PDA

View Full Version : HAY nOOBS NOT LIKE THIS

douxpaysan
10/24/2007, 09:32 PM
Published Wednesday | October 24, 2007
Husker players being subjected to more ridicule
BY RICH KAIPUST
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Nebraska football captain Zack Bowman showered, wandered outside Memorial Stadium on Saturday and thought he couldn't feel any worse about the Huskers' loss to Texas A&M.

He was wrong.

"People will come up and be like, 'You suck!'" said Bowman, a senior cornerback. "To me, to the team, they say it to anybody. Anybody associated with the football program. It's bad.

"You see them at the games. They'll come up behind the bench and just be like, 'Y'all suck,' or, 'How can y'all wake up in the morning?' I'm dead serious, man."

So much for the warm, fuzzy feeling after Tom Osborne replaced Steve Pederson as athletic director last week.

At least two other players mentioned that they could hear an assortment of catcalls from fans while sitting on the bench during games. The more vitriolic comments seem on the increase after embarrassing back-to-back home losses to Oklahoma State (45-14) and Texas A&M (36-14).

Bowman and senior receiver Maurice Purify said Tuesday that, at least in their experience, the simple booing of a month ago has given way to more bitter and pointed remarks — and traveling to Texas on Saturday might not be a bad thing for an embattled team.

"I'm just kind of angry at the fans who come here," Purify said. "They put on their Nebraska shirts, sweaters, their hats . . . and then when we're down by seven or 14, they come down to the sidelines and say, 'You guys suck. You guys take your N's off your helmets.'

"If you're going to support us when we win, why can't you support us when we're losing?"

Purify, careful to point out that he was speaking for himself and not for the team, added: "Why are you going to waste your money and come here just to boo us and tell us that we suck? Save your money."

Senior linebackers Steve Octavien and Corey McKeon already have made comments this season that stirred replies by NU followers. That was when the team was 3-1 or 4-1 and the complaint was with the level of play and was mostly confined to the stadium.

As NU has stumbled to 4-4, Bowman said, the criticism has drifted into other settings and has become more disturbing.

"Now it's almost to the point where, like, I know some of the guys want to fight these people," Bowman said. "We do a lot. We come in here almost every day and go through film, go through practice and do the extra things to get better. When you've got people out there just talking bad about you, it makes you mad.

"It's got to where people are just like, 'The program's going to hell. This may be the worst team in Nebraska history.' It's tough on the players."

Senior cornerback Cortney Grixby said he hopes most Huskers understand that the nasty fans are a small minority. Some of the negativity, he said, actually has gotten other fans to respond, show more support and "really have our back."

"We love the support, and we want to win for them," Grixby said. "We want to win just as bad as they want us to win."

When the minority is heard over the majority, Bowman said, his message to younger players is to go about their business and don't worry about such stuff. Still, it sometimes gets through.

"They're like, 'Put someone else in . . . you guys need to resign,'" said freshman I-back Quentin Castille.

To catch a break from the negativity, junior defensive end Zach Potter said he took advantage of some off time Monday and returned to Omaha. In trips to a mall and a movie, Potter said, he only once was recognized, by a store clerk who said: "I appreciate you coming in, and best of luck the rest of the year."

Potter said the drive gave him time to just listen to music and clear his head.

"It's just nice to get away from everything," he said. "I don't mean getting away from your teammates, but just being on your own is kind of nice."

Bowman said the Huskers realize they can change public opinion by winning at 16th- and 17th-ranked Texas or by putting together some sort of successful finish. That's what the team can control — and let the rest take care of itself.

"It's almost a little like Frankenstein, how everybody sees, like, the evil villain and everybody in the village wants to go kill him," Bowman said. "That's what it kind of feels like around here. They look at certain people and coaches and stuff as that Frankenstein, and everybody wants to kill them or get them fired."

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:37 PM
talk about classy! sad

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:39 PM
btw the way...does anyone remember our fans acting like this during our dark years (90's)????

