PDA

View Full Version : Who are Our Best Candidates for Postseason Honors?

stoopified
10/24/2007, 03:25 PM
Malcolm Kelly should get All-Americanand All Big 12 consideration but proably won't because his stats aren't as big as others(notably in conference Crabtree and Bowman who routinely drop passes but have more catches),Auston English who is a force at DE should be at least First team All Big 12.Curtis Lofton is playing at All-American,Butkus candidate level and IMHO could be Big 12 Defensive POY.Sam Bradford should at least be Frosh All-American and IF we win the Big 12 ,he would be a major reason why and should get All Big 12 honors as FIRSRT TEAM QB in that scenario.Bradford should also be Offensive Frosh of the Year(OK I am biased but if Crabtree wasn't at TT,nobody would have ever heard of him).I also think DJ Wolfe should be All-Big 12.

I'm sure at least a couple of the O-linemen should be All-Big 12 but I am not a line expert so I wouldn't know who to pick.I think Our backs are as good as anyone'sbut with a three way splitin carries I don't see that happening.Greasham at TE should he stop dropping and deflecting passes has All-Big 12 potential as does Iglesias under the same conditions(he does have better numbers than Kelly).That is all I can come up with.

cvsooner
10/24/2007, 03:33 PM
English, Lofton, definitely. Bradford maybe...though Harrell and Daniel will have whopping numbers. Nic Harris. Kelly is a great receiver but a lousy blocker. I love the guy but he's not a great all-round player.

Maybe Duke Robinson, on the line. Maybe.

JohnnyMack
10/24/2007, 03:35 PM
#40 isn't on the Butkus semifinalist list I don't believe.

birddog
10/24/2007, 03:38 PM
#40 isn't on the Butkus semifinalist list I don't believe.

you believe correctly. he's 4th in the country in tackles. he should be there.

Spanish Sooner
10/24/2007, 03:39 PM
Bradford could be big 12 offensive newcomer of the year, but that will probably go to Crabtree

Paperclip
10/24/2007, 04:03 PM
Bradford is on the Maxwell list. English is on the Hendricks. Nic Harris is up for the Lott. Cohen is on the Ray Guy list. Duke is a Lombardi semifinalist.

INGRAM1
10/24/2007, 04:08 PM
I think Mr. Kelly is a good blocker.

English, Lofton, definitely. Bradford maybe...though Harrell and Daniel will have whopping numbers. Nic Harris. Kelly is a great receiver but a lousy blocker. I love the guy but he's not a great all-round player.

Maybe Duke Robinson, on the line. Maybe.

Desert Sapper
10/24/2007, 04:34 PM
#40 not being on the Butkus semifinalist list is a travesty. The only guys that deserve mention over Lofton for THIS SEASON are Dizon, Crable (TFL), and maybe Erin Henderson from Maryland.

Curtis was not on the watch list to start the season. He is also hurt by his lack of TFL. His 93 TT so far should have been enough, together with the difference he has really made this year (FF, INT, FR for TD). Maybe somebody else will take notice and recognize him, if Dick is too busy recognizing the Big 11 (5 of the 10 finalists are from that league). Yer colors are showing, bubba. Hopefully CL will stay healthy and win it next year. He can't possibly not be on the watch list next year.

Collier11
10/24/2007, 04:41 PM
When I say All Conf or AA I am talking about 1snt, 2nd, or 3rd team

Lofton- AA and All-conf
English-All Conf, possible AA
Duke-AConf AND AA
PHIL-AConf
Cooper-AConf
Walker-AConf
MK-All Conf-should be AA
Iglesias-possible Aconf
Sam-All conf and Frosh AA
Reggie-Aconf, possible AA by rep
DJ-Aconf
Granger-Aconf

Scott D
10/24/2007, 04:42 PM
You don't really think ole Number 51 picks the finalists do you Sapper?

