PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we try this?

Miko
10/23/2007, 08:35 AM
I was discussing the team with a co-worker and he had an idea that struck me as a good one.

Teams practice the spike to quickly run up to the line, get set, get the snap off and stop the clock.

Why don't we have a similar play after a potentially overturned call? If you snap the ball before a review, the preceding play can no longer be reviewed. And the Sooners seem to do as well in reviews as pregnant women do in the pole-vault.

So why not have a set play, a dive, a sneak, a spike, a kneel, any thing really, and practice racing to the line, setting up and getting the snap off?

A big catch on the sideline and Iggy may not have gotten that foot down? Run the play! May have been a fumble that they recovered but was ruled an incomplete? Run the play! Don't huddle up, walk up to the line, read the D, look to the bench, consider audibles. SNAP THE BALL!

I'd rather burn a down than risk losing possession or even field position to the great and powerful Oz in the replay booth. Heck I the way I figure it, even if it doesn't work it may cause the opposition to burn a TO. And if it really, really works, we take the debil in the booth out of the game and maybe even catch the D with their pants down. (assuming we would want that.)

What do y'all think? :pop:

XFollower
10/23/2007, 08:43 AM
That's a great idea, don't think we'll see Stoops do it, but it should work. Although, knowing the Sooners luck, the review booth would want to review the spike to make sure it was valid. Probably be ruled as a fumble or something stupid.

Miko
10/23/2007, 08:48 AM
Didn't think of that.

We race to the line, get the snap off, burn the down, first down oregon.

aero
10/23/2007, 08:54 AM
wow. Seems like instead of wasting practice time working on a play that would possibly be used, or not, once in a while, we'd be better off practicing holding on to the ball, catching passes, tackling, etc. You know, basic football stuff that you more than likely would use all the time, every game.

Miko
10/23/2007, 09:05 AM
So...no onside kicks in practice? No hail marys? No fake punts or kicks?

Your practices are boring. :D

aero
10/23/2007, 09:13 AM
Why don't we have a similar play after a potentially overturned call? If you snap the ball before a review, the preceding play can no longer be reviewed. And the Sooners seem to do as well in reviews as pregnant women do in the pole-vault.
What do y'all think? :pop:

Practicing a play based on a potentially overturned call? A surprise attack after an extended time out? :confused: I've never been impressed by teams hurrying up to get the next snap off just so they could avoid having a play reviewed. I'd rather play good enough and score enough and keep them from scoring so we can win without relying on getting a snap off so we don't get a play reviewed.

You asked what "y'all think", that's what I think.

Miko
10/23/2007, 09:22 AM
Fair enough.

And I certainly agree that I would prefer that our play be so exemplary that we never had to fear a review and that in fact, they never came up.

For that matter I wish we did not have a punter on the team because we never, ever punted. I know Bud managed it. Didn't even waste practice time on punts.

BermudaSooner
10/23/2007, 09:24 AM
In many cases the refs haven't signaled the ball ready for play--so many times this wouldn't work.

I've often yelled, "just snap it" a few times prior to us getting a call overturned, but in most cases there wasn't an option to snap it.

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2007, 10:04 AM
In many cases the refs haven't signaled the ball ready for play--so many times this wouldn't work.

I've often yelled, "just snap it" a few times prior to us getting a call overturned, but in most cases there wasn't an option to snap it.

Yep, there's your reason. On the hurry up and spike it to kill the clock play, everyone is in a hurry for you to get the play off.

In the scenario you are describing, the Ref that returns the ball to the center for hiking isn't gonna be running like a mad man like he does at the end of the game. Also, the Ref won't be blowing the play live the millisecond that ref sets the ball on the ground.

Aries
10/23/2007, 10:09 AM
I agree with BermudaSooner... in situations where a team is running out of time and trying to score, the refs will anticipate that and try to get the ball placed as quickly as they can.

If a team is trying to get a play off to head off a review, I doubt they'd be quite as inclined to hurry.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/23/2007, 10:10 AM
I agree with the reasoning, maybe not a spiked ball, but a quick running play.

mdklatt
10/23/2007, 10:32 AM
Didn't we have a play reviewed this season after we'd already run another play?

Dan Thompson
10/23/2007, 10:32 AM
I want OU to use all the trick plays. OU comes to the line to spike the ball, and Sam acts like he did it, but there was a direct snap, between Sam's legs to Brown, Patrick, Murray, etc. maybe to side that has the 4 TEs.

aero
10/23/2007, 11:59 AM
I'd like to see a few trick plays, also, but I've always thought the number of trick plays a team runs is proportionate to their ability. The less they are able to compete straight up with another team the more trick plays they will employ. The fake field goal will be hard to make work the rest of this year unless it is run to perfection after having been used and worked so many times this year. That little fake bobble Cody Hawkens did and the pass to, I think, the tight end against KU was a thing of beauty.

sooner518
10/23/2007, 12:20 PM
thats what i was yelling the stands during Iggy's overturned catch against CU. Unfortunately, there was no urgency among the ref to place the ball, and the team didnt seem to really understand it either. I think that is really something that the QB has to be aware of and I would like to see it. I honestly cant remember one replay that we've won this year, so in a situation like that, I say go for it

StoopTroup
10/23/2007, 12:24 PM
I think the Stoops is to much of a purest to pull such a play.

