PDA

View Full Version : REALITY CHECK

okcusooner
10/20/2007, 06:34 PM
Right now, OU is a good team. It's not a great team, nor a very good team.

It's possible that OU might be a very good team by the end of the year. But the team isn't there yet. The following are indicative of this fact...

1) Bradford, who is playing beyond expectations of a redshirt freshman still
needs to learn to throw the ball away and avoid the sack.

2) An offensive line that continues to be sporadic in blocking for the run.

3) A defense that still has a tendency to give up too many third and longs,
and third and really longs (i.e. that 3rd and 18 today)

4) A punting game that regularly saves the shanks for the biggest punt of
the day.

5) Ball security on offense.

Here's to hoping that OU goes to the National Championship.....NEXT YEAR.
This team isn't ready for it, and none of us want to see 55-19 again.

badger
10/20/2007, 06:36 PM
NEXT year??!?!?!

Bane him! BANE HIM NOW !!!!!!1!!!!1111!

;)

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 06:37 PM
Uh-oh, you're gonna get it...

soonersn2007
10/20/2007, 06:40 PM
I'm with you buddy, they can neg spek me too b/c you said exactly what I was thinking. If these guys are suffering from to much media glorification, maybe some critical analysis needs to be made about this team and they can read about it in the paper.

SoonerBBall

It's possible that OU might be a very good team by the end of the year. But the team isn't there yet. The following are indicative of this fact...

the day.

That is a pretty list. No, really. Now do something for me. List the "great' teams in college football right now.

Oh, that's right, there aren't any. This year more than any in recent history there is not a single team that is dominant in any way. We are as good as any of the other top 5 teams in the nation. Save your whining for when we lose.

snp
This is why we need to increase the post count to at least 100 before people can start new threads. I'm probably going to be copy and pasting this a lot these next couple days.

rubyspirit
10/20/2007, 06:42 PM
Ball security is an issue, but the other reasons listed are crap. Just like we complete 3rd and long, other teams will too.

Ban him! LOL!

soonersn2007
10/20/2007, 06:44 PM
This is why we need to increase the post count to at least 100 before people can start new threads. I'm probably going to be copy and pasting this a lot these next couple days.
Why don't you comment on the post rather than make a snide remark, deny or debate any of his comments. How does truth draw bane from fellow fans?

the_edge
10/20/2007, 06:46 PM
Dude, we can pick apart OU all we want, but right now the fact is that nobody else in college football is "better." Nobody.

The way ISU played today, LSU, Ohio State, Boston College, ANYBODY else in the country would have struggled. They were fired up like crazy.

OU came out flat and still had the gumption to pull it together in the second half. This was a huge improvement from the Colorado game in that respect.

This is the nature of college football in 2007. If you don't bring your "A" game on the road against a conference opponent that is playing their game of the year, you're going to have your hands full.

This OU team is every bit as good, if not better than any OU team from 2001-2004. The difference is that all of OUs opponents are better now, too. Well, the bad ones at least. Even a 1-6 ISU team has a chance in 2007. It's a different game now.

Youngsooner
10/20/2007, 06:46 PM
yeah.. who REALLY is the best team in the nation? it's sure not Ohio State... or even anyone in the top 10 for that matter... we are a good team though

okcusooner
10/20/2007, 06:50 PM
That is a pretty list. No, really. Now do something for me. List the "great' teams in college football right now.

Oh, that's right, there aren't any. This year more than any in recent history there is not a single team that is dominant in any way. We are as good as any of the other top 5 teams in the nation. Save your whining for when we lose.

Hmmmm. Maybe you didn't do too well in your critical thinking classes at your GED correspondence school.

Why don't you address my entire argument, instead of conveniently skirting half of it. There ARE some VERY GOOD teams this year. Ohio State, Boston College, LSU (who's only loss came to a ranked team on the road in triple overtime)

Now for the five issues I listed with the current team. Why don't you try to argue that none of them exist OR if they do exist they are deficiencies which are not important to winning a national championship.