SoonerBOI
10/24/2007, 04:48 PM
English - AA and All Big XII

Civicus_Sooner
10/24/2007, 04:48 PM
I think Mr. Kelly is a good blocker.Remember when Chris Blocker played WR for Blake? That was pretty ironic, I thought, considering we were going, "Back to the bone."

Desert Sapper
10/25/2007, 01:00 PM
You don't really think ole Number 51 picks the finalists do you Sapper?

No, I have more respect for him than to think he would be such a league homer. But seriously, 5 of 10 finalists for this award in one league? And a league having less than a banner year? The committee needs to open their damn eyes. They also need to be capable of expanding (a la the Hendricks award) to standouts not initially included in the list. Maybe I'm just miffed that a guy that has really taken over games for us this year is not being included in conversations about his positional award. It's frustrating. :mad:

85sooners
10/25/2007, 01:08 PM
lofton is great!

Scott D
10/25/2007, 03:54 PM
No, I have more respect for him than to think he would be such a league homer. But seriously, 5 of 10 finalists for this award in one league? And a league having less than a banner year? The committee needs to open their damn eyes. They also need to be capable of expanding (a la the Hendricks award) to standouts not initially included in the list. Maybe I'm just miffed that a guy that has really taken over games for us this year is not being included in conversations about his positional award. It's frustrating. :mad:

Well at this stage it's just semi-finalists, not finalists.

The semifinalists for the 2007 Butkus Award, annually presented to the nation's best collegiate linebacker, were announced Thursday. (10/18)

The 10-player list consists of Dan Connor of Penn State, Shawn Crable of Michigan, Jordon Dizon of Colorado, Erin Henderson of Maryland, Ali Highsmith of LSU, James Laurinaitis of Ohio State, J Leman of Illinois, Ben Moffitt of South Florida, Keith Rivers of USC and Kentucky's Wesley Woodyard.

This list will be cut down to three finalists on November 9 and the winner will be announced in December.

Only 4 out of 10 are from the Big-10, and at least 3 of them are instant impact players (not saying that C. Lofton isn't), one of them was a finalist last year (Connor). What hurt Curtis mainly is that he wasn't on the Butkus Award "Watch List" from the preseason period. You can honestly equate it to who makes "All Big-12" and "All American" teams by looking at who is in those position spots in the pre-season selections, and the post-season selections. Not many of those names change either.

That being said, he keeps his numbers up and I'd pretty much guarantee he'll be on the pre-season list for 2008.

If it makes you feel better, out of the schools represented by the current semi-finalists there are a combined 10 Butkus Award Winners. Oklahoma has 4 all by our lonesome, and that's still the most for any school.

Civicus_Sooner
10/25/2007, 03:58 PM
I think Stoops, should we win another Big XII Championship, would be a great candidate for Coach of the year.

stoopified
10/25/2007, 04:16 PM
#40 isn't on the Butkus semifinalist list I don't believe.I know that BUT he is STILL AA and Butkus caliber.

I also realize that Daniel and Harrell have bigger numbers then Bradford but AA and POY should be about who is BEST,not who has the biggest numbers.Big numbers and best are often 2 different things.IF we win OUt THE ANSWER will be a big reason why and VERY deserving.Does the Butkus Award list add candidates during the year as other awards have?If so it will be a great INJUSTICE if Lofton is not on there.Personally I think that ALL Awards should be based on merit and not just inclusion on a preseason list.Lack of preseason hype is why Bradford is currently behind Daniel and Harrell in mymind,IT IS NOT lesser talent.

Desert Sapper
10/25/2007, 04:53 PM
Well at this stage it's just semi-finalists, not finalists.

Only 4 out of 10 are from the Big-10, and at least 3 of them are instant impact players (not saying that C. Lofton isn't), one of them was a finalist last year (Connor). What hurt Curtis mainly is that he wasn't on the Butkus Award "Watch List" from the preseason period. You can honestly equate it to who makes "All Big-12" and "All American" teams by looking at who is in those position spots in the pre-season selections, and the post-season selections. Not many of those names change either.

