PDA

View Full Version : Bradford starting slow

jkjsooner
10/20/2007, 09:41 PM
Bradford has had two games this year where he started extremely slowly (inaccurate) and just didn't improve as the game went along. By contrast, he's been Jason White accurate in the other games.

At times the coaches have allowed Bradford to throw it around like Heupel and White. When he's off the coaches are resigned to turning the offense into something more like we saw with Hybl and Thompson.

So my question is, why hasn't Bradford been able to improve as these game progress?

1. Typical for a freshman?
2. Is he have confidence issues when things aren't going his way?

One problem I have is that when Sam isn't having a great game the receivers really need to step up and make plays. We had a couple of critical drops (including the interception) that had they been catches it could have helped Bradford get on a roll.

This isn't a slam on Bradford as I'm sure he will improve throughout his career and I think he is having a great year for a freshman.

Widescreen
10/20/2007, 09:44 PM
I only wish his efficiency ranking was higher.

goingoneight
He had one rough day in eight starts as a redshirt freshmen. Needless to say, we expected a rough one for the kid. Nice thing is it happened against a crappy team and we still eeked it out.

medstudent24
He's a freshman I expected this to happen.

I'm still hoping he can break Colt McCoy's record but I'm not sure he's going to make it now.

As long as he improves next year and every year after that I'm going to give him a pass since he's a freshman and its tough to play well week in and week out.

swardboy
10/20/2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe he's just getting his "sophomore jinx" over early?

KantoSooner
10/20/2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not so sure it was Bradford, alone. The whole dam team seemed sluggish until mid-way through the third. Bradford's been the recipient of some great receiving, but also has suffered more than his share of drops and, like today, an INT that was not his fault (bad ball handling by the receiver).

As good as he is, why do Stoops-coached teams seem to have such a rough first gear?

jduggle
10/20/2007, 09:50 PM
When the running game gets off to a slow start like it did today, it puts pressure on Bradford to complete the long ball. I would like to see Wilson use the TEs earlier because they are much bigger targets. Once Bradford gets his confidence, he's unstoppable.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 09:50 PM
I think Bob needs to clap more so Sam stays alert and thus gets off to a better start. :P

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 09:51 PM
Bradford is playing great !!!!!!!

SoonerBOI
10/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Hopefully the team will iron some kinks this coming bye week. Boomer!

OKC-SLC
10/20/2007, 09:55 PM
I think he is having a great year.
Agreed.

goingoneight
10/20/2007, 09:55 PM
Really and truly, the only thing he did wrong today was had a few balls sail on him. You can cry about him taking the sack, but that is one, the offensive line's fault, and two... better than forcing a bad play. His only interception was another tipped pass and he had a lot of drops.

Allen Patrick messed up bad not tucking that ball away, JG messed up bad by fielding the "interception" wrong by trying to catch in under-handed and let it hit his pads. Iglesias had a good game and tried his heart out to catch a few balls that were just to far away.

Look at it like this... we NEED this BYE week.

rubyspirit
10/20/2007, 10:03 PM
So my question is, why hasn't Bradford been able to improve as these game progress?

1. Typical for a freshman?
2. Is he have confidence issues when things aren't going his way?

One problem I have is that when Sam isn't having a great game the receivers really need to step up and make plays. We had a couple of critical drops (including the interception) that had they been catches it could have helped Bradford get on a roll.

This isn't a slam on Bradford as I'm sure he will improve throughout his career and I think he is having a great year for a freshman.

It could be fatigue. Sam isn't use to playing at this level and pace.

How can the receivers step up if the ball isn't thrown to them? The passing game was alittle off today, which is OK ... because we won!

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 10:06 PM
Bradford is a great QB...you guys are dunces...

jkjsooner
10/20/2007, 10:09 PM
Really and truly, the only thing he did wrong today was had a few balls sail on him. You can cry about him taking the sack,,

I'm really only talking about the balls sailing on him. The only other compaint would be that he seemed to be very indecisive on the 4th down play but that's been extremely critical.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 10:09 PM
Bradford is a great QB...you guys are dunces...

Yeah, what he said!

I'm thrilled with our QB play this year. With the concern we had coming into the year, for Sam to have played the way he has...pricelsss.

So, he wasn't as good today as he has been. He'll be better next time out, and remember the one turnover he had was a perfectly thrown ball.

Sooner Stew
10/20/2007, 10:10 PM
I agree that Bradford has played beyond what expectations I had before the season started but today he faced a team that had that upset look in there eyes and pretty much they took away the pass and left the running game open a little bit which was fine with me since we have 3 running backs that all can make plays...I still think DeMarco should be the primary back because he really needs to get more touches than they're giving him...

the one big mistake that I watched Bradford make today was in the first quarter on our first big drive of the game and It was fourth down and five at around the 30 yardline and Sam tried to scramble for it instead of dumping it off to DeMarco who had a huge part of the field all to his self and he probably wouldve taken it in for 6...other than that Sam's improving and building confidence...Im just happy to see him becoming a better leader every game

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 10:11 PM
yo...

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 10:19 PM
I agree that Bradford has played beyond what expectations I had before the season started but today he faced a team that had that upset look in there eyes and pretty much they took away the pass and left the running game open a little bit which was fine with me since we have 3 running backs that all can make plays...I still think DeMarco should be the primary back because he really needs to get more touches than they're giving him...

the one big mistake that I watched Bradford make today was in the first quarter on our first big drive of the game and It was fourth down and five at around the 30 yardline and Sam tried to scramble for it instead of dumping it off to DeMarco who had a huge part of the field all to his self and he probably wouldve taken it in for 6...other than that Sam's improving and building confidence...Im just happy to see him becoming a better leader every game

I do remember the play that you speak of...yeah, that was a bad decision..

jkjsooner
10/20/2007, 10:19 PM
It could be fatigue. Sam isn't use to playing at this level and pace.

How can the receivers step up if the ball isn't thrown to them? The passing game was alittle off today, which is OK ... because we won!

I meant they need to step up when the ball is on target. Bradford missed several but the receivers dropped a few critical ones too (including the interception which was right on the numbers).

achiro
10/20/2007, 11:16 PM
Really and truly, the only thing he did wrong today was had a few balls sail on him.
History for Ames, IA

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Max Wind Speed 17 mph
Max Gust Speed 24 mph

Sooner Stew
10/20/2007, 11:41 PM
yeah lol you remember Hartleys field goal today? haha it looked like it hooked about 25 yards...kinda like my tee shots when Im hittin the little white ball :D

SoonerTerry
10/20/2007, 11:47 PM
History for Ames, IA

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Max Wind Speed 17 mph
Max Gust Speed 24 mph

And the turf looked like they layed it 30 minutes before gametime

proud gonzo
10/21/2007, 12:26 AM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8323/smellslikenoobsj4.jpg