen happy OC) on those two final drives.

cvsooner
10/26/2007, 12:56 PM
Hate the prevent defense all you want, too, but the one blitz VT attempted in that final drive went for big yardage.

Where VT's and our prevent has run into trouble has been when they let the receivers get behind them. That especially shouldn't happen when the field starts getting shorter. No way on earth the winning TD catch should have happened...but he was behind the secondary.

OUmillenium
10/26/2007, 01:02 PM
Good point cvsooner.

I mostly don't like the passive attitude that seems to come with the prevent D.

Stoop Dawg
10/26/2007, 01:03 PM
It should also be noted that there was a different play caller (QB instead of screen happy OC) on those two final drives.

I realize the offense is going to change, and that the offense is going to take a few more risks. It still amazes me though how often it happens that teams who haven't moved the ball the whole game can suddenly manage 100s of yards at the end of a close game.

aero
10/26/2007, 01:53 PM
Not that he was calling some elaborate play to exploit a mismatch. Pretty much all of the plays on the final 2 drives were scrambles for 1st downs and passes to receivers that ran around until they finally shook the defenders.

misplaced_sooner
10/26/2007, 02:52 PM
I almost thought we had a n00b here that would be a solid contributor. Guess I was wrong....again.

I hope every team we play tries to jam MK and JI at the line on every play. If that happened we would win every game we play by 50 points, regardless of the quality of opponent. Attempting to jam receivers with any kind of speed is a sure way to get burned deep early and often. You can bitch about our defensive philosophy all you want, but it is a proven winner.

Proven winner?! Ha!

Boise State
Oregon
USC
KSU
LSU.........

Proven winner????? Laughable. I never said every play, but when ISU needs 12 yards and our DBs line up 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, thats a problem. Hey I love the sooners, but watching us throttle back and give up the easy stuff and repeatedly get beat in big games makes me wanna puke. Bob Stoops should have 2 NC if not 3. I don't expect us to win every year, but I can't stand to see embarrassments either(given that the Oregon game we got screwed and BSU was a good team).

Andrew

101sooner
10/26/2007, 02:57 PM
Proven winner?! Ha!

Boise State
Oregon
USC
KSU
LSU.........

Proven winner????? Laughable. I never said every play, but when ISU needs 12 yards and our DBs line up 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, thats a problem. Hey I love the sooners, but watching us throttle back and give up the easy stuff and repeatedly get beat in big games makes me wanna puke. Bob Stoops should have 2 NC if not 3. I don't expect us to win every year, but I can't stand to see embarrassments either(given that the Oregon game we got screwed and BSU was a good team).

Andrew

You're one of those glass half-empty guys aren't you.

misplaced_sooner
10/26/2007, 03:00 PM
You're one of those glass half-empty guys aren't you.

Maybe.;)

In all seriousness, we've been to two NC games since 2000. What happened in both? We got beat down to our socks.... If SoonerBBall wants to call me out fine... I have FACTS to back up my argument.

Andrew

101sooner
10/26/2007, 03:28 PM
Maybe.;)

In all seriousness, we've been to two NC games since 2000. What happened in both? We got beat down to our socks.... If SoonerBBall wants to call me out fine... I have FACTS to back up my argument.

Andrew

Well, I suspect BBall is a half-full kind of guy and that he could come up with a few facts himself back up his argument. I'll just move along now. I'm still enjoying OU's wins over Texas and #8 Missouri.

aero
10/26/2007, 04:03 PM
Hate the prevent defense all you want, too, but the one blitz VT attempted in that final drive went for big yardage.

Where VT's and our prevent has run into trouble has been when they let the receivers get behind them. That especially shouldn't happen when the field starts getting shorter. No way on earth the winning TD catch should have happened...but he was behind the secondary.
You're right that the defenders shouldn't let the receiver behind them but when they have all day to run around its hard to stay with them that long. As far as the blitz, it looked like a delayed blitz between tackles, nothing from the outside, and they mistimed it. They were late and by the time they hit the line they got tied up in the scrum. If they had been there earlier the linemen would have had to make a choice who to block.

proudsoonergal
10/26/2007, 05:03 PM
What was really interesting was that Va Tech and Beamer are always touted for their special teams play but BC dominated special teams all night.

Yep, I'd give the BC punter a helmet sticker. He had incredible punts, even though the weather was horrible. He did a great job of pinning VT numerous times when it looked like VT would get good field position. I think that was a big factor on why VT was not up by more late in the game.

