PDA

View Full Version : Need To Schedule Stronger "Weak Sisters"

jdsooner
10/22/2007, 01:13 PM
Playing Utah State and North Texas was a bad idea. Those teams are a combined 1-13 and rated 119th and 115th by Rivals and 119th and 113th by CBS Sportsline. We have to do better for the BCS. Perhaps a match-up with Florida Atlantic?? We could welcome Howard back to Norman!

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=729491
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/120/index2

RacerX
10/22/2007, 01:17 PM
Losing to Colorado was a bad idea.

SoonerMom2
10/22/2007, 01:21 PM
Excuse me but Ohio State played THREE Mid-American Ohio teams and beat them all. I was shocked to find out if you play a 1-AA team, it doesn't count against you with computers because there are no rankings to compare in 1-AA and now playing them can count every year for a bowl bid. Yet if you schedule a team that has been good in the past that is a mid major and they are not good this year, it hurts you. Makes no sense but then it is the NCAA.

So why don't the elite teams schedule 1-AA opponents and see how fast the NCAA changes their rules.

royalfan5
10/22/2007, 01:22 PM
Excuse me but Ohio State played THREE Mid-American Ohio teams and beat them all. I was shocked to find out if you play a 1-AA team, it doesn't count against you with computers because there are no rankings to compare in 1-AA and now playing them can count every year for a bowl bid. Yet if you schedule a team that has been good in the past that is a mid major and they are not good this year, it hurts you. Makes no sense but then it is the NCAA.

So why don't the elite teams schedule 1-AA opponents and see how fast the NCAA changes their rules.
Michigan tried that approach. It didn't work out so well.

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2007, 01:25 PM
how does Joe C really know four to five years in advance just how weak or strong these 'weak sisters' are really going to be?

too many variables to predict

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:29 PM
North Texas is not a world beater, but they are typically a pretty decent team...They are usually better than the likes of Baylor...Utah State is an aborition and should not even have a football team...Miami could be ranked in the Top 5 some years, but you never know from year to year...

So Joe C and the U of O scheduled a pretty decent non-Conference schedule minus the Utah State, but they are probably better year in and year out than lets say...Idaho?

Widescreen
10/22/2007, 01:30 PM
You just never know. When the Miami game was scheduled, that was supposed to be a challenging game. 2007 rolls around and they suck. The only way to prevent this is to schedule all big-name teams and hope that one or 2 of them don't stink 5 or 7 years later when we play.

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:39 PM
One more thing...If you dont think OU schedules a strong OOC, just check OUt the following link...

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

tbl
10/22/2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure how this fact is continually overlooked in the 741 threads pondering where we should be, BCS, SOS, etc.

Beat Colorado, we're the undisputed #1. Plain and simple. Lose to Colorado and the floodgates are open. It happened, so why ponder the rest of the stuff? We could have scheduled Kansas' non-conf schedule and been #1, were we undefeated right now... but we're not.

I'm not saying the BCS is a good system. Obviously a playoff would help (at least a 1 plus), but still... you have to beat your opponents, ESPECIALLY those that you were a lock to win.

colleyvillesooner
10/22/2007, 01:41 PM
One more thing...If you dont think OU schedules a strong OOC, just check OUt the following link...

Yep, next year we have Cinncinnati, Washington TCU and a TBA.

We lose any one of those and people here will be bitching that we schedule too hard non conference teams.

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:43 PM
I wonder how good TBA is going to be this year...

Widescreen
10/22/2007, 02:19 PM
I wonder how good TBA is going to be this year...
They own Bye.

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 02:22 PM

<giggles>

Curly Bill
10/22/2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure how this fact is continually overlooked in the 741 threads pondering where we should be, BCS, SOS, etc.

Beat Colorado, we're the undisputed #1. Plain and simple. Lose to Colorado and the floodgates are open. It happened, so why ponder the rest of the stuff? We could have scheduled Kansas' non-conf schedule and been #1, were we undefeated right now... but we're not.

I'm not saying the BCS is a good system. Obviously a playoff would help (at least a 1 plus), but still... you have to beat your opponents, ESPECIALLY those that you were a lock to win.

You so speak the truth here. Had we not lost to Colorado we would be in the driver's seat. Looking at it like that if we don't feel we are getting what we deserve at the end of the year we can look back at the CU loss and have no one to blame but OUrselves.

yermom
10/22/2007, 02:39 PM
maybe we should schedule Rice, Arkansas State and UTEP more often

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 02:59 PM
maybe we should schedule Rice, Arkansas State and UTEP more often

It wasn't our OOC schedule that hurt us...Quite the contrary in fact...OU handled that part of the schedule very well...

