PDA

View Full Version : The hatchet or the shotgun?

badger
10/24/2007, 09:38 AM
Ok, the update on the Ruf/Nek situation is...

here. (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_297003256.html)

To paraphrase, our drunk version of the yell leaders (with shotguns and a covered wagon... and a hot chick) recently violated the student code and a decision will be made later today about what action the university will take.

To translate the PR jargon, the college boys didn't heed anything their 15-minute "alcohol education" session with a computer online was supposed to have taught them (yes, that is really all the alcohol education is), and that is my assumption, I have no insider knowledge on this situation.

Therefore, this is what President Boren is likely going to do, with advisement from former Ruf/Nek and current VP of Student Affairs Clarke Stroud:

1- MORE alcohol education (I think the mandatory stuff is more thorough) for each and every member (this is the action they take against frats and sororities that violate the policy)
2- An organizational fine (glad to know the shotgun money has come in handy, hehe, but seriously, this is also what happens to Greek orgs that get caught)
3- The threat of worse punishment should they get caught again.

My analysis: The only reason this is news is because of which group this is. So, they had a kegger party. So, their group signed an agreement saying they wouldn't host a kegger party. I say, if you expect groups that have hosted kegger parties for years and expect them to immediately stop because of university change in heart, you are sorely mistaken. Which brings us to the #4 thing that will happen to the Ruf/Neks:

4- They will be required to change the name "water keg" to something less alcohol-friendly.

Ehhhh. Discuss.

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 09:56 AM
Sooo, strike 1 for them? They've really gone downhill.

schlanker
10/24/2007, 09:58 AM
The Universities crackdown on the clubs and greek system for drinking is really ridiculous. College kids are going to drink. And the ones that drink to much and do stupid things and fail classes or whatever then have to leave the university. It is kind of Darwins way of getting rid of students that dont need to be in college yet.

Personally I think the University takes Fraternities, Sororities and other clubs for granted. If all of these spirit groups stopped participating in all the Universities events like homecoming they would be screwed.

badger
10/24/2007, 09:59 AM
Sooo, strike 1 for them? They've really gone downhill.
I agree. In the past, they'd have merited strike 20 by now :rolleyes:

Tulsa_Fireman
10/24/2007, 10:00 AM
FIRE FADADA!

Miko
10/24/2007, 10:00 AM
Does that mean any use of the term fire water is totally out?

badger
10/24/2007, 10:03 AM
Personally I think the University takes Fraternities, Sororities and other clubs for granted. If all of these spirit groups stopped participating in all the Universities events like homecoming they would be screwed.
Boren has the bargaining chip that these national fraternities and sororities need. In order to be associated with OU, they need to comply by the alcohol policy. In order to not lose their chapter charter, frats and sorors need to be associated with the university.

So therefore, all frats and sorors will sign the stupid policy (except the Triangle Fraternity, who stubbornly refused... up until this year. Way 2 go, nerd herd!) so they can continue being Tri-Delts, Kappa-Sigs, and so on.

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2007, 10:04 AM
What about Pain go Bye-Bye Juice?

badger
10/24/2007, 10:09 AM
What about Pain go Bye-Bye Juice?
In Oklahoma, the corn is as high as an elephant's eye... but it's not the only thing shooting clear up to the sky :D:D:D

:eek:

mxATVracer10
10/24/2007, 10:14 AM
Boren has the bargaining chip that these national fraternities and sororities need. In order to be associated with OU, they need to comply by the alcohol policy. In order to not lose their chapter charter, frats and sorors need to be associated with the university.

So therefore, all frats and sorors will sign the stupid policy (except the Triangle Fraternity, who stubbornly refused... up until this year. Way 2 go, nerd herd!) so they can continue being Tri-Delts, Kappa-Sigs, and so on.

Thats where this issue gets a little interesting since the Ruf/Neks are NOT technically associated with the University, right? :confused:

OUTrumpet
10/24/2007, 10:22 AM
Is President Boren going to put the Ruf/Neks on double secret probation?

http://www.newsfromme.com/images5/johnvernon.jpg

Landthief 1972
10/24/2007, 10:39 AM
The Universities crackdown on the clubs and greek system for drinking is really ridiculous. College kids are going to drink. And the ones that drink to much and do stupid things and fail classes or whatever then have to leave the university. It is kind of Darwins way of getting rid of students that dont need to be in college yet.

However, without this policy, parents of said idiots were free to sue the school for lots of money. With the policy, the school covers its ***. It's common sense, not facism.

snp
10/24/2007, 10:39 AM

Bargaining chip, more like foot on their throats with a shotgun in their mouth.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/24/2007, 11:11 AM
We calle dit Dolphin punch in my day...We had a concrete dolphin fountain pumping out the juice...Just hold your cup under the spout.

