PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT PUSH WITH EQUIPMENT

Viking Kitten
10/23/2007, 12:49 PM
Just some random questions here.

I know all the OKC folks have seen the Butler Brothers trucks hauling sand and gravel over the town for lo these many years now. My specific questions about these people are:

"Do Not Push With Equipment" What exactly does this mean? Is this a problem in the construction industry, trucks and cranes all pushing into each other all willy nilly? Construction peeps, please enlighten me.

"Stay Back 500 feet or Your Responsible!" Blissfull unawareness of the difference between possessives and contractions aside... If I am trying to legally pass a slow moving truck and a rock falls off and breaks my windshield, am I really responsible? Lawyers, please weigh in.

RE: All the little witty sayings and pictures they paint on the truck... say I am trying to read them because I find some guy talking smack on his wife amusing... so I inch up on the truck and THEN a rock falls off and breaks my windshield... am I responsible then?

Please help put my mind at ease!

sooner_born_1960
10/23/2007, 12:57 PM
I think they'd damage the gate if they pushed the truck with equipment. As for the rest, they are responsible.

Boomer.....
10/23/2007, 01:04 PM
They don't want front end loaders or dozers pushing on the dump trucks tailgates because it will damage them.

Turd_Ferguson
10/23/2007, 01:14 PM
From what I've heard, if it falls off of the truck and hit's your car, they are at fault. If the truck tire picks up something off the road and through's it at your car....you own it.

handcrafted
10/23/2007, 01:16 PM
That "stay back 200 feet" thing is a load of dingo's kidneys. DOT rules are clear that if a truck is dropping stuff on the road, they're in violation, not the people their garbage hits.

SoonerJack
10/23/2007, 01:18 PM
This one time i was following a truck hauling construction debris and the cover came off. Drywall and nail-laden studs began falling on my meager nissan pick up, barely dinging the hood and scratching the paint. I was glad nothing came crashing through the windshield.

proud gonzo
10/23/2007, 01:30 PM
"Stay Back 500 feet or Your Responsible!" Blissfull unawareness of the difference between possessives and contractions aside... If I am trying to legally pass a slow moving truck and a rock falls off and breaks my windshield, am I really responsible? Lawyers, please weigh in. and that would make a lot more sense to me if you could actually READ that message from 500 feet back.

handcrafted
10/23/2007, 01:37 PM
This one time i was following a truck hauling construction debris and the cover came off. Drywall and nail-laden studs began falling on my meager nissan pick up, barely dinging the hood and scratching the paint. I was glad nothing came crashing through the windshield.

If that stuff happens, make sure you get the number of the truck and call ODOT. They will take a complaint over the phone. Not sure if they can get your damage paid for you, but they can sure help you deal with the trucking company if you have to go after them yourself.

OU4LIFE
10/23/2007, 01:39 PM

I love stories with no point or anecdotes.

KUDOS!

crawfish
10/23/2007, 01:39 PM
My wife has that phrase painted on the back end of her delicates.

Okieflyer
10/23/2007, 01:40 PM
and I thought it was a call for abstinence. ;)

OU4LIFE
10/23/2007, 01:44 PM
My wife has that phrase painted on the back end of her delicates.

what, KUDOS?

that's weird.

crawfish
10/23/2007, 01:47 PM
what, KUDOS?

that's weird.

I'm not going to be getting a hole-in-one anytime soon. :(

Oldnslo
10/23/2007, 02:03 PM
VK, if something that is supposed to be tied down on their truck comes loose and hits your vehicle, they're on the hook. However, if a hunk of mud jars loose, or if the truck kicks up a rock, you're skarood.

Of course, most of the time, the license plate for these trucks is obscured by about 74 pounds of muck, so you wouldn't be able to identify the culprit anyway.

Several years ago, a gravel truck burped out about 6000 pellets in front of me at 70 mph. $1300 later, my car had a new front fascia! Cratered up my hitherto pristine M3 not unlike the surface of the moon.

