PDA

View Full Version : OU will lose to Tech

douxpaysan
10/21/2007, 09:41 PM
Some of them get it...some of them never will. http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5264160&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

kevpks
10/21/2007, 09:46 PM
Tech is overhyped. We'll be at our best against them and win handily. At least we know they can't let the grass grow six inches to try to slow us down.

AzianSooner
10/21/2007, 09:46 PM
Even if they say LSU is the best team right now, OU still can beat LSU or USC on the field, if we have a great coaching staff with a great game plan and a great execution.

Like some great head football coach said "anyone can beat anyone. ANyone can beat you and You can beat anyone"

So my point is. Yes, we might lose to TT and we might win. Let wait and see.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Even if they say LSU is the best team right now, OU still can beat LSU or USC on the field, if we have a great coaching staff with a great game plan and a great execution.

Like some great head football coach said "anyone can beat anyone. ANyone can beat you and You can beat anyone"

So my point is. Yes, we might lose to TT and we might win. Let wait and see.

I don't think we will lose to Tech but we haven't played well on the road this year so I do think it is going to be very tough.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised if the game with Tech turns out tougher than whoever we get in the CCG. Other than meeting LSU in New Orleans which is definitely a true road game in my book TT is the last team (sorry Baylor) that we will have to beat in front of a road crowd.

stoopified
10/21/2007, 09:59 PM
Horns are PRAYING TECH can beat us.What they are forgetting is Tumbleweed Tech has no D.UT should be more scared of them then we should be.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 10:02 PM
Wait, didn't Missouri bitch slap Tech?

AND

It's funny that whorn fans talk smack about our poor efforts at ISU, when Baylor gave them all they could handle.

Good stuff!

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2007, 10:14 PM
What they are forgetting is Tumbleweed Tech has no D.

But Iowa State does?

You would think we would learn our lesson for just a few days before forgetting. :D

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 10:47 PM
if you remember the past years of this matchup you would've heard the same ole bs about TT's explosive offense and how their qb is the best in the nation...just like the Kliff Kingsburys teams and that other guy they had a couple years ago when they lost on the field and won on the scoreboard against us in Lubbock...its been this way for almost a decade now ever since Leach has arrived there and also if you recall OU hasn't had trouble with the Red Raiders potent offense with exception to that game in 05 when they bent us over... but hey Im gonna stick with this pattern and im predicting that the OU d after improving week after week leading up to this game will be quite a bit more stout than they were yesterday even though I was proud of the d and the way they came through when they had to against the lowly Cyclones...Venables will have them ready to prove ONCE AGAIN that teams with the spread offense and an average defense will never come out on top of a team where the d is the strength of the team as it is this year for the sooners...I don't think OU will have much trouble UNLESS they lose the turnover margin which has been trouble at times

85sooners
10/21/2007, 10:50 PM
lol

SoonerKnight
10/21/2007, 10:53 PM
What a bunch of ****** bags on horn fans. I still can not believe that you can't say ******! Maybe I should call them a bunch of penis's oh heck I'll just stick with ******! :D

hOlden caUlfield...
10/21/2007, 10:57 PM
one guy over there also said if the thongcorns win out, they will go to the national championship. just when i think they couldn't get any dumber, they go and do something like this.....and totally redeem themselves. :texan:

Suerreal
10/21/2007, 11:00 PM
One thing Bob Stoops does well is to stoke mean and angry and a take-no-prisoners mentality in his team.

The Sooners will remember when we beat the 11 guys on the field but couldn't overcome the extra players they had in black-and-white and in the replay booth from 2 years ago. The Red Raiders will be whining about OU running up the score at the end of the day. Just as Coach Fran was when we bi+ch-slapped them the following week.

