PDA

View Full Version : "And that was one big stinkin' play, brother."

TopDawg
10/20/2007, 09:22 PM
Granted, I don't have to listen to Bob Barry do the play-by-play very often, so maybe I don't have a full appreciation for his..."style"...but, man, I'm glad we don't have that dork that does OSU games.

bigdsooner
10/20/2007, 09:26 PM
the pistols firing guy? he makes me wanna punch my dogs

SoonerBorn68
10/20/2007, 09:29 PM
gheyest announcer evar! I'm glad he's orange. They deserve him.

Paperclip
10/20/2007, 10:55 PM
He's exitable, but he's light years better than BBS.

RedRum
10/20/2007, 11:54 PM
I live in Arkansas so I had to listen to the Utah State game on the radio. It was the first time I had heard Sr on the radio in over 10 years.
He was even more atrocious than I remembered.
Unlike a fine wine, he does not improve with age.

CitySooner
10/21/2007, 12:08 AM
Brooksy was the best. I was hoping Bill Teegins would eventually be the voice of the Sooners, and then......:(

Sooner Stew
10/21/2007, 12:14 AM
i would much rather listen to the pistols firing dude than a retarded old man screaming out yardlines all day...geez man I really cant listen to him anymore while im at the game or any other time in that case...I used to because I liked to know what was going on with injuries and sort but I swear when you listen to him a lot of the times its like watching one game and listening to a totally different game lmao...whens the guy gonna finally step down? we deserve someone better

yukonmiller
10/21/2007, 12:33 AM
Granted, I don't have to listen to Bob Barry do the play-by-play very often, so maybe I don't have a full appreciation for his..."style"...but, man, I'm glad we don't have that dork that does OSU games.

The exact thing I said when I was listening to Pistols Firing. He goes from backflip screaming celebration, to sounding like his dog just died. You don't have to listen to a word he says, just listen to his reaction and you know what happens.

BoomerGirl34
10/21/2007, 01:31 AM
I missed the last five minutes of the Highly Excitable Homer on OSU coverage.

Did he have a stroke when Ricks hit the game winner?

MichiganSooner
10/21/2007, 11:56 AM
Immediately before the FG attempt, he lost it. He was counting down the seconds. "19,18,17,16...the Cowboys had better hurry...". I calmly said to my wife, "they have a timeout left and even Gumby knows it." OSU called the timeout and squeaky-voiced pistol firing sighed a breath of relief. What an idiot of an announcer.

The only employee worse than him for OSU is that stadium announcer. That guy is classless with his "3rd down for the visitors" announcement.

TopDawg
10/22/2007, 10:32 AM
Immediately before the FG attempt, he lost it. He was counting down the seconds. "19,18,17,16...the Cowboys had better hurry...". I calmly said to my wife, "they have a timeout left and even Gumby knows it." OSU called the timeout and squeaky-voiced pistol firing sighed a breath of relief. What an idiot of an announcer.

The only employee worse than him for OSU is that stadium announcer. That guy is classless with his "3rd down for the visitors" announcement.

Preach it!

TopDawg
10/22/2007, 10:34 AM
I missed the last five minutes of the Highly Excitable Homer on OSU coverage.

Did he have a stroke when Ricks hit the game winner?

It was actually hard to know what happened. Right after he said "IT'S GOOD! PISTOL'S FIRING!" the audio from the booth cut out and all you could hear was the crowd noise. They came on about 10 seconds later saying "just listen to that crowd" but it clearly wasn't their intent to go to the crowd noise. Something happened in that booth to make them lose their audio abruptly.

Maybe he dropped his hot dog.

Landthief 1972
10/22/2007, 11:25 AM
It was actually hard to know what happened. Right after he said "IT'S GOOD! PISTOL'S FIRING!" the audio from the booth cut out and all you could hear was the crowd noise. They came on about 10 seconds later saying "just listen to that crowd" but it clearly wasn't their intent to go to the crowd noise. Something happened in that booth to make them lose their audio abruptly.

He was so excited about the game that his fly was open? :stunned:

yermom
10/22/2007, 11:28 AM
we were listening to one of the LSU games on ESPN radio a few weeks ago and were discussing how bad the guy was compared to BBS

i think it was Holladay on a run, and he's like:

"to the speedster..."

...5-10 seconds of dead air later...

"TOUCHDOWN"

at least with him yelling the yardlines you know what's going on :D

TopDawg
10/22/2007, 11:32 AM
Conversely, do any of you go to high school games where the PA thinks he's a radio play-by-play guy?

This stuff cracks me up. We're all there watching the game, but the PA guy thinks he has to tell us stuff like "handoff to the left" or "he's back to pass." I'd just love it if one time in a close playoff game one of those PA guys yelled out "PASS!!!" or "SCREEN!!!" on a key play late in the game when the home team is on defense.

StoopTroup
10/22/2007, 11:33 AM
Every time I look at old game programs Bill Teegins is on the back of some of them in an ad.

It always reminds me of how you really never notice how someone affected your life until they are gone.

He was A+ in my book.

I'll feel the same way the day BBS is gone too.

I know it seems hard right now that he won't give it up...but he bleeds Crimson and Cream.

