PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the game

47straight
10/21/2007, 10:25 PM
I've seen talk of people threatening to turn off the game in disgust or out of stress lately.

I thought I'd chime in with my best such story. It's got my dad's version of karma, which is good because it's about what he did. Add yours if you've got one.

1986 OU-Nebraska. OU is down pretty much all day. Dad gets ****ed off. He had turned off games before for a few moments to settle down and lower the blood pressure. Here, he got up and left the house! Absolutely couldn't take it. Guess what he misses? Jamelle Holieway pass to Keith Jackson, one-handed down the sideline, setting up the Glenn Sullivan hold for the Timmy Lasher kick to win the ballgame. Never got to see it. I got to see it and ran around the house screaming my head off.

My mom's statement to my pops: "Serves you damn right!"

colleyvillesooner
10/21/2007, 10:36 PM
I've thought about if before but never actually turned it off. It really is amazing how worked up I get watching a bunch of young adults playing a game.

King Crimson
10/21/2007, 10:40 PM
i didn't turn it off, but i went for a long walk at halftime of the 03 Big XII championship game against KSU. didn't help.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/21/2007, 10:43 PM
Oklahoma vs. Ohio State, 1977.

I was...er...young. At my grandparents' house, one of two OU fans among my non-football-fan family.

About mid-third quarter, I couldn't take it anymore, I was too stressed out. I don't remember what I did in the interim, but I turned it back on in time to see Uwe leading the "Block that Kick!" cheers from the Ohio State fans. And to see The Kick.

Luck was with me that day.

Soonerfan88
10/21/2007, 10:43 PM
I'm guilty. I turned this game off after the 1st quarter. I know I've missed some good plays but I just can't seem to deal with it from the couch. I'm much calmer and more optimistic in the stadium for some reason. This is the first time I've tried to watch a game at home in 2 years and it's probably the last for another long stretch.

I'll find something else to do during the Tech game as it would probably give me a stroke.

freshchris05
10/21/2007, 10:59 PM
I turned off one game january 05 but i really dont remember which game it was... ;)

Leroy Lizard
10/22/2007, 12:31 AM
I turned off one game january 05 but i really dont remember which game it was...

I cannot confirm if we have ever played a game in January, 05, but if we had I am sure I would have turned it off.

olevetonahill
10/22/2007, 12:38 AM
Ive watched em all . every minute . Yall are punannies if you quit watchin the 04 orange Bowl :mad:
be piszed about the out come But By gawd WE were THERE .
a 117 other teams were not !:mad:

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 01:42 AM
I've actually never turned one off. We could be down 50-0 at the half and I'd just be thinking about how if the other guys can score 50 in a half and pitch a shutout, so can we.

pott_2
10/22/2007, 01:54 AM
I am so happy and sad at the same time that I watched the entire Fiesta Bowl. I had accepted defeat at the half. That damn Sooner magic had me accepting victory near the end of the fourth quarter. You all know the rest of the roller coaster story from here. I think I tried to throw my sofa out of the window but I am happy that I got to the such a great game in its entirety. I have never turned off a game.

tommieharris91
10/22/2007, 02:03 AM
The 07 Fiesta Bowl was probably the most entertaining game I've ever watched.

Doged
10/22/2007, 02:09 AM
The 07 Fiesta Bowl was probably the most entertaining game I've ever watched.

Agreed. I'd have had it end otherwise, but that was a great football game.

I've never turned one off, but I did get thrown out of my parent's house for about 10 minutes of the Orange Bowl game against Arkansas. It was cold as hell out and I was still torked, but considerably calmed by the time I got back inside. ;)

wishbonesooner
10/22/2007, 06:00 AM
I missed Little Joe's 79 yd touchdown against Mizzou in 75. I couldn't take it and missed one of OU's greatest plays ever. I also missed Torrance Marshall's INT against aTM. The ole ticker ainst what it used to be.

swardboy
10/22/2007, 06:58 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's messed up.

OUmillenium
10/22/2007, 09:45 AM
I've seen talk of people threatening to turn off the game in disgust or out of stress lately.

I thought I'd chime in with my best such story. It's got my dad's version of karma, which is good because it's about what he did. Add yours if you've got one.

1986 OU-Nebraska. OU is down pretty much all day. Dad gets ****ed off. He had turned off games before for a few moments to settle down and lower the blood pressure. Here, he got up and left the house! Absolutely couldn't take it. Guess what he misses? Jamelle Holieway pass to Keith Jackson, one-handed down the sideline, setting up the Glenn Sullivan hold for the Timmy Lasher kick to win the ballgame. Never got to see it. I got to see it and ran around the house screaming my head off.

My mom's statement to my pops: "Serves you damn right!"

