PDA

View Full Version : The Heartland Flyer

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2007, 10:11 PM
Pretty cool trip if any of you guys ever get the urge to take a train ride to Fort Worth.

ChickSoonerFan
10/21/2007, 10:40 PM
It would get much more travel if it went into Dallas. I went on it a couple of times but it was a hassle to get a ride to Dallas. I heard there is a bus or shuttle or some easy way to get from the drop of in FW to Dallas now, but I am not sure about how to find out about that.

ChickSoonerFan
10/21/2007, 10:41 PM
Oh, and it is a good way to travel with the kids, my daughter got a kick out of it.

47straight
10/21/2007, 10:53 PM
My family has used it numerous times to travel to see me in central Texas. It's a lot easier on the ones with medical problems than sitting in the car for a really long time. They like being able to stand up and walk around. The kids are much better for it too.

One big problem though: it has never been on time. The Amtrak trains have to yield for other trains. The train stops too many places. It adds up to significant delays every time it seems.

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, the random stops in Ardmore ans Paul's Valley seemed lame, but we did get to Fort Worth on time, got back more than an hour and a half late though, but it sure beets the **** out of driving :D

OUHOMER
10/22/2007, 04:58 AM
the wife and daughter wanted to take it down on a saturday spend the night and than ride it back. its my daughter B-day ( she turns 30). They wanted a girls night out type deal. but i talked them out of it. Tickets for the train cheap enough, but hotels and rental car got to be to much. they were going to need 2 rooms and a large van for there little party.

Okla-homey
10/22/2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah, the random stops in Ardmore ans Paul's Valley seemed lame, but we did get to Fort Worth on time, got back more than an hour and a half late though, but it sure beets the **** out of driving :D

Random stops in Ardmore and PV? What? It is a people train ya know.;) People got to be able to get on the thing if they bought a ticket in Ardmore.

BTW, does it have a bar car? Cuz that would be sweet. Also, can you smoke anywhere on board?

OklahomaTuba
10/22/2007, 08:46 AM
You know, it makes no sense whatsoever that there isn't train service in this state.

I WANT CHOO CHOOS!!!!!!!

sooner_born_1960
10/22/2007, 08:57 AM
Random stops in Ardmore and PV? What? It is a people train ya know.;) People got to be able to get on the thing if they bought a ticket in Ardmore.

BTW, does it have a bar car? Cuz that would be sweet. Also, can you smoke anywhere on board?

http://www.heartlandflyer.com/train-information/experience/

It appears cocktails are available.

King Crimson
10/22/2007, 12:23 PM
You know, it makes no sense whatsoever that there isn't train service in this state.

I WANT CHOO CHOOS!!!!!!!

when i took the HF to Fort Worth about 6 months ago there was a letter writing campaign to Brad Henry to extend service north/east to Kansas City (IIRC).

tracks are already there, they just need money or something. when i was a kid, my mom and i used to take the train north from Norman to visit my g-parents in Ponca City.

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Waste.
of.
money.

OklahomaTuba
10/22/2007, 01:17 PM
Waste.
of.
money.

Not.
At.
All.

If there was train service from Tulsa to Norman, and there was a bar car, I would happily pay for that.

Oklahoma should figure out a way to do that.

RacerX
10/22/2007, 01:54 PM
Waste.
of.
money.

I hate to agree. But yeah.

handcrafted
10/22/2007, 02:25 PM
Waste.
of.
space.

Yes, the Bears certainly are. :D

yermom
10/22/2007, 02:35 PM

I WANT CHOO CHOOS!!!!!!!

yes.

it's a cool alternative, loads more comfortable than driving or flying

more time and money though...

sooner_born_1960
10/22/2007, 02:50 PM
I think Sicem was refering to all the tax payers money wasted. I think he's right.

RacerX
10/22/2007, 03:54 PM
Yep. It'd be more like $120 or so a ticket if the state didn't pony up some millions to Amtrak every year.

NormanPride
10/22/2007, 04:08 PM
I would love a train from OKC to Tulsa. The problem is, once you get there, how do you get around?

The underlying problem about all of this is that US cities are too spread out. If there were viable mass transit options in these cities, then taking a train there without any planned out local transportation would not be a problem.

mdklatt
10/22/2007, 04:28 PM
Yep. It'd be more like $120 or so a ticket if the state didn't pony up some millions to Amtrak every year.

How much do you think the government ponies up to maintain the interstate highway and air transportation networks each year? All transportation is subsidized.

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2007, 05:19 PM
I think Sicem was refering to all the tax payers money wasted. I think he's right.

Even Tuba hopping on a box car from time to time wouldn't come close to making up the bottomless pit that is Amtrak.

A supposed conservative defending Amtrak of all things makes me all sad in my pants.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 05:34 PM
If they could get a connecting train from OKC to Tulsa then onto KC, it would be better. As far as the renting a car, if you flew anywhere you would still have to rent a car, so that is a push. It is more money than flying, and does take a great deal longer, but you are going to be a whole lot more comfortable on that train than any plane, unless you pony up for first class. I had never been on a train, other than subway cars and light rails, so it was a neat experience for me. Just makes me wish that the state would really think about putting in a better light rail system here in Oklahoma, but with the new cross town, that is now going to be impossible.

