PDA

View Full Version : Have we ever had a more unpredictable team ???

Soonerus
10/22/2007, 10:24 PM
...world beaters against Miami, very good at Texas and Missouri but then there's Colorado and regrettably Iowa State...I am the eternal optimist but I find this year unpredictable, we could win the MNC or fade into mediocrity and I do not know what it will be...

mdklatt
10/22/2007, 10:26 PM
See: the Blake years

Soonerus
10/22/2007, 10:28 PM
See: the Blake years

Hello, I was at most of those games and sadly they were very predictable...

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2007, 10:32 PM
...world beaters against Miami, very good at Texas and Missouri but then there's Colorado and regrettably Iowa State...I am the eternal optimist but I find this year unpredictable, we could win the MNC or fade into mediocrity and I do not know what it will be...

I have seen this episode before...its the one where Spock has a Goatee and in an alternate universe.

Someone help Rus get back to his old self. :pop:

Soonerus
10/22/2007, 10:34 PM
I have seen this episode before...its the one where Spock has a Goatee and in an alternate universe.

Someone help Rus get back to his old self. :pop:

Just stating the unavoidable, objective facts at this point in the season...

BornandBred
10/22/2007, 11:02 PM
I think the most obvious explanation is the youth on the team. We have something like 14 SRs on the two deep, and that youth can show itself in bad places like lack of good decision making, lack of focus, and getting down during an emotional away game. Bradford is a great example. He is a brilliant player 97% of the time, then he makes a silly freshman mistake. It happens. We have lots of room to improve and the outlook is sunny. We will find ourselves eventually with a little more experience.

Suerreal
10/22/2007, 11:30 PM
I was in the stands in '75 when the Sooner team that coined the "half a hundred by halftime" phrase got their butts kicked by the Jayhawks for Homecoming. And, no, the '75 Jayhawks were nothing like this year's Jayhawks.

I think a team learns more from the ISU/Colorado type games than from the USU or even Texas type games. And down the road, that knowledge may make the difference.

TrophyCollector
10/22/2007, 11:59 PM
99 coming off back-to-back losses to ND and texass and then proceed to beat #10 ATM 51-6 using almost nothing but hook & laterals, ninjee and fake punts.

That was fairly unpredictable.

batonrougesooner
10/23/2007, 12:14 AM

Doged
10/23/2007, 12:43 AM
Hello, I was at most of those games and sadly they were very predictable...

The only thing predictable about them was the final outcome and that the roster would look absolutely nothing like it did the week before.

olevetonahill
10/23/2007, 01:18 AM
I think the most obvious explanation is the youth on the team. We have something like 14 SRs on the two deep, and that youth can show itself in bad places like lack of good decision making, lack of focus, and getting down during an emotional away game. Bradford is a great example. He is a brilliant player 97% of the time, then he makes a silly freshman mistake. It happens. We have lots of room to improve and the outlook is sunny. We will find ourselves eventually with a little more experience.
Please tell me . Just what MISTAKES did Sam make ? when ? where ?
that cost us a game ? :confused:

Leroy Lizard
10/23/2007, 01:30 AM
The Jayhawks in 75 were a top-20 team, although I agree they were not as good as this year's, but not that far off.

soonersn2007
10/23/2007, 07:07 AM
Rus falling off the kool-aid bandwagon, say it ain't so!!

A valid point is made here, is this inconsistency due to the lack of maturity and focus of the players or do you look at the coaches for not preparing the team mentally for these road games?

zeke
10/23/2007, 07:26 AM
IMHO, we prepare and play to the level, or percieved level of our compitition. Its happened in other years too.

So I predict that we will continue to struggle with teams we should blow out and still end up with a WIN.

We will play better and WIN games that the experts and media say should be close.

XFollower
10/23/2007, 08:47 AM
I think we need some leaders on the team to step up and add some fire to the team. I just haven't seen much passion this year with the players or coaches. The "knock someone's head off" mentality just doesn't seem to be there. The talent is there, let's light a fire and get these guys fired up!

BOOMER SOONER

HTown77095
10/23/2007, 09:16 AM
Sam did ok. The wind was most definitely a factor. That 1 INT was NOT his fault. Just need to hang on to the ball and we'll be ok. I don't see why everyone is getting all uptight.

Oldnslo
10/23/2007, 09:31 AM
Playing to the level of the competition isn't a sign of youth. It's a sign of deficient coaching.

Bob has spoken about how happy he is that this team is robotic in its preparation for games. Now, I realize that you can't get up for every game, that it's just too emotionally exhausting. But after getting spanked by CO, one would think that motivation would not be lacking when we're in the visitor's locker room.

LittleWingSooner
10/23/2007, 09:34 AM
2003 was unpredictable the last 2 games. They came from being one of the best teams ever to being average.

tomtom
10/23/2007, 09:35 AM
yes; see 2006

LittleWingSooner
10/23/2007, 09:57 AM
2005 was pretty unpredictable. You never knew if Bomar was gonna take a snap without fumbling or not.

aero
10/23/2007, 10:16 AM
This year reminds me a bit of last year. Seems we are scrapping alot for wins but showing fight and still winning. I wouldn't necessarily say things are too unpredictable. A lot of teams start out with lesser opponents, rack up wins and stats, and then settle in to a tougher part of the schedule where wins are not as easy. Look at the top 10 and just about everybody falls into that category. LSU looked like world beaters but their last few games have certainly been different than the first of the year. ISU was not what we were expecting but look at other teams who've gotten bit. I think the wind played a role in that game. There was a few plays, near completions, that certainly could have made that game a more comfortable win for us. But didn't fold and came away with the W, which in the end is what counts.