Sully spek

fadada1
10/22/2007, 09:47 AM
i've done it.

funny story - my cousin's husband (who i've known since i was little) is a HUGE penn state fan - i grew up one as well (my folks are both from central PA). anyway, the girl i was dating at the time and i went to their house for a weekend when they were living in morgantown, wv - cousin tought at wvu. the penn state/michigan game was on, so we (naturally) were watching. this was in '93 so penn state was just on the verge of getting back to a power. anyway, psu started having problems in the first quarter... which led right into the 2nd quarter.

my cousin's husband decided "that's enough" and went outside. well, it was about 30 degrees and starting to snow. there he is, in his socks, no jacket (just a t-shirt), in the driveway pacing and mumbling. he stayed out there during halftime until the end of the game (never once coming in). psu naturally lost. my GF asked what was wrong with him. being from montana, the poor girl had no clue what it meant to be a fan of college football. btw, this was the same day that the schooner tipped over (she knew i was a NEK). she laughed. i should've dumped her on the spot and left her in west virginia.

anyway, my cousin (and husband) moved to atlanta shortly after and got in a PSU group to watch games. i don't know if they ever went because they both knew they could embarass themselves watching the games.

jrsooner
10/22/2007, 09:50 AM
I usually keep the game on. After I got my 50in screen, if it gets really bad, I'll split the screen and play PS3, while the game is on the other half of the tv. That way I still see what's happening, but my blood pressure stays low. :)

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 09:51 AM
Ive watched em all . every minute . Yall are punannies if you quit watchin the 04 orange Bowl :mad:

I've never, ever turned an OU game off.

I left one game early (it was 1993 vs. Aggie and I drove back to Tulsa to see a girl). And by early I mean I missed the entire 4th quarter.

I sat through 73 - 21, 12 - 0 and 51 - 7 and didn't leave early.

Don't be such a *****.

UberSooner
10/22/2007, 10:06 AM
guilty. I do it for my families mental health, they can only take so much of my psychotic ranting. Its easier to turn it off for a while than apologize.

stoopified
10/22/2007, 10:35 AM

My mom's statement to my pops: "Serves you damn right!"In 1975 the week after losing to KU 23-3 wea are leading MU 20-0 at half and ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD,then when Missou rallied behind QB Phil Bradley(for youngsters think Brad Smith)to take a 27-20 lead with about 4 minutes to go.OU was facing a 4th and 1 at the 29 yardline(our own 29),I turned off the radio(this WAS the olden days when you were lucky to get 2-3 TV games a season)and walked out of the house.Of course we ALL know what happened on the very next play.I swore that day I would NEVER give up on OU if they still had any shot to win a game at all.The Sooner Magic wins over NU,Tosu,Blake miracles against ISU and Syracuse were all games that tested my resolve BUt I saw us pull them out BECAUSE I didn't give up.

birddog
10/22/2007, 10:47 AM
i didn't turn it off, but i went for a long walk at halftime of the 03 Big XII championship game against KSU. didn't help.

i got loaded at a bar by myself in portland that game. there were about 3 people in there including the owner and i was yelling at all 22 ou players on the field because the 22 ksu players weren't cooperating with our plan to be the "greatest team in college football history."

so i decided to take a hike at halftime and the owner, a gruffy bastard in stained sweat pants said," i like the way you support your team. you can come watch your sooners anytime."

i made sure i let him know i appreciate it, but i couldn't possibly show my mug at that place ever again.:O

Jeronimo
10/22/2007, 12:10 PM
I've never turned off a game, but I have walked outside to cool off a bit many times. I always returned to take it on the chin like a man.

2000 at aTm. I was more stressed than usual because I felt we actually had a shot to go unbeaten and we were letting it get away down there. I was at my parents crowded house and we were behind with (i think) a couple minutes left and aTm had the ball. I was losing it cause it didnt look good for us. My dad kept telling me "relax, the defense will come through". I kept pointing the score and the clock and asking how he could be so confident. I walked outside to chug a beer and catch a breath. I went back inside to face the music, and everyone was going ballistic. I actually missed "the interception" play. I was never more ****ed at myself. and havent been since. I have since stopped taking outside trips during the game. I wait til its over then go vent if we lose.

SOONER STEAKER
10/22/2007, 12:17 PM
Here's what I do.

I leave the TV, turn on the radio in the garage, pop open a new beer. I have fixed many holes in the garage where a beer has flown thru the sheet rock. If the team starts playng good again, I'll pop another beer and go back in the kitchen and watch the game on TV.

After the game, I'm cutting sheet rock, then proceed to cutting and pasting my new wall.

Does great for my nerves and I'm now a professional dry waller!!

BOOMER!!

CtheB
10/22/2007, 12:33 PM
In 1975 the week after losing to KU 23-3 wea are leading MU 20-0 at half and ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD,then when Missou rallied behind QB Phil Bradley(for youngsters think Brad Smith)to take a 27-20 lead with about 4 minutes to go.OU was facing a 4th and 1 at the 29 yardline(our own 29),I turned off the radio(this WAS the olden days when you were lucky to get 2-3 TV games a season)and walked out of the house.Of course we ALL know what happened on the very next play.I swore that day I would NEVER give up on OU if they still had any shot to win a game at all.The Sooner Magic wins over NU,Tosu,Blake miracles against ISU and Syracuse were all games that tested my resolve BUt I saw us pull them out BECAUSE I didn't give up.