RIP Bill...

http://ww2.arthritis.org/images/chaptersimages/OKL/golf-graphic400.jpg

TopDawg
10/22/2007, 11:35 AM
We should take a transcript of one of the games he calls, change the names and have someone else read it, and then have him listen to it and tell us if he has any idea what's going on.

gblbell
10/22/2007, 11:40 AM
...and boom goes the dynamite!

Tear Down This Wall
10/22/2007, 02:53 PM
The other guy in the Okie State booth is pretty good; I'd like to have someone like him in our booth someday. Pistols Firing guy, though...well, it's Oklahoma State, so what do you expect?

Unfortunately, we'll get what Georgia has...a senile play-by-play guy who won't get fired until he dies.

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2007, 03:01 PM

Dropped hot dog spek!

handcrafted
10/22/2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, we aren't the only team with a "BBS". It's really getting to where you can't tell anything about the game at all. Besides mixing up the players names, he has these 2 or three stock phrases he uses every single play:

1. Everything is a "direct snap" (no, a direct snap is when the ball is snapped to a player other than the QB, usually a RB).

2. Every pass is "a long, long pass"

3. Every RB always "cracks up" to a certain yard line (BBS usually forgets which one)

Add to that the fact that you can hear on the broadcast the spotter guy talking into BBS's ear about what just happened, and BBS waits for the info before he repeats it (with mistakes) over the air.

Every time I hear that I just wanna :rolleyes:

TopDawg
10/22/2007, 04:47 PM
A direct snap is any snap that goes directly to someone. Which is just about every single snap in a game of football.

However, the only time you should say "direct snap" is when it's a trick play and the ball is snapped directly to someone OTHER than the quarterback. That's the only time someone should say "direct snap."

Tulsa_Fireman
10/23/2007, 12:31 AM
You guys hush.

I'm trying to listen to the stats for Patrick Allen from last week.

MichiganSooner
10/23/2007, 08:15 AM
The other guy is John Holcomb of channel 6 in Tulsa and he is good. I was driving down 71st Street in Tulsa listening briefly to Bill Teegins last broadcast of the Cowboys at Colorado basketball game. He was a good one.

MichiganSooner
10/23/2007, 08:20 AM
One other thing, I really like Merv who does the color for OU. He politely straightens out the mistakes of Bob by politely correcting him and comes across as a knowledgeable coach explaining what happened.

I will try to get a link with a sound-bite of one of the finest "homer announcers" I have heard, the late Bob Ufer of Michigan. Somewhere I have the replay of the miracle hail Mary to Anthony Carter and the poem about Bo beating Woody in 1969.

10/23/2007, 12:54 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qS5XCURtDwg

Tulsa_Fireman
10/23/2007, 02:09 PM
Holy crap, he sounds like Will Ferrell's impersonation of Harry Caray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55qUBKjyStY&NR=1

picasso
10/23/2007, 03:47 PM
sos' I get out of a golf tourney last Saturday just in time to hear Bob late in the second quarter. OU has the ball and as I wait and wait for a score he finally says OU is ahead 7-0, errr behind 7-0.

Lord it was tough listening to that game.

On a side note. Barney Hundziker is polished but in a nerdy homer delusional never played football kinda way.

Grimey
10/23/2007, 04:47 PM
yup. I could be listening for 10 minutes before I know what the score is.

SoonerWally
10/24/2007, 02:58 PM
"Pistols firing" announcer = Rob Schneider from Necessary Roughness.

MichiganSooner
10/24/2007, 05:00 PM
Below is a link to a play which ranks among the most exciting calls by Bob Ufer of Michigan. In fact one of the networks featured it in a contest where fans voted the most exciting play of college football. One play was Doug Flutie's hail mary, another was the Stanford vs Cal game with the laterals finally running through the Stanford band, and a third was this one with John Wangler passing to Anthony Carter, Michigan against Indiana (Lee Corso??) to win in the final seconds. The announcer is longtime Michigan radio announcer Bob Ufer. The honking horn you will hear is the horn from General George Patton's jeep from WWII. Ufer called it the General Bo George Patton Schembechler scoring horn and he blew it once for a FG and twice for a TD; he blew it a dozen times after this play. If you know what the sound is from you know that Michigan scored a TD on the play.

https://www.ufer.org/sounds/Wrangler_Carter.mp3

One interesting sidenote to Sooner fans regarding Bob Ufer. He died in November of 1980 or 81. A few weeks earlier, the college honored Bob as he was dying of cancer. Bob was a alum of M and a track star. Anyway, at halftime, the band spelled out his name and he got on the stadium PA system and led an impromtu pep rally from the pressbox. It was totally amazing. Michigan lost that day to eventual Big 10 Champ Iowa who was the Baylor of the Big 10 for years.

Bob Stoops was on that Iowa team!!

It was my last game in Michigan Stadium.

StormySooner-IN
10/24/2007, 07:36 PM
...and boom goes the dynamite!

:D :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/24/2007, 08:22 PM
HOLY ORANGE GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear I heard him yell that during M. Madness one year.

85sooners
10/24/2007, 08:48 PM
:D