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 03:07 PM

Beat Colorado, we're the undisputed #1. Plain and simple. Lose to Colorado and the floodgates are open. It happened, so why ponder the rest of the stuff?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are wondering why people are discussing the possibility of a 1-loss OU team playing for a National Championship.

Are you advocating that OU "remove it's hat from the ring" because we lost one game? Perhaps you haven't noticed, but there aren't very many undefeated teams left, so why NOT ponder the possibilities?

boomersooner28
10/22/2007, 03:11 PM
Miamuh is still screwing us. When we scheduled them, they were supposed to be our OOC big time game. And they suck. If they were a top 10 like they should be, we wouldn't be having this discusiion.

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 03:12 PM
We shouldn't lose at Colorado and only beat a 1 - 6 Iowa State team by 10 points. If that hadn't happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Fixed.

boomersooner28
10/22/2007, 03:29 PM
True dat also. There is SOOOOOOOO much football to be played. I am tired of discussing all of the BS. I just need to stay clear of this place for a few weeks. :)

oudivesherpa
10/22/2007, 03:37 PM
Every team needs one "cream puff" on their schedule, but not two. The way to have a stronger looking schedule it to have inter conference games with the Big Ten. Even Iowa State beat Iowa. But all of the sports writers still think the Big Ten is as strong as it was in the 50's & 60's.

sooner59
10/22/2007, 03:57 PM
The way I see it is if you lose a game, its hard to argue that you should be in the NC game. Auburn in '04 had a pretty decent argument. But If we dont lose to Colorado, we possibly finish 12-0 going into the Big XII champ. game with a #1 attached to us. Now I can see how a one-loss team should be in it over an undefeated Hawaii or something, but when it comes down to the tOSUs, USCs, OUs, WVUs, and even Oregons of this year, it will all come down to the opinions of pollsters and computers. "Hopefully" we win out and beat a top 10 team in Kansas or Missouri in the conf. champ. game this year and have some things happen to help us get in the NC game. Regardless of what happens this year, we are going to have most of our team back next year and they should all have learned a valuable lesson: "Play every game like it is your last!" With all we have coming back next year, there should be no reason we should not win every game. Even if 3 or 4 teams finished unbeaten with us, we should make it in based on our SOS next year. But as for this year...keep winning and hope the gods of college football bless us with many more upsets (except us).

sooner-n-ga
10/22/2007, 10:30 PM
With the way our boys have played on the road this season, I'm afraid that we might slip up again and end this NC debate. I hope not, but we have been far from impressive on the road.

SoonerKnight
10/23/2007, 05:23 AM
You so speak the truth here. Had we not lost to Colorado we would be in the driver's seat. Looking at it like that if we don't feel we are getting what we deserve at the end of the year we can look back at the CU loss and have no one to blame but OUrselves.

You should have caught those passes! :D

pott_2
10/23/2007, 05:32 AM

At least our weak opponents are division 1A, bowl division, or whatever the hell they call it these days.

Curly Bill
10/23/2007, 08:48 AM
You should have caught those passes! :D

I think I probably could have. I mean I got a few years on me so I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I still got some pretty sweet hands. :)

Soonermagik
10/23/2007, 09:14 AM
I would like us to schedule a home and home with USC, Notre Dame & Florida State. This would make it a lot more fun attending games instead of playing powder puffs like N. Texas.

yermom
10/23/2007, 09:26 AM
i doubt we could even make that schedule if we tried

unless you mean consecutive years, then we are working something fairly close to that

sooner-n-ga
10/23/2007, 11:20 AM
I would like us to schedule a home and home with USC, Notre Dame & Florida State. This would make it a lot more fun attending games instead of playing powder puffs like N. Texas.

North Texas could play with 2 out of the 3 you listed !

LittleWingSooner
10/23/2007, 11:22 AM
Next year we may play only 1 weak team. We already have an improving Washington and Cincinnati team on our schedule. And we'll also have TCU on our schedule. So that leaves probably one weak team 3 decent teams.

OklahomaSooners
10/23/2007, 11:28 AM

Well? will they be good when we play them 6,8,10 years from now?

85sooners
10/23/2007, 12:11 PM
Losing to Colorado was a bad idea.lol

Rusher
10/23/2007, 12:53 PM
We should play USC, LSU, WVU, Ohio State to start the season :D