PDA

View Full Version : Where would OU rank

PLaw
10/20/2007, 10:30 PM
in the SEC?? Watching this LSU - Auburn game make me wonder.

Thoughts?

BOOMER

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 10:34 PM
OU is ranked in the top 5 in the country. I supppose they'd be right at or near the top of the SEC as well.

colinreturn
10/20/2007, 10:34 PM
right in the mix.

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 10:36 PM
same...

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 10:48 PM
We'd clobber all those chumps.

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:49 PM
Count me in as one that is just not that enamored of the SEC this season; i think Florida is the best team, but they've already lost twice and hopefully Lester State U will lose another one tonight.

man00
10/20/2007, 11:00 PM
OU would finish 4th overall in the SEC this year

kevpks
10/20/2007, 11:06 PM
Who gives a crap? We are in the Big XII.

soonernation
10/20/2007, 11:12 PM
OU would finish 4th overall in the SEC this year

Give a good reason to believe this.

man00
10/20/2007, 11:22 PM
Give a good reason to believe this.
Three reasons...LSU, FL and add Aurbun

soonernation
10/20/2007, 11:30 PM
Three reasons...LSU, FL and add Aurbun

:rolleyes:

man00
10/20/2007, 11:34 PM
I suppose you watched the LSU/Auburn game? Do you think OU would beat either?

8timechamps
10/20/2007, 11:37 PM
You know, I would have to say that the SEC is the best conference in the country. I know that's not a popular thing to say to fans of the Big XII.

As for OU, I think we would be in contention for the title. How could we not be? It's not like we are in a mid-major conference.

Either way, I'm glad the SEC is tough, they can beat the hell out of each other all year. The PAC 10 on the other hand, sucks!

soonernation
10/20/2007, 11:40 PM
There is not a team in the nation that I've seen that OU couldn't beat if they brought their A game. With that said I do think LSU is probably the best team in the nation. For you to say OU would do no better than 4th in the SEC tells me you're a SEC guy or simply not very smart.

8timechamps
10/20/2007, 11:41 PM
There is not a team in the nation that I've seen that OU couldn't beat if they brought their A game. With that said I do think LSU is probably the best team in the nation. For you to say OU would do no better than 4th in the SEC tells me you're a SEC guy or simply not very smart.

I agree about the OU part, IF we brought out A game. However, I do not think LSU is the best team in the nation.

man00
10/20/2007, 11:43 PM
Again..LSU, FL and Auburn has more talent and would have their way with OU. Those are just the facts as I see them. Against any of the above teams Bradford would get killed.

8timechamps
10/20/2007, 11:45 PM
Again..LSU, FL and Auburn has more talent and would have their way with OU. Those are just the facts as I see them. Against any of the above teams Bradford would get killed.

FACTS? Huh?

So, lemme guess, you're a (insert team that OU owns) fan?

MiccoMacey
10/20/2007, 11:47 PM
If they played the way they did today...I agree.

If all the teams played up to their potential, I'd say OU has at least an even shot.

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 11:48 PM
man00's right....

Looks like another trophy for auburn then....

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/19/196675.jpg

SoonerTerry
10/20/2007, 11:49 PM
Ya know, those rankings take the SEC into account.. right?

soonernation
10/20/2007, 11:51 PM

This will be the last time I reply to your ignorant drivel.

Auburn got beat by S. Florida and Mississippi State. They also almost got beat by a middle of the road Big 12 North team. Auburn is not that good and it took everything LSU had to beat them. Now go away Troll.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 11:53 PM

...just the facts as you see them....hum...are you blind? OU is as talented as the teams you mention. Would OU beat them every time, probably not, but to say they would have their way with OU and that Bradford would get killed shows you're just not very smart...or you really are blind, in which case no offense is intended.

8timechamps
10/20/2007, 11:53 PM

Auburn got beat by S. Florida and Mississippi State. They also almost got beat by a middle of the road Big 12 North team. Auburn is not that good and it took everything LSU had to beat them. Now go away Troll.

You're talking with some sense of intellect. He won't understand that.

man00
10/20/2007, 11:56 PM

Well maybe you forgot OU got beat by middle of road big 12 north team.