I bet he's for getting rid of replay now though.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/23/2007, 01:27 PM
It doesn't matter. In Boulder, the refs watch the replay on the big screen before setting the ball down to play before reviewing Iglesias's "incomplete pass".

jwlynn64
10/23/2007, 04:58 PM
Didn't we have a play reviewed this season after we'd already run another play?

I think that you might be thinking of the Dallas Cowboys game against Buffalo where they ruled TO made a catch and then they reviewed it after Dallas had spiked the ball.

picasso
10/23/2007, 05:02 PM
I've always been a fan of the quick kick on 2nd down. They never, ever see it coming.

CitySooner
10/23/2007, 05:33 PM
I'm sorry all you 'purest' out there, but the game is a changin', and when you have the replay mojo goin' against ya every dang time, then it's time to do something to change ya fortunes. Look at the Big Ten today; still the same as it was 20 years ago: BORING! Well my friends, that's where Stoops is from, and he is a 'pure' traditionalist. His 'Riverboat Bob' monicker was given because of Leach' and Mangino' play calling, not his. I see no problemo with doing whatever it takes within the rules of the game to get an advantage on your opponent. As the game changes the ones who are on top change with it. One of the greatest truths in life is, 'when it comes to love and football, nice guys always finish last." ;)

Stitch Face
10/23/2007, 05:36 PM

A direct snap?

KingDavid
10/23/2007, 05:41 PM
Too squirrelly for me.

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2007, 02:17 AM
Besides all the other arguments, it'd make us look like wussies.

Shneeg11
10/24/2007, 02:27 AM
may have already been stated, but Stoops said in his press conference that they do have plays they work on every week, but have not been able to use them yet....

I would think of a few instances where these would come in handy, but he did say we have them

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2007, 02:57 AM
I'm sorry all you 'purest' out there, but the game is a changin', and when you have the replay mojo goin' against ya every dang time, then it's time to do something to change ya fortunes. Look at the Big Ten today; still the same as it was 20 years ago: BORING! Well my friends, that's where Stoops is from, and he is a 'pure' traditionalist. His 'Riverboat Bob' monicker was given because of Leach' and Mangino' play calling, not his. I see no problemo with doing whatever it takes within the rules of the game to get an advantage on your opponent. As the game changes the ones who are on top change with it. One of the greatest truths in life is, 'when it comes to love and football, nice guys always finish last." ;)

Ah. So when we went for it on fourth down against Missouri in 2003 instead of kicking a go-ahead field goal, it was either Kansas' coach or Texas Tech's coach who made the play call.

Or when we faked the punt against 'Bama on our own side of the field in 2003. Mangino phoned that one in from Lawrence, I'm sure.

soonerboomer93
10/24/2007, 03:17 AM
frozpwnd

Miko
10/24/2007, 08:19 AM
Fine. It won't work. Let's do this then:

We dress someone like a referee and send them into the replay booth. When the official on the field calls up to the booth for a challenge, we tell them that there is a problem with the reactor core.

If all else fails, we blast the communication console.

Better?

:D

Scoregasm
10/24/2007, 08:32 AM
If we spiked the ball on every play, they wouldn't have time to review any of the previous plays, ever. Which means we could never get screwed by the officials again!

stoopified
10/24/2007, 03:00 PM
All you have to do to beat the replay is get the snap off BEFORE the replay booth signals they want to review a play.If you can get the snap off,why waste the play(and doen) by spiking it? G o for a bomb.The problem is since all plays are given a cursory review,you are unlikely to get a snap off after a questionable call BEFORE it is blown dead.

GottaHavePride
10/24/2007, 11:35 PM
frozpwnd

Frozone.

Heh.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2004/11/10/frozone3.jpg

Stoop Dawg
10/25/2007, 12:23 AM
Ah. So when we went for it on fourth down against Missouri in 2003 instead of kicking a go-ahead field goal, it was either Kansas' coach or Texas Tech's coach who made the play call.

Or when we faked the punt against 'Bama on our own side of the field in 2003. Mangino phoned that one in from Lawrence, I'm sure.

It's 2007 now.

Personally, I'd like to see some more ball-sy calls. Our team has ZERO two-minute offense.