OklaPony
10/26/2007, 05:13 PM
Maybe.;)

In all seriousness, we've been to two NC games since 2000. What happened in both? We got beat down to our socks....
Andrew
Hmmm... I don't remember it that way. We lost one by a touchdown but definitely did get throttled in the other.

aero
10/26/2007, 05:35 PM
Maybe.;)

Andrew
Yeah. So. We've lost games. One of those games was a gift to the other team from the refs. One was a close game for the NC (forget our qb was nicked). One was a BCS against a pretty good team in what became a game for the ages (too bad we came up on the wrong end). One was for the CC against a good KSU team. The other was a beat down in the title game. Funny 2 of those loses were for the NC and another for the CC and a fourth was a BCS game. You may lose some games but you can't win championships if you aren't in the game. I'm guessing there are quite a few coaches who'd love to have Bob's record and record against top 25 teams or even top 10 teams. I can honestly say no loss has ever made me not an OU fan and I wouldn't trade our records, championships, coaches, tradition, you name it, with ANY other college football program. And I'll gladly accept those few loses as it goes with the territory.

Theskipster
10/26/2007, 06:05 PM
I realize the offense is going to change, and that the offense is going to take a few more risks. It still amazes me though how often it happens that teams who haven't moved the ball the whole game can suddenly manage 100s of yards at the end of a close game.

Usually when you see that it is a combination of a couple things:

1. The defense starts playing to defend the big play instead of the play.
2. The offense play calls becomes more aggressive.
3. The defense is tired so the smaller amount of pressure allows the QB to be more successful.

I hate it too, but I was really impressed with Matt Ryan when he had a chance to take over. That last throw he had all the way across the field off his back foot was impressive. But I do recognize that he had the favorable conditions that I listed.

medstudent24
10/26/2007, 07:31 PM

Thats because OU teaches the secondary to watch the QB and the HB for runs and QB scrambles. If they were simply taught to ignore the QB/HB and just stay behind the WR at all costs then you wouldnt see this nonsense.

On the other hand, the RB could get 20 yards a pop on a delay draw and the QB (even a slow one) could get an easy 20 yards scrambling up field.

10/26/2007, 08:28 PM
Thats because OU teaches the secondary to watch the QB and the HB for runs and QB scrambles. If they were simply taught to ignore the QB/HB and just stay behind the WR at all costs then you wouldnt see this nonsense.

On the other hand, the RB could get 20 yards a pop on a delay draw and the QB (even a slow one) could get an easy 20 yards scrambling up field.And with those 20 yd FIRST DOWN plays, the clock gets stopped.

SoonerBBall
10/26/2007, 11:56 PM
Proven winner?! Ha!

Boise State
Oregon
USC
KSU
LSU.........

Andrew

First off, signing all your posts is lame. Your board name is right next to all of them, and I don't want to know your real name. Thank you internetz!!1!one!

Second, not a single one of those losses (except maybe the Boise St. game) was lost because of our defense. We never lead against LSU, Oregon was a screw job, KSU we scored once in the first quarter and never again, and USC was a complete pasting. So what how are any of these "facts" that our defensive coordinator sucks? Each and every game you listed we had offensive issues that rivaled or exceeded our defensive ones.

Finally, you can't laugh at our defensive scheme being called a proven winner. 92-20 since 1999 says you are dead wrong. You are just another in a long line of fans who is spoiled by our recent success and refuses to just be satisfied with winning consistently.

SoonerBBall
10/26/2007, 11:59 PM

On the other hand, the RB could get 20 yards a pop on a delay draw and the QB (even a slow one) could get an easy 20 yards scrambling up field.

See above. 92-20 since 1999 says that you are way to spoiled. Try being an OSU fan for a year and then come crawling back to a program that is competitive year in and year out.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2007, 02:37 AM
First off, signing all your posts is lame. Your board name is right next to all of them, and I don't want to know your real name. Thank you internetz!!1!one!

Ha-Ha!

and 92-20 is awesome...but I wanna win more anyway! I don't complain though, like so many others. I just have faith in my SOONERS!

-Barry Manilow

85sooners
10/27/2007, 09:22 AM
bc is horrible

auto
10/27/2007, 09:26 AM
Matt RYan just stated the key to the last two drives was Va Tech's pass rush let up.