That being said, he keeps his numbers up and I'd pretty much guarantee he'll be on the pre-season list for 2008.

If it makes you feel better, out of the schools represented by the current semi-finalists there are a combined 10 Butkus Award Winners. Oklahoma has 4 all by our lonesome, and that's still the most for any school.

Nit-picker. ;)

But, you're right. Watchlist is the determining factor for a lot of these, which is why I was impressed with the Hendricks committee adding English. Wish the Mackey committee would wake up and throw Gresham in the mix.

Scott D
10/25/2007, 07:36 PM
Nit-picker. ;)

But, you're right. Watchlist is the determining factor for a lot of these, which is why I was impressed with the Hendricks committee adding English. Wish the Mackey committee would wake up and throw Gresham in the mix.

*shrug* Gresham has an uphill fight being a sophomore.

Looking at his numbers that Leman kid from Illinois is impressive, he had 152 tackles and 19 TFL with 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year on a very bad team.

This year he's pretty close to being on pace to match those numbers.

rubyspirit
10/25/2007, 07:43 PM
They're all worthy of awards...

Malcolm Kelly ...
http://i22.tinypic.com/23mkgw0.jpg

Sammy ...
http://i20.tinypic.com/oi8y7t.jpg

DeMarco ...
http://i23.tinypic.com/kaokuu.jpg

stoopified
10/26/2007, 03:54 PM
OMG I was sitting here thinking about the aTm game and realized that Nic Harris could be the key on D with the Ag option game .I themn realized I had overlooked him as a candidate for postseason honors.I feel bad as I think he can certainly be All-Big 12 or A-A.How could I have forgotten Nic?He ain't Roy but he is the CLOSEST thing we have had since Wiiliams left OU.Just like Superman,he hits like a train,BUT IMHO has better cover skills.Isn't he a Lott Candidate?

Desert Sapper
10/29/2007, 07:10 AM
*shrug* Gresham has an uphill fight being a sophomore.

Looking at his numbers that Leman kid from Illinois is impressive, he had 152 tackles and 19 TFL with 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year on a very bad team.

This year he's pretty close to being on pace to match those numbers.

Got it. I just think Mackey picked the wrong Sophomore for their watch list (Eldridge).

I'm pretty sure Leman didn't win the game for his team in the two biggest games his team has played (Lofton strip of Charles in RRS and FR for TD against Mizzou). Or anybody else for that matter. #40 has made the difference for us and I think he deserves recognition. Hell, he nearly had the INT that would have beat CU.

Scott D
10/29/2007, 11:44 AM
Got it. I just think Mackey picked the wrong Sophomore for their watch list (Eldridge).

I'm pretty sure Leman didn't win the game for his team in the two biggest games his team has played (Lofton strip of Charles in RRS and FR for TD against Mizzou). Or anybody else for that matter. #40 has made the difference for us and I think he deserves recognition. Hell, he nearly had the INT that would have beat CU.

No, but Leman had the numbers last season to merit him being on the watch list, whereas Lofton's numbers (mainly as a substitute for Latimer) were fairly pedestrian at best. He was pretty much the only guy in the list of semi-finalists that made me go "who?" when I saw his name up there.

Desert Sapper
10/29/2007, 02:01 PM
No, but Leman had the numbers last season to merit him being on the watch list, whereas Lofton's numbers (mainly as a substitute for Latimer) were fairly pedestrian at best. He was pretty much the only guy in the list of semi-finalists that made me go "who?" when I saw his name up there.

Watch lists are like pre-season polls. They need to disappear. If the Heisman Trophy, which is 'supposed to' be given to the best player in the country (pretty large and diverse group) doesn't need a 'watch list' why on earth would position awards? And why can't they amend this list to include people not on the list? It's bogus that Curtis isn't on the list. That's my point. I couldn't care less that he wasn't on a 'watch list'. He should be added to the list of semi-finalists. What happens if the same thing happens to him that happened to AD? If he doesn't win (or compete for) the award due to injury? It would be that much worse that he didn't have the opportunity to be considered this year. At least AD, by virtue of the Heisman not having a true 'watch list', had to be considered and finished second as a freshman. I put #40 against any linebacker on the list. His impact alone should have him considered, let alone his stats (which are astronomical).