Desert Sapper
10/24/2007, 11:51 AM
Any pictures of drunken rufneks and 'hot chick'?

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2007, 12:02 PM

Not only that, but the national fraternities and sororities are behind these kinds of alcohol policies 100%. They don't like getting sued either.

Heh. Clarke Stroud. I remember when that dude WAS a Ruf/Nek.

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 12:03 PM
Any pictures of drunken rufneks and 'hot chick'?

Hot chick = Rufnek queen.

yermom
10/24/2007, 12:23 PM
i still haven't heard anything about alcohol

are we sure it wasn't someone smoking in Cecil's car?

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2007, 01:52 PM
Some not confirmed rumors over here...

http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25314

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I know the guy that posted as SoonerSchoonerDriver on that site. I don't really think he helped his organization very much.

BTW here (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_297151724.html) is a write-up on the situation from today.

All fraternities and sororities should take notice. Obviously, no one is invincible here.

badger
10/24/2007, 02:42 PM
And there you have it - alcohol AND hazing. However, bless Prez Boren's heart, he will not deprive these poor Ruf/Nek pledges the joy of firing the pop guns:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071024_1__NORMA22622

It looks like some alums will also get to drive the Schooner around a little. Hey fadada! Your current guys' loss is your gain! Go run over a ref for us, will ya? The ones this year have come OH so close :D

stoopified
10/24/2007, 02:49 PM
College kids drinking and doing stupid things?Whoever heard of such CRIMINAL behavior?

rufnek05
sad, sad day.

colleyvillesooner
College kids drinking and doing stupid things?Whoever heard of such CRIMINAL behavior?

here we go...

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 02:52 PM
Well, furnishing alcohol to a minor is still illegal.

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 02:58 PM
I'll say it now. Someone is going to get hurt when they let other people drive the schooner.

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2007, 02:59 PM
I'll say it now. Someone is going to get hurt when they let other people drive the schooner.

Someone on the other board saiud they might let the driver stay to teach someone else how to do it. I hope they do, that can;t be easy...

badger
10/24/2007, 03:00 PM
To make light of a negative outcome, if the Ruf/Nek alumni do a great job driving the Schooner and popping off (or whatever you guys call shooting your guns), perhaps you all will let alums participate at Homecoming, much like other spirit groups have? I mean, they have cheerleader alums come back, 70-year-old baton twirlers come back... how bad would it be to have a 50-year-old Ruf/Nek alum shoot some sulphur into the air?

While the university is doing the right thing by bringing down the hatchet on them for bad behavior, an extra paddle-to-the-butt of the current 'Neks for getting caught when we all know darn well that this stuff has been going on for years :rolleyes:

But yeah, kudos for not taking the opportunity to BOOM the guns (or whatever it's called) to the pledges, and further kudos for now giving the chance for alums to come back!

Here's hoping they make A&M a night game instead of an early bird special.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/24/2007, 03:53 PM
Banned!

Can't believe the U dropped the hammer on the current members. As far as "re-organizing" they have done that once. I guees ole Boren thnks second time around...

snp
10/24/2007, 04:05 PM
Ridiculous. Someone throw Boren a beer and remind him what college is like.

Boomer.....
10/24/2007, 04:21 PM
Weak. Sauce.

Look around Boren, it is happening all around you!

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 04:33 PM
how bad would it be to have a 50-year-old Ruf/Nek alum shoot some sulphur into the air?

First of all its illegal to carry a firearm on a campus unless certified. Every year we have to be certified by NPD. I'm all about having the alumni come back. I love hearing their "back when I was in the club" stories. It just kind of sucks how much they put int he press release, makes us look like a bunch of heartless beasts. But I know my opinion is biased.

But now that its going to be organized the the Athletic Department, its not going to be the same. No more crazy *** bastages down there. And I want to know what their going to do with the Cecil Car. As far as I'm concerned, its going to stay in my garage unless it's game days and I'm driving it.

Now I get to experience games in the student section. But I do get to tailgate now.

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 04:43 PM
Ridiculous. Someone throw Boren a beer and remind him what college is like.

The reason he did this is because he doesn't like himself or the University getting sued for such things as personal injury and wrongful death that hazing can cause and has caused at OU. He has all of those policies in place because someone died during a hazing and drinking party at a fraternity 3 years ago.

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 04:51 PM
I know someone died a few years ago. Thats why we don't force people to drink. Drinking was completely optional. I have several pledge brothers that still don't drink.

NormanPride
10/24/2007, 04:54 PM
Everyone loves the Animal House antics and the idea that student organizations should be mildly-moderated zoos, but the simple fact is that now the people who were abused in those situations have more ready access to legal recourse. Back when my dad went to OU, hazing was what you did. And if someone didn't like it, they left and didn't come back with lawyers. Organizations have to adjust and adapt, just like everyone else.

tanjou
10/24/2007, 05:11 PM
Boren is a bit daft with the drinking policies of late but I can't say I feel sorry for the Ruf/Neks. I can't stand them.

