PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Music Help

Ardmore_Sooner
10/21/2007, 09:09 PM
I am thinking about installing a program to download music (legally of course) so I can add songs to my ipod. Any suggestions for something free? Is Limewire any good? Any help is appreciated.:confused:

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2007, 10:00 PM
I am thinking about installing a program to download music (legally of course) so I can add songs to my ipod. Any suggestions for something free? Is Limewire any good? Any help is appreciated.:confused:

Limewire would = illegal

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2007, 10:01 PM
iTunes would = teh best legal route

GottaHavePride
10/21/2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, for an actual iPod, might as well go with iTunes.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 01:19 AM
Go into to F.Y.E. and shove a few CDs in your pocket. Hell, they would probably be so thrilled that someone actually wanted their crappy little pieces of plastic that they would wave you out of the store if you got caught :D

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2007, 01:54 AM
I don't believe that Limewire is illegal de jure so long as nothing but things in the public domain were in your share folder or downloaded.

Music.com is a good resource. iTunes is good for selection, though some don't think their encodes are particularly good.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 02:52 AM
Amazon and iTunes are still the legal way to go to get DRM free music

SoonerBBall
10/22/2007, 10:23 AM
Limewire works really well if you are going to go that route. Also, don't believe everything you hear. iTunes and Amazon have DRM-free music, but the selection isn't the greatest and iTunes charges you more for them. If you are looking for mainstream music, though, they'll probably be your best bet (legally).

soonerinabilene
10/22/2007, 11:59 AM
bit torrents. oh, wait, you said legal.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 04:36 PM
So will Limewire bog my computer down?

rufnek05
10/22/2007, 04:58 PM
just use limewire, still have to use iTunes to put it on your iPod

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 05:37 PM
Limewire works really well if you are going to go that route. Also, don't believe everything you hear. iTunes and Amazon have DRM-free music, but the selection isn't the greatest and iTunes charges you more for them. If you are looking for mainstream music, though, they'll probably be your best bet (legally).

Actually, iTunes just lowered their rates on DRM-free music down to $.99, and now have more of it than Amazon, but yeah, the selection is still limited.

If you want to use services like limewire and bit torrent (and I am not condoning downloading music illegally) then CYA and use a laptop at a public hotspot, or just don't keep anything in your share folder.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 05:38 PM
So will Limewire bog my computer down?

Yeah, while it is running it will zap your bandwidth and and be a drain on your CPU.

Suerreal
10/22/2007, 10:52 PM
AFAIK, the only way to legally obtain songs you recognize from artists you've heard of onto your hard drive is to upload them from a CD or pay 89¢-99¢ for them or subscribe to a service with a monthly access fee like Rhapsody or Napster.

If you want to transfer songs to your iPod, your options are more limited as DRM encoding is not universal. Options would include:
Uploading from CDs (DRM free)
Buying from iTunes (limited DRM-free selection, so you better plan on buying iPods in the future if you buy their DRM-encrypted files since they won't play on other mp3 players.)
Buying from amazon(even more limited DRM-free selection)
It is possible to buy from other sources, but read the fine print carefully to see if files are iPod-compatible. I don't think any of the subscription type services are compatible with iPods.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:06 PM
AFAIK, the only way to legally obtain songs you recognize from artists you've heard of onto your hard drive is to upload them from a CD or pay 89¢-99¢ for them or subscribe to a service with a monthly access fee like Rhapsody or Napster.

If you want to transfer songs to your iPod, your options are more limited as DRM encoding is not universal. Options would include:
Uploading from CDs (DRM free)
Buying from iTunes (limited DRM-free selection, so you better plan on buying iPods in the future if you buy their DRM-encrypted files since they won't play on other mp3 players.)
Buying from amazon(even more limited DRM-free selection)
It is possible to buy from other sources, but read the fine print carefully to see if files are iPod-compatible. I don't think any of the subscription type services are compatible with iPods.

If you have an MP3 player, doesn't that mean you have an iPod? :D But really, why go with anything else, iPod is the standard by which every other MP3 player is judged by.

Suerreal
10/22/2007, 11:14 PM
But really, why go with anything else, iPod is the standard by which every other MP3 player is judged by.
I have an iPod and I love it. But I also wound up re-purchasing about 50 songs because I'd previously bought the files from MusicMatch and they weren't compatible with my iPod.

Also if you want to use one of the subscription services, your iPod may not play their files.

That's why many people don't buy iPods - because their options for compatible files are more limited.

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:17 PM
That subscription stuff seems kinda bunk to me anyways, I would rather buy it, and know it is mine for as long as my computer holds out

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:26 PM
So downloading music from Limewire is illegal, even if I don't try to sell it? I have Ruckus on my computer, which is a free service that OU offers, but it won't transfer to an iPod. And that's even after a subscription. I just don't wanna be like Tom Dubois off of Boondocks and worry about getting anally raped in jail for downloading music illegally. ;)

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:29 PM
So downloading music from Limewire is illegal, even if I don't try to sell it? I have Ruckus on my computer, which is a free service that OU offers, but it won't transfer to an iPod. And that's even after a subscription. I just don't wanna be like Tom Dubois off of Boondocks and worry about getting anally raped in jail for downloading music illegally. ;)

Downloading copyrighted material of any sort from any source without the express permission of the copyright holder is illegal.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:31 PM
Downloading copyrighted material of any sort from any source without the express permission of the copyright holder is illegal.

So does OU need to report the use of Ruckus to the compliance department? ;)

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, limewire is totally not legal if you use it to download anything not in the public domain. And yeah, I have Ruckus because of OU and it=teh suc

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:32 PM

They cut a deal with them, figured it would keep us broke *** students from downloading stuff we shouldn't on University bandwidth.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:37 PM
They cut a deal with them, figured it would keep us broke *** students from downloading stuff we shouldn't on University bandwidth.

And I agree, it is TEH SUC

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, limewire is totally not legal if you use it to download anything not in the public domain. And yeah, I have Ruckus because of OU and it=teh suc

I guess I'm computer illiterate. What is public domain?

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:38 PM
really, what good is a music service that doesn't let you put music on your iPod? Plus, they don't have a mac version, so I couldn't use it on my primary computer anyways

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:39 PM

Music and lyrics published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public Domain in the United States

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2007, 11:41 PM
Music and lyrics published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public Domain in the United States

So I can download the "Maple Leaf Rag"?

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2007, 11:47 PM
So I can download the "Maple Leaf Rag"?

To your little hearts content!

Mixer!
10/23/2007, 12:54 AM
Much to the chagrin of the descendants of Stephen Foster, Scott Joplin, and John Phillips Sousa. :pop:

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2007, 01:07 AM

Has nothing to do with computer literacy and everything to do with copyright law.

Public domain material is material for which no copyright exists.

There is also material out there where the copyright owner has stated that it is OK to make and distribute copies of their property. However, it is the responsibility of the person copying the material to make sure that their copying is authorized.

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2007, 01:08 AM

Sounds like OU has made a deal with one or more of the music licensing services.

def_lazer_fc
10/23/2007, 01:44 AM
If you have an MP3 player, doesn't that mean you have an iPod? :D But really, why go with anything else, iPod is the standard by which every other MP3 player is judged by.

no, ipod is just the most heavily advertised mp3 player. :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
10/23/2007, 01:53 AM
no, ipod is just the most heavily advertised mp3 player. :rolleyes:

If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't market that POS Zune anyways :D