PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article About 'The Sooners"

Blues1
10/21/2007, 11:51 AM
Their are some Sports Writers that see "The Whole Picture" ---- :)

LINK

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ApiAw2QYaJxWLX7R.gvkAJAcvrYF?slug=despit elapsessoonersarea&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Keep R'

adoniijahsooner
10/21/2007, 12:55 PM
Nice write up on the sooners, i honestly think the bye week is going to allow the coaches to fix things that need fixing (special teams and offensive line play), and I believe we will see a rejuvinated and improved sooner team when aTM comes to town.

SoonerBOI
10/21/2007, 01:11 PM
That said it all. VERY NICE ARTICLE. Thanks for posting it!

stoopified
10/21/2007, 02:21 PM
Other than a couple of factual errors
Error 1)OU has 4 conference titles not 3(2000,'02,'04,'06)
Error 2) OU has 5 BCS apearences not 4((Orange,Rose,Sugar,Orange,Fiesta)
It was a very good article.

Stitch Face
10/21/2007, 02:33 PM
I can easily see OU going all the way. But the team is relatively young, a little inconsistent, and we could hiccup again and lose one to anyone left on our schedule- Tech, OSU, the Big XII North champ, whoever ends up in the title game. That's why this season is so great, including games like yesterday's. A lot of hope and potential, with every game bringing the unknown.

SoonerEmpire
10/21/2007, 02:39 PM
I certainly hope we make it to the NC game. In fact, I think we will, despite the fact that the BCS projection site has us dropped from #5 to #6. But if we make it to the NC game, we BETTER win it. I don't care who we play. It has been said that it's better to play for a NC and lose than not to have played for one at all. While I agree with that statement, I am also fearful of it. If we play for another NC and lose, that's 3 times losing out of the last 4 tries. We will be considered the Buffalo Bills of college football. And that hurts.

So, if we make it (and I think we will), we absolutely MUST win this thing. Not just for the glory of #8, but also for our reputation.

bcgvh
10/21/2007, 03:49 PM
You guys are right, I like our chances to get to the title game, but if we lose another one we are in fact the biggest joke in college football. Heck, if we make it to ANY BCS bowl, we MUST win!!!

rubyspirit
10/21/2007, 03:55 PM
"If that's not the best team in the nation, then it's one of the best," says Iowa State coach Gene Chizik.

I like him. Oh, and the guy who wrote the article too. LOL!

Stitch Face
10/21/2007, 04:01 PM
You guys are right, I like our chances to get to the title game, but if we lose another one we are in fact the biggest joke in college football.

Heaven forbid a team should ever play a game and not win it. :rolleyes:

rubyspirit
10/21/2007, 04:54 PM
So, if we make it (and I think we will), we absolutely MUST win this thing. Not just for the glory of #8, but also for our reputation.
Very true ... OU doesn't play hard and DIRTY as some of the other teams. LSU is a hard bunch. They were pulling face masks and tackling late as if to hurt players.

OU doesn't play with a killer mentality. We try to win on good play.

adoniijahsooner
10/21/2007, 05:37 PM
Very true ... OU doesn't play hard and DIRTY as some of the other teams. LSU is a hard bunch. They were pulling face masks and tackling late as if to hurt players.

This may need to change in order for us to be dominant. We were letting ISU players push after plays were over.

Frozen Sooner
10/21/2007, 05:41 PM
Other than a couple of factual errors
Error 1)OU has 4 conference titles not 3(2000,'02,'04,'06)
Error 2) OU has 5 BCS apearences not 4((Orange,Rose,Sugar,Orange,Fiesta)
It was a very good article.

Technically, he was correct. 2000 was not part of this decade, as year numbering began at 1.

But yeah. :D

SoonerEmpire
10/21/2007, 05:44 PM
This may need to change in order for us to be dominant. We were letting ISU players push after plays were over.

I disagree. I believe we can be just as dominant and play with a killer mentality without resorting to playing dirty. If you have to play dirty in order to be dominant, then you clearly are not very dominant. We can win on good play and be just as dominant as the next guy. We pretty much dominated most of the teams we played in 2000 when we won the NC without having to be a "dirty" team. The final scores in some of the games didn't indicate "domination" but the statistics did.

bcgvh
10/21/2007, 07:07 PM
Heaven forbid a team should ever play a game and not win it. :rolleyes:

Were you born yesterday?

EnidHighSooner
10/21/2007, 07:30 PM
That guy knows what he's talking about

Sooner02
10/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Obviously, he doesn't work for ESPN.

SoonerKnight
10/21/2007, 08:48 PM
That was a good article. :)

StoopTroup
10/21/2007, 08:51 PM
You guys are right, I like our chances to get to the title game, but if we lose another one we are in fact the biggest joke in college football. Heck, if we make it to ANY BCS bowl, we MUST win!!!
What?

I'm gonna go get me a beer and calm down.

stoopified
10/21/2007, 09:02 PM
Technically, he was correct. 2000 was not part of this decade, as year numbering began at 1.