Norman Sooner
10/24/2007, 05:42 PM
As a NEK alumni, this is not surprising. We all knew this was coming years ago. When a group of us proposed to change pledgeship in order to try to prevent this from happening, noone wanted to do it. It is sad to hear what happened at OU-texass this year and is really pretty sick what was done. I have only "heard" what was done, so it could be totally wrong. However, it would not surprise me if it was done..Oh well, atleast the current members have more time for beer pong....

yermom
10/24/2007, 06:00 PM
way to leave us hanging there ;)

and why do people hate the RUF/NEKS again?

snp
10/24/2007, 06:11 PM
The reason he did this is because he doesn't like himself or the University getting sued for such things as personal injury and wrongful death that hazing can cause and has caused at OU. He has all of those policies in place because someone died during a hazing and drinking party at a fraternity 3 years ago.

I'm well aware of why he has put these policies in place - I was in the frat system during that time period. Fun fact, after Blake Hammondtree died, the Sigma Chis were booted out of their living quarters but moved over to Campus Lodge, where they continued to live like they were in a frat house.

But his other policies concerning alcohol are a joke. 3 strike rule, taking an alcohol awareness test, no alcohol in campus housing, banning alcohol in the outfield at baseball games, etc etc.

But I don't expect the majority of this message board to agree with me since they aren't fellow college students.

badger
10/24/2007, 06:18 PM
First of all its illegal to carry a firearm on a campus unless certified. Every year we have to be certified by NPD. I'm all about having the alumni come back. I love hearing their "back when I was in the club" stories. It just kind of sucks how much they put int he press release, makes us look like a bunch of heartless beasts. But I know my opinion is biased.

But now that its going to be organized the the Athletic Department, its not going to be the same. No more crazy *** bastages down there. And I want to know what their going to do with the Cecil Car. As far as I'm concerned, its going to stay in my garage unless it's game days and I'm driving it.

Now I get to experience games in the student section. But I do get to tailgate now.
You must be a current member.

You guys definitely had your high moments and your annoying ones.

Good times:
1- When your pledge looked up at Jack Delhomme after getting his teeth beat out. He was obviously in pain, but he wasn't blinking or looking one bit intimidated.
2- All the appearances at women's sports events before it was the cool thing to do. You guys even showed up when the Ruf/Nek Lil Sis group didn't to volleyball and basketball games. Now it seems everyone wants to, but there was definitely a time when it was a dull center with few fans.
3- Keeping the refs on their toes. The Schooner has really been edging closer and closer to the refs post-point after's. Anything to do with "plays under review," perhaps?
4- The "moment of silence" for any injured players, regardless of team.

BUT, you have to admit, there have been moments that make fans cringe, too, like...

1- The shotguns, all day. Bang them at the dorms early in the day, bang them during parades, pregames and sometimes at random moments. Seriously, couldn't you all start a tradition where you warn little children and old ladies to cover their ears? Like, "BOOMER in 5! 4! 3! 2! There's only ONE.... (BANG!)" or something like that. It could be a cool tradition that fans could really get into.

2- The hazing thing. I know you have to do some razing of the n00bs, but we all see you ordering around potential members at games in almost embarrassing ways. Some examples that I've seen are members tossing their guns at pledges while yelling orders to clean and reload them, or making them dance and sing in front of the student section. The dancing and singing is cute, but it's hazing if you're only making the n00bs do it, by definition.

3- The taunting of opposing teams. Yes, the student section does it, the alumni section does it and the entire stadium does it. However, a higher standard is expected when you're on the field instead of the stands.

The university control that the Ruf/Neks will be under won't be entirely detrimental. If anything, it might be a plus. If you're reporting directly to the athletic department, you might get some perks (better arrangements at games, more funding, etc.) and more support than you already get. I remember when they canceled the early enrollment on a lot of scholarship and other groups of students, the only group that it should have applied to, but didn't, were athletic department employees. The students said that it was short notice, so the athletic department said "we agree, we'll make sure you get early enrollment still" and they did. Connections like this aren't always a bad thing!

I'm sorry that they dropped the hatchet in the middle of the season. You were probably looking forward to some arm wrestling matches with the A&M Yell Leaders and such (and we would have loved pictures from such a thing!). But since you're under the athletic department now, why not arrange to be in the front row next to the Soonermen? What, you thought they got those seats just by arriving early?! Hell, no! They set up pom poms and stuff for the department and get to reserve seats before students are let in. Wear your colors, keep cheering, and show Sooner Nation that even if you're not paddling the turf and driving the Schooner, you're still the best d@mn fans OU has,* d@mmit!