47straight
10/21/2007, 11:22 PM
I still don't understand the attraction of reading hornfans. On youtube or other neutral sites, sure, flame away, but you're allowed to be somewhat delusional on your own site. Witness... this forum?

douxpaysan
10/22/2007, 12:39 AM
I still don't understand the attraction of reading hornfans. On youtube or other neutral sites, sure, flame away, but you're allowed to be somewhat delusional on your own site. Witness... this forum?
You are absolutely correct...I think it must be the "car wreck syndrome". That and we've got to prepare for Bye State this week.:rolleyes:

MNsooner
10/22/2007, 01:13 AM
"OU doesnt lose to Tech often b/c Stoops understands how to defend the spread better than any coach in the nation after being DC under Spurrier and then running the Leach offense after becoming the HC at OU. Mizzou apparently took notes from the Stoops classroom as they did exactly what you have to do --- blitz all the time.

It is counter-intuitive to bring 5-6 on every play on formations with 4-5 wide, but it is the correct way to play that offense. PLaying teams like Tech, you must apply pressure and force the QB into pressing to get the ball out. Harrell is incredibly accurate and doesnt make many mistakes -- 3 INTs all year coming into today, but with the constant pressure, the picks came.

Now the flip side is that you WILL get burned on a deep pass now and then... that is what makes ppl nervous and drop back into a soft zone. But playing too soft a zone against Leach is exactly what he wants... short passes underneath that amount to slow death for your defense.

Mizzou gambled and got burned for the deep pass to Britton -- but they stopped them a helluva lot more than they got burned. Stoops gets that. Expect Harrell to be beaten up bad. "

Apparently they aren't all dumb.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 01:39 AM
Yep...I say we bring the house on virtually every play...except the ones where common sense NORMALLY says you should bring the house. On those plays, we should have everyone we can get in coverage. I think that's exactly the thing that would screw up Leach's philosophy.

TripleOption14
10/22/2007, 06:15 AM
The A&M game will be a tell tell sign of how the rest of the year will probably go. IF OU has to fight and scratch to beat A&M the Tech game will be in SERIOUS question!! IF they come out and take care of business like they did against the Canes it will be a different story.

swardboy
10/22/2007, 06:41 AM
We're doomed.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/22/2007, 06:54 AM
But Iowa State does?

You would think we would learn our lesson for just a few days before forgetting. :D

Well you don't.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/22/2007, 08:47 AM
This young team, as a young team often does, has a bad habit of playing to the level of competition on the road.

So count me as not surprised at all if we lose, and I'll take the win any way it comes if we can get it.

BTW, does any of you really think we look like a national championship-calibre team right now? This week off couldn't have come at a better time to help us regroup and get some guys healthy....

Widescreen
10/22/2007, 08:51 AM
BTW, does any of you really think we look like a national championship-calibre team right now? This week off couldn't have come at a better time to help us regroup and get some guys healthy....
Most years? Nope.

This year? It's possible. I haven't seen any truly impressive teams that are head-and-shoulders better than everyone else. We have as much talent as anyone out there. But we seem to have 2 main problems.

1) Very little leadership
2) Not mentally disciplined

Those are 2 things championship teams have in spades. I still think we could win it all (this season at least) if we can get #2 improved.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/22/2007, 09:01 AM
Most years? Nope.

This year? It's possible. I haven't seen any truly impressive teams that are head-and-shoulders better than everyone else. We have as much talent as anyone out there. But we seem to have 2 main problems.

1) Very little leadership
2) Not mentally disciplined

Those are 2 things championship teams have in spades. I still think we could win it all (this season at least) if we can get #2 improved.

I don't think many things Lou Holtz says make sense but one point he made I agree with. We don't really need to be the best team in the country. We just need to be the best team on the field the rest of the season.

setem
10/22/2007, 09:01 AM
We are going to see a new team when the take the field against aTm. I know Bob is going to light a fire under some asses. If they get that fire that I have seen in so many other teams we are going to be pretty hard to beat. If you watch other teams they hope of from a play and you can see they are excited to be playing football. That is one thing we have been lacking and I hope we get it in the next two weeks. TRRW needs to make a visit again and fire these boys up!

