PDA

View Full Version : 2 Positives to Take Away from Yesterday

htownsooner7
10/21/2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I know it was Iowa State and the performance as a whole, left something to be desired but..

2 very positive things happened yesterday which could be very important as we march forward.

We were on the road in a difficult game and: (1) our offensive line dominated the second half and took control of the pace of the game and (2) our kicker made a big kick (in a tough wind, no less) when the outcome of the game was very much still in question.

That's the silver lining for me. We won and life's too short to agonize over games, especially when we win.

Boomer Sooner.

fadada1
10/21/2007, 08:27 AM
one positive... i don't need to buy a new OU hat. i thought i was going to tear it up in frustration (just because it was the closest thing that there was to break).

OUHOMER
10/21/2007, 08:57 AM
one positive... i don't need to buy a new OU hat. i thought i was going to tear it up in frustration (just because it was the closest thing that there was to break).

I almost had to buy a new remote control, a new phone, thought about killing the cat as a sacrifice. :eek:

stoopified
10/21/2007, 09:12 AM
THE ANSWER came through in the clutch.Sam had the worst game in his career(the 8-19 performance at CU was do mostly to 6 drops),at one point was 10-21 passing.At CRUNCH TIME though he was 6-7 passing in leading us to the go ahead TD and clinching FG.

StoopTroup
10/21/2007, 09:15 AM
3. OUr Defense kept ISU out of the EZ for the last three quarters of the game.

colleyvillesooner
10/21/2007, 09:20 AM
Our defense won that game...

medstudent24
10/21/2007, 10:29 AM
I dont think you can take away anything positive for the offense at all. Running game was mediocre, passing game was awful.

Defense played well though and maybe Hartley is over the hump on his kicking problems. I sure hope so, because he could be the difference between winning and losing the tough games ahead on our schedule.

TUSooner
10/21/2007, 10:42 AM
Glean all the positives you want. As far as I'm concerned, the only positive is that we had more points at the end of the game than they did.
I can hardly wait for our resident BSC critics to start whining about how we get treated this week. They will need to remember that we played anm dull, uninspired, unfocused game and came within a bouce or 2 of losing to one of the worst teams in the nation. Frankly, I have very little confidence that we could beat Auburn, LSU, or Florida the way we just played; so any decent rankings we get are a pure gift.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/21/2007, 10:56 AM
It was brain-dead game # 2 this year, but we DID pull it out.

htownsooner7
10/21/2007, 05:30 PM
You guys are missing the point, here. We also played terrible against CU but if Reggie catches that punt (or a number of other things happen) and we wouldn't even remember the game at this point. You would just remember that it was an ugly win. So too, here. 4 weeks from now we will just remember this as an ugly win. That being said, embrace the positives, learn from the negatives and get better at executing. You can continue to dwell but that's a miserable way of spending a football season.

AzianSooner
10/21/2007, 05:35 PM
In 2004, OU won so many games easiliy and broken down in NC game with USC.

These tough games on the road just give our players more resilient, toughness, and fighting spirit.

man00
10/21/2007, 05:47 PM
In 2004, OU won so many games easiliy and broken down in NC game with USC.

These tough games on the road just give our players more resilient, toughness, and fighting spirit.
USC was a Super Team and "THEY" broke OU down

85sooners
10/21/2007, 06:36 PM
we won

usmc-sooner
10/21/2007, 07:27 PM
I really don't consider a road game against a 1-7 ISU, a tough road game.

KantoSooner
10/21/2007, 07:40 PM
Here's two positives:
1. No fumbles
2. Much better kick coverage (what there was of it)

Maybe both are due to the opposition, but still, those were things I am sure were focused upon in practice and it seems to have worked.

The rest, it seems to me, was simple lack of fire/focus/intensity what have you. That can be fixed, but is a troubling pattern for OU in recent years. What does it take to get guys fired up to START games hard and keep going? It seems to take us 2-3 quarters to get in gear.

usmc-sooner
10/21/2007, 07:46 PM
Here's two positives:
1. No fumbles
2. Much better kick coverage (what there was of it)

Maybe both are due to the opposition, but still, those were things I am sure were focused upon in practice and it seems to have worked.

The rest, it seems to me, was simple lack of fire/focus/intensity what have you. That can be fixed, but is a troubling pattern for OU in recent years. What does it take to get guys fired up to START games hard and keep going? It seems to take us 2-3 quarters to get in gear.

did you watch the game? we had 2 fumbles :D

cvsooner
10/21/2007, 07:54 PM
I think he meant no fumbled kicks.

Having said that, Patrick's fumble is somewhat excusable. Head hits ball...it squirts out. Murray's fumble...just a stupid, not taking care of the ball fumble.

The worst part of the turnovers we had, in my opinion, was their location. It's one thing to fumble on the other team's five yard line and something else far more potentially disastrous at your own 30.

KantoSooner
10/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Gah, my bad. What I meant was no INT's (I don't count the one that bounced off the receiver's chest).
I plead that it is morning here and I'm not awake yet.
And, no I didn't watch the game: we don't get the video here. Just radio on the internet.
Soooorrrrry.

okiewaker
10/21/2007, 08:00 PM
two positives is we didn't fumble it three times and brown has emerged as a sure handed ball carrier. Also, our O line might have played well in the second half, but it is a first and second half game!

Soonerus
10/21/2007, 08:07 PM
Funny because Brown was the fumbler earlier this year...

ruf/nekdad
10/21/2007, 08:12 PM
I had an interesting perspective on this game. I caught the last half first. Both teams looked very good. Granted I have not seen the first half yet. Not sure I want to. But the defense, Chris Brown and most of the offense looked good in what appeared to be a tough game. A lapse of concentration by the offense with what was supposed to be a cupcake and an off day by SB looked to be the problem. These are understandable problems. IMHO.

Crucifax Autumn
10/22/2007, 02:27 AM
I think our D was the positive. We pretty much kicked them around and then had a fantastic play to polish 'em off when they were close to winning. Our offense had an off day, but came through in the end. Overall I think we all know our offense is awesome when they play a typical game and now Our D is starting to show the things we expect from them. Tough in the red zone, making plays at the right times, showing some swagger and intimidation, and making QBs look scared in the pocket. Not to metion they held a team who was obviously on a mission to a mere 7 points on what was really a gimme from an inattentive offense where Loadholt SHOULD have noticed what was going on and turned and fell on the ball.

This game and the lessons we learned, combined with a week off to rest and work on fundamentals will turn out to be the thing that gets us into the top 2 in the BCS.