*I of course would argue that the best fans are in the Pride, but that's exactly why you need to take the opportunity to prove me and others wrong, hehe ;)

soonerboomer93
10/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Not only that, but the national fraternities and sororities are behind these kinds of alcohol policies 100%. They don't like getting sued either.

Heh. Clarke Stroud. I remember when that dude WAS a Ruf/Nek.

Heh, I drank with him at Ruf/Nek keggers when he was one :D

tommieharris91
10/24/2007, 06:50 PM
I'm well aware of why he has put these policies in place - I was in the frat system during that time period. Fun fact, after Blake Hammondtree died, the Sigma Chis were booted out of their living quarters but moved over to Campus Lodge, where they continued to live like they were in a frat house.

But his other policies concerning alcohol are a joke. 3 strike rule, taking an alcohol awareness test, no alcohol in campus housing, banning alcohol in the outfield at baseball games, etc etc.

But I don't expect the majority of this message board to agree with me since they aren't fellow college students.

I understand, when the Sigma Chi pledge was found dead I remember walking by their house wondering why all the police and the coroner's office car was in front of their house. I know a Sigma Chi that was in the house. I've heard the DA's stories about what he found in that house that morning.

The policy that really gets me is that if you get an alcohol violation anywhere in the US, they can give you a strike. I also don't really understand the no booze on campus housing for those of age, either. I had to sit through some alcohol awareness programs, too.

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 06:51 PM
Badger, I am not active this semester. I will agree that some of our members take things too far, it sucks for sure. Most of the things we do are to instil Pride, Tradition, and Brotherhood in the pledges. Granted you have people that take it too far and are just asses. It sucks what happened, but it was going to happen some time. I'm glad that the alumni are getting involved. Some of the tradition needs to stay in there.
Yes, we are loud, crazy, and annoying, but that's how we got started. Back in 1914, at a varsity basketball game between Oklahoma A&M and Oklahoma, an elderly female spectator refered to a group of rowdy, varisty football players as a bunch of "roughnecks". A year later the group was formed with the spelling changed to RUF/NEKS.
Ever heard the story when OU played at Air Force? If you want to hear that story PM me, then you'll understand why PTB is nescisary.

soonerboomer93
10/24/2007, 06:54 PM
eh, it's crap to ban them in the middle of the season like that

I do know for a fact though that there's atleast 1 former driver and 1 former keeper of the guns in OKC who I went to school with (I saw Derek after the Mizzou game)

Actually there's several members in the area according to Derek

soonerboomer93
10/24/2007, 06:57 PM
Every single spirit group, frat, sorority has some ******* members in it who like to boss people around

auto
10/24/2007, 07:26 PM
However, without this policy, parents of said idiots were free to sue the school for lots of money. With the policy, the school covers its ***. It's common sense, not facism.

No what it is, as a society we have refused to accept responsibility for our own action. We now live in the United State of It's Not My Fault.:mad:

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 08:31 PM
"The University of Oklahoma has banned current members of the RUF/NEKS spirit group from official university events, according to a statement released today by OU. A university investigation found members of the RUF/NEKS this semester had abused alcohol and hazed pledges."

Does anyone care?

I'll miss them if they are perma-baned!

badger
10/24/2007, 08:34 PM
Ever heard the story when OU played at Air Force? If you want to hear that story PM me, then you'll understand why PTB is nescisary.
Is this the one about the Air Force fishies trying to steal the OU flag? I think we've all heard that one :D

In any event, I think that once again, Uncle Dave probably overreacted, but alas, he's still the president. In his honor, I dug up this source pic from his last overreaction :D:D:D
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7118/rufnekssf7.jpg
You'll be back and popping off again in no time :)

badger
10/24/2007, 08:35 PM
"The University of Oklahoma has banned current members of the RUF/NEKS spirit group from official university events, according to a statement released today by OU. A university investigation found members of the RUF/NEKS this semester had abused alcohol and hazed pledges."

Does anyone care?

I'll miss them if they are perma-baned!
Ehhh... come on, man. Searchie searchie ;)

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 08:44 PM
well obviously no one f'n cares

douxpaysan
10/24/2007, 08:52 PM
Course I care....first no more popguns what's next no fruit tossin'.....effing hillbillies

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2007, 08:53 PM
people did in the other thread about the Nek's

A Sooner in Texas
10/24/2007, 08:56 PM
Someone on the other board saiud they might let the driver stay to teach someone else how to do it. I hope they do, that can;t be easy...

One of the alums outta be able to pick it right back up, wouldn't he? I mean, surely it's as easy as falling off a...

oh, never mind.

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:00 PM
people did in the other thread about the Nek's

[hairGel] that's garbage

Ash
10/24/2007, 09:02 PM
Ehhh... come on, man. Searchie searchie ;)

LOL These DO come in handy, badger!

