PDA

View Full Version : Is the B12 weak?

usmc-sooner
10/22/2007, 09:41 AM
We have 3 of the top 13 teams in the BCS.
4 in the top 20.

granted the SEC has 7 teams in the top 25.

kevpks
10/22/2007, 10:00 AM
I think the Big 12 has shaken off the "weak" label from early in the season. We are probably the second or third toughest conference right now. If USC beats Oregon and Cal we'll know that it is business as usual in the Pac 1.

Mac94
10/22/2007, 10:06 AM
Yes, it's still fairly weak. As a conference we were 5-6 against other BCS conference teams this past September with Iowa State also losing to the likes of Northern Iowa, Kent State, and Toledo while Oklahoma State lost to Troy. Of the five wins, two of them were by Missouri ... who is pretty good ... one was by Iowa State (over Iowa) ... of all teams ... another by Nebraska (over Wake Forest) who has fallen apart and is saddled with a bad loss to USC.

Right now, only Missouri's win over Illinois can be seen as a good quality win. Oklahoma's win over Miami, at this point, is second to that.

And, rmeember, the Big-12 was only 3-5 in bowls last season and the three wins were against teams that, with the bowl loss, finished 6-7 in 2006.

UberSooner
10/22/2007, 10:17 AM
I don't know how anybody can rank conferences in a year like this and maybe its a trend. The biggest differences between teams these days is depth and game day coaching. Used to be that coaching was handed down like an apprenticeship, now information is everywhere, if some OC or DC hits on something, its nationwide within a season. For the most part, it seems like more and more games come down to who makes the fewest mistakes and which coach is willing to take the bigger risks to win. I know there are still blowout games but those are usually more a result of cumulative mistakes rather than straight up overmatched teams getting hammered, although that still happens.

I think probably overall, SEC has the strongest coaching and talent, but we could beat any of em on a saturday afternoon. (As long as the start time is after noon.)

badger
10/22/2007, 10:18 AM
I don't know how anybody can rank conferences in a year like this and maybe its a trend.
that's what bowl games are for.

MextheBulldog
10/22/2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, B12 is weak this year, but looking better with KU continuing to win, and Mizzou is for real. The A&M loss to Miami sticks out like a sore thumb still. I would put us even with the ACC and Big East, with the Pac-10 and SEC at the top.

douxpaysan
10/22/2007, 11:10 AM
Define weak. If you make a comparison with other conferences there is not much difference. OOC games make a poor indicater of future success. Bowl games make only a slightly better picture in that they are played at the end of the year and the team you play has at least six wins. Texas, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma are all good teams that match-up well with eiether the SEC's or the PAC10's top four.

cheezyq
10/22/2007, 11:37 AM
The Big 12 has had 8 teams ranked at some point during the season. Not that NU ever deserved their ranking, but there have still been 8 ranked teams. The only ones not ranked during the year are OSU, ISU, CU, and BU. The Big 12 probably isn't the best conference, but it's definitely not weak. Looking at the state of college football this year, can you really say any conference is solid?

LosAngelesSooner
10/22/2007, 11:39 AM
I've actually been thinking more and more that we're a lot tougher conference this year than anyone is giving us credit for.

I think it's going to show this bowl season. Watch for a very strong showing from the Big 12.

Partial Qualifier
10/22/2007, 11:44 AM
I'm starting to wonder why we even have polls.

"Oh, I think I'll vote Arizona State #7!"

I realize this is a beyond-wacky year but if I'm a voter, at some point I have to ask myself: would ASU beat Florida... USC... heck, even South Carolina, Texas, Cal or Michigan... Alabama... on a neutral field? I think not, so why in the **** are you voting them #7 ?

What happened to the common sense factor?

Partial Qualifier
10/22/2007, 11:51 AM
on second thought.. who the hell knows this year. ASU might just be the best team in the nation.
Just seeing them at #4 in the BCS make my head spin :confused:

StoopTroup
10/22/2007, 11:57 AM
The NU loss to suc at the beginning of the year really set the tone for the media and fans thinking that the Big XII was weak this year.

I think that the Teams in the Conference have begun to realize that they are playing good football.

Although NU has imploded...the Big XII Teams have all gotten better each week...except for the whorns of cOUrse....

They still Suck.

:D

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:19 PM
Arizona State, Boston College, Cal and Ohio State all are ranked higher than us, yet none of them have even played or beaten a rankd opponent yet this year...I think our conference is really quite strong...Probably very equal to the Pac 10 right behind the SEC...

BIG_IKE
10/22/2007, 01:39 PM
Our Conference is stronger than it was the last 2 years for sure.
Who is actually SORRY???? ISU, Colorado and Baylor are the only teams that truly SUCK to me.

1. OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri can play with anyone in the country.
2. A&M, K-State, and OSU will beat you if your guard is down

Lookng at out non-conference games is nto a good indicator because who actually schedules the top tier Big 12 teams in non conference?
Not many schools. It's usually the bottom Big 12 teams vs. the powerhouse SEC teams. You will never see a Florida @ Texas or LSU @ Oklahoma non conference game...they wont do it.

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:46 PM
Our Conference is stronger than it was the last 2 years for sure.
Who is actually SORRY???? ISU, Colorado and Baylor are the only teams that truly SUCK to me.

1. OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri can play with anyone in the country.
2. A&M, K-State, and OSU will beat you if your guard is down

Lookng at out non-conference games is nto a good indicator because who actually schedules the top tier Big 12 teams in non conference?
Not many schools. It's usually the bottom Big 12 teams vs. the powerhouse SEC teams. You will never see a Florida @ Texas or LSU @ Oklahoma non conference game...they wont do it.

Concerning your lost comment about OU not scheduling tough teams in the OOC schedule...Check out our future opponents...

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

tbl
10/22/2007, 01:53 PM
Texas / tOSU
OU / UO (thats debatable)
OU / Miami (at the time that was scheduled, it was VERY tough)
Neb / USC (That could have been a good one, but Callahan belows)

tbl
10/22/2007, 01:55 PM
Concerning your lost comment about OU not scheduling tough teams in the OOC schedule...Check out our future opponents...

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008
No joke...

LSU
Tennessee
tOSU
ND
FSU

Considering how far out some of these are, there's a very good chance they'll all be difficult games.