RacerX
10/22/2007, 08:24 PM
How much do you think the government ponies up to maintain the interstate highway and air transportation networks each year? All transportation is subsidized.
Tell me how they get subsidized.

We pay gasoline taxes.

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2007, 08:42 PM
Also, there is a big difference between subsidizing interstate highways and air travel and the subsidization of Amtrak.

The first two are in very high demand by the public.....Amtrak is not.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 08:50 PM
The only reason there isn't a high demand for rail travel is because of location restrictions. If they would open routes on tracks that already exist, and gave people more options on where they could ride a train to, I am sure more people would jump at the chance.

I would rather ride a train at this point, with the comfort it provides, then sit in the middle seat of a cramped airplane. Plus, you get to a train, 30 minutes before it leaves, air travel, what do they say now, better get there 3-4 hours early. The time difference is a wash when you factor that time in.

Like I said, open the rails to more places, and people will flock to trains!

yermom
10/22/2007, 09:04 PM
it's NOT a wash ;)

i've yet to need to get to a plane more than an hour before take-off

but even if you did, it's an 8 hour train ride from KC to Chicago without delays

OKC to Chicago is what, 3 hours, tops?

redblood
10/22/2007, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking of taking Amtrak to California to visit my daughter.Or should I fly?
Any thoughts.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 09:11 PM
it's NOT a wash ;)

i've yet to need to get to a plane more than an hour before take-off

but even if you did, it's an 8 hour train ride from KC to Chicago without delays

OKC to Chicago is what, 3 hours, tops?

I haven't flown in a while, but last I heard, the TSA said you should give yourself at least two hours, if not more. But yeah, it does take a long time, but isn't getting there part of the fun? ;)

yermom
10/22/2007, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking of taking Amtrak to California to visit my daughter.Or should I fly?
Any thoughts.

i haven't gone West, but i went East (KC to Philly)

it's a lot easier going than flying, there are showers and a dining car, etc...
the food is pretty awful though

the trip was about 30 hours each way, including about 5-6 hours of delays

if you have the extra time and haven't done it before, it's pretty cool. i could see doing it again one way, coming back was kinda rough

mdklatt
10/22/2007, 10:00 PM
Tell me how they get subsidized.

We pay gasoline taxes.

Gasoline taxes are not enough to pay for highway construction and maintenance--or why would I-44 be a toll road across Oklahoma? Gasoline itself is heavily subsidized. The FAA gets money from the aviation trust fund, which is funded by taxes on aviation fuel. But it also gets a good chunk of change from the general fund. Airports themselves get federal funding, and most airports are funded/operated by local governments. Railroads have to pay for and maintain all of their own infrastructure. Amtrak has it even worse because it has to pay freight railroads to use their tracks in most places. How much would a Chevy Malibu cost if GM had to build all the highways for you to drive on? How much would a plane ticket cost if Delta had to build all of it's own airports?

mdklatt
10/22/2007, 10:07 PM
Also, there is a big difference between subsidizing interstate highways and air travel and the subsidization of Amtrak.

The first two are in very high demand by the public.....Amtrak is not.

Self-fulfilling prophecy. Railroads were king when we started to build the interstate highway system and modern ATC system after WW II. There are valid reasons why railroads won't work here like they do in Europe, but a lot of the disparity is due to government policy.

redblood
10/23/2007, 12:37 AM
i haven't gone West, but i went East (KC to Philly)

it's a lot easier going than flying, there are showers and a dining car, etc...
the food is pretty awful though

the trip was about 30 hours each way, including about 5-6 hours of delays

if you have the extra time and haven't done it before, it's pretty cool. i could see doing it again one way, coming back was kinda rough

Thanks for the info,we may just do it.Time and delays aren't a problem.

Jeopardude
10/23/2007, 11:49 AM
It would get much more travel if it went into Dallas. I went on it a couple of times but it was a hassle to get a ride to Dallas. I heard there is a bus or shuttle or some easy way to get from the drop of in FW to Dallas now, but I am not sure about how to find out about that.

The TRE (Texas Rail Exchange) goes between Ft. Worth and Dallas. Please note the train does not run on Sundays. Greyhound does though, but it's a bus and not so fun. Ft. Worth is a fun day trip. Enough to do in downtown to make the trip worthwhile.

As a Normanite, I'm tempted to take the Flyer up one night to OKC and get my party on in Bricktown and crash in a downtown hotel. Then get up too early and take it back. No driving, no danger.

sooner_born_1960
10/23/2007, 12:36 PM
Or just take a cab both ways.

RacerX
10/23/2007, 01:19 PM
The only reason there isn't a high demand for rail travel is because of location restrictions. If they would open routes on tracks that already exist, and gave people more options on where they could ride a train to, I am sure more people would jump at the chance.

I would rather ride a train at this point, with the comfort it provides, then sit in the middle seat of a cramped airplane. Plus, you get to a train, 30 minutes before it leaves, air travel, what do they say now, better get there 3-4 hours early. The time difference is a wash when you factor that time in.

Like I said, open the rails to more places, and people will flock to trains!

You haven't watched Singles.