SoonerStormchaser
10/24/2007, 09:41 PM
Looks like the players cashed in their season already...

badger
10/24/2007, 09:45 PM
I don't think I've created an appropriate graphic yet... oh wait... do we need a reminder why to hate Nebraska? Here we go once again, ladies and gentlemen...

In 1997...
Nebraska: 69
Oklahoma: 7 :(

In 1996...
Nebraska: 73
Oklahoma: 21 :(

And now Nebraska fans, the classiest fans in the world, are telling their players that they suck and the players are feeling sorry for themselves???

All I have to say, with apologies to HskrGrl, is...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9433/lolmu3.jpg
:D Great article, thanks for posting. :D

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 09:52 PM
NU fans are great fans...these chump "fans" saying things like that to their own team are the fair-weather, band wagoners that we all have to suffer at times...

badger
10/24/2007, 09:55 PM
NU fans are great fans...these chump "fans" saying things like that to their own team are the fair-weather, band wagoners that we all have to suffer at times...
Like at halftime of OU/ISU :rolleyes:

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:56 PM
different to do it on the internet ...than at the games

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 09:57 PM
Like at halftime of OU/ISU :rolleyes:

nolo comprehende ???

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 10:20 PM
whats a nOOB?

goingoneight
10/24/2007, 10:23 PM
Is it like a bewb? :confused:

Big Red Ron
10/24/2007, 10:24 PM
Sounds a little Eric Moore-ish to me. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2007, 10:25 PM
btw the way...does anyone remember our fans acting like this during our dark years (90's)????

Yes.

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 10:27 PM
Yes.

I don't, in the stands...

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2007, 10:29 PM
I remember a guy in one of my classes telling Eric Moore to his face that he had no heart.

I remember Albert Hall telling me about some of the abuse he took from our fans.

I sure as heck remember hearing our own team get booed.

birddog
10/24/2007, 10:30 PM
Sounds a little Eric Moore-ish to me. :D

yes indeed. gawd those days were awful. glad to see someone else going through it.

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 10:32 PM
I was at virtually all of those games...I am not sure we had enough fans their to create a chorus of boos...

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 10:43 PM
I was at virtually all of those games...I am not sure we had enough fans their to create a chorus of boos...

heh :O

Big Red Ron
10/24/2007, 10:43 PM
I remember a guy in one of my classes telling Eric Moore to his face that he had no heart.

That might have been me. :O Just kidding! :D

But jeeze, for a guy that Howard called the next Randal Cunningham, he sure knew how to throw directly to a wide open receiver's shoe strings.

It's like he got worse over time. Truth be told, the guy never should have been a QB at OU.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2007, 10:47 PM
On the one hand, Moore's run out of bounds inside the 1 on fourth down vs. Taco Tech didn't impress me a whole lot. On the other, it's not like I was strapping on pads and playing.

I think Moore could have been OK had he received anything approaching decent coaching. His mechanics were ALL messed up.

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 10:53 PM
On the one hand, Moore's run out of bounds inside the 1 on fourth down vs. Taco Tech didn't impress me a whole lot. On the other, it's not like I was strapping on pads and playing.

I think Moore could have been OK had he received anything approaching decent coaching. His mechanics were ALL messed up.

He had a world of potential...

Stoop Dawg
10/24/2007, 11:54 PM
For my part, I remember hate-ing on the coaches, not the players. Guys like Eric Moore and Patrick Fletcher were doing the best they could. Also, we did have some serious talent on some of those teams. As bad as we were, it was awesome watching De'mond Parker and James Allen run all over the field. It's extremely unfortunate that they had to play for guys like Schnelly and Blake.

Soonerus
10/24/2007, 11:58 PM
Patrick Fletcher was an intramural QB...James Allen was a HUGE disappointment until the Texas OT win....

Stoop Dawg
10/25/2007, 12:13 AM
Oh, c'mon. Who didn't enjoy watching Fletcher run around the field like a chicken with his head cut off? That was pure entertainment.

And Allen didn't quite live up the hype, but he was an absolute monster in that OU/TX game!