We are going to have Reynolds back and Murray will be fully healed. Reynolds cant cover a dish but he is one of our best run stoppers and pass rushers. They have started pulling him in big passing situations and I think it has been a big help. It is going to be great to have him back on the field. Reynolds is not going have much use in the TT game, with the coaches using D. Pleasant much more and the experience he has should give us a big boost. Austin English if you ask me need to be playing a little bit of LB the kids just flat out athletic. He can cover from the DE spot(we have all seen him do it) and he is one of the nations best. The coaches are going to batten down the hatches by the time we play TT. We always play them well... why should this year be any different? I hope we are underdogs going into the TT game it will only make it that much sweeter when we hand them their ***.

Let's just hope the refs are not as bad as they were the last time we were in tuna can land.

SPREAD IT ON!!!

Earickson
10/22/2007, 09:21 AM
Things never look good going into the TT games. They score a lot by throwing the ball 80 times a game, and OU has inconsistent secondary play. Smells like a disaster brewing, doesn't it?

But after the dust settles, OU is always victorious. Except when referees intervene.

Football games are decided by the overall execution of the scheme, offensive and defensive. TT executes the passing game well, they have a scheme in place to do it, and it produces. However, they have little else that gets executed well on a consistent basis. This is how all good, well-balanced football teams who play that way beat them.

Position Limit
10/22/2007, 09:31 AM
Wait, didn't Missouri bitch slap Tech?

AND

It's funny that whorn fans talk smack about our poor efforts at ISU, when Baylor gave them all they could handle.

Good stuff!

31-10 final score is "giving them all they can handle". what world do you live in? let me tell you what "giving them all they can handle" is. going on the road to play an abortion of a football team/program (ISU) and not pulling ahead until late in the game. so let me get this straight. we've had 2 road game this year and 1 resulted in a lose to a crappy colorado team, and the other we escaped the mighty ames cyclones. with road performances like that, i can understand all of the wild enthusiasm about blowing out tech on the road where we lost the last time we played. me thinks none of you guys have lasted very long wagering on college football.

zeke
10/22/2007, 10:01 AM
OU will have no problems with TT if we dont turn the ball over.

kevpks
10/22/2007, 10:11 AM
I have no respect for a team that can't line up and run for a yard when they have to. Hence, I have no respect for Tech. And I can't wait for the guy on Fox to tell me about how wide the splits are on their offensive line like he just freakin discovered something.

badger
10/22/2007, 10:29 AM
oh dear. by aggie logic, that would make us worse then them... and it also would by real logic too, as they only have one loss and if we were to lose another conference game, the aggies may just do more than get whet. ewwwwwww!!!!

Therefore, to avoid any possibility of aggie logic taking over, we must beat the pirates and their pirate captain. And not give up 700 yards while doing it, either!

I hate aggie logic soooooo much.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2007, 10:34 AM
I predict if we play Venables defense, and play a soft zone, we will get scored on - quite a bit. If we play a Mike Stoops defense with blitz packages, we'll harrange Harrell and shut down their offense, re: Missouri's defensive scheme...

Thankfully, Leach hasn't met a defense at all. Has no clue what defense is about...We should be able to score quite a bit as well...You know, this guy is so concerned about offense, if he would find a defense, he could be a "great" coach rather some guy with a "scheme".

Texas Golfer
10/22/2007, 12:21 PM
We played two weak North teams on the road and lost one and almost lost the other. Iowa State is clearly the worst team in the Big XII and they almost beat us. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that we'll do well against Tech on the road.

Jeronimo
10/22/2007, 12:26 PM
regarding looking like a nat'l title team..........no we dont. not even close. the thing is nobody else does either. but we do have a shot because of that. We still need a few things out of our control to go our way, but like every other year, we have to take care of OUr business. The way this year is going around the nation, we dont have any games that our "in the bag" at all. ESPECIALLY at tech or ******. but someone was right, the aTm game will give us an idea. we stomp a mud hole in them, we just maybe alright, but we struggle and I dont like our chances in lubbock.

