PDA

View Full Version : Fox coverage (@ISU)

SeattleOUstudent
10/20/2007, 11:56 PM
Dear Fox Broadcast Team:

Okay, guys....i know upsets are sexy. I get that ISU beating OU would be sexy...but come on! Its bad enough I have to listen to your lame-*** theme song 50 billion times, and have to sift through your bad slow-mo camera angles, but holy hell-------TRY TO STAY BALANCED! Every completion for ISU was met with yelling into the microphone like the US hockey team of 1980 just hit the winning goal. OU hits some pretty sweet runs down the stretch and packs one hell of a scoring drive, and you sounded like OU just ran over your cat in the driveway.

Stay.

Balanced.

Oh, and "Knoxy"....your sideline reporting is about as clever and useful as your nickname. Get off my ****ing screen!

:pop:

colleyvillesooner
10/21/2007, 12:04 AM
They actually sounded disappointed when Iglesias caught it inside the 10 on our last TD drive. Anyone that has the tape can go back and listen.

And the comment at the end about how we're in good shape because our conference loss was to a North team was just plain uniformed and unacceptable for a crew on a station that has big 12 games ALL YEAR. Do some freakin research...

amlah6
10/21/2007, 12:05 AM
FSN games are best watched on mute. I think I made it about 20 minutes today before I pushed that magic button.

soonersn2007
10/21/2007, 12:07 AM
I gotta say, the announcers pulling for an ISU upset was rather obvious.........good TV includes impartiality fellas.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:07 AM
So true.

I can't stand FSN. If that's the best they've got to try and compete with ESPN, then they should just pack it up.

"Knoxy" is the worst sideline reporter in the buisness. He makes Todd Blackledge's "taste of the town" look like 5 star television.

I would rather listen to 5 games featuring Todd Christiansen doing color than listen to that lame FSN crew. And believe me, that's saying a lot.

OKC-SLC
10/21/2007, 12:11 AM
I think I'm in the minority, but I actually liked TBS's coverage of Big 12 games.

The commentary was bad, yes. But no worse than what FSN trots out there. But the video was much better for my non-HD-having azz.

FSN = hacks.

SoonerTerry
10/21/2007, 12:12 AM
I like that cox carried it on the cox HD channel

Pricetag
10/21/2007, 12:13 AM
And the comment at the end about how we're in good shape because our conference loss was to a North team was just plain uniformed and unacceptable for a crew on a station that has big 12 games ALL YEAR. Do some freakin research...
Well, I thought they were saying that because if we win out in the South, we'd win it over other one loss teams since no one would own a head-to-head over us.

I thought it was funny when they were reviewing the one catch by ISU, and the dude is saying when someone works that hard to make a play, you "give him the benefit of the doubt" on the field. WTF? You make the correct call.

Also, when ISU got flagged for hitting Sam in the head. "They don't call that in powder puff." Okay.

GottaHavePride
10/21/2007, 12:14 AM
"Knoxy" is the worst sideline reporter in the buisness.

Except for the chick at the LSU game that asked Les Miles about that last timeout that he called. She confused the hell out of him since he NEVER CALLED THAT TIMEOUT.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:14 AM
I think I'm in the minority, but I actually liked TBS's coverage of Big 12 games.

The commentary was bad, yes. But no worse than what FSN trots out there. But the video was much better for my non-HD-having azz.

FSN = hacks.

I'm with you. I'd take TBS 10 out of 10 times over FSN.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:15 AM
Except for the chick at the LSU game that asked Les Miles about that last timeout that he called. She confused the hell out of him since he NEVER CALLED THAT TIMEOUT.

The fact that she is a woman puts her above him. At least it gives me something to watch when she has no clue what is going on.

sooner518
10/21/2007, 12:16 AM
Also, when ISU got flagged for hitting Sam in the head. "They don't call that in powder puff." Okay.

Literally, 5 minutes before he said this, he went on about how if its in the rulebook, the refs have to call it and he commended the refs for doing so.

GottaHavePride
10/21/2007, 12:18 AM
The fact that she is a woman puts her above him. At least it gives me something to watch when she has no clue what is going on.

Seh was no Bonnie Bernstein.