Redgiant2
10/27/2007, 09:56 AM

Second, not a single one of those losses (except maybe the Boise St. game) was lost because of our defense. We never lead against LSU, Oregon was a screw job, KSU we scored once in the first quarter and never again, and USC was a complete pasting. So what how are any of these "facts" that our defensive coordinator sucks? Each and every game you listed we had offensive issues that rivaled or exceeded our defensive ones.

Finally, you can't laugh at our defensive scheme being called a proven winner. 92-20 since 1999 says you are dead wrong. You are just another in a long line of fans who is spoiled by our recent success and refuses to just be satisfied with winning consistently.

First off, ****ing and moaning because someone puts their name in their posts is not only lame it's whiney and quite frankly something an old woman would carry on about. You're right. They never lead against LSU. But how good did the entire team look in the first place. Just because the offense struggles doesn't mean the defense is automatically given a free pass. Oregon should never have been that close. The defense was TORCHED all day. Yell and whine all you want about a blown call. The D NEVER responded to the adversity in that game. They rolled over. KSU TORCHED the defense in the Big XII game. Torched them. They were confused and discombobulated all 4 quarters. They were never able to adjust. Even if the offense would've been scoring against USC the defense had absolutely no ****ing shot at stopping them. They attacked that D all night long and they didn't have 1 answer for what USC was doing to them other than to call it a night half-way through the 3rd quarter. Another roll-over. Boise once again left the defense picking up their jocks all 4 quarters. OU got beat on trick plays because they are undisciplined and lack aggresiveness. Colorado took it to them in the second half. Again, no response. ISU moved the ball nearly at will between the 20's only to self destruct in the red zone. Count the ISU game as luck and give a game ball to the ISU OC. And every game since Mike left has been an adventure in pass coverage and at times teams look like they are using OU as a walkthrough for their run game. 92-20 blah, blah, blah, blah....

Stoop Dawg
10/28/2007, 12:37 PM
Georgia kept throwing the ball downfield and SCORING in the 4th quarter. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD THE LEAD!!

Bizarre.

SoonerBBall
10/28/2007, 02:50 PM
...some useless, inane bullsh*t...

92-20 blah blah blah?

Discounting that statistic automatically invalidates your arguments. That is a sick winning percentage, especially considering that no team plays up to their full potential all the time. I'm not here saying that our defense hasn't lost us games (A&M 2002, OSU 2002, I'll even give you Boise St.), just that many of the losses you mention can't be pinned on them (CU 2007, OSU 2001, Nebraska 2001, LSU 2002).

soonerloyal
10/28/2007, 04:58 PM
****ing and moaning...something an old woman would carry on about...blah, blah, blah, blah....

You were saying something?

misplaced_sooner
10/29/2007, 08:28 AM
First off, ****ing and moaning because someone puts their name in their posts is not only lame it's whiney and quite frankly something an old woman would carry on about. You're right. They never lead against LSU. But how good did the entire team look in the first place. Just because the offense struggles doesn't mean the defense is automatically given a free pass. Oregon should never have been that close. The defense was TORCHED all day. Yell and whine all you want about a blown call. The D NEVER responded to the adversity in that game. They rolled over. KSU TORCHED the defense in the Big XII game. Torched them. They were confused and discombobulated all 4 quarters. They were never able to adjust. Even if the offense would've been scoring against USC the defense had absolutely no ****ing shot at stopping them. They attacked that D all night long and they didn't have 1 answer for what USC was doing to them other than to call it a night half-way through the 3rd quarter. Another roll-over. Boise once again left the defense picking up their jocks all 4 quarters. OU got beat on trick plays because they are undisciplined and lack aggresiveness. Colorado took it to them in the second half. Again, no response. ISU moved the ball nearly at will between the 20's only to self destruct in the red zone. Count the ISU game as luck and give a game ball to the ISU OC. And every game since Mike left has been an adventure in pass coverage and at times teams look like they are using OU as a walkthrough for their run game. 92-20 blah, blah, blah, blah....

Watch out..... If you don't have 14000 posts here, you're opinion is viewed as mindless poopycock. Plus you get neg feedback from candy *** DBs that sit here and think they are Bear Bryant.

SoonerBBall, I can post my real name, cause I'm a man.[hairGel] You internet **** talkers don't bother me. My name is Andrew, you can look me up anytime you're in Spokane.

Andrew

misplaced_sooner
10/29/2007, 08:35 AM
92-20 blah blah blah?