CitySooner
10/21/2007, 12:03 AM
Question for manOO: Why are you on this blog? Just to troll and **** off REAL Sooner fans? You sound like a Puke State fan to me. Sorry, but you won't get my goat; she won't have anything to do with losers like you :P

LSUdeek
10/21/2007, 12:04 AM
OU would contend for the title every other year, depending on schedule and what not. No question in my mind about that.

man00
10/21/2007, 12:06 AM
It really does gets under a few skins here when you show they are wrong. I'm a OU fan but I can tell who is the better teams after seeing them a few times.

StoopTroup
10/21/2007, 12:08 AM
You can really tell who the better team is once they actually play each other.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:10 AM
It really does gets under a few skins here when you show they are wrong. I'm a OU fan but I can tell who is the better teams after seeing them a few times.

What gets under our skins are trolls that pop up like roaches and go on and on with uninformed "facts". But the best part is that those trolls never discuss their team. Because they know they would be washed away like a booger in the shower.

Ever
10/21/2007, 12:10 AM
I'd put OU # 3 behind LSU and Florida.

That said, I think one of the big problems between a good SEC team and a good Big XII team is that a good Big XII team can fall into bad habits and still win in conference, whereas SEC teams have to drop the bad habits very quickly, because each team they play will catch them on it. If OU were facing that each week they would be a bit sharper than they are; moving them up there into the top two.

Sooner1979
10/21/2007, 12:11 AM
This is the Big XII...Everything else is Intramurals Brother...

birddog
10/21/2007, 12:12 AM

really, seriously? you can tell? well you should decide who plays for the mnc then because the experts don't know what the hell is going on. top 10 ten teams are dropping like flies.

8timechamps
10/21/2007, 12:13 AM
I'd put OU # 3 behind LSU and Florida.

That said, I think one of the big problems between a good SEC team and a good Big XII team is that a good Big XII team can fall into bad habits and still win in conference, whereas SEC teams have to drop the bad habits very quickly, because each team they play will catch them on it. If OU were facing that each week they would be a bit sharper than they are; moving them up there into the top two.

I agree with most of that. I, as any true OU fan would, believe that we would compete with LSU for the top spot.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/21/2007, 12:23 AM
Well maybe you forgot OU got beat by middle of road big 12 north team.

Yep and Mississippi State and South Florida are great teams huh?

sooner518
10/21/2007, 12:28 AM
yawn. i might care if you had the necessary brain capacity to use proper English in your posts.

insuranceman_22
10/21/2007, 12:29 AM

Dude go have a couple more shots and then retire to your bathroom to choke one out so you can feel better about yourself, try to relax most of tomorrow, then as early as you can on Monday morning....seek psychological help ya tool.

josh09
10/21/2007, 01:03 AM
in the SEC?? Watching this LSU - Auburn game make me wonder.

Thoughts?

BOOMER

#1 BABY!!!!

:D

josh09
10/21/2007, 01:05 AM

Yes.

Easily Auburn, and LSU is overrated, so maybe LSU.

And we could definately beat Florida, IMHO.

tommieharris91
10/21/2007, 03:44 AM
I think it would all depend on where the games are. We could DEFINITELY compete with LSU, KY, FL, and Aub. I think after an SEC schedule, we'd have 1 loss and be in the Championship game. So basically, not too much different than where we are now.

KantoSooner
10/21/2007, 03:50 AM
Dude go have a couple more shots and then retire to your bathroom to choke one out so you can feel better about yourself, try to relax most of tomorrow, then as early as you can on Monday morning....seek psychological help ya tool.

You Sir, have a firm grasp of reality. Unlike our 'friend' who seems to have a firm grip of other things.

soonergirlNeugene
10/21/2007, 04:03 AM

Classic Palooka (http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/palooka.htm)

47Wins
10/21/2007, 10:42 AM
I just wish we would consistantly bring our "A" game. In that mode OU is as good as any team out there, unfortunately we are terribly inconsistant. Maybe it's the youth on the team, I just don't know but we seem to be equally capable of pitching a stinker as we are of playing well.

sendbaht
10/21/2007, 11:11 AM
I hope we move up to 4th.