Great story, but the MU quarterback that day was Steve Pisarkiewicz (PIZ-AR-KA-WITZ). Phil Bradley came about 5 years after that.

Don't ask me how I remember that.

Animal Mother
10/22/2007, 02:36 PM
Great story, but the MU quarterback that day was Steve Pisarkiewicz (PIZ-AR-KA-WITZ). Phil Bradley came about 5 years after that.

Don't ask me how I remember that.

Man you pulled Pisarkiwewicz outta yo azz. I knew it wasn't Bradley, but man, you're scary.
Against ISU, I felt like Danny Glover in "Lethal Weapon 52" or whichever part it was where he said the line about getting too old. I swear. I enjoy my BP hitting 200 for some sick reason. With my family's heart history, that ain't good. It’s part of my DNA to go Spinal tap on a ten scale during OU football. I’ve turned the TV off and gone Marconi, but I’ve never quit on OU. I kept going out to my back porch in Plano during the 2000 ATM brawl to get air. I did this during about seven or eight time outs. When we finally won, I opened a beer and went out again. I was thinking “what a manhood robbing victory we just pulled off”. I took a big pull on my beer, looked to my right and said “WHERE THE HELL IS MY BIKE?!?!?!?!?!” Someone had stolen my 10 speed and I had been on the porch 7 or 8 times but didn’t notice it was history. I just laughed and finished my brewski.

olevetonahill
10/22/2007, 02:45 PM
I've never, ever turned an OU game off.

I left one game early (it was 1993 vs. Aggie and I drove back to Tulsa to see a girl). And by early I mean I missed the entire 4th quarter.

I sat through 73 - 21, 12 - 0 and 51 - 7 and didn't leave early.

Don't be such a *****.
Spek to you JM . Going after Punanny Is the Only acceptable reason :cool:

Larry&Leisa
10/22/2007, 02:55 PM
ppffttt.. for the ISU game I was changing the channel for the live play.. then come back for the replay.. hell.. I even had to go break out the 'lucky' home OU shirt at halftime. Another bad thing is the wife and I usually watch in separate rooms, she is on cable and I am on satellite, there is about a 3 second delay so I hear her reaction first. OU football makes me crazy :)

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 02:56 PM
You guys do realize that the W/L record of the OU football team has little or no impact on your life, right?

That's assuming that you do, in fact, have a life.

Condescending Sooner
10/22/2007, 03:01 PM
I have turned off the TV during a few OU games. I do it because they always seem to do better when I am not watching, thus it reverses the mojo and gives a much better chance of vistory. You people are a buncha amateurs.

Condescending Sooner
10/22/2007, 03:02 PM
You guys do realize that the W/L record of the OU football team has little or no impact on your life, right?

Says the person with over 5,000 posts on an OU message board.

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 03:03 PM

Pffft. Yeah. What a loser that guy is.

colleyvillesooner
10/22/2007, 03:06 PM
Totally...

JohnnyMack
10/22/2007, 03:10 PM
Pffft. Yeah. What a loser that guy is.

You want a loser? I got your loser right here. Thirteen thousand posts AND a location that is an obscure reference to a Star Wars Role-Playing Game. Now THAT is a loser. :cool:

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 03:23 PM

Love the handle, but let's be serious. Discussing politics and Sooner football on a message board is not the same as losing your cool while watching television.

colleyvillesooner
10/22/2007, 03:44 PM

You've obviously never seen the mood of my Wife after a loss...:D

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 03:49 PM
You've obviously never seen the mood of my Wife after a loss...:D

Great point. I stand corrected.

Condescending Sooner
10/22/2007, 04:20 PM
Love the handle, but let's be serious. Discussing politics and Sooner football on a message board is not the same as losing your cool while watching television.

I was addressing the get a life portion of your post.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2007, 04:50 PM
I usually tend to go out to the car and listen to merv johnson if things are sucking...he puts a good spin on things if things arent going the right way

47straight
10/22/2007, 09:31 PM
Sully spek

Sully was my favorite player. If he'd a started in the 89 Citrus Bowl, we'd a won, I tell ya!

FirstandGoal
10/22/2007, 10:27 PM
anyway, my cousin (and husband) moved to atlanta shortly after and got in a PSU group to watch games. :eek: You are married to your cousin?

:cool:

I have never turned off an OU game, but I have moved locations before.

For some reason every time I watch a game at my sister's house, we do really bad. '03 CCG and NC game I started there, but left at halftime to go home and sit by myself sulking as I glumly watched us go down in flames.

That put me off going to her house to watch big games for a few years. I decided Jan '07 was safe enough cause we were playing Boise State.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O