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5302/knight2copyib7.jpg

badger
10/24/2007, 09:05 PM
LOL These DO come in handy, badger!
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6397/pukevo9.jpg
OH! Wait a sec...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7321/knightpj2.jpg
:D

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:34 PM
3 f'n stars!!!!! this thread is NOT garbage! :eek:

rufnek05
10/24/2007, 09:36 PM
yeah the "RUF/NEKS" will still be around, but its not going to be the same club as the members know it. Its sad, it sucks, but I've had fun. I think I'll be ok being and "undergraduate Alumni"

badger
10/24/2007, 09:57 PM
3 f'n stars!!!!! this thread is NOT garbage! :eek:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5482/gundyfark2copyac8.jpg
;)

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 09:59 PM
what the H? Someone stole a star?:confused: NOW THAT'S F'N GARBAGE!

badger
10/24/2007, 10:00 PM
what the H? Someone stole a star?:confused: NOW THAT'S F'N GARBAGE!
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5448/shushqy5.jpg
I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that all night :cool:

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 10:04 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5448/shushqy5.jpg
I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that all night :cool:

QUEER

badger
10/24/2007, 10:06 PM
QUEER
awww, they merged our threads! it was fun while it lasted. have some merged thread spek :)

aurorasooner
10/24/2007, 11:54 PM
Dump the Ruf-Neks and bring in the Ruf-Chiks, like those gals from The Warriors. http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8938/screenshot033av5.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5463/screenshot029lp8.jpg

CatfishSooner
10/24/2007, 11:55 PM
Dump the Ruf-Neks and bring in the Ruf-Chiks, like those gals from The Warriors. http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8938/screenshot033av5.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5463/screenshot029lp8.jpg

:eek:

Fraggle145
10/25/2007, 01:27 AM
So I ran into some ruf/neks tonight at Bill's... Yes Bill's. Was reliving some old good times at bingo. They were the most obnoxious m/frs in the bar. Not to say I have never been that guy, or that I am always on my best behavior, but there is obnoxious and OBNOXIOUS. The whole bar was asking them to leave especially the one calling out the bartendress who was having her birthday and calling bingo. If you are calling out the staff chances are its time to go. He challenged me to a fight, very classy of him. Anyway, a few came up and apologized, which I appreciated and said he was always like that. I said arent you guys in some deep trouble and the guys said ya and they asked us not to say anything... I was like dont you think you should lay low until this **** blows over? especially in a bar so close to campus?

Soonerus
10/25/2007, 01:31 AM
Sounds like a very immature group...

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 01:56 AM
Course I care....first no more popguns what's next no fruit tossin'.....effing hillbillies

Playing "the eyes of texass" after every touchdown.

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2007, 01:59 AM
Only if the entire cowd sings along and pronounces it "texASS"

OklahomaTuba
10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
Maybe this would be a good chance to "re-invent" & improve on the RUF/NEKS a little.

They could really do more to help get the crowds going during games (as could the "cheerleaders" and the band formally known as The Pride).

I think in the long-run, its a good move to have them under the AD.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2007, 11:02 AM
So what happened at the Texas game? What kind of hazing. Hard to believe sleep deprivation is hazing, if so, some professors should be brought up for making students pull all nighters...

fadada1
10/25/2007, 11:34 AM
sorry if it's been posted already:

http://www.normantranscript.com/cnhi/thenormantranscript/homepage/local_story_297162651.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y

OU punishes RUF/NEKS for hazing, alcohol violations

Transcript Staff

Current members of the OU RUF/NEK spirit group have been banned from appearing at official university events as punishment for hazing, mistreatment of pledges and misuse of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with RUF/NEK events.

The disciplinary action was taken against the group for violations of the Student Code of Responsibilities and Conduct, OU announced Wednesday.

The university said its Office of Judicial Services conducted a thorough and comprehensive investigation after receiving information that the RUF/NEKS had allegedly engaged in misconduct related to the hazing, mistreatment of pledges, and misuse of alcoholic beverages throughout this semester in conjunction with RUF/NEK club events.

The investigation found evidence of the misuse of alcohol as well as evidence that pledges were subjected to a pervasive atmosphere of hazing, including sleep deprivation, physical exhaustion, demeaning actions, and the potential for physical harm. Such actions are a clear violation of Title 16 of the University of Oklahoma Student Code of Responsibilities and Conduct.

“The university has standards, and we are going to hold groups to those standards. We will not tolerate any group that doesn’t respect the safety, dignity and well-being of individual students,” said OU President David Boren.

As a result of the investigation, the current membership of the RUF/NEK group has been banned from participation in the group at official university events. Those individuals, however, serving as RUF/NEK pledges and former pledges this semester will be offered the opportunity to continue to be a part of the group through the end of the 2007 football season. Beginning this spring, the RUF/NEKS will be reorganized under the direction of the Athletics Department as an official spirit group.