SeattleOUstudent
10/21/2007, 12:18 AM
"Knoxy" is the worst sideline reporter in the buisness. He makes Todd Blackledge's "taste of the town" look like 5 star television.

"and now, Im going to walk over to the wall near the student section and show some co-eds really excited, and label them 'fan of the game'.

Yeah, real intelligent. Thanks for filling 10 seconds of my life with crap instead of getting me some sort of REAL sideline momentum report from EITHER side.

Can you imagine this crap for an NFL broadcast? No. Aspire to be better, guys.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:20 AM
Seriously, how do I apply for his job? It doesn't appear that you really have to know or do anything.

SoonerMom2
10/21/2007, 12:27 AM

FSN = hacks.

TBS is much better -- Fox has some of the worst announcers ever. I even went to Bob Barry Sr and realized his calling the game was almost 10 seconds ahead of the TV. The announcers might as well have had ISU shirts on for the way they acted. Disgusting at best. I detest Fox! Those Fox guys made some of the dumbest comments during the game. Do they ever listen to themselves? ESPN doesn't have to worry about Fox Sports catching them with the announcers that Fox has.

critical_phil
10/21/2007, 12:31 AM
if you're not happy with FSN's broadcast, you can always listen to Bob Sr. call the game. good luck with that.

the d00ds calling the game were a little excited about a possible upset, and who could blame them. how would you like to call an "unbiased" game when the score is 60-3 - which is probably what kind of day they were thinking they were in for.

the guys doing the game today are nowhere near the worst in the biz. than again, maybe i'm just glad that this week we didn't get the guy who sounds just like wink martindale.

Sooner02
10/21/2007, 12:36 AM
I detest FSN broadcast games, but it seems they always want to pick up our games.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:38 AM
the guys doing the game today are nowhere near the worst in the biz.

Once again phil, you're 100% wrong.

Better luck next time.:P

SONofa47straitSOONER
10/21/2007, 12:39 AM
When an announcer talks to us like we've never played the game is when I push the magic mute button. And today they were unbearable.

And, yes, the comment about "give it to 'em if they make the effort", how can he be that dumb? And then saying over and over! PAINFUL! Somebody with authority tell them to shut that crap up or they'll get somebody else!

Mute was my football commentator from then on today.

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2007, 12:45 AM
maybe i'm just glad that this week we didn't get the guy who sounds just like wink martindale.Beer spew.:D :D

BoomerSoonerSchooner
10/21/2007, 12:50 AM
My biggest shocker was me finding myself turning on the radio and muting the game. Bob Barry wasn't half bad from what I heard, it's nice hearing it three seconds ahead of the TV. Also, stupid Cox was cutting in and out throughout the game, just had to have that backup.

Sooner02
10/21/2007, 12:54 AM
maybe i'm just glad that this week we didn't get the guy who sounds just like wink martindale.
This guy?

http://www.nba.com/media/joel_meyers_120x180.jpg

Blue
10/21/2007, 03:07 AM
Btw, the Dr. Pepper commercial of the lineman doing a td celebration is not funny, a little disturbing, and most definitely gay.

Stop playing it. Thanks.

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 03:16 AM
yeah lol no sh*t its really getting old in a hurry...but you know I wouldnt mind it though if those Jack Links commercials w/ sasquatch were on during every break...they will make me laugh no matter how many times i see it :D

Blue
10/21/2007, 03:28 AM
Messin w/ Sasquatch rocks. :D

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 03:49 AM
i cant wait to see if Jack Links will have one ready for the Super Bowl...surely they will...i rank these commercials with the sasquatch up there with the Budweiser commercial with the frogs lmao

1890MilesToNorman
10/21/2007, 07:36 AM
My problem with the Fox coverage is they didn't air the game until 13:00 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Some network head thought 5 people might want to watch the Revolution's Soccer game in the middle of the REAL football season.

Soccer AIN't football, just some pansy-azz European tea party that gives people a reason to riot!!

A-Holes

batonrougesooner
10/21/2007, 09:29 AM
Listening to Bob a few seconds ahead of the t.v. broadcast might be a good thing since it gives him a few seconds to catch up to what's really happening. Then you would see the play happen at the actual time he corrects the call.

I might try that next time.

