PDA

View Full Version : The media has a hard time comprehending a simple fact about our close games

MamaMia
10/21/2007, 11:26 AM
This especially applies to the away games.

Do these men not realize that when its time to play Oklahoma those teams bring out all the artillery they have? We play each and every game, home and away, with a huge target on their backs. Those games sell out when we come to Whatever Town USA and their fans just turn absolutely rabid when the OU Sooners come out of those locker rooms. Their coaches and players get all pumped up and start preparing for us at Spring practice. They bring out all the new and tricky plays they have under their belt when their playing us. We have to fight hard each and every game. Any win under the circumstances we play against by just being Oklahoma is an accomplishment that should be respected.

fadada1
10/21/2007, 11:29 AM
sounds about right. it's good to be one of the elite programs.

WxGuy1
10/21/2007, 11:36 AM

Do these men not realize that when its time to play Oklahoma those teams bring out all the artillery they have? We play each and every game, home and away, with a huge target on their backs. Those games sells out when we come to Whatever Town USA and their fans just turn absolutely rabid when the OU Sooners come out of those locker rooms. Their coaches and players get all pumped up and start preparing for us at Spring practice. They bring out all the new and tricky plays they have under their belt when their playing us. We have to fight hard each and every game. Any win under the circumstances we play against by just being Oklahoma is an accomplishment that should be respected.

The same can be said of ANY highly-ranked team. Though it may not be stated, I think it's generally understand that, if you are a Top 10 teams, your opponent will be gunnin' for ya. That partially how upsets happen (assuming the better team doesn't beat itself). Teams bring their A-games against LSU, BC, Ohio State, etc. In this regard, OU is no different. Good teams can play through that, however.

Big Red Ron
10/21/2007, 11:40 AM
The same can be said of ANY highly-ranked team. Though it may not be stated, I think it's generally understand that, if you are a Top 10 teams, your opponent will be gunnin' for ya. That partially how upsets happen (assuming the better team doesn't beat itself). Teams bring their A-games against LSU, BC, Ohio State, etc. In this regard, OU is no different. Good teams can play through that, however.Not really but we certainly shouldn't be punished for playing through it as we have. Anyone remember the mirical luckeyes of 2001-2002?

Partial Qualifier
10/21/2007, 11:42 AM
How do you have 1 post and already off the scale... one bad dude? I thought it was a decent post.. not earth-shattering but not negworthy

:confused:

douxpaysan
10/21/2007, 11:44 AM
Yea...Superman had to wear that big Son his chest. Had to inspire the villains to do their dirty deeds.

WxGuy1
10/21/2007, 11:51 AM
Again, every highly-ranked team has to play through the same stuff we do. It's no different in the SEC or Pac-10 than it is in the Big 12. Football would be boring if the underdog just layed down and let the higher-ranked team pounce all over them.

However, the good teams still put up big numbers on MOST of the unranked teams they play. I'm a fan of OU, obviously, and I hope they win out, but let's not be too unrealistic. OU almost lost to a 1-6 Iowa State team, and we did lose to an unranked Colorado team. I'm pretty confident in saying that, given our play the past 4 weeks, we'll probably lose out once more again. I haven't been too impressed with our offense during any of our conference games so far, and I just hope we don't get lit up in Lubbock in a few weeks. If we win out, I could see us playing in a BCS game, but I don't think the NC is in our cards unless we get some fortunate breaks. I've defended our rankings a lot in the past 5-6 years, and I've argued like crazy that we should always be ranked higher. However, after choking in some of our recent BCS bowl games (against USC, LSU, Boise State, etc), I don't think we're a very good 'big bowl' team (which is typically the fault of the coaching staff when it happens several years in half a dozen). Given the way we've played lately, do you really think we could compete against OSU? Maybe if our offense returns to its pre-conference-schedule status...

PS -- No need to neg me just because I share a different opinion than you. Apparently I'm not allowed to post anything except "WOW, OU RULEZZZZ!!!!one!!1!. CHAMPIONSHIP ALL DA WAY!!!"?

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 11:53 AM
How do you have 1 post and already off the scale... one bad dude? I thought it was a decent post.. not earth-shattering but not negworthy

:confused:I fixed him.:)

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 11:57 AM
This is the beauty of CFB. Any team can win, any team can lose. Thank God its not like the money only NFL.

douxpaysan
10/21/2007, 11:57 AM
I fixed him.:)
Me too....I smell an aggie.

colleyvillesooner
10/21/2007, 12:04 PM
Again, every highly-ranked team has to play through the same stuff we do. It's no different in the SEC or Pac-10 than it is in the Big 12. Football would be boring if the underdog just layed down and let the higher-ranked team pounce all over them.

However, the good teams still put up big numbers on MOST of the unranked teams they play. I'm a fan of OU, obviously, and I hope they win out, but let's not be too unrealistic. OU almost lost to a 1-6 Iowa State team, and we did lose to an unranked Colorado team. I'm pretty confident in saying that, given our play the past 4 weeks, we'll probably lose out once more again. I haven't been too impressed with our offense during any of our conference games so far, and I just hope we don't get lit up in Lubbock in a few weeks. If we win out, I could see us playing in a BCS game, but I don't think the NC is in our cards unless we get some fortunate breaks. I've defended our rankings a lot in the past 5-6 years, and I've argued like crazy that we should always be ranked higher. However, after choking in some of our recent BCS bowl games (against USC, LSU, Boise State, etc), I don't think we're a very good 'big bowl' team (which is typically the fault of the coaching staff when it happens several years in half a dozen). Given the way we've played lately, do you really think we could compete against OSU? Maybe if our offense returns to its pre-conference-schedule status...

