PDA

View Full Version : IS Hawkins a thnking coach or an jerk?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 01:08 PM
I choose asshat. Who the hell fakes a fumble for a play in your scheme? Its One thing if it is a one time thing, it seem chicken**** to me if trickeration is part of your gameplan and playbook. Just my Opinion.

SoonerMom2
10/22/2007, 01:18 PM
I vote for Jerk! Have no respect for the man.

Also why were we flagged for pulling the Colorado player's hair when it has happened in other games and no flags. One guy said the hair is part of the uniform.

royalfan5
10/22/2007, 01:23 PM
I choose asshat. Who the hell fakes a fumble for a play in your scheme? Its One thing if it is a one time thing, it seem chicken**** to me if trickeration is part of your gameplan and playbook. Just my Opinion.
Tom Osborne did frequently until his play of choice was banned.

Landthief 1972
10/22/2007, 01:26 PM

Also why were we flagged for pulling the Colorado player's hair when it has happened in other games and no flags. One guy said the hair is part of the uniform.

I say if you're stupid enough to wear that crap hanging a foot below your helmet, it's fair game.

mdklatt
10/22/2007, 01:31 PM
How dare he try to win games by taking advantage of the rule book. What a jerk.

:rolleyes:

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2007, 01:34 PM
and Barry was known for calling the fumbleruskie a time or two as well.

Animal Mother
10/22/2007, 01:56 PM

Wait! Wait! Mr. Kotter! I know the answer to this one!
IT’S CALLED WINNING AND KEEPING YOUR JOB, GOMER!!
Sounds as if you’re still in contact with the spirit of the Smurf game last January.

Curly Bill
10/22/2007, 01:58 PM
Hawkins himself is sporting some nice hair.

Leroy Lizard
10/22/2007, 01:59 PM
Fumblerooskie has been banned. I wonder if the same reasoning applies to the fake fumble.

But if we ban the fake fumble, what about the pump fake? To me, the fake fumble was a great idea that will work one time.

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 02:27 PM
I thought that play was hilarious.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 02:30 PM
Wait! Wait! Mr. Kotter! I know the answer to this one!
IT’S CALLED WINNING AND KEEPING YOUR JOB, GOMER!!
Sounds as if you’re still in contact with the spirit of the Smurf game last January.

Hey gomer...If you read what I said, I have no problem if it is part of one time trickeration. but to consistently do it as PART of your regular game plan, then you are an asshat who can't coach...

So what if I hate the field of blue...

usmc-sooner
10/22/2007, 02:32 PM
Hey gomer...If you read what I said, I have no problem if it is part of one time trickeration. but to consistently do it as PART of your regular game plan, then you are an asshat who can't coach...

if he does it all the time it wouldn't be much of a trick. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 02:33 PM
I thought that play was hilarious.

It was, however, CO was moving the ball well without it. Just seemed an unnecessary call.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 02:35 PM

I wasn't aware the fumblerooskie was banned. By what reason did they ban it?

Now the fake punt play I saw, this year, where the guy hid behind the line and then ran was a great call.

OUTrumpet
10/22/2007, 02:38 PM

In the NCAA, it's pretty much the same as pulling someone down by the head. In the pro's, they say 'get a haircut'.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 02:40 PM
I was traveling for the CU game, didn't know we got penalized for pulling on hair. Hair if it extends beyond the helmet is part of the uniform and subject to being used as such. In my day, the coach would say "get a haircut!".

SoonerStormchaser
10/22/2007, 02:41 PM
In the NCAA, it's pretty much the same as pulling someone down by the head. In the pro's, they say 'get a haircut'.

Really?
Did anyone else bother then to watch the Oregon State/Cal game two weeks ago? They were pulling all those Samoans down by their hair all the time...no flags in sight.

Doged
10/22/2007, 02:52 PM
One man's azzhattery is another man's innovation. I like Hawkins working to find ways to win in spite of the relative talent deficit he faces in conf play.

The forward pass and the Oklahoma defense are just two examples of gadget plays that became mainstream. There are several others, many more recent than those two.

OU Adonis
10/22/2007, 02:59 PM
The fublerooski was banned because you are not allowed to "intentionally" fumble the ball and have a third party advance it.

Colorado never fumbled the ball, nor did it leave the players hands. So its just like a pump fake or bootleg play.

aurorasooner
10/22/2007, 03:23 PM
I thought that play was hilarious. Yeah, I liked that fake fumble/pass by Hawkins. Well thought out play, imo. I also liked that Auburn KO (lousy video quality). They're a couple of plays that are probably fun for the players to work on in practice and not just the same Ho-hum, yawners in a MOTS boring practice routine. Reminded me a lot of what our staff used to do in '99 and 2000. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVl3NH6Qp30

kevpks
10/22/2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't like the fake fair catch in the UConn game last week though. When guys in punt coverage come to a full stop to avoid a penalty, it is BS for the returner to take off running. I would be tempted to have my players drill that returner the next time he called a fair catch.

Animal Mother
10/22/2007, 04:37 PM

Well, Sparky, winning one game isn't keeping your job. Unless you're Gundy beating the Sooners. Hawkins doesn't exactly have talent equal to the depth of Crater Lake, so he runs some Disney plays. It's part of his modus operandi.
He beat us without doing it, correct? The King coffined the Huskers many times with razzle dazzle. Like Scott Hill said in the pre-game prayer against Nebbish in 1976 "please don't let the best team win". If we had key players out with injury, do you think Stoops would hesitate to do trick plays to win more than one game? Yeah. I didn't think so.

kevpks
10/22/2007, 04:40 PM
I don't think Hawkins is an asshat because of the fake fumble; it is definitely the hair.

Texas Golfer
10/22/2007, 05:10 PM

If your hair hangs below the helmet line, it should be fair game.

cvsooner
10/22/2007, 05:42 PM
Hawkins looks like a jerk and his teams play sandlot ball.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/22/2007, 07:25 PM
Fumblerooskie has been banned. I wonder if the same reasoning applies to the fake fumble.

But if we ban the fake fumble, what about the pump fake? To me, the fake fumble was a great idea that will work one time.It's smart and creative, and is fair game until baned.

Vaevictis
10/22/2007, 07:42 PM

If it consistently works, you'd be a fool not to use it.

MyT Oklahoma
10/22/2007, 07:53 PM
Is this a trick question because who the heck really cares? He coaches at Colorado for Christ's sake.