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/21/2007, 09:36 AM
the announcers are one thing, but the halftime show is worse!! can someone shoot demarco farr with a potato gun please?! talk about biased.... he never hesitates to bash OU, not to mention those stupid A$$ text questions he anwsers are the ghey. Half the time his answers don't anwser the question, and the other half, are the stupidist things I've ever heard. I think I lost IQ points just watching the halftime show.....my head hurts.

rubyspirit
10/21/2007, 09:49 AM
You should email it to them. I understand OU is the Tiger Woods of college football, but damn, can't we have alittle love shown to us sometime ... Geesh.

bluedogok
10/21/2007, 10:04 AM
FSN games are best watched on mute. I think I made it about 20 minutes today before I pushed that magic button.
I have listened to BBs/Merv/Trent on Sirius all season, I just can't stand most of the national guys. I do have to sync the DVR with the audio but once I do that it goes pretty well.

mizzOUstu702
10/21/2007, 11:04 AM
My favorite was when one of them started singing "Let's Get Physical" when talking about our O-Line...

SoonerMom2
10/21/2007, 11:20 AM
Listening to Bob a few seconds ahead of the t.v. broadcast might be a good thing since it gives him a few seconds to catch up to what's really happening. Then you would see the play happen at the actual time he corrects the call.

I might try that next time.

One time it was 10 seconds as Fox hadn't come back from a commercial. I enjoyed hearing Trent Smith on the sideline when he talked about the zebras. Trent Smith does a good job and since he understands the game, he gives a different perspective like calling the refs zebras. He doesn't mince words about what is happening either. He has a future in being a broadcaster IMHO.

critical_phil
10/21/2007, 11:50 AM
This guy?

i think that's him.

listening to him call a game is like a 3 1/2 hour episode of Tic Tac Dough.

kevpks
10/21/2007, 11:53 AM
Having the Fox announcers scream into the mic every time ISU had a first down was getting a little old. I guess they thought announcing an upset might make them famous. The camera work was also pretty crappy. I would rather see what is happening on the field instead of all the crowd shots of the ISU "beauties."

Suerreal
10/21/2007, 12:21 PM
It is true the any conference loss affects the standings equally. But a loss to a North team doesn't give another South team a game up on us, and if we wind up tied at the end, doesn't give another South team the tie-breaker of head-to-head results.

Example: If Texas had beaten K-State and we beat Texas, we'd be tied in the Big XII South standings. But if we finished the season that way, OU would be Big XII South Champions, and playing in the Championship game. Therefore, the Loss to Colorado would have hurt us less than Texas's loss to OU would have hurt them.

colinreturn
10/21/2007, 12:23 PM
it was the worst. i loved it when they were trying to reason out bad flags with effort for iowa state.

Suerreal
10/21/2007, 12:28 PM
The "staying on schedule" schtick was old the first time, guys. Really, you do not have to explain 10 times that 3rd and 7 is more difficult to convert than 3rd and 2.

And, no. Once players graduate from flag football to wearing pads, any concept of "Give it to him; he deserves it for effort" is non-existent.

Monster Zero
10/21/2007, 01:15 PM
When "Knoxy" catches Stoops for a halftime interview, you can tell that he gives Stoops the willies. It's easy to see why, with all that botox and stuff. He's a bizarre dude with a bizarre nickname.

85sooners
10/21/2007, 01:20 PM
:rolleyes:

Dan Thompson
10/21/2007, 01:27 PM
Myabe it was just Cox out here, but I would lose the sound and would get the nice little squares on the TV for

OK2LA
10/21/2007, 01:27 PM
This guy?

That's Joel Meyers - t.v. voice of the Lakers. I like him.

But then again, I can't get enough of Wink.

OK2LA
10/21/2007, 01:31 PM
My problem with the Fox coverage is they didn't air the game until 13:00 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Some network head thought 5 people might want to watch the Revolution's Soccer game in the middle of the REAL football season.

Soccer AIN't football, just some pansy-azz European tea party that gives people a reason to riot!!

A-Holes

Have you seen ESPN's propaganda promoting soccer?

They show comparisons to football, baseball, and basketball - and then end the commercial with: "You're a fan - you just don't know it yet."

Yeah.

I'd like to get the marketing guy that wrote this, and shove a hotdog up his arse, and tell him he's a faig - he just doesn't know it yet.