But yeah. :DI thought that at first but he mentioned 2000 NC.In my view the '90's ended in '99 and the oughts (and this decade) run from 2000-2009.at least that is the way I've always viewed the decades.

cheezyq
10/22/2007, 12:00 AM

Apparently someone on that coaching staff comes from the Belicheat school of defense. "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. Hit late, tug on jerseys while you're running down the field with the WR, jam WRs down the field...it's all good. If we cheat enough, the refs can't possibly call a penalty on EVERY play."

Actually what annoys me about LouSUr the most is the constant showboating after each and every play....yet another Belicheat specialty.

;) Sorry I don't buy into the Patriots dynasty crap. But that's just me.

Texas Golfer
10/22/2007, 12:09 AM
Who in the North is gonna beat OU?

Well, Colorado did and the other two North teams we've played beat the spread against us. And we don't have to play Kansas (until the championship game).

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 02:07 AM
Here's my issue with that article, not so much the article as with Chizik...He says we're the best team in the nation and if not, one of the best...SO WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE VOTE US #1?????????

For that matter, why haven't several of the opposing coaches voted us #1?

Leroy Lizard
10/22/2007, 03:17 AM
Because like most coaches, Chizik doesn't believe a word he says. It's just feel-good statements all coaches make after a game. Like when your boss begins a meeting by saying how much he appreciates your effort.

OU4LIFE
10/22/2007, 07:02 AM
Were you born yesterday?

I doubt he was or he wouldn't be able to post in threads quite yet. Your birth date might be the one in question however. In all seriousness, if we go to the title game AGAIN, and we happen to lose, and you feel like we are the biggest joke, then all you have to do is walk down the street and get you some flaming Orange gear and become a state fan.

If you become HALF as successful in life as this program has been this decade, you'll be doing pretty damn well.

Ask Notre Dame if they'd like to trade places with us right now.

oh, and you're a moran.

bcgvh
10/23/2007, 12:28 AM
I doubt he was or he wouldn't be able to post in threads quite yet. Your birth date might be the one in question however. In all seriousness, if we go to the title game AGAIN, and we happen to lose, and you feel like we are the biggest joke, then all you have to do is walk down the street and get you some flaming Orange gear and become a state fan.

If you become HALF as successful in life as this program has been this decade, you'll be doing pretty damn well.

Ask Notre Dame if they'd like to trade places with us right now.

oh, and you're a moran.

Oh really? I remember when OU was feared 'round the country, you really think that's still the case? Why don't you talk to fans outside the Sooner Nation and hear what they think about us! You're going to get a lot of responses that go something like this..."OU has no business playing in BCS bowl games anymore because they are over-rated every year due to their weak schedule. They play terrible teams in a bad conference and end up in a BCS bowl every year just to get embarrassed over and over again, when teams that deserve to be in those games are getting screwed because of OU's weak schedule." That's what people are saying, and I've heard it a million times. No one cares about 2000 anymore, they only care about the last couple of years, and our bowl streak hasn't been too impressive in the recent past. I will argue that we are the most successful programs of the decade, but people around the country think we're over-rated. It's that simple, and that's the point I was trying to make. SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Oh...and it's spelled "morOn", not "morAn", genius.

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2007, 01:10 AM
Oh really? I remember when OU was feared 'round the country, you really think that's still the case? Why don't you talk to fans outside the Sooner Nation and hear what they think about us! You're going to get a lot of responses that go something like this..."OU has no business playing in BCS bowl games anymore because they are over-rated every year due to their weak schedule. They play terrible teams in a bad conference and end up in a BCS bowl every year just to get embarrassed over and over again, when teams that deserve to be in those games are getting screwed because of OU's weak schedule." That's what people are saying, and I've heard it a million times. No one cares about 2000 anymore, they only care about the last couple of years, and our bowl streak hasn't been too impressive in the recent past. I will argue that we are the most successful programs of the decade, but people around the country think we're over-rated. It's that simple, and that's the point I was trying to make. SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Overrated is one word, genius.

And for the record, moran is something that's been kicking around OU boards since 1997 or so. Do a Google search on "Wyandotte Wildcat."

Leroy Lizard
10/23/2007, 02:09 AM
Why don't you talk to fans outside the Sooner Nation and hear what they think about us!

Actually, the people I have talked to think we have a very good, if not great, team. I think Sooner fans are the ones that think we have huge problems. We see the sky falling after the ISU game, but a lot of other fans think OU's struggle was no big deal. It isn't like OU was the first quality team to beat a cellar dweller by only ten points.

Leroy Lizard
10/23/2007, 02:17 AM
"OU has no business playing in BCS bowl games anymore because they are over-rated every year due to their weak schedule. They play terrible teams in a bad conference and end up in a BCS bowl every year just to get embarrassed over and over again, when teams that deserve to be in those games are getting screwed because of OU's weak schedule."

You mean, the fans of other teams are going to be mad at our team? That's terrible!

OU4LIFE
10/23/2007, 06:38 AM

*pointing and laughing*

n00b.