UTgolfer
10/21/2007, 12:53 PM
I'm obviously a Texas fan but...if OU were in the SEC they would be right at the top of that league as they are at the top of the Big 12. To be fair you guys have speed at the talent positions, play good defense, and have a very good QB. Not an obvious SEC team that could be pointed to as clearly superior.

And i never understand how, whenever SEC teams beat each other it is hailed as an indication of overall league strength and when teams from other conferences beat up on each other it is regarding as and indication of weakness within the league.

47straight
10/21/2007, 01:32 PM

What about when you predicted that Miami and Texas would beat us, and USC would go undefeated? Does that get under your skin? What about when you predicted Bradford would throw two picks against Miami?

josh09
10/21/2007, 01:35 PM
What about when you predicted that Miami and Texas would beat us, and USC would go undefeated? Does that get under your skin? What about when you predicted Bradford would throw two picks against Miami?

Uppercut straight to the chin :D

soonernation
10/21/2007, 01:39 PM

The genious also said if OU goes .500 in the Big 12 in 06 he would consider the year a success. Yup he's really good at evaluating football.:rolleyes:

stoopified
10/21/2007, 01:56 PM
Yes.

Ash
10/21/2007, 02:28 PM
I've never bought into conference brand names. Just because Baylor plays in the Big 12 doesn't make them the same caliber team as others, same goes for any other team in any other conference. I think that applies more this year than any other, where there aren't even any clearly superior teams from ANY conference. I don't see much separation if any among the top teams from the power conferences.

Just like any other team in the SEC, and just like they've done in the Big 12, I think OU would beat just about any team that played them at home. Struggle against the better teams on the road. The exception being Auburn, which has played like a beast on the road in the SEC, who would give the Sooners fits at home just like they've done with every SEC team they've played.

goingoneight
10/21/2007, 03:45 PM
If Mack Brown can beat the "greatest team evar," and the SEC "powers can't... thie BIG 12 is just fine.

Look at Les Miles' record in the BIG 12, what is it in the SEC again?

man00
10/21/2007, 03:46 PM
If Mack Brown can beat the "greatest team evar," and the SEC "powers can't... thie BIG 12 is just fine.

Look at Les Miles' record in the BIG 12, what is it in the SEC again?
Well I think there is a little difference between OSU and LSU...don't you?

redblood
10/21/2007, 09:10 PM
We would be in the top three.I think we are a year away from reaching this
teams potential.

CORNholio
10/21/2007, 11:15 PM
Here's the difference between the rest of the world and dixie dip****s. We are fans of a team. Where these tards are fans of a conference. Who gives a crap if the big 12 sucks. What does OU have to prove by playing in a top notch conference? Its not like OU popped onto the scene last week. OU has sported top notch teams for 50-60 years. I think we can relax about proving our legitimacy. So we can cruise through our regular season unscathed every 5 years or so and pop one off in one of those "superior" SEC teams for the MNC.

PDXsooner
10/21/2007, 11:17 PM
OU would be one of the topw few teams, but not clearly the best as they are in the big 12. overall, most of the 11-2 seasons OU has would be 9-4 or 10-3 seasons with an SEC schedule.

Curly Bill
10/22/2007, 11:01 AM
Here's the difference between the rest of the world and dixie dip****s. We are fans of a team. Where these tards are fans of a conference. Who gives a crap if the big 12 sucks. What does OU have to prove by playing in a top notch conference? Its not like OU popped onto the scene last week. OU has sported top notch teams for 50-60 years. I think we can relax about proving our legitimacy. So we can cruise through our regular season unscathed every 5 years or so and pop one off in one of those "superior" SEC teams for the MNC.

Exactly...who cares if the Big 12 sucks, as long as the Sooners are rolling. Some of those other Big 12 teams are among my most hated...why would I want them to be any good?

Spray
10/22/2007, 11:18 AM
I don't see anything blatantly outrageous about man00's opinion. Its conservative, but not unrealistic to think OU would lose 2-3 games in the SEC. His opinion is no different than the homers who seem to think OU would dominate the SEC.

