PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Area golf ****** about'ers

OUTromBoNado
10/25/2007, 12:18 AM
So, I'm just getting started. I'm going to play my first round of 9 holes on Friday. My whole thing with taking up golf was getting out and playing a round of 9 once or twice a week...walking the course. It's part of my plan to get out and be more active.

It will probably be a little while until I play a full 18. I want to get some experience first. What are some good front or back 9 courses to play around Tulsa that would help me as a beginner?

Also consider the factor of how busy these courses are? Probably most of my time will be spent at either Cotton Creek or South Lakes since they are closest to me.

jigglymonkey
10/25/2007, 12:25 AM
Cotton Creek is always good for practice rounds if your just working on your game and hitting a ball or two.

Hamhock
10/25/2007, 07:34 AM
South Lakes is a fun and easy course, iffn you're not dodging airplanes.

Mjcpr
10/25/2007, 08:23 AM
Mohawk Pecan Valley is a good beginners course, especially the front 9.

Hamhock
10/25/2007, 08:32 AM
If you can make it to OKC, I hear Belmar is practically putt-putt.

OU4LIFE
10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
South Lakes would be a nice place to start and learn, it's short, and fairly easy. PLUS, the airplanes help you work on your focus...TOO MANY of the people I play with can't stand a little noise when they are trying to swing....just hit the damned thing.

Good luck, and put the time in on the short game and you will improve MUCH faster.

Hamhock
10/25/2007, 09:06 AM
Good luck, and put the time in on the short game and you will improve MUCH faster.

bull.

it's all about how far you can hit it. Swing as hard as you possibly can on every shot. who cares where it goes, if it goes far?

NormanPride
10/25/2007, 09:07 AM
TBN's good at the "short" game.

soonernation
10/25/2007, 09:26 AM

The best advice yet. Go find yourself a par 3 course and start there. You won't have to worry about being rushed and you can get some good short game practice.

OUTromBoNado
10/25/2007, 12:45 PM
The best advice yet. Go find yourself a par 3 course and start there. You won't have to worry about being rushed and you can get some good short game practice.

The only par 3 course I know of LaFortune, and it's hella busy. That's where I'm planning on playing my first full 18. I took my lessons at South Lakes. It does suck when you're in the middle of a swing and jet decides to fire up its engines.

TBN's good at the "short" game.

Your mom didn't seem to mind.:texan:

OUTromBoNado
11/13/2007, 01:41 AM
So, I'm playing only my second round of 18 tomorrow. Hopefully, I have enough balls to make it through. Last time I played 18, it didn't go so well....lol.

Speaking of golf balls, anyone have a kind they recommend? I know it's personal preference and how it suits your game. Anyone have any experience with the Nike Power Distance Soft (green box)? I thought about trying those.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2007, 02:31 AM
The Muni course in Tulsa was kinda fun. I can't remember the name, though. Um, I think a hospital was nearby.

Lott's Bandana
11/13/2007, 08:41 AM
Hopefully, I have enough balls to make it through.

Anyone have any experience with the Nike Power Distance Soft (green box)? I thought about trying those.

NPDS are a good ball for just starting out. Consumer Reports gave them as many stars at the Titlest ProV (mostly for price and value) so I tried a box and they are good. The Titlest NXT is also a good ball for beginner/intermediate as it is controllable as well.

Stay away from TopRocks, Pinnacles and ProVs until: A) You realize you have a natural straight 300yd drive, or B) You have lots of disposable income. Even then, stay away from the TopRocks.

Nothing putts as well as the "old" ProV1s with the seam, IMHO.

Next time you come to Norman for a game, come early, stop at PostNet (south of Hwy9, west side of Classen) and buy some 'gently used' ProV1s for about $14.00 per dozen...they are in good shape and still play well for a non-handicapper...then go over to Cobblestone Creek nearby and play the Par 3 course. Tough when it is windy, still it gives you a real gauge as to how far you hit your irons and lets you practice your short game on a fairly wide-open track.

Good luck, have fun, hit 'em straight!

OUWxGuesser
11/13/2007, 09:04 AM
Hopefully, I have enough balls to make it through.

That's what she said?

Mjcpr
11/13/2007, 09:11 AM
The Muni course in Tulsa was kinda fun. I can't remember the name, though. Um, I think a hospital was nearby.

Was the hospital pink? If so, LaFortune Park.

OU4LIFE
11/13/2007, 09:44 AM
So, I'm playing only my second round of 18 tomorrow. Hopefully, I have enough balls to make it through. Last time I played 18, it didn't go so well....lol.

Speaking of golf balls, anyone have a kind they recommend? I know it's personal preference and how it suits your game. Anyone have any experience with the Nike Power Distance Soft (green box)? I thought about trying those.

the top flite D2 'feel' ball. It has green writing on it. It has more spin off a full 8 iron than a ProV, and it has less spin off the driver. It just doesn't have the greenside characteristics of the ProV, so it suffers there, but for an every day ball for a high handicapper, or a winter ball for a player, it's a nice, cheap option at about 20 bucks a dozen.

Larry&Leisa
11/13/2007, 10:06 AM
As far as golf balls for a beginner... the cheapest... Unless you are just a natural you won't find much difference between em. ( ok .. maybe somewhat on the feel...)

yeah.. the short game does wonders for your score

and as OU4life said.. just hit it dammitt! don't over think... Jack Nicholas said when he was hitting the ball good he had only 3 swing thoughts... when he was hitting it bad... he thought of only 1.

and don't play golf angry...

OUTromBoNado
11/14/2007, 03:20 AM
and don't play golf angry...

Yeah, I've already made that mistake. Several times. I get really great distance on my drives when I play angry...except for that 50 yard slice after it travels 200 yards.

I still have a horrible slice off the tee, but every time I play, I slowly figure out a new way to reduce it by just a little. Fixing an outside-in swing is a b!tch.

OU4LIFE
11/14/2007, 08:24 AM
Fixing an outside-in swing is a b!tch.

yes, yes it is. It takes time, patience and a decent camcorder helps too.

stick with it.

sooneron
11/14/2007, 12:22 PM
..then go over to Cobblestone Creek nearby and play the Par 3 course. Tough when it is windy, still it gives you a real gauge as to how far you hit your irons and lets you practice your short game on a fairly wide-open track.

Good luck, have fun, hit 'em straight!

Cobblestone can be very tough for a beginner (esp. with wind) , but you get to use almost all of your clubs in the bag. I used to love playing a quick nine there. Nine holes inside an hour and a half on a weekday rules!
The 7th hole is still to this day one of the toughest par 3 holes that I have played.