PS -- No need to neg me just because I share a different opinion than you. Apparently I'm not allowed to post anything except "WOW, OU RULEZZZZ!!!!one!!1!. CHAMPIONSHIP ALL DA WAY!!!"?

I think our offense was pretty good against Texas and Mizzou.

Can't compete against OSU?? This same OSU that couldn't stop Troy, or Tech or k state? I like our chances in Norman against that D.

emoinwinter
10/21/2007, 12:27 PM
If we win out, I could see us playing in a BCS game

If we win out = Big 12 champs = AUTOMATIC BCS game

I'm pretty sure that if we win out, we WILL be in a BCS game

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 12:29 PM
Me too....I smell an aggie.And I thought the cat had crapped behind the couch again.

SoonerStormchaser
10/21/2007, 12:41 PM
Most of the pollsters and talking heads are just like Mike Lup1ca...they only look at the score and don't bother to think about anything else.

Of course, lest we forget that these same morons are smoking LSU's collective pole because their coach made the stupidest SOB move of the year and it ended up actually working.

Vaevictis
10/21/2007, 12:58 PM
OU almost lost to a 1-6 Iowa State team, and we did lose to an unranked Colorado team.

Is it really almost losing when you beat a team by ten points, allowing only one score the entire game?

Scoregasm
10/21/2007, 12:59 PM
If we win out, we'll go to the Big 12 Championship game and a BCS, which will be for the National Championship. The target on us gets bigger every week, but that's the nature of the game. I'd rather have it that way than to be a fan of UT or OSU or any of the teams relegated to play for second place in the Big 12 South.

toneful
10/21/2007, 01:12 PM
Don't buy it. Other top teams face same adversity every week.

85sooners
10/21/2007, 01:27 PM
And I thought the cat had crapped behind the couch again.lol

handcrafted
10/21/2007, 01:36 PM
Doesn't it warm your Sooner heart that the rest of the conference seems to respect us a TON lot more than the whorns? WE are the one that everyone gameplans, whether it's changing up defenses, trickeration, or whatever. saxeT doesn't get that treatment nearly as often, which is why they crush the weaker teams on the road more than we do.

Oh, and upon further review, the 'clone game was nothing like the buffy game. In Ames the D really stuffed 'em but good. It was lack of offensive execution that made it as close as it was. If we can ever, EVAR, find a way to not come out emotionally flat in road games (esp. in conference), we would be very difficult to stop.

swardboy
10/21/2007, 01:39 PM
....but our close games never fail to bring on the trolls!

sitzpinkler
10/21/2007, 03:11 PM

Do these men not realize that when its time to play Oklahoma those teams bring out all the artillery they have? We play each and every game, home and away, with a huge target on their backs. Those games sells out when we come to Whatever Town USA and their fans just turn absolutely rabid when the OU Sooners come out of those locker rooms. Their coaches and players get all pumped up and start preparing for us at Spring practice. They bring out all the new and tricky plays they have under their belt when their playing us. We have to fight hard each and every game. Any win under the circumstances we play against by just being Oklahoma is an accomplishment that should be respected.

The same can be said for Texas and look what they did Iowa State last week.

tbl
10/21/2007, 03:37 PM
Is it really almost losing when you beat a team by ten points, allowing only one score the entire game?
Come on... you saw that game. You know the point is valid. They could have been up 17-0 without us getting some lucky breaks. Yeah, yeah... I know it WASN'T... but it could've been.

Vaevictis
10/21/2007, 04:29 PM
Come on... you saw that game. You know the point is valid. They could have been up 17-0 without us getting some lucky breaks. Yeah, yeah... I know it WASN'T... but it could've been.

Yeah, I saw the game. And one of the things I saw was that we had three turnovers, and despite that, they only scored 7 points. I submit that our defense doing a pretty good job has at least as much to do with the results as "us getting some lucky breaks."

Did we struggle? Sure. But to call it "almost losing" is an exaggeration.

WxGuy1
10/21/2007, 04:43 PM
I think our offense was pretty good against Texas and Mizzou.

Can't compete against OSU?? This same OSU that couldn't stop Troy, or Tech or k state? I like our chances in Norman against that D.

My bad... I was referring to Ohio State, not Oklahoma State.

UTsucks
10/21/2007, 04:54 PM

You took the words out of my mouth.

I agree 100% !

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 05:06 PM

Should have, Could have, Would have...Those are the key phrases for an Aggie...OU won, Iowa State lost...

OU played poorly on offense, had multiple game changing turnovers, Sam couldnt judge the speed of the wind gusts and our team played with zero emotions...Having said that, OU's defense picked up the slack and won...

rubyspirit
10/21/2007, 05:07 PM
The same can be said for Texas and look what they did Iowa State last week.
Texas doesn't have the same awe across the nation as Oklahoma.

sitzpinkler
10/21/2007, 05:12 PM
Texas doesn't have the same awe across the nation as Oklahoma.

if you say so

josh09
10/21/2007, 05:21 PM

Do these men not realize that when its time to play Oklahoma those teams bring out all the artillery they have? We play each and every game, home and away, with a huge target on their backs. Those games sell out when we come to Whatever Town USA and their fans just turn absolutely rabid when the OU Sooners come out of those locker rooms. Their coaches and players get all pumped up and start preparing for us at Spring practice. They bring out all the new and tricky plays they have under their belt when their playing us. We have to fight hard each and every game. Any win under the circumstances we play against by just being Oklahoma is an accomplishment that should be respected.

I think this sums everything up perfectly.

silverwheels
10/21/2007, 05:25 PM
So we're supposed to be given a little leeway because we're so good that other teams play way above their heads against us? Doesn't make sense, especially since we looked like crap yesterday against the 2nd-worst team in the conference, who lost to Northern Iowa at home.