PDA

View Full Version : KC losing millions of peso's?

Turd_Ferguson
10/20/2007, 08:57 PM
Please, by all means, discuss....:pop:

KANSAS CITY, Missouri — A national Hispanic civil rights organization said Saturday it will not hold its 2009 annual convention in Kansas City because an opponent of illegal immigration was appointed to the city's park board.
The National Council of La Raza said its board of directors voted unanimously to pull the conference after being unable to reach an agreement with Mayor Mark Funkhouser over his appointment in June of Frances Semler, a member of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps.
NCLR officials consider the Minutemen, who are known for posting patrols along the U-S.-Mexican border and picketing construction sites where illegal immigrants may be working, hostile to Hispanics. The Minutemen organization maintains it simply wants U.S. immigration policies enforced.
"An active member of the Minutemen should not be an official representative for a city that purports to believe in diversity," said NCLR board chairwoman Monica Lozano.
Funkhouser, who has stood by Semler throughout the controversy, declined to comment Saturday on the group's decision, saying he was abiding by an agreement he reached with local Hispanic leaders during a federally mediated session Friday.
/**/
The NCLR and local groups had urged Funkhouser to force Semler to step down from the park board. Last week, NCLR said it would still hold the conference in Kansas City if Semler agreed to at least cut her ties to the Minutemen.
But Funkhouser and Semler refused both demands. Semler and the Minutemen have said her political views have nothing to do with her service on the park board.
Losing the 2009 convention is expected to cost the local economy an estimated up to $7 million in revenue.
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, which plans its own convention from Kansas City in 2010, has also criticized Semler's appointment and said it would consider NCLR's decision in its own deliberations.

KC//CRIMSON
10/20/2007, 09:01 PM
Meh. Most of the money would have gone to the Little Mexico district anyway.;)

olevetonahill
10/20/2007, 09:04 PM
Trouble maker . your just trying to stir jaun up aint ya ?

Turd_Ferguson
10/20/2007, 09:07 PM
Trouble maker . your just trying to stir jaun up aint ya ?:D

I gotta give ****houser his props for standing up to these bastages.

Jerk
10/20/2007, 09:08 PM
La Raza.

You know what that means?

If there was a white group with a name having a similar connotation, then they would be labeled a hate group (as they probably should)

Their goal is to re-conquer the southwestern US. Can we just give them California and call it even??

OCUDad
10/20/2007, 09:25 PM
What's to discuss? This is democracy in action (elected official appoints controversial person) followed by capitalism in action (people who don't like the appointment withhold their money). Happens all the time.

Jerk, be careful what you wish for... you give California to the Hispanic population and a lot of weird people will move eastward... toward you.:D

Jerk
10/20/2007, 09:38 PM
Jerk, be careful what you wish for... you give California to the Hispanic population and a lot of weird people will move eastward... toward you.:D

You and I don't agree on alot but can we at least agree on the 'weird' part?

:texan:

SoonerJack
10/20/2007, 10:07 PM
I hope to God that Funkhouser sticks to his guns. Semler is part of the MinuteMen. Now the MinuteMen are all about supporting and upholding existing immigration laws, right? What is wrong with upholding legal immigration laws? La Raza and the NAACP can suck it.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/20/2007, 10:56 PM
I swear that La Raza is acting all too American. Boycotting is as American as apple pie. That comes with assimilation....

Some folks boycott businesses who offer fringe benefits for domestic (gay) partners, even though it is perfectly legal to offer those benefits.

some folks boycott businesses who sell imports from China, even though selling these imports are perfectly legal.

Some folks boycott med centers/hospitals that offer abortions even though abortions are perfectly legal.

Now if you join an organization that has problems being infiltrated by White Supremacists and Neo-Nazis, it may be perfectly legal. So is boycotting businesses/organizations/municipalities that employ you.

Jerk
10/20/2007, 10:59 PM
Now if you join an organization that has problems being infiltrated by White Supremacists and Neo-Nazis, it may be perfectly legal. So is boycotting businesses/organizations/municipalities that employ you.

I hate to break this to you but most klan members / white supremacists are undercover gov't informants.

Turd_Ferguson
10/20/2007, 11:02 PM
I hate to break this to you but most klan members / white supremacists are undercover gov't informants.

Whaaa? I thought we sent all the Klanee's down to the boarder....or did I miss another damn meeting:confused:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/20/2007, 11:02 PM

So are many illegally present latinos, in either case, irrelevant to this thread topic.

Turd_Ferguson
10/20/2007, 11:06 PM
So are many illegally present mexicans.
So that's our communication breakdown.:D

Jerk
10/20/2007, 11:11 PM
So that's our communication breakdown.:D

Good Zeppelin tune, I say!

Jerk
10/20/2007, 11:12 PM
So are many illegally present latinos, in either case, irrelevant to this thread topic.

You're not toting the pc line. It's undocumented workers.