PDA

View Full Version : Long grass

douxpaysan
10/20/2007, 11:56 PM
Did anyone else notice how high the grass was today. I told Mrs. Douxpaysan that I could barely see the players shoes. I understand that they mowed the field right after the game. Strange, you would think they were scared of our team speed. I hesitate to complain since June Jones whined like a baby last week at San Jose State but I never have been one to suffer in silence. :P Any way you cut it we won and they lost, hope they enjoy their moral victory. Even slow and sloppy we are pretty darn good.

SeattleOUstudent
10/20/2007, 11:58 PM
Notre Dame-length eh?

man00
Why would they be scared of OU team speed anymore than Texas team speed?

soonersn2007
Well I don't believe in those kind of tactics, I think the NCAA should legislate a uniform groundskeeping..........especially in the case of Tulsa's goal line marking.

douxpaysan
10/20/2007, 11:59 PM
Funny question from a whorn...

birddog
10/21/2007, 12:00 AM

it was like that for the texas game too.

man00
10/21/2007, 12:00 AM
wouldn't the "Long Grass" slow ISU down just as much?

SoonerTerry
10/21/2007, 12:01 AM

what was your handle the last time you got banned?

soonersn2007
10/21/2007, 12:02 AM
You would think, but from an observational point of view........it really seemed to negate our speed.

douxpaysan
10/21/2007, 12:05 AM
Whorns like grass....the higher the better...just ask their po

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 12:08 AM
i don't know man DeMarco still looked pretty darn quick on the very few touches he got today...if Im Wilson I gotta start trying to get this kid the ball more than ten times a game...at least 20 touches you know...it would double his chances of a gamebreaking play

douxpaysan
10/21/2007, 12:18 AM
No man....Chris Brown picked up the whole offense and carried it across the line for the second week in a row. Be very grateful that we got him...

GottaHavePride
10/21/2007, 12:26 AM
Murray, Patrick, and Brown all finished with about 50 yards each. The difference? Murray and Patrick both fumbled. Chris Brown was hot when we needed him - no way in hell do you substitute a different back in at a time like that. We should have learned that at the Sugar Bowl vs. LSU - when a back is racking up 10 yards a carry and the game's on the line, you DON'T stop and throw 4 passes in a row. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
10/21/2007, 12:46 AM
what was your handle the last time you got banned?

mantits

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 12:48 AM
No man....Chris Brown picked up the whole offense and carried it across the line for the second week in a row. Be very grateful that we got him...

thats true Brown did run it down the cyclones throat but seriously you have to be homer not to give Murray more touches than he's gettin...i understand that Brown gets a good 3 yards everytime he touches it and he protects it well also but Murray showed today that he too can run through the tackles...remember at the start of the third quarter when they ran him 3 times in a row? he got two first downs on those 3 plays...i do understand though that Brown is more seasoned and has a little more going for him trust wise w/ stoopsi so thats why he HAD to be in there in the critical part of the game

Turd_Ferguson
10/21/2007, 01:08 AM
mantits I thought it was cackknacker:confused:

soonertruth12
10/21/2007, 01:11 AM
the sportsanimal said before the game that the grass was grown out and the groundskeepers had watered down the field as well....this was evident from the huge chunks of turf coming up the whole game

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2007, 01:16 AM
Are there any rules on groundskeeping? Can I water the tar out of field for six straight days and turn it into a quagmire? If so, why don't teams do it?

By the way, I'm not complaining about the ISU game. I didn't get to see it.

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 01:19 AM
I just don't understand how growing the grass high would favor one team when they both have to run on it...that just doesn't make any sense...but who knows...maybe it does get into players heads a lil bit

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 01:23 AM
....this was evident from the huge chunks of turf coming up the whole gameThat field looked like it was covered with Burt Reyolds toupes.

Soonerfan88
10/21/2007, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure they had to do much watering as it's rained a lot this week. However, they still had enough time to mow even if it was early this morning.

And it would not be as much of an issue with the home team if they had practiced on that wet, long grass all week. They get adjustment time and OU doesn't.

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2007, 01:36 AM
I just don't understand how growing the grass high would favor one team when they both have to run on it...

Anything that reduces scoring favors the weaker team because it raises the significance of every mistake and narrows the athletic advantage one team has over another. On a dry fast field, the better athletes have a huge advantage. Make them play in a mudhole and they begin to look very much alike.

Think of it this way: If you are a DB trying to cover a super fast player, do you want him running on a fast surface, or in a muddy pasture?

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 01:38 AM
thats a great point...i totally see what you mean

OUTromBoNado
10/21/2007, 01:56 AM
I thought I read (or heard) somewhere that we used to do this stuff (fiddling with the turf) too back in the day. Not really because we needed it, but more because we could do it...and every little bit does help when you're the home team.

jwlynn64
10/21/2007, 02:07 AM
Guess you guys have never heard of the Ice Bowl between the speedy and athletic Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers.

It was the 1967 NFC championship game and it was colder than hell.

In order to negate the Cowboy's finesse play, the Green Bay groundskeeper turned of the fields built in warmer the night before the game. The field froze over and Green Bay ended up winning by a very slim margin.

Teams change their fields all the time to help the home team. That is one of the home field advantages.

Blue
10/21/2007, 02:36 AM
Why do think Kejaun Jones used to trip over his own feet?

http://www.newwest.net/images/thumbnails_feature/caddyshack_gopher2.jpg

swardboy
10/21/2007, 06:21 AM
Long grass and watered down field has been an Iowa State tactic vs OU since the wishbone days. It was no secret they were trying to negate our speed back then. You all saw those chunks of turf coming up.

I love the new artificial fields. No turf burn, and a consistent playing surface. And that hideous crown to the field for drainage is gone.

AlbqSooner
10/21/2007, 06:56 AM
That field looked like it was covered with Burt Reyolds toupes.
And they give TT hell for throwing tortillas.:)

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 07:44 AM
And they give TT hell for throwing tortillas.:)Ames could use some tortillas to patch up that place.

Aries
10/21/2007, 07:57 AM
Edited out because someone already answered the question.

(Note to me: Read the WHOLE thread before replying) :O

lexsooner
10/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Anyone out there old enough to remember when ISU watered down, let it rain, let Ringling Brothers elephants stomp up the field before we played them in Ames back in 1974? Didn't matter thought, because Little Joe carried the day and we won the MNC.

adoniijahsooner
10/21/2007, 10:02 AM
One way it would be a problem, is the guys would have been faster on the deep throws, and able to get that extra gear, might be why the timing was off a little.

bluedogok
10/21/2007, 10:19 AM
:mack: Hey Gene, you didn't mow it for us, so let it grow another week and mow it after the OU game :D

I thought I read (or heard) somewhere that we used to do this stuff (fiddling with the turf) too back in the day. Not really because we needed it, but more because we could do it...and every little bit does help when you're the home team.
At the end of the AstroTurf life at Owen Field they used to water the field a few hours prior to the game as the footing was better on the worn out turf slightly damp compared the dry surface.

The ISU field was not anything like the mud pit that Hawaii played in at San Jose State. That field reminded me of how many NFL fields are towards the end of the season. It amazes me how many colleges have immaculate fields every Saturday but by the middle of the NFL season it looks like they had truck pull in the stadium.

MikeInNorman
10/21/2007, 10:27 AM
The ISU field was about the same as it was for Texas the week before. I'm sure they do the same thing against any team that's more athletic than they are, which in the case of the Cyclones, is everybody.

47Wins
10/21/2007, 10:36 AM
The reference to OU doing that confuses me, all during the Wishbone days we had a very high crown phony field so I doubt it was muddy. Maybe you mean Wwwaaayy back in the day. Iowa St has been famous for that stunt for years. In wishbone days OU would show up at Ames during a serious drought and find mudholes on the field.

SoonerMom2
10/21/2007, 11:02 AM
That is pretty crappy out of a college if that is the only way they think they can win. It means the grass was a week taller and made it even slower and would explain some of the passes that were a little overthrown.

And the Big 12 condones this? Wasn't Okie State the ones that watered down their phoney turf before we played them the other year? I remember something about that.

redblood
10/21/2007, 11:32 AM
I could see it maybe slowing down an option team but that is about all.

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2007, 10:18 PM
Didn't we have artificial turf going back to Mildren's days?

stoopified
10/21/2007, 10:21 PM
Long grass? Is that caode for Thai stick?

Suerreal
10/21/2007, 11:15 PM
The field was in terrible shape. There were several times our guys lost footing in a hole where the turf was missing. I'm thankful there were no ankle injuries from it.

And while the turf is the same for both teams, if the home team knows where the turf is just patched on, and wears shoes that are designed for their conditions, then the field doesn't affect them as much as it does the visitors.

And if you're playing a faster team, and are both slowed down 10%, the absolute difference in speed is lessened just a little bit.

olevetonahill
10/22/2007, 12:33 AM
Long as its stickey Bud I dont care :P

douxpaysan
10/22/2007, 12:44 AM
Long as its stickey Bud I dont care :P
Benson couldn't have said it any better.:D