I await your well-reasoned response with baited breath.

texashater#1
10/20/2007, 06:50 PM

the day.

are you retarded or something. bradford had a bad day he was about 6 inches from having a good day. good quarterbacks have bad days. and our defense played amazingly when they needed to. isu had a short field to work with numerous times and we stopped em

snp
10/20/2007, 06:51 PM
Why don't you comment on the post rather than make a snide remark, deny or debate any of his comments. How does truth draw bane from fellow fans?

Because I don't like to waste time arguing with idiots, sorry.

Blue
10/20/2007, 06:52 PM

You're not a fan and neither is the thread starter. You're just a punk (nice guy) with a loser mentality.

You have no idea how good this team CAN be. We're only halfway through the conference slate for gods sake.

Just shut up for awhile...or don't and get banned. Either way is good.

the_edge
10/20/2007, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm. Maybe you didn't do too well in your critical thinking classes at your GED correspondence school.
That probably deserves a bane.

You don't speak to a fellow OU fan like that. At least not on THIS board. Maybe you'd be better suited making your "observations" on OUInsider.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2007, 06:54 PM

One man's "truth" is another man's "full o' crap".

You can't win it if you're not in the game. If we have the opportunity, hell yes I want OU in the game. Losing an NC game is better than winning the Independence Bowl any year.

Collier11
10/20/2007, 06:57 PM

Why don't youraddress my entire argument, instead of conveniently skirting half of it. There ARE some VERY GOOD teams this year. Ohio State, Boston College, LSU (who's only loss came to a ranked team on the road in triple overtime)

Now for the five issues I listed with the current team. Why don't you try to argue that none of them exist OR if they do exist they are deficiencies which are not important to winning a national championship.

I disagree...Ohio state is not very good IMO just pretty good, they havent played anyone. Bc is way overrated as is their qb, I personally think Lsu, Florida(even though they are likely out of it with two losses, Ohio state to a lesser degree and us right now to a lesser degree are the 4 best teams. We are struggling right now but we still beat a really good Mizzou team, a pretty good Texas team, and a decent Miami team. Coach Stoops is correct, we havent played a complete game yet, I hope this team finds its stride soon cus we could easily win the Championship but if we keep turning over and struggling with our O-line and stopping 3rd downs we could also easily lose at Tech, big 12 title, and bowl game.

Blue
10/20/2007, 06:57 PM
One man's "truth" is another man's "full o' crap".

You can't win it if you're not in the game. If we have the opportunity, hell yes I want OU in the game. Losing an NC game is better than winning the Independence Bowl any year.

Exactly GHP!

All you Never Was (nice guys) take note.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2007, 06:58 PM

Oh, and that line right there got you a week off. You can be as big of an idiot-****** as you want, but you made your idiocy personal and insulting. That's against the rules.

Blue
10/20/2007, 06:59 PM
oh ****...delete delete....:D

GottaHavePride
Oh, and apparently the name of a type of feminine hygiene product is banned. I was not aware of that.

soonersn2007
I only hope that by acknowledging these mistakes and lack execution makes this team better, how do you expect them to be better if you pump sunshine up their arses.

This team has to play better to finish the season undefeated, can we at least agree on that?

GottaHavePride
I'll spell it alternatively. Doosh.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2007, 07:02 PM
I only hope that by acknowledging these mistakes and lack execution makes this team better, how do you expect them to be better if you pump sunshine up their arses.

This team has to play better to finish the season undefeated, can we at least agree on that?

I'm not saying we don't have problems. I think a more reasonable argument would be that there is not a single team in the country that is without a weakness in some facet of the game. Our weakness is turnovers.

There are also ways to discuss our team's problems without sounding like a drunken doosh. ;)

Blue

I aint pumping **** in anyones asses. Speak for yourself, Coach.

