PDA

View Full Version : OU may end up having two ranked opponents...

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 03:02 PM
on their regular season schedule by game time in 2 weeks...A&M is receiving votes and so is OSU...I hate these 2 teams, but I hope they do jump into the Top 25, that will give us a much better SOS...Not to be to optomistic, but Tech is still a very good team that could be ranked by the end of the season, especially if they beat Texas...

85sooners
10/21/2007, 03:31 PM
lets hope we need it

man00
10/21/2007, 03:42 PM
lets hope we can beat them

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 03:44 PM

You need to talk to your Dr. and have him put you on Paxil...You remind of Eore(sp?) from winnie the pooh...

NickZepp? whoever you are, go away....

OU Adonis
10/21/2007, 03:47 PM

They are no Iowa State thats for sure.

man00
10/21/2007, 03:48 PM
You need to talk to your Dr. and have him put you on Paxil...You remind of Eore(sp?) from winnie the pooh...

NickZepp? whoever you are, go away....
Are you saying you hope we don't beat them? Not much of a OU fan if so

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 03:58 PM
Are you saying you hope we don't beat them? Not much of a OU fan if so

No, I am saying we beat them...ISU was one game, and now you are doubting the legitmacy of this team...We have played well all season, and played a really bad game, and bad team, but we did win...This late in the season, you cant expect to beat teams by 40+ points, but getting the win is the most important thing...

I have been reading your posts the last couple of days, you are one negative individual...

How long have you been an OU fan?...since 2000?...I doubt you stuck around for many games in the 90's...I have been through the thick and thin of this team...

Zing
10/21/2007, 04:14 PM
Bah, man00 is just a troll. Pay him no mind.

On the actual subject of the thread, though, I think that the only way OU has more ranked opponents is if one of the regular season opponents plays and beats Kansas. Even then, I don't think it'll help them much.

As for me, I'm perfectly fine playing unranked opponents the rest of the year so long as we get a CCG with a top 10 team. Might finally give the Big XII a little respect when their division champs are touted, and it'll help us in the computers.

Mark_of_Tulsa
10/21/2007, 05:08 PM
With the computers does a 4 and 3 team that is ranked #15 help our SOS more than a 6 and 1 team that is not ranked?

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 05:11 PM
With the computers does a 4 and 3 team that is ranked #15 help our SOS more than a 6 and 1 team that is not ranked?

What exactly are you asking? I hope you are being sarcastic...

josh09
10/21/2007, 05:13 PM
on their regular season schedule by game time in 2 weeks...A&M is receiving votes and so is OSU...I hate these 2 teams, but I hope they do jump into the Top 25, that will give us a much better SOS...Not to be to optomistic, but Tech is still a very good team that could be ranked by the end of the season, especially if they beat Texas...

Oh i thought you meant total for a second, not just our remaining schedule.

I was gonna say.... :)

man00
10/21/2007, 05:45 PM
No, I am saying we beat them...ISU was one game, and now you are doubting the legitmacy of this team...We have played well all season, and played a really bad game, and bad team, but we did win...This late in the season, you cant expect to beat teams by 40+ points, but getting the win is the most important thing...

I have been reading your posts the last couple of days, you are one negative individual...

How long have you been an OU fan?...since 2000?...I doubt you stuck around for many games in the 90's...I have been through the thick and thin of this team...
ISU may be just one game but what was Colorado? We don't count that game?
OU isn't good enough to not play their best to beat OSU, Tech and A&M

Newbomb Turk
10/21/2007, 05:46 PM
ISU may be just one game but what was Colorado?

that would also be one game.

josh09
10/21/2007, 05:48 PM
that would also be one game.

Haha nice one. :D

man00
10/21/2007, 05:55 PM
yeah one game OU would like to forget

Newbomb Turk
10/21/2007, 05:56 PM
yeah one game OU would like to forget

better than having three games to forget.

Mark_of_Tulsa
10/21/2007, 06:17 PM
What exactly are you asking? I hope you are being sarcastic...

No I'm serious. I know with voters beating a ranked team is always good. But on the computer rankings do they take into account if it's a ranked team. That's why I asked does a 4 and 3 team that is ranked help our SOS more than a 6 and 1 team that is not.

Because on paper beating a 6 and 1 team over and 4 and 3 helps us out mathmaticly unless in the computer polls we get a bonus for it being ranked.

Cam
10/21/2007, 06:22 PM
My guess is that most of them don't care if the team is ranked or not, they look at their record and their opponents record.

I think it depends on the model. Billingsley, for example, had Michigan one spot ahead of OU last week. My guess is that the loss to Appy State doesn't count since they're 1AA, so they're treated like a one loss team.