Discounting that statistic automatically invalidates your arguments. That is a sick winning percentage, especially considering that no team plays up to their full potential all the time. I'm not here saying that our defense hasn't lost us games (A&M 2002, OSU 2002, I'll even give you Boise St.), just that many of the losses you mention can't be pinned on them (CU 2007, OSU 2001, Nebraska 2001, LSU 2002).

92-20 is a good record. No argument. However, what is our record in Big 12 title games/NCGs/Bowl games? 5-4. Not spectacular.

I'm not saying I'd trade our records or Bob Stoops as our coach. But, the defensive side of the ball is supposed to be easier to improve. They should gel quickly and play tough all the time. I certainly don't blame the players. I blame the coaching staff. Prevent defense works, it prevents you from winning.

Andrew

SoonerBBall
10/29/2007, 10:43 AM
Watch out..... If you don't have 14000 posts here, you're opinion is viewed as mindless poopycock. Plus you get neg feedback from candy *** DBs that sit here and think they are Bear Bryant.

SoonerBBall, I can post my real name, cause I'm a man.[hairGel] You internet **** talkers don't bother me. My name is Andrew, you can look me up anytime you're in Spokane.

Andrew

Post counts are irrelevant. I've been on this board going on 10 years and I am not even to 1,500 posts. The reason people will stick up for me is because in 10 years I have been pretty good about only sticking it to people who deserve it (see...Redgiant).

Also, wake up. You are on the internet, and on the internet posting your real name doesn't make you a man, it just makes you look like a pretentious ******.

SoonerBBall
10/29/2007, 10:49 AM
92-20 is a good record. No argument. However, what is our record in Big 12 title games/NCGs/Bowl games? 5-4. Not spectacular.

I'm not saying I'd trade our records or Bob Stoops as our coach. But, the defensive side of the ball is supposed to be easier to improve. They should gel quickly and play tough all the time. I certainly don't blame the players. I blame the coaching staff. Prevent defense works, it prevents you from winning.

Andrew

Our 5-4 record in those games has almost nothing to do with the prevent defense. As I said before, we only played prevent in one of those four losses, and that was Boise St. So how is this even relevant to the conversation?

Also, who told you that defense is the easier side of the ball to improve on? If that was true, wouldn't every team have a spectacular defense by the end of the year? Hell, USC has been dominating for the last 5 years or so, so why is their defense getting torched these days?

92-20 is proof that we have great coaches on botht he offensive and defensive side of the ball. Your reaction to it also just proves that most of the OU fanbase has already forgotten the 90s and become spoiled with success.

misplaced_sooner
10/29/2007, 11:58 AM
Our 5-4 record in those games has almost nothing to do with the prevent defense. As I said before, we only played prevent in one of those four losses, and that was Boise St. So how is this even relevant to the conversation?

Also, who told you that defense is the easier side of the ball to improve on? If that was true, wouldn't every team have a spectacular defense by the end of the year? Hell, USC has been dominating for the last 5 years or so, so why is their defense getting torched these days?

92-20 is proof that we have great coaches on botht he offensive and defensive side of the ball. Your reaction to it also just proves that most of the OU fanbase has already forgotten the 90s and become spoiled with success.

We'll agree to disagree..... I'd rather do that than continue the name calling sissy fight.....:rolleyes:

Andrew

SoonerBBall
10/29/2007, 03:42 PM
We'll agree to disagree..... I'd rather do that than continue the name calling sissy fight.....:rolleyes:

Andrew

Seriously, are you new to the Internet? Welcome to message boards, where every debate will be a name calling sissy fight.

I only agree to disagree on one point, which would be the part about which side of the ball it is easier to improve on. That, I think, would be hard to prove one way or ther other.

I refuse to agree to disagree concerning your assertion that our current D-coordinator is somehow not cut out for this job and also that you, and most our other fans, have become ridiculously spoiled when it comes to OU football. I am dead right about those two things.

misplaced_sooner
10/30/2007, 05:17 PM
Seriously, are you new to the Internet? Welcome to message boards, where every debate will be a name calling sissy fight.

I only agree to disagree on one point, which would be the part about which side of the ball it is easier to improve on. That, I think, would be hard to prove one way or ther other.

I refuse to agree to disagree concerning your assertion that our current D-coordinator is somehow not cut out for this job and also that you, and most our other fans, have become ridiculously spoiled when it comes to OU football. I am dead right about those two things.

:pop: