PDA

View Full Version : Morriss might go buh-bye at Baylor

SoonerStormchaser
10/25/2007, 01:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/10/24/baylor.morriss.ap/index.html

Seriously...who the hell are they gonna get that's actually BETTER? No one wants to go there (except SicEm).

Hmmm...that gives me an idea.
SicEm for Coach!

HTown77095
10/25/2007, 01:48 PM
http://i21.tinypic.com/1zxxfds.jpg

SoonerWally
10/25/2007, 01:50 PM
What about promoting that guy that wizzed on the bar?

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 01:55 PM
Houston Nutt's agent has supposedly already contacted Baylor in the event that he's fired up in Arkansas. I've also heard Callahan's name suggested.

However, 95% of the talk surrounds Mike Singletary who is evidently very interested in taking the job. There's a lot of heresay going on, but there's so much word and rumor about it that it has to at least contain a bit of truth. Singletary wanted the job back when Morriss was hired, but Baylor didn't think he had enough coaching experience. There's been a group of money men, regents, etc. who have been wanting Singletary for a long long.

The odds are that if Morriss is fired it'll almost certainly be Singletary assuming the details of it can be worked out.

pennsooner
10/25/2007, 01:58 PM
If we are lucky, Baylor will remain the perrenial doormat of the big 12.

OklahomaTuba
10/25/2007, 02:28 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

firing Morris for Singletary would be one of the worst moves that school could do.

Baylor needs to stick with the guy for a few more years.

85sooners
10/25/2007, 02:30 PM
:pop:

royalfan5
10/25/2007, 02:30 PM
Houston Nutt's agent has supposedly already contacted Baylor in the event that he's fired up in Arkansas. I've also heard Callahan's name suggested.

However, 95% of the talk surrounds Mike Singletary who is evidently very interested in taking the job. There's a lot of heresay going on, but there's so much word and rumor about it that it has to at least contain a bit of truth. Singletary wanted the job back when Morriss was hired, but Baylor didn't think he had enough coaching experience. There's been a group of money men, regents, etc. who have been wanting Singletary for a long long.

The odds are that if Morriss is fired it'll almost certainly be Singletary assuming the details of it can be worked out.
Hiring Callahan would certainly be the Baylor thing to do.

OklahomaTuba
10/25/2007, 02:34 PM
John Blake would make a great Baylor coach. He has more experience than Singletary!!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2007, 02:42 PM
Singletary will be Baylor's Blake...I understand the love and family junk, but what hard feelings will there be when the mighty Singletary doesn't win at Da Bears and gets fired like everyone else...

Perhaps he'll one up Blake, instead of destroying files, perhaps he will burn down the Athletic Center...

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 03:10 PM
For their sake, I hope they're not looking at him just because he's Mike Singletary. On the other side, if I was an up-and-coming coach, there's no way I'd take the Baylor job.

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 03:28 PM
Mike Singletary is currently an NFL defensive coordinator (I forgot which team). If they hire him, they might win some conference games and get to a bowl game under him. Singletary has had interviews with NFL teams about head coaching positions.

r5TPsooner
10/25/2007, 03:32 PM
Callahan? You mus be shi**in me.

Civicus_Sooner
10/25/2007, 04:01 PM
Mike Singletary is currently an NFL defensive coordinator (I forgot which team). If they hire him, they might win some conference games and get to a bowl game under him. Singletary has had interviews with NFL teams about head coaching positions.
Blake was an NFL d-line coach...

TexasLidig8r
10/25/2007, 04:13 PM
Whoever is coaching them is a moot point until the Baylor administration makes a commitment, financial and otherwise, to the football program. As long as they are content to sit back and accept the bowl money and television revenue generated by the Big XII, Baylor will never be anything other than a minor irritation and a major rival of aggy.

r5TPsooner
10/25/2007, 04:15 PM
Whoever is coaching them is a moot point until the Baylor administration makes a commitment, financial and otherwise, to the football program. As long as they are content to sit back and accept the bowl money and television revenue generated by the Big XII, Baylor will never be anything other than a minor irritation and a major rival of aggy.

Don't forget one of the best medical schools in the country.:texan:

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 04:29 PM
Don't forget one of the best law schools in the country.:texan:

Fixed. Baylor Medical School is almost entirely disconnected from the university. The only connection is that our President is on their Board of Regents/Directors.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 04:32 PM

That's exactly right.
I think we can have some 6 win seasons here and there, but longterm success isn't going to happen until what you said above comes to pass.

At any rate, the answer is "yes" they're going after Singletary just because he's Singletary and the only reason he'd consider us is because he's an alumnus.

Having said that, I have my doubts about Singletary but I'm willing to give him a shot. Morriss doesn't fit in at Baylor real well and he doesn't like it here. Singletary has a real passion and love for the university and truly cares what happens to the football program and to the university.

Honestly, the only other coach that really excites me is Paul Johnson at Navy.

Outopia
10/25/2007, 04:51 PM
Heard Mike Singletary as a speaker at a business fuction once. He was..... OK, but not very impressive. I don't think he could raise that program up. Heck, Jesus couldn't raise that program.

Ike
10/25/2007, 05:30 PM
I always think that "coaching experience" is one of the worst indicators of how well a particular coach will do at a given university. One need look no further than Drunkenberger for evidence of this. Not many coaches had more experience than him going into that one year. Singletary might be a decent fit for Baylor if he wants the job that bad. In fact, if I was Baylor, the last people I would be looking for as a head coach are highly experienced coaches, because I think that those coaches are going to be the least likely to take the job. Instead, I'd be looking for that diamond in the rough genius who's looking to prove himself by building a program from the ground up. I imagine that by the time a coach gets to the point that he is considered "experienced", he doesn't want to waste his time with that kind of stuff....

anyway, thats my .02

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 05:36 PM
I always think that "coaching experience" is one of the worst indicators of how well a particular coach will do at a given university. One need look no further than Drunkenberger for evidence of this. Not many coaches had more experience than him going into that one year. Singletary might be a decent fit for Baylor if he wants the job that bad. In fact, if I was Baylor, the last people I would be looking for as a head coach are highly experienced coaches, because I think that those coaches are going to be the least likely to take the job. Instead, I'd be looking for that diamond in the rough genius who's looking to prove himself by building a program from the ground up. I imagine that by the time a coach gets to the point that he is considered "experienced", he doesn't want to waste his time with that kind of stuff....

anyway, thats my .02

We just havne't had such great luck over the years trying to find the "up and comer." I'm torn on this because I would love to find that diamond in the rough, but at the same time we'd NEVER be able to keep the guy at Baylor if he proved to be a great coach.

The benefit of Singletary is that he'd more than likely never go to another school if he was successful. He might leave us for the NFL, but I can't see him going to another college.

Paul Johnson makes me more comfortable all things considered, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about Singletary.

The Maestro
10/25/2007, 05:37 PM
Baylor's John Blake? That guy would have to be winless.

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 05:37 PM
What are you talking about? Their administration shows commitment to the program every few years by firing the coach because he's not winning enough. That shows they want to win in the worst way. :D

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 05:39 PM
What are you talking about? Their administration shows commitment to the program every few years by firing the coach because he's not winning enough. That shows they want to win in the worst way. :D
I think we go through a new coach, on average, every 4 years since entering the Big XII.

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 05:41 PM
The benefit of Singletary is that he'd more than likely never go to another school if he was successful. He might leave us for the NFL, but I can't see him going to another college.
It is terrible, this idea.

TU was looking for a basketball coach that wouldn't be looking for greener pastures so they hired old reliable John Phillips because coaching TU was his dream job. It was a disaster. Much better to hire the young hotshot that will probably move on in 3 or 4 years than to take the guy that seems safe.

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 06:44 PM
Singletary might be closer to [hairGel] then Boo. If the next coach can average 6 wins a season at Baylor he'd be a success.

goingoneight
10/25/2007, 07:51 PM
I hear Notre Dame is hiring... :pop:

bluedogok
10/25/2007, 08:15 PM
I think he is with the Niners.

OklahomaTuba
10/25/2007, 09:00 PM
Charlie Weiss may be looking for a job, and a sandwich.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 09:24 PM
I'll say this. GuyMo is taking his bashing right now by fans, but he's done a hell of a job as compared to his predecessor Coach Carrot.

Ike
10/25/2007, 09:58 PM
We just havne't had such great luck over the years trying to find the "up and comer." I'm torn on this because I would love to find that diamond in the rough, but at the same time we'd NEVER be able to keep the guy at Baylor if he proved to be a great coach.

Paul Johnson makes me more comfortable all things considered, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about Singletary.

That is the one problem with diamonds in the rough....theres a lot of rough.

phead903
10/25/2007, 09:59 PM
I know over here in HAwgland, they are hoping against hope that Baylor will take Nutt-case off of their hands. However, I can't imagine any school with a halfway decent program wanting to take on Houston Nutt and all of his baggage.

Of course, he did graduate and play at OSUck, so I guess it's always possible he could go back there and be their Blake...

I will say that will miss the unitentional comedy factor if he finds another job.:D

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 10:00 PM
I'll say this. GuyMo is taking his bashing right now by fans, but he's done a hell of a job as compared to his predecessor Coach Carrot.
That's really shocking. Seriously.

I mean the part about Baylor having fans.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2007, 10:07 PM
Can I get a link to their discussion?
I'm morbidly curious.

snp
10/26/2007, 12:05 AM

Yup.

I'll always pull for Baylor since my sister went there and they have great fans but right now, that is a dead end job.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/26/2007, 01:26 AM
I know over here in HAwgland, they are hoping against hope that Baylor will take Nutt-case off of their hands. However, I can't imagine any school with a halfway decent program wanting to take on Houston Nutt and all of his baggage.

Of course, he did graduate and play at OSUck, so I guess it's always possible he could go back there and be their Blake...

I will say that will miss the unitentional comedy factor if he finds another job.:D
As a disenchanted Arkansas alum, Baylor and Sic 'Em, take Houston Dale Nutt, please. And yeah, phead, you're right. The new Razorback football coach may be a dullard and a total straight arrow; he'll be the kind of person that won't be texting his "mistress" less than 20 minutes before kickoff of a major bowl game.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2007, 01:30 AM
I think Baylor should hire someone who's never heard of Baylor and knows nothing about college football. That way he won't know they are supposed to suck.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2007, 10:50 AM
Baylor may have sucked in the past, but they will rewrite record books with Bill Callahan at the helm.

badger
10/26/2007, 11:22 AM
getting fired from baylor would be the equivalent of pledging to every fraternity and getting rejected by everyone, including the nerd herd.

guy morriss is spewing bad luck. first there's that bluegrass miracle while he's in kentucky and now he's getting fired from BAY-lorrrrrrrrrr?! Ehhh... dude should retire before he gets fired.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/383/morrissao0.jpg

Civicus_Sooner
10/26/2007, 11:36 AM
Morris shouldn't be fired. Look at what the BC coach has done after five years of suckage.

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2007, 11:37 AM
getting fired from baylor would be the equivalent of pledging to every fraternity and getting rejected by everyone, including the nerd herd.

guy morriss is spewing bad luck. first there's that bluegrass miracle while he's in kentucky and now he's getting fired from BAY-lorrrrrrrrrr?! Ehhh... dude should retire before he gets fired.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/383/morrissao0.jpg

I think things would be different right now for him if he hadn't switched to that G-D spread offense when we don't have the players to run it.

His OC choice is highly suspect and another result of the spread....

Bring on Samurai Mike!

royalfan5
10/26/2007, 11:44 AM
Morris shouldn't be fired. Look at what the BC coach has done after five years of suckage.
You mean BC's first year head coach?

badger
10/26/2007, 12:11 PM
You mean BC's first year head coach?
Yeah... um... surely everyone's heard the "lateral step to NC State coaching job switch turned out to suck hardcore" story, right? If not, I hereby declare you "n00b."

TexasLidig8r
10/26/2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah... um... surely everyone's heard the "lateral step to NC State coaching job switch turned out to suck hardcore" story, right? If not, I hereby declare you "n00b."

n00b. :D

Charla
10/26/2007, 05:25 PM
even a good coach needs alot of good players and a few great ones to compete in the big twelve.

tommieharris91
10/26/2007, 06:48 PM
even a good coach needs alot of good players and a few great ones to compete in the big twelve.

Women; can't live with em; can't live without em.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2007, 06:52 PM
With a team like Baylor, I judge a coach by football fundamentals, not wins/losses. Is the football getting snapped on time? Is there a punter in the game when the ball is deep-snapped? Do the players have to use a Twister sheet to know if they are supposed to go into the game? Do the players look like they have been coached?

If the team can play week after week without embarrassing itself with stupid penalties and turnovers, keep the coach. He is doing probably about as well as anyone could.

bluedogok
10/26/2007, 08:36 PM
Baylor did have an award winning punter (Sepulveda) who was drafted in the 4th round of the draft last year and is the punter for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I would think if you were a punter or kicker Baylor may be a pretty good place to go since it is such an important position.

badger
10/26/2007, 09:33 PM
n00b. :D
yout00b (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89d6IbxThlA)

okienole3
10/26/2007, 10:07 PM

Actually, he isn't the coordinator.

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2007, 11:37 PM
Actually, he isn't the coordinator.
He's the linebacker's coach for the 49ers.

StoopTroup
10/26/2007, 11:44 PM
Is Baylor taking the Heartland Flyer to the game this year?

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2007, 11:45 PM
Is Baylor taking the Heartland Flyer to the game this year?
lol, I highly doubt it.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2007, 01:28 AM
Personally, I think they need some of the great players they once had. and they need to use them to their full potential.

Remember Robert Strait? That kid was AWESOME in HS in Cuero his senior year and so was their QB. I saw them kick the crap out of La Grange in a playoff game and all they did was run an OU style option game to perfection. Those guys shoulda went to OU or Baylor shoulda took 'em both and ran the 'bone.

Big Red Ron
10/27/2007, 10:24 AM
I think they should just start lifting weights.

fadada1
10/27/2007, 10:33 AM
I think they should just start lifting weights.
good lord. why don't you just hand them the sears trophy right now. nobody else will come close to them if they start.