My point was, I don't remember my friends bashing the players for lack of performance. We always blamed the coaches. Only the coaches. That's not to say that there weren't others who bad-mouthed the players, but we didn't.

RoaminSooner
10/25/2007, 02:03 AM
He was the Lightning to Brandon Moore's Thunder...remember that one. And he did play a hell of a game on TX, but if you ask me he'll be more remembered for the other TX game we lost when he was stopped by Stoney Clark on the half yard line. Pain. Demond Parker=amazing and Justin Fuente was to be the key to the beginning of our return to prominence...All of the band wagon fans and kids who were fans of Miami and every other school but OU...ah the sad memories...

BoonesFarmSooner
10/25/2007, 07:50 AM
Jerald Moore from Yates high school in Houston... Brandon Moore = OLB

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2007, 07:54 AM
Roger Moore is a former James Bond.

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 08:13 AM
He had a world of potential...
as an accountant.

NormanPride
10/25/2007, 08:38 AM
I can't remember, are these classy Nebraska fans the same classy Nebraska fans that threw folding chairs at the Pride back in the 70's?

douxpaysan
10/25/2007, 10:17 AM
I wonder what Eric Moore is doing these days. Would be interesting to know If OUr players of that time could relate to present day Nebbers. I was frustrated and unhappy with the "dark days" but my student days were past. It is much easier to be un-nOOB-like when you are winning every saturday. I suppose that is how Nebbish fans become the "classiest".:rolleyes:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/25/2007, 10:25 AM
Roger Moore is a former James Bond.

Dennis Moore robbed the rich of all their Lupins.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/25/2007, 12:42 PM
Some of you need to get off your high horse.

Remember yelling those things at players during the dark years?

Hell, I admit to it.

I don't see what the big freakin' deal is!

I've been yellin' at players for years that they suck, have no heart, how can they get up in the morning and look at themselves in the mirror; and, that an inbred "get-r-done" overalls-wearing moron is only slightly more intelligent than them, and that they're a bunch of bobble-headed juice-pumping women-beating classless thugs with a liar coach that with everything even couldn't stand toe-to-toe with a real team.

So it's about time the Nebraska fans themselves got on board with me. :D

85sooners
10/25/2007, 01:04 PM
lol

Widescreen
10/25/2007, 01:38 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I've screamed YOU SUCK at Nebraska players for years. :confused:

william_brasky
10/25/2007, 01:42 PM
all I know is that in the 90's, when I was attending campus, I saw numerous players smoking the reefer at parties.

mdklatt
10/25/2007, 02:08 PM

I don't remember any animosity directed towards the players, just the coaches. Gibbs had a rough time, but *************** wasn't around long enough to get harassed, and I think people felt more sorry for Blake than anything else. Besides, there was a lot of Kool-Aid drinking going on by that point, with "Sooner Magic!" being invoked after miraculous victories over the likes of Iowa State and Baylor. We're on the upswing! Look out Big 12! :O

I'll never forget Boren making a joke about the football team in a public speech soon after he got here, though. :mad:

badger
10/25/2007, 03:49 PM
Halloween costume idea:
-Nebraska foam hat or corn head
-Nebraska t-shirt
-Nebraska foam finger
-Nebraska spirit beads
-Makeshift sign that says "MY TEAM SUCKS!"
-Little doll wearing Nebraska jersey and helmet that you berate everywhere you go.

Wrong thread? ;)

MikeInNorman
10/25/2007, 04:38 PM
I think Eric Moore may have set an NCAA record for pick sixes that one year....

Big Red Ron
10/25/2007, 11:47 PM
I think Eric Moore may have set an NCAA record for pick sixes that one year....Heck, I'd probably bet on it.:D

Man, that crap sucked.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/26/2007, 09:52 AM
Demond Parker=amazing and Justin Fuente was to be the key to the beginning of our return to prominence...

Justin Fuente was what?

Do you have the right Justin Fuente?

You are talking football, right?

Sooners?

Widescreen
10/26/2007, 10:14 AM
I think Fuente could've been good. He had some skills but didn't have good coaching and was constantly worried about getting yanked from the game.