President Boren has asked that a transitional plan be developed for his review and approval, ensuring the continuation of the RUF/NEK tradition while preventing situations that endanger students. The transitional plan will detail the application process for membership. It is anticipated that the process will be an annual review, much as other recognized spirit groups under the auspices of the Athletics Department. Members selected for the RUF/NEKS will be required to meet the grade point average and other standards expected of spirit squad members, including being a full-time undergraduate student in good standing without any type of academic or disciplinary probation.

Boren said, “The University is committed to ensuring the continuation of the RUF/NEK traditions that originated in 1915.” For the remainder of the football season, OU’s official mascot, the Sooner Schooner, will be driven with assistance from RUF/NEK alumni and the Bartlett Foundation, which currently owns and maintains the schooner, ensuring the traditions of the RUF/NEKS at football games will not be lost.

Those current and former RUF/NEK pledges interested in firing the RUF/NEK shotguns on the sidelines during football games will be provided with certified training from the University of Oklahoma Police Department, as has been done annually with all RUF/NEK members in the past.

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think that's been posted yet

fadada1
10/25/2007, 11:35 AM
i'm retarded.

sanantoniosooner
10/25/2007, 11:41 AM
That's been discussed repeatedly;)

colleyvillesooner
10/25/2007, 11:43 AM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6434/108803pv1.gif

mfosterftw
10/25/2007, 12:02 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/mactartan/Marc/boren_rufneks.jpg

85sooners
10/25/2007, 12:26 PM
:D

TopDawg
10/25/2007, 12:48 PM
Why isn't anybody asking the question that really needs to be addressed here:

How will this affect Crucifax's weekly fark?

yermom
10/25/2007, 12:54 PM
Maybe this would be a good chance to "re-invent" & improve on the RUF/NEKS a little.

They could really do more to help get the crowds going during games (as could the "cheerleaders" and the band formally known as The Pride).

I think in the long-run, its a good move to have them under the AD.

i'm really surprised they don't coordinate things more

fadada1
10/25/2007, 12:56 PM
as a NEK alumni, i have to say i'm disappointed, but not suprised. this kind of thing goes in cycles. the club was suspended before, and it surely will be suspended again.

i understand boren's point of view, in that he has some serious legal issues that could jeopardize his tenure and image - as well as the overall image of OU. i only hope that this was his motivation, instead of sticking it to a group of which he didn't understand the time/effort it takes to do something that is important to each individual.

does hazing go on??? obviously... it's no secret. what is done exactly??? it's none of your f-ing business - to be perfectly honest. for those of you that think the club is useless, or un-cool, or "gives the school a bad image", or is immature... i only ask you to look at the things you did when you were 19-20 years old. look at the things you put your "all" into because it was important to you. we were ALWAYS given the option of leaving during pledgeship. most of us stayed, some of us did not. i was NEVER forced alcohol as part of pledgeship - unlike many/most of the fraternities. so to you fools who throw stones, **** off!!!

do i like the fact that the club got supended? no. do i stand up for the traditions? absolutely.

TopDawg
10/25/2007, 12:58 PM
When fadada was an RA he made his residents drink a gallon of milk in 5 minutes.

fadada1
10/25/2007, 01:06 PM
When fadada was an RA he made his residents drink a gallon of milk in 5 minutes.
that's not hazing. it's bonding.

and it got me credit for a program.:D

Fraggle145
10/25/2007, 01:17 PM
Dude, I wasnt throwing stones... I just remember when my fraternity got in trouble we laid low. we were hit with the same hazing sort of stuff although it was in-house as opposed to IFC or the Borenator. It goes on and it isnt about other people I get all of that. It just surprised me that they were creating a disturbance the night the sanctions came down.

fadada1
10/25/2007, 01:32 PM
Dude, I wasnt throwing stones... I just remember when my fraternity got in trouble we laid low. we were hit with the same hazing sort of stuff although it was in-house as opposed to IFC or the Borenator. It goes on and it isnt about other people I get all of that. It just surprised me that they were creating a disturbance the night the sanctions came down.
apology accepted;) :D

if the guys were "creating a disturbance", then they're dumbasses. one of the problems/benefits with the NEKS is the lack of a "unifying body" to govern the club - unlike the IFC. so, when something goes wrong (as it always does), there is little, if any, support. "laying low" is part of the cycle. the club "laid low" for a while the last time we were suspended, but picked up again over the years. it gets bad, you get clobbered, it gets good, you get braver and braver, then it gets bad, then you get clobbered, etc...

yermom
10/25/2007, 02:49 PM
:(

handcrafted
10/25/2007, 03:27 PM
Hazing is stupid, pointless, dangerous, and junior-high. All hazing does is feed the insecurities of bullies and control-freaks who get off on this stuff. Grow the **** up.

Ditto with so-called "secret societies". The whole concept oughta be banned from the greeks right down to the "private" spirit squads. The ruf/neks and the schooner ought to be under the umbrella of the AD, just like any other mascot or spirit organization.

Many major universities including Ivy league schools and a lot of those in other parts of the country dismantled their greek systems years ago. You know what? The students managed just fine without them. It's a trend that should be continued, IMO. BTW I was in a frat for 3 out of my 4 years at OU(won't say which). And after the experience I've come to the foregoing conclusion.

tommieharris91
10/25/2007, 03:58 PM
Handcrafted, if you were in a fraternity (not "frat", or you would have learned that during pledgeship), you would have none of those opinions. I am in a fraternity at OU (not gonna say which one, either), and living with 50 close friends made me the person I am today. Without them, I likely would have dropped out of college. I definitely would not have had the same fun times if I had not joined my fraternity. BTW, my pledge class was the last one in my house to have any sort of hazing, and I didn't think it was that bad.

I really get the feeling you were not in a well-run, close-knit fraternity, if you really were in one at all. No fraternity guy would say such things about the greek system anywhere. Ohh, and I didn't neg you for thinking what you think. I negged you because I think you are lying about ever being in a fraternity.

Also, my fraternity currently has active chapters at Columbia, Cornell, Brown, and Penn.

fadada1
10/25/2007, 04:00 PM
Hazing is stupid, pointless, dangerous, and junior-high. All hazing does is feed the insecurities of bullies and control-freaks who get off on this stuff. Grow the **** up.

we have since we were 19 years old. what's your point? most of the guys would be considered anything but bullies. i wasn't a bully before, during, or after i was a member. did you consider yourself a bully after initiation?

Ditto with so-called "secret societies". The whole concept oughta be banned from the greeks right down to the "private" spirit squads. The ruf/neks and the schooner ought to be under the umbrella of the AD, just like any other mascot or spirit organization.

yeah. i'm sure the guy in the stanford tree outfit knows a lot of the history about his mascot and school. maybe the whole greek system should be under the athletic department because they go to football games and their pledges hold their seats 2 hours in advance. think that isn't hazing??? think again.

Many major universities including Ivy league schools and a lot of those in other parts of the country dismantled their greek systems years ago. You know what? The students managed just fine without them. It's a trend that should be continued, IMO. BTW I was in a frat for 3 out of my 4 years at OU(won't say which). And after the experience I've come to the foregoing conclusion.

nobody put a gun to your head to join. the decision was yours. if it was that bad, why didn't you quit? surely there was some sense of pride during your time there. then again, maybe not.

i'm a grown man now. but i wasn't at 19. i enjoyed my time in the club and even during pledgeship. i worked hard and learned more about myself than i did about the club and OU. i've taken some of those lessons into life as i've gotten older. we all have different views on this whole mess.

this isn't meant to sound like "fightin' words". i just see a lot of people on this site (and other areas) that hate a group they know nothing about. strange how it sounds a lot like life in general.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2007, 04:29 PM
I don't understand all the hatred for the R/Ns? People sure like their spirit at the games and the guns, they liked the fights on Commerce street, they probably giggle at something they did to an opponent. I thought the pledges were stupid wearing Limburger cheese around their necks and coming to the games bloody after shaving on Campus Corner after Hell Week, but I never hated them and certainly didn't want the hammer to come down on them.

For all the high am mightiness of people, I bet Spurs, the Milkmen, and other spirit organizations have their stories as well...

SeattleRUF/NEK
10/25/2007, 06:42 PM
So I ran into some ruf/neks tonight at Bill's... Yes Bill's. Was reliving some old good times at bingo. They were the most obnoxious m/frs in the bar. Not to say I have never been that guy, or that I am always on my best behavior, but there is obnoxious and OBNOXIOUS. The whole bar was asking them to leave especially the one calling out the bartendress who was having her birthday and calling bingo. If you are calling out the staff chances are its time to go. He challenged me to a fight, very classy of him. Anyway, a few came up and apologized, which I appreciated and said he was always like that. I said arent you guys in some deep trouble and the guys said ya and they asked us not to say anything... I was like dont you think you should lay low until this **** blows over? especially in a bar so close to campus?

There's nothing to blow over. We're all done. We were just blowing off some steam after one of the worst days of our lives so of course we got a little out of hand. We're not always like that and anyone who knows us well would attest.

soonerboomer93
10/25/2007, 08:01 PM
If the ruf/nek hazing was anything like it was in the early to mid 90's then really, I dealt with worth **** from the frat I pledged then the neks I knew went through. I don't know all the hazing that occured, but I was around them enough as several people I knew were members.