FirstandGoal
10/21/2007, 06:25 PM
I think it depends on the model. Billingsley, for example, had Michigan one spot ahead of OU last week. My guess is that the loss to Appy State doesn't count since they're 1AA, so they're treated like a one loss team.

Wait a minute here......

Are you saying that there is seriously a pole that rewards a team for a 1AA loss????? :confused:

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 10:16 PM
No I'm serious. I know with voters beating a ranked team is always good. But on the computer rankings do they take into account if it's a ranked team. That's why I asked does a 4 and 3 team that is ranked help our SOS more than a 6 and 1 team that is not.

Because on paper beating a 6 and 1 team over and 4 and 3 helps us out mathmaticly unless in the computer polls we get a bonus for it being ranked.

I got you now...I thought you were using that new fangled sarcasm everyone is trying....J/K...

Most computer models and human polls weigh more heavily if a team is ranked or not...i.e. the SEC...Almost every team in the SEC has 2 losses and they are still ranked higher than a lot of 1 loss teams...

To answer your question, yes, a team being ranked is more important than actual wins/losses...So far OU has beaten 2 ranked opponents, and if OSU and A&M continue to win they will be ranked...Also, it looks like if OU continues to win out, we will play a top 15 ranked opponent in the CCG...

Boomer Sooner!

utex74
10/22/2007, 12:19 AM

It comes with the territory. We have them, too. We beat Baylor, who I think is better than ISU, by 21 and the team is catching hell from all the second guessers and new (since 2005) fans. I want all of our games to be blow outs, too but as long as we win I am not going to complain too loudly. Just win, Baby.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 01:57 AM
I need to really research the way some of the computers figure their ranking. I realize that margin of victory was cut from all of them, but do the computers take other game stats into account?

Example: The computer has to ignore the fact that we only win by 3 or win by 50, but don't they look at stats like total yardage, total defense, total points, etc.?

Anyone an expert on this and have any input?

mOUse
10/25/2007, 09:35 AM
A win against a couple of ranked teams will help with SOS but most of the BCS teams shedule harder games late in the season anyway.

What I am noticing is the blatant denial of KU to be a top 10 team being undefeated in a Major BCS conference. The fact that a one loss ACC team ranked higher than an undefeated Big12 team more than half way through the season cries EAST COAST BIAS!!! I mean if BC who has one decent win against Gtech who now has 3 losses, and they are ranked 2nd, what with keeping KU out of the top 10!

When VT beats BC, they will recieve a .9 quality win bonus point for beating the #2 BCS team. This will vault them Over OU.

The fact that they are keeping KU out of the top ten is keeping KU out of the top 5 in the BCS rankings. I suppose that if KU beats Missou, that will do the trick and it could be timely for OU. Why? Because:

1) either BC or VT will loose and at this stage in the game will drop lower than KU.
2) Either Oregon or ASU will loose, which will drop one of them below KU.

This will also allow Mizzou to move up to near the top 10.
This will mean whoever would win out of KU and Mizzou, we will be guarranteed bonus points for a quality win against a top 10 team. If OU plays KU they will benefit most because KU will likely vault to top 5-6 status after bonus points for beating Mizzou. If Mizzou wins, OU's SOS will be better, and after gaining .5 or .6 bonus points will be a guarranteed 8-10 BCS rank.

This makes the B12 Championship game a meaning full one. More meaningfull if the play an undefeated KU who would be worth .6-.8 bonus points!!! They would definitely jump a 1 loss OSU, USC, Cal, BC and even VT team. I dont think It would jump a 1 loss LSU team.

So basically, 2 of the three teams ranked above OU in the AP poll, need to loose for OU to be in (in my opinion). However, I am worried about Oregon winning out and gaining more bonus points than OU which would put OU back out. So, I think all three teams ranked above OU must loose 1 for OU to get in the BCS CC game. If only 2 loose then depending on the outcome of the BCS game, if either one of those teams that wins has 1 loss, then depending on who OU plays and how badly OU wins against them, there could be another split National Championship. AP voting one way and BCS outcome another. I wonder, if that happened, would OU do what USC did or would they submit publicly to the BCS winner?

I'm tired, I gonna quit typing now!:O :D

jdsooner
10/25/2007, 02:17 PM
I agree that osu is a RANK opponent!

Outopia
10/25/2007, 04:39 PM
Tech is the best team left on the schedule, followed by A&M. Bringing up the rear would be lOSUr and Baylor. I would assume only Tech might be ranked when OU plays them. A&M is a reach, but maybe. OSU not so much, and NO WAY Baylor. We should hope that an undefeated Kansas makes the CCG and that we can beat them, not to mention win all of our remaining games. If I had to bet with my life on the line, I would only bet on Tech being ranked before the CCG. I agree with mOUse, with all the SEC love, we don't jump a 1-loss LSU.