PDA

View Full Version : Today I hate Boston College....

IGotNoTiming
10/25/2007, 02:30 PM
Sooners need them to lose tonight....
Boston has been having all the righteous sports luck they need... The Pats are undefeated, The Sox just crushed the Rockies in Game 1 of the series, hell there is even excitement surrounding the Celtics again since KG joined up with them so Boston College needs to be pimp slapped hard tonight....

go whoever is playing them....

85sooners
10/25/2007, 02:33 PM
go hokies!!

IGotNoTiming
10/25/2007, 02:40 PM
what is a hokie anyway? The fighting snails would even sound better than "hokies"

fadada1
10/25/2007, 02:40 PM
just looking at bc's remaining schedule, they're in for a rough ride. should they win out, they deserve a title shot.

blech, blech!!! spit, spit!!!!

go fightin' gobblers!!!!

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 02:53 PM
No one in Boston cares about BC. I heard that the bar in Boston that "Cheers" was based on will be showing the World Series on all of their TVs.

Sooner Among The Pack
10/25/2007, 04:08 PM
From vt.edu:

What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.

Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
Techs, Techs, V.P.I.
Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.
Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.

However, everyone else in the ACC says that a Hokie is a neutered turkey. :)

Sooner Among The Pack
10/25/2007, 04:11 PM
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering...

#2 Boston College +3 @ #8 Virginia Tech.

85sooners
10/25/2007, 04:11 PM
From vt.edu:

However, everyone else in the ACC says that a Hokie is a neutered turkey. :)lol

soonersn2007
10/25/2007, 04:16 PM
We should pull for V-tech b/c some psycho killed some of their students, seems like a good enough reason for me. ;)

r5TPsooner
10/25/2007, 04:17 PM
No one in Boston cares about BC. I heard that the bar in Boston that "Cheers" was based on will be showing the World Series on all of their TVs.

I feel just the opposite. I'd rather watch the World Series of Poker than a Colorado-Boston baseball World Series.

hellogoodbye
10/25/2007, 04:24 PM
hokies need to pahk that cah back to bahstahn
freaks

KantoSooner
10/25/2007, 04:25 PM
I lived in Western Mass for five long years (including one memorable spring in which we had rain every day from mid-January to the end of May - my boots turned green with mold, as did everyone else's. Lovely place.)
The sports fans there are rabid, as is their right, but utterly clueless regarding football and tend to shove the pats, the sox, the celts, the eagles, the minutemen et al down the throats of anyone who is in earshot. (and they dwell on football records and trivia from the late nineteenth century. As you would if that was the last era in which your teams meant anything.)

I will be thrilled to listen to the Hokies mug that group of useless hos from Boston and am hoping for a multi-td beatdown.

Get the hate going.

All_Day_28
10/25/2007, 04:28 PM
but if they hokies win, do they jump us in the BCS?

IGotNoTiming
10/25/2007, 04:46 PM
The Hokies may jump us... but right now BC IS ahead of us. I'll take my chances with MIGHT HAPPEN vs. IS

Ardmore_Sooner
10/25/2007, 05:36 PM
We should pull for V-tech b/c some psycho killed some of their students, seems like a good enough reason for me. ;)

I've read this about 10 times now, and I still can't find any humor in it at all... :confused:

MextheBulldog
10/25/2007, 05:58 PM
Go Hokies.....for the Sooners and my wallet:pop:

soonersn2007
10/25/2007, 06:17 PM
I've read this about 10 times now, and I still can't find any humor in it at all... :confused:

That's because you missed it, this is a remark upon how ESPN drummed up their first regular season game this year............for the mass media to try to turn a team/area that has suffered a travesty can now find solace in a winning a football game.

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 06:58 PM
From vt.edu:

However, everyone else in the ACC says that a Hokie is a neutered turkey. :)

We'll just call em aggies and be done with it.

guzziguy
10/25/2007, 07:28 PM
I hated BC yesterday too. I'm sure I will tomorrow also.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/25/2007, 08:24 PM
That's because you missed it, this is a remark upon how ESPN drummed up their first regular season game this year............for the mass media to try to turn a team/area that has suffered a travesty can now find solace in a winning a football game.

I know how ESPN dumped the koolaid on us for the entire offseason and during the ECU/VT game, but I still don't find the post amusing or funny at all. I guess we have different definitions of humor.

bluedogok
10/25/2007, 08:25 PM
I like BC, we have considered moving to Boston and I would probably go to BC games since I could get season tix there. I don't really care who wins the game tonite as both are too close to OU to. I am just much of a fan of New Thug U (VT).

I have the Sox game on the big screen and the BC-VT game on the second TV, the weather does look nasty in Blacksburg tonite.

rubyspirit
10/25/2007, 08:55 PM
You don't have to hope they lose. BC is a terrible team. VTech will win tonight.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 01:09 AM
I sure wish you'd been right! But they still suck!

SoonerTerry
10/26/2007, 01:24 AM

Thats because there is none.. just do like I did, neg him and move on..

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 01:26 AM
That or stop after the 2nd or 3rd time through.

Personally I keep replying because the more I type the sleepier I get...Insomnia sucks!

Chrisrokc
10/26/2007, 09:51 AM
This could have been a good thing. What if they win out? LSU loses again, and the other teams like AZ along with the others above us lose.

That means OU vs. BC