StoopTroup
10/22/2007, 12:40 PM
This young team, as a young team often does, has a bad habit of playing to the level of competition on the road.

So count me as not surprised at all if we lose, and I'll take the win any way it comes if we can get it.

We didn't look like a National Championship Caliber Team when we played oSu in Stillwater in 2000 either. We went on to beat a very good KSU team in KC for the 2nd time that Season and made it to the MNC where it was supposed to be over before it started....

I do agree with you that having this week off is a good thing.

We were so banged up going into the Big XII CC in KC in 2000 that it was unbelievable how some of our guys persevered.

This is a really good Sooner Team.

Yes we have weaknesses but the biggest thing we need to do is stop turnovers and stupid penalties.

I wouldn't have thought (pre-season) we would be looking this good at this point in the season...but...here we are...in the hunt...

WE ARE THE SOONERS ! ! !

WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS ! ! !

Facts are facts.

Ever
10/22/2007, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't put Tech past us - I agree, we're not the same team on the road and Leach knows how to coach. If they get their defense to jell a little, we're going to face one of the tougher battles this year.

AverageJoe
10/22/2007, 04:36 PM
We always seem to handle that offense. We'll tighten up that coverage before then. If the refs do not give us a job like thet last time in Lubbock we win.

AJ

Salt City Sooner
10/22/2007, 07:56 PM
31-10 final score is "giving them all they can handle". what world do you live in? let me tell you what "giving them all they can handle" is. going on the road to play an abortion of a football team/program (ISU) and not pulling ahead until late in the game. so let me get this straight. we've had 2 road game this year and 1 resulted in a lose to a crappy colorado team, and the other we escaped the mighty ames cyclones. with road performances like that, i can understand all of the wild enthusiasm about blowing out tech on the road where we lost the last time we played. me thinks none of you guys have lasted very long wagering on college football.
The score of that game mid-way through the 4th quarter was UT 17 BU 10, before UT scored twice in the last 7 1/2 minutes, once on a 91 yard pick 6. Considering the talent differential between the 2 teams, I'd call that giving the 'horns all they could handle.

bluedogok
10/22/2007, 09:01 PM
The score of that game mid-way through the 4th quarter was UT 17 BU 10, before UT scored twice in the last 7 1/2 minutes, once on a 91 yard pick 6. Considering the talent differential between the 2 teams, I'd call that giving the 'horns all they could handle.
I had that game going on the second TV and Baylor was giving UT " all they could handle" until that interception. Baylor was also playing a backup QB.

The Tech people in my office (and my wife) expect a Tech loss to OU.

josh09
10/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Some of them get it...some of them never will. http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5264160&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Im pretty sure they said the same thing about Mizzou....

lol

Soonerus
10/22/2007, 10:00 PM
Just so some of you can relax, OU will not lose at Tech this year...

CtheB
10/22/2007, 11:15 PM
Fact is, no matter how much the TT offense wears defenses out during the year, they never have really rang up points on OU. Yards, yes...points, not so much. Not just that, but notice how Mizzou wore them out last week running the football. We'll have a lot of success against Tech this year.

Suerreal
10/22/2007, 11:20 PM
Ageed. Does someone keep a stat of red-zone defense? I think OU does an outstanding job with that.

tommieharris91
10/22/2007, 11:45 PM
Fact is, no matter how much the TT offense wears defenses out during the year, they never have really rang up points on OU. Yards, yes...points, not so much. Not just that, but notice how Mizzou wore them out last week running the football. We'll have a lot of success against Tech this year.

Tceh offense and wear out the other team don't belong in the same sentence. If they could run the ball they would have beaten aggy at their house.