Newbomb Turk
I'm with you buddy, they can neg spek me too b/c you said exactly what I was thinking. If these guys are suffering from to much media glorification, maybe some critical analysis needs to be made about this team and they can read about it in the paper.

The only thing I've read from you today is that another QB needs a shot.

As far as the initial post, I don't think it's too far out of bounds. I agree that we're probably not the best team in the country, but we're certainly up there. You might criticize the defense in spots this year, but today they were pretty damn good.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2007, 07:05 PM
True dat. We only gave up 7, despite coughing the ball up 3 times.

Newbomb Turk
10/20/2007, 07:05 PM
True dat. We only gave up 7

and I think it was about a 25-30 yard drive.

soonersn2007
10/20/2007, 07:06 PM
The only thing I've read from you today is that another QB needs a shot.

As far as the initial post, I don't think it's too far out of bounds. I agree that we're probably not the best team in the country, but we're certainly up there. You might criticize the defense in spots this year, but today they were pretty damn good.

No doubt, our D saved our bacon today.

Stitch Face
10/20/2007, 07:12 PM
Did any y'all know that Jack Black has his own bean dip? Crazy.

http://tailgate.si.com/jackDaniels.php

Doged
10/20/2007, 07:13 PM
After further review, if Cohen insists on shanking one punt this year the Iowa St game is the time to do it. ;)

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 07:17 PM

Ohio St has a championship level defense
LSU has a championship level defense
USC has a championship level defense

We are a good team. We are not a great team and we will not win an MNC this year (or be very competitive for one) because our defense is mediocre.

Guys, go watch the KU-Colorado game right now. The KU defense is CLEARLY better than ours and they've played better all year long.

If by some miracle we make the MNC game, we lose by 14 points minimum because of our defense. I know they played fairly well today but based on the entire season they just arent good enough to keep us competitive in that game.

Blue
10/20/2007, 07:19 PM
Y'all ever watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?"

I love it when they go, "Aaahh!!! Waah!! We can't play Defense!!! Booo!!! Hooo!!! Everybodys better than us!!! wah!"

SoonerBBall
10/20/2007, 07:21 PM

Why don't you address my entire argument, instead of conveniently skirting half of it. There ARE some VERY GOOD teams this year. Ohio State, Boston College, LSU (who's only loss came to a ranked team on the road in triple overtime)

Education smack from a someone named "okcusooner"? Did you even go to or graduate from OU? Because I did. Twice. Thanks so much.

As far as your "five issues" (quotes mine to highlight your apparent idiocy), of course we have problems. Every team has problems. However, I came back at you saying that regardless of our "five issues" there isn't a single team in college football that we can't beat. Do I need to make it more clear for you? Your "five issues" are bullsh*t. Especially the one about Bradford. There isn't a single thing on there that is even close to being a consistent problem with the possible exception of fumbles.

Seriously, can we please make it so people with less than 50 posts can't start threads. Hell, can we make it so they can only reply "yes" and "no"? The retardation in some of these posts is reaching epic levels.

swardboy
10/20/2007, 07:22 PM
Tell Stanford about that championship level USC defense.

Doged
10/20/2007, 07:30 PM

We are a good team. We are not a great team and we will not win an MNC this year (or be very competitive for one) because our defense is mediocre.

Guys, go watch the KU-Colorado game right now. The KU defense is CLEARLY better than ours and they've played better all year long.

If by some miracle we make the MNC game, we lose by 14 points minimum because of our defense. I know they played fairly well today but based on the entire season they just arent good enough to keep us competitive in that game.

I disagree with everything in your post except the "we are a good team" part.

OUr defense is among the best in the nation, as is OUr offense. Defense does NOT win championships. TEAMS win championships. Teams with good defenses and good offenses and good depth at every position. We have that, making us championship contenders.

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 07:31 PM
Our expectations as fans seems out of whack IMO.

There's absolutely no way I'm