Right now, LSU, Florida, and Kentucky would all be a serious challenge for the Sooners. In fact, if we couldn't get pressure on Woodson, UK may be the most dangerous matchup for us of the 3.

Spray
10/22/2007, 11:20 AM
double post- sorry

cjames317
10/22/2007, 11:41 AM
During that game, I also thought that LSU & Auburn looked like a couple of real heavyweights and whether OU could hang with those teams. Later, I pulled up the OU/TX game (Thank you God for DVR) and saw the same kind of knock down drag out, except with college-age QBS.

Thus satisfied with our hangability, I concluded that Les is an idiot ("We had more than enough time to kick a field goal if necessary") and Auburn's DC Will Muschamps is the next Bob Stoops.

cheezyq
10/22/2007, 11:52 AM
OU would be one of the topw few teams, but not clearly the best as they are in the big 12. overall, most of the 11-2 seasons OU has would be 9-4 or 10-3 seasons with an SEC schedule.

I agree, to an extent. I think the SEC is tougher in that it is deeper, but I don't think that the top teams are better than OU.

Missouri beat Mississippi on the road and Florida lost to Mississippi. OU beat Missouri at home. KSU almost beat Auburn on the road, who almost beat LSU.

I think that the top 3-4 teams in the Big 12 compare favorably with the top 3-4 teams in the SEC. The difference is that there aren't many Baylors, Colorados, or Iowa States in the SEC. Although, even those teams are turning out to be tougher than we expected. The overall schedule would be a bit tougher, but I don't think it would be enough to turn a 11-2 team into a 9-4 team.

The SEC is certainly a tough conference, but I think their status gets over-hyped. They rarely ever play anyone decent outside of the conference, and so they all go into their conference seasons with undefeated records. Yet they somehow get away with it by claiming that the SEC is tough enough, and that scheduling good OOC teams would be cutting their own throats.

Curly Bill
10/22/2007, 02:09 PM
I agree, to an extent. I think the SEC is tougher in that it is deeper, but I don't think that the top teams are better than OU.

Missouri beat Mississippi on the road and Florida lost to Mississippi. OU beat Missouri at home. KSU almost beat Auburn on the road, who almost beat LSU.

I think that the top 3-4 teams in the Big 12 compare favorably with the top 3-4 teams in the SEC. The difference is that there aren't many Baylors, Colorados, or Iowa States in the SEC. Although, even those teams are turning out to be tougher than we expected. The overall schedule would be a bit tougher, but I don't think it would be enough to turn a 11-2 team into a 9-4 team.

The SEC is certainly a tough conference, but I think their status gets over-hyped. They rarely ever play anyone decent outside of the conference, and so they all go into their conference seasons with undefeated records. Yet they somehow get away with it by claiming that the SEC is tough enough, and that scheduling good OOC teams would be cutting their own throats.

This is some well thought out, clearly expressed stuff here...Are you sure you're in the right place? ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 02:46 PM
I don't see anything blatantly outrageous about man00's opinion. Its conservative, but not unrealistic to think OU would lose 2-3 games in the SEC. His opinion is no different than the homers who seem to think OU would dominate the SEC.

Oh boy, here's comes your red!!!

Just for the record, I personally believe that OU would win the Super Bowl if college teams were allowed to play in the NFL. Does that make me a real Sooner fan?

phead903
10/22/2007, 06:43 PM
Living here in Arkansas, it does seem that the fans are SEC fans more than Hog fans - of course that may have to do with the fact that Arkansas just recently won its first game against a BCS conference team since November of last year. I notice a lot of "well, we may not be good, but, by God, we aren't good in the SEC!"

kevpks
10/22/2007, 06:54 PM
Living here in Arkansas, it does seem that the fans are SEC fans more than Hog fans - of course that may have to do with the fact that Arkansas just recently won its first game against a BCS conference team since November of last year. I notice a lot of "well, we may not be good, but, by God, we aren't good in the SEC!"

OSU should move to the SEC. That type of logic suits them perfectly.