PDA

View Full Version : Why do other teams have some

Dan Thompson
10/21/2007, 06:56 PM
interesting plays? Like the little jump pass Florida did for the TD.

The fake fumble on the exchange between center and QB that sucked c
everyone into the line and the receiver was all alone going down field for the pass and the TD. I think that was in the Kentucky game, but not sure.

emoinwinter
10/21/2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sure we have them, we have just never been in a position where we need them.

EnidHighSooner
10/21/2007, 07:32 PM
It would be nice to see some of those :]

Sooner02
10/21/2007, 07:35 PM
Those ended somehwere along 1999.

olevetonahill
10/21/2007, 08:11 PM
Ill answer this fer Ya
Its cause Our Team succs
Our coaches succs
Our stadium succs
our Fans succs
Oh and we have the " horse pogs "

yermom
10/21/2007, 08:13 PM
we need to work on making the normal ones work first ;)

hehe "Horse Pogs"

Czar Soonerov
10/21/2007, 08:20 PM
Ill answer this fer Ya
Its cause Our Team succs
Our coaches succs
Our stadium succs
our Fans succs
Oh and we have the " horse pogs "

But they're cool, they ride Segways!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7383/centenialparade089ks1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

olevetonahill
10/21/2007, 08:22 PM

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7383/centenialparade089ks1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
You sure that aint BRJ on his moped ? :confused:

freshchris05
10/21/2007, 08:24 PM

this is terrible... i mean is Gob Bluth our mascot??

he must have traded the banana suit...

freshchris05
10/21/2007, 08:29 PM
Creative plays? us? heh...

i dont like bitching about our play calling or anything but sam is an athlete, let him roll out. maybe not to run but to move the pocket. whenever the pocket collapses he looks like he wants to run but then takes a sack because thats what hes been told to do. taking a sack is fine but i would like to see him have some rollout plays...

SoonerKnight
10/21/2007, 08:43 PM
I thought we could have used a trick play against Colorado or Iowa St.

Remember the Alabama fake FG those were the days! :D

Widescreen
10/21/2007, 08:46 PM
Give Urban Meyer another couple of years. He'll figure out he doesn't need to do that anymore soon enough.

sanantoniosooner
10/21/2007, 08:47 PM
plays where we score are plenty interesting to me.

Curly Bill
10/21/2007, 08:52 PM
...and the answer is: Mike Leach is now at TT, and Mangino is now at Kansas, while at OU we have one Kevin Wilson. The good news is that while he's not as good as Leach or Mangino...at least he's not Chuck Long.

I might add that I intensely dislike the idea that we are now so good we don't need trick plays anymore. A nice little change-up ever now and again helps to keep the defense honest, and would only make us a better offensive team...less predictable you might say.

Ash
10/21/2007, 08:57 PM
...and the crutch rears it's ugly head yet again.

Curly Bill
10/21/2007, 08:59 PM
...and the crutch rears it's ugly head yet again.

So...want to convince me Wilson is as good as the other two?

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 09:02 PM
thats a good point fresh chris but you have to understand that Bradford puts the majority of his throws on the money when he gets to set his feet and step up and thats what he needs to work on the most...standing tall in the pocket, learning to read coverages, and learning to sense the blind side pressure...I mean come on we have one of the biggest offensive lines in the country (if not the biggest of all) and they have protected his hide pretty well to this point and I think that the more confidence he gets in his oline to keep the other shirts out of his face and that the more confidence the line gets in Sam to make plays that the whole mood and focus of the team will become more consistent and the players will feel even more comfortable and loose out on the field...and that would spread through the entire offensive team...

I do think Sam can run though I can see your point there but its definetly harder to throw accurately on the run than from the pocket...he can do it no doubt he's already made more than a few plays like that this season but I just think he's much more effective from the pocket

Ash
10/21/2007, 09:04 PM
So...want to convince me Wilson is as good as the other two?

What would be the point?

If Bob fired Venables and Wilson tonight, the same complaints would be made about whoever replaced them after the first performance that disappointed the fans.

It's like a broken record. It's just funny because fans were happy about KW and the fact that the offense was opened up more in the beginning of the season.

Curly Bill
10/21/2007, 09:11 PM
What would be the point?

If Bob fired Venables and Wilson tonight, the same complaints would be made about whoever replaced them after the first performance that disappointed the fans.

It's like a broken record. It's just funny because fans were happy about KW and the fact that the offense was opened up more in the beginning of the season.

Of course fans are going to gripe. Rightly or wrongly they feel they have a stake in what happens, and the internet allows them to voice their opinions like never before. You're also right that whomever holds those positions is going to be criticised...too much when things are less then great, and when things are wonderful they are often praised too strongly.