Mixer!
10/23/2007, 02:05 PM
I'm not going to be getting a hole-in-one anytime soon. :(
http://www.roxcalibur.com/pix/e11461.jpg

KABOOKIE
10/23/2007, 03:16 PM
"Stay Back 500 foot or Your Responsable!!!"

Heh.

Hamhock
10/23/2007, 03:23 PM
However, if a hunk of mud jars loose, or ...., you're skarood.

you sure about that? i believe that if anything falls from the truck, including a hunk of mud, the truck is at fault.

I've had trucks ticketed for the mere presence of debris, even though none actually came off.

Sooner_Bob
10/23/2007, 03:37 PM

I know all the OKC folks have seen the Butler Brothers trucks hauling sand and gravel over the town for lo these many years now. My specific questions about these people are:

"Do Not Push With Equipment" What exactly does this mean? Is this a problem in the construction industry, trucks and cranes all pushing into each other all willy nilly? Construction peeps, please enlighten me.

"Stay Back 500 feet or Your Responsible!" Blissfull unawareness of the difference between possessives and contractions aside... If I am trying to legally pass a slow moving truck and a rock falls off and breaks my windshield, am I really responsible? Lawyers, please weigh in.

RE: All the little witty sayings and pictures they paint on the truck... say I am trying to read them because I find some guy talking smack on his wife amusing... so I inch up on the truck and THEN a rock falls off and breaks my windshield... am I responsible then?

Please help put my mind at ease!

Clearly VK needs a "how's my posting" bumper sticker for her signature.

Okla-homey
10/23/2007, 03:38 PM
If that disclaimer on the back of rock-flinging trucks works, maybe you people who are still doing the dating thing should invest in a t-shirt with these words:

"DISCLAIMER I am in no way responsible for the behavior of my date. He or she is an adult person over whose actions I have no control. By inviting us/allowing us to attend your party or event, you agree to indemnify and hold me harmless from any and all social, legal or other consequences resulting from any and all episodes or incidents involving my date, including (but not limited to): food or drink spillage; excessive hors d’oeuvre consumption; boring, awkward, inane or arrogant conversation; inappropriate or offensive statements or jokes; arguments; random exclamations (coherent or otherwise); flirting, leering, lechery, girlfriend/boyfriend stealing; air guitaring; loud singing (on or off key); hugging, pinching, goosing or other improper or unwanted touching; flashing, mooning, stripping or other nudity or sexual behavior; table dancing; TV channel switching; abrupt changes in musical selections; practical jokes; emotional meltdown; kleptomania; wrestling/catfighting; bad breath, belching, farting or vomiting; inaccurate urination; light switch raves; chandelier swinging or other random physical stunts; bathroom hogging; party game cheating; spontaneous body piercing; video gaming; use of your phone, computer or internet; copy machine abuse. I am thus hereby released from any social anxiety or embarassment whatsoever, and shall remain to you a personage of good standing and respect."

Jerk
10/23/2007, 03:41 PM

RE: All the little witty sayings and pictures they paint on the truck... say I am trying to read them because I find some guy talking smack on his wife amusing... so I inch up on the truck and THEN a rock falls off and breaks my

One of those Butler Bros trucks has a serious grammatical error on one of their witty sayings that even I noticed, and I'm far from an English major. I'm thinking, if you're going to pay someone to paint that cute slogan on your tail gate, you need to at least know the difference between 'their' and 'there.'

My favorite witty phrase would be "I wish my wife was this dirty!"

The one Butler Bros witty quote I can think of is "Those who are organized are to lazy to look for stuff" Yes, 'to,' not 'too.'

OUAndy1807
10/23/2007, 04:27 PM
I seriously don't use butler brothers if I can help it just because that "stay back 200'" phrase ****es me off. It has cost them business at least a couple of times.

OUAndy1807
10/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Also, I would love it if my job was just a bunch of equipment wars.

Hamhock
10/23/2007, 04:29 PM
yet another reason Tulsa>OKC.