Scott D
10/29/2007, 03:12 PM
Watch lists are like pre-season polls. They need to disappear. If the Heisman Trophy, which is 'supposed to' be given to the best player in the country (pretty large and diverse group) doesn't need a 'watch list' why on earth would position awards? And why can't they amend this list to include people not on the list? It's bogus that Curtis isn't on the list. That's my point. I couldn't care less that he wasn't on a 'watch list'. He should be added to the list of semi-finalists. What happens if the same thing happens to him that happened to AD? If he doesn't win (or compete for) the award due to injury? It would be that much worse that he didn't have the opportunity to be considered this year. At least AD, by virtue of the Heisman not having a true 'watch list', had to be considered and finished second as a freshman. I put #40 against any linebacker on the list. His impact alone should have him considered, let alone his stats (which are astronomical).

Heisman as much as any other award has a watch list. Bush went wire to wire with his. However, the Heisman is probably more likely to have the random variables making a strong push because it's debated about on a week to week basis. If the other awards were treated in the same manner, then Curtis would likely be a semi-finalist.

stoopified
10/29/2007, 05:48 PM
Watch lists are like pre-season polls. They need to disappear. If the Heisman Trophy, which is 'supposed to' be given to the best player in the country (pretty large and diverse group) doesn't need a 'watch list' why on earth would position awards? And why can't they amend this list to include people not on the list? It's bogus that Curtis isn't on the list. That's my point. I couldn't care less that he wasn't on a 'watch list'. He should be added to the list of semi-finalists. What happens if the same thing happens to him that happened to AD? If he doesn't win (or compete for) the award due to injury? It would be that much worse that he didn't have the opportunity to be considered this year. At least AD, by virtue of the Heisman not having a true 'watch list', had to be considered and finished second as a freshman. I put #40 against any linebacker on the list. His impact alone should have him considered, let alone his stats (which are astronomical).Could not agree more.

Scott D
10/29/2007, 06:48 PM
well one of you start posting stats. Since they are all linebackers it's easy. Games/Tackles/Tackles for Loss/Sacks/Forced Fumbles/Interceptions/Recovered Fumbles.

I don't dispute that his stats are up there among the best, problem is they're comparable to the entire list, and there can only be so many semi-finalists.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2007, 08:07 AM
well one of you start posting stats. Since they are all linebackers it's easy. Games/Tackles/Tackles for Loss/Sacks/Forced Fumbles/Interceptions/Recovered Fumbles.

I don't dispute that his stats are up there among the best, problem is they're comparable to the entire list, and there can only be so many semi-finalists.

You can post up everybody else's stats. As for Curtis, here ya go:

Games/Total Tackles/Tackles for Loss/Sacks/Forced Fumbles/Interceptions/Recovered Fumbles

8/93/3.5-10/0/1/1-45 (TD)/1-12 (TD)

I really think it is the intangible leadership that he brings to the team that makes him so damn great. He is a Dick Butkus kind of guy. Fiery, aggressive, and he makes things happen. I'm sticking with the FF on Charles in the RRS and the FR for a TD against Mizzou as the biggest defensive plays of the year in a year full of great defensive plays for us. It just hurts my head to think there are 4 guys in the Big 11 that are somehow better.

Scott D
10/30/2007, 12:24 PM
CL's stats are comparable to the rest of theirs, as I've said before. But once again, the rest of those players got significant playing time last year and garnered that type of attention.

The fact that he had 37 tackles as a sophomore, and a handful of tackles his freshman year is working against him. Your argument is more along the lines that every award should be publically reviewed and talked about on a weekly basis by the pundits as the Heisman award is. That's probably about the best way you'll see lists change from what they start the season as.