I will stand by my original remark though that I think Leach and Mangino where better OC's then Kevin Wilson. Having said that, I still think Wilson does a good job, and better then most others out there. Is creativity his strong point...???

badger
10/21/2007, 09:12 PM
some fans complain when we start off the game running "too much." then, some other fans complain when we start off passing too much.

Idea...
FIRE TEH FANZ NOWW!!!!11!!1!

Curly Bill
10/21/2007, 09:14 PM
some fans complain when we start off the game running "too much." then, some other fans complain when we start off passing too much.

Idea...
FIRE TEH FANZ NOWW!!!!11!!1!

True dat...but at least this way you know they care. ;)

Ash
10/21/2007, 09:21 PM
snip.

I will stand by my original remark though that I think Leach and Mangino where better OC's then Kevin Wilson. Having said that, I still think Wilson does a good job, and better then most others out there. Is creativity his strong point...???

That's fine, and I wasn't really arguing against your point. In fact, I think Leach is one of the best offensive minds in the game today (unless you ask Charlie Weiss ;) ).

I have some gripes about some of the plays just like every fan, but there are some things that are continually harped on that have little or nothing to do with whether or not the team was successful, like how often we run trick plays.

freshchris05
10/21/2007, 09:23 PM
I am happy with the team.. i think we are one of the top 3, as long as we keep the w chain going i'll be fine.. but i really think a rollout would help as far as teams throwing blitz packages at us and such.. but like you said stew, he does better setting his feet. bottom line is the coaches see him alot more than i do, so ill trust their judgement...

even though its hard not to get all xbox armchair coach...

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 09:34 PM
lol hey man Im in the same boat with you on the Xbox thing...he's actually not too slow on NCAA 08...I like running that HB option with him and Murray :)

stoopified
10/21/2007, 10:08 PM
I thought we could have used a trick play against Colorado or Iowa St.

Remember the Alabama fake FG those were the days! :DWe drpped 6 passes,a punt and three oskies in that CU game,what makes you think we COULD HAVE properly executed a trick play?As for ISU,we turned the ball over too much there as well to risk a trick play.In both those games IF we EXECUTE OUr base offense and don't turn the ball over we win big.Trying to run trick plays when you are having turnover problems is a recipe for disaster.

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 10:34 PM
I can't believe that some of you fellow Sooner fans think that Stoops will not run trick plays anymore....come on now remember who this guy is ppl...he's just waiting patiently for the right time and I guarantee all of you doubters that he has something exciting up his sleeve...how could he not? especially with all the athletes on the team... but he's just waiting on that certain "moment" ya know....if you put yourselves in Stoops' shoes in the Colorado game I just don't see anyone(besides Les maybe lol j/k) who would take the risk of running a trick play in that close of a ballgame...he was trying to get the W and plus OU hardly got on the field in the second half of that game and I know he was just sticking with the boring stuff that got them up by three touches at the half way point...the fact of the matter is when Stoops wants to pull a trick up his sleeve....he'll wait until a time when no one sees it coming...kindof like the fake field goal in Mizzou in 2000...

Widescreen
10/21/2007, 11:46 PM
What I tend to forget is that sometimes when playcalling doesn't make sense, it's because something is being set up for use later in a game. An example is in the Tulsa game, we were running certain routes to pull their corners in trying to jump a route and then we sent Iglesias on a double move down the sideline. That kind of stuff happens a lot while we're griping about "why do we keep running into the line when it obviously isn't working?" Sometimes there's a method to the madness. Like I said, I forget about this aspect of playcalling because, when it comes to football x's and o's, I'm pretty much a dumas.

Leroy Lizard
10/22/2007, 12:24 AM
Sometimes a play call doesn't make sense because the defense does its job.

You give the RB a handoff up the middle. The defense does a great job and stuff it. The OC is criticized for being "too predictable."

The same play ten minutes later goes the distance because an offensive lineman does his job and creates the gap. The OC is praised for "playing to the strength of the team."

It's what an old coach once said: You create a sophisticated play and practice it for weeks, and it only works because the defender falls down.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 01:48 AM
I think we have a fair number of trick plays buried deep in the playbook, but we've not been in the right situation to use the ones we have.

Besides...when did reverses and double reverses cease to be trick plays? What do we have to do? Run a statue of liberty every other play? Maybe pull out a fumblerooskie?

yermom
10/22/2007, 03:27 AM
We drpped 6 passes,a punt and three oskies in that CU game,what makes you think we COULD HAVE properly executed a trick play?As for ISU,we turned the ball over too much there as well to risk a trick play.In both those games IF we EXECUTE OUr base offense and don't turn the ball over we win big.Trying to run trick plays when you are having turnover problems is a recipe for disaster.

this is exactly my point.

if we are executing and just need a spark or a change up or something, then we'd run one