Dan Thompson
10/21/2007, 01:31 PM
Myabe it was just Cox out here, but I would lose the sound and would get the nice little squares on the TV for about a second or two.

I hate the camera angles, especially the ones with the camera on the ground, and then not switching back to the play action camera, which is usually zoomed back so far it takes them too long to zoom in on the action.

The one camera angle in the Colorado game they never showed was the end zone shot of Reggie missing that punt. I think the Colorado player blocked he view just a second and they only showed the sideline picture though later they showed an ezone camera of a field goal at the opposite end.

Ground_Attack
10/21/2007, 01:34 PM
I'd like to get the marketing guy that wrote this, and shove a hotdog up his arse, and tell him he's a faig - he just doesn't know it yet.

alright man...you owe me a new keyboard and monitor for that remark. I'll never get this Dr. Pepper out of the keys completely. I'm still laughing at that one. :D

tbl
10/21/2007, 03:53 PM
I can't complain. I live in Atlanta and because of FSN I've been able to watch more games at my home for free than I have since I moved here. Keep 'em coming.

cvsooner
10/21/2007, 04:38 PM
It's unfortunate that OU games seem to wind up on Fox more often than not. I'm glad the games are on but the broadcast crew is terrible. Angles are bad, replays are worse, the announcing crew (especially Dave "I nod my head all the time" Lapham) are really bad, AND to add insult to injury, Rupert Murdoch is making money on this.

Newbomb Turk
10/21/2007, 04:42 PM
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I don't really give a rip about the coverage and announcing. I'm just glad the game was on the teevee so I could watch it.

Jalal23V
10/21/2007, 05:40 PM
my friends and I got to the point where we muted the tv and turned on Bob and Merv. only problem was the radio was five sec. ahead of the tv, but we knew that chris brown td was coming up before we saw it.

jkjsooner
10/21/2007, 06:46 PM

Um, what they said is exactly correct. If we lose to a southern division team that team has the advantage over us and must lose 2 conference games for us to have a shot - unless of course there's some type of 3 way tie. If you have only one loss to a north team you still control your own destiny.

jkjsooner
10/21/2007, 07:09 PM
Have you seen ESPN's propaganda promoting soccer?

They show comparisons to football, baseball, and basketball - and then end the commercial with: "You're a fan - you just don't know it yet."

Yeah.

I agree 100%. I'll watch the US in the world cup just as I'll watch the women's gymnastics in the Olympics but I am not and will not be a soccer fan.

Forever we've been ridiculed by the Europeans and Latin Americans because we don't embrace soccer like the "rest of the world." (Not that the Indians/Russians/etc. really embrace soccer either.) They can't believe we dare to follow other sports and we are arrogant to do so.

That's all fine but when ESPN gets into the act it ticks me off.

And for my European/South American comrades:

1. I do not know why we call it the World Series. It is not a sign of our arrogance as the name has been around since the 19th century long before the US played a dominant role in international politics. It was probably some type of marketing gimmick.

2. We call it football and we are allowed to use our hands. Live with it. Our game derived from rugby which is another code of football in England. Don't blame Americans because you do not understand the originations of the term.

3. We wear pads because American football is a collision sport not a contact sport. The rules encourage more head on collisions than in other contact sports such as rugby. The rules also encourage 300 lbs giants. If we played the modern game w/o pads people would die. We are not wimps and getting hit with pads is not a pleasant experience.

Sorry about the off-topic rant.

Animal Mother
10/21/2007, 07:09 PM
Well, I thought they were saying that because if we win out in the South, we'd win it over other one loss teams since no one would own a head-to-head over us.

I thought it was funny when they were reviewing the one catch by ISU, and the dude is saying when someone works that hard to make a play, you "give him the benefit of the doubt" on the field. WTF? You make the correct call.

Hell the worst thing about the roughing call was we got the first down anyway. They acted like we wouldn't have gotten the first without the penalty. They tried to blame on the fact the guy was "following through" as if Sam's coconut was a damn Titelist instead of his head. YOU DO NOT MAKE CONTACT WITH THE QB's NOGGIN !!! FOX commentators are about as sharp as a stick of butter.

silverwheels
10/21/2007, 07:17 PM
Announcers in general just suck these days, regardless of the network.