PDA

View Full Version : If they send someone, it had better be Dog the Bounty Hunter!

SoonerStormchaser
10/23/2007, 10:14 AM
I am a wanted man ladies and gentlemen.

But first, let me tell you a story:

I got tagged by the Texass smokies in August '05 for "allegedly" doing 90 in a 70 (oh hell yes I was, it was open road and no traffic) on a country road just north of Sweetwater (I was dropping some stuff off at my younger brother's dorm as he was starting college at TSTC). Where I was pulled over at was actually in Fisher County, which is the payment and contact information the trooper gave me to pay the fine. I called and called and called for three weeks...they hadn't received the ticket. About two days before the deadline to pay came up, I called one last time. The ticket still hadn't been received by the Justice of the Peace...so they said they were ultimately going to dismiss the ticket for lack of timely filing. Sweet...I just escaped a semi-major fine!

Fast forward to May '06. I get a call from my dad saying that he's received a letter in the mail from the NOLAN County courthouse (in Sweetwater) stating that I have an unpaid speeding ticket and that I have thirty days to pay up before they come after me for failure to appear. I went back and checked the ticket. Sure enough, while I was pulled over in Fisher County and given their information, the officer wrote Nolan County as the county on the actual ticket. I called up the courthouse in Sweetwater and explained to them their error. No problem, they said, they're sending it to Robey (Fisher County) for them to take care of. I call up the JOP in Robey (same one who I taked to in '05)...they laughed and said they'd rip up the ticket when it got there and dismiss the case. I requested that in writing...never got it...but never heard a thing about it after that.

...until yesterday...

My mom called me at 5 last night and said I had a summons from the Fisher County JOP stating that I had a formal Failure to Appear notice on this gawdamn ticket. I left base and hauled *** up to San Marcos to get the letter. Sure enough, it was a failure to appear notice...complete with a sticky note from the JOP that said "you have until 11-19 to appear before me." I would've been laughing if I wasn't somehow worried that this could affect my Air Force career. Meanwhile, my wife is ready to drive down to Robey from Norman and knock some heads together because their filing systems are completely jacked.

I went to the JAG office on base this morning to see what I needed to do. The Major said to just call the JOP and tell them what was going on...and that the statute of limitations probably had expired about a year ago. I called the JOP...and find out that she's brand new and cleaning out old case files. Turns out the last moron up there didn't take care of it like she should've, so I became a wanted man. However, she apologized and said she was on her computer dismissing it right then and there. I told her I wanted a formal notice in writing...and if I didn't get it within two weeks, I'd be calling her and hounding her again.

God, I love our legal system!
Too bad though, this woulda been halfway amusing:
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/740/740333/miss-teacher-bangs-a-boy-20061019104719021.jpg

JohnnyMack
10/23/2007, 10:24 AM
Don't speed. You won't have to deal with **** like this.

Viking Kitten
10/23/2007, 10:33 AM
I've been pulled over for speeding many, many times. Sweet talked my way into warnings a couple times, gotten ticketed a couple times, gone to court and gotten it dismissed a couple times, paid the fine and moved on with my life a couple times. What I've never done is been "ready to knock someone else's heads together" because of my lead foot.