It's probably a good thing that they're brought into the Atheletic Department though. Hopefully they can get better support from the University, especially when it comes to travel. Certain traditions they have should be left alone though. I will be ****ed though, if they **** with the gun sponsorship/naming dealeo I won't be happy.

handcrafted
10/26/2007, 11:13 AM
Handcrafted, if you were in a fraternity (not "frat", or you would have learned that during pledgeship), you would have none of those opinions. I am in a fraternity at OU (not gonna say which one, either), and living with 50 close friends made me the person I am today. Without them, I likely would have dropped out of college. I definitely would not have had the same fun times if I had not joined my fraternity. BTW, my pledge class was the last one in my house to have any sort of hazing, and I didn't think it was that bad.

I really get the feeling you were not in a well-run, close-knit fraternity, if you really were in one at all. No fraternity guy would say such things about the greek system anywhere. Ohh, and I didn't neg you for thinking what you think. I negged you because I think you are lying about ever being in a fraternity.

Also, my fraternity currently has active chapters at Columbia, Cornell, Brown, and Penn.

yeah, that's it. I'm a liar.

:rolleyes:

badger
10/26/2007, 11:14 AM
this thread's turning south...

handcrafted
10/26/2007, 11:21 AM
i'm a grown man now. but i wasn't at 19. i enjoyed my time in the club and even during pledgeship. i worked hard and learned more about myself than i did about the club and OU. i've taken some of those lessons into life as i've gotten older. we all have different views on this whole mess.

this isn't meant to sound like "fightin' words". i just see a lot of people on this site (and other areas) that hate a group they know nothing about. strange how it sounds a lot like life in general.

I was in my fraternity (th91) for 3 years. Pledgeship was only a semester. I suppose it wasn't that bad but after I'd been a member, and even an officer (I was Vice-prez of the chapter my senior year), I wound up hating myself for the crap I engaged in at the expense of the pledges. I did it because I was hazed myself and I thought it was my right and prerogative to inflict the same punishment on others. It was stupid and selfish and just plain wrong. I'm lucky that nobody got hurt due to my actions.

The whole idea is immature, dangerous, and pointless. When a person becomes an adult they realize these things.

MI Sooner
10/26/2007, 11:29 AM
Ah, the Ruf Neks. I have a soft spot in my hard for those crazy bastards, and their keggers. It was because of a kegger the first week of my freshman year that I actually got a very attractive girl to give me a mouth hug. Poor girl hadn't been on campus long enough to know that she could do way better, and didn't have any friends sober enough to CB me.

Those were the days....

SoonerRecon
10/26/2007, 12:34 PM
Ah, the Ruf Neks. I have a soft spot in my hard for those crazy bastards, and their keggers. It was because of a kegger the first week of my freshman year that I actually got a very attractive girl to give me a mouth hug. Poor girl hadn't been on campus long enough to know that she could do way better, and didn't have any friends sober enough to CB me.

Those were the days....

ah yes, receiving the mouth hug as a freshman in college, GLORY DAYS!, they'll pass you by, GLORY DAYS!

finally this thread has changed for the better, from 'I was in a frat' to 'those crazy Ruf/Nek bastards'

rufnek05
10/26/2007, 12:42 PM

Those were the days....

oh I remember my first kegger. Mine was very similar, but instead of getting a mouth hug, I was calling up some dinosaurs.

Robby6pack
11/1/2007, 09:44 AM
<Start Rant>
Those crazy Rufneks have just put the f'n horsepigs in the drivers seat. I understand that alumni will be driving the schooner, but no guns! I have been pleased with the absence of the horsepigs on the sidelines this year, now we're screwed. The R/N's used to be this group of, well Rufneks! They drank, had fun and kicked a little ***. If little Billy's mad about a group like that not nurturing his every need, good. Quit! Stop your bitching and find something else on campus to do!
</Rant>

Seriously, are we now going to see more Horsepigs? It really sucks if we are.

signed,
Distraught in Norman

Desert Sapper
11/1/2007, 09:50 AM
Still no pictures. I'm disappointed.

RFH Shakes
11/1/2007, 10:36 AM
Maybe Boren and the Athletic Dept. can replace the shotguns with some "polite applause" cannons and we can all cheer on the other team when they come on to our field. Then at halftime we can pass out orange wedges to them so they don't feel unwelcome here. After all, there are no losers in real life. everyone gets a trophy. Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2007, 10:44 AM
3 words.

Eighty Thousand Kazoos.

Robby6pack
11/1/2007, 01:15 PM
Maybe Boren and the Athletic Dept. can replace the shotguns with some "polite applause" cannons and we can all cheer on the other team when they come on to our field. Then at halftime we can pass out orange wedges to them so they don't feel unwelcome here. After all, there are no losers in real life. everyone gets a trophy. Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but you may bring no outside food or drink in the stadium. You may however, bring an empty water bottle or orange peel and refill said peel in the stadium. Umbrellas and other items such as "polite applause cannons" that will block the view of others are strictly prohibited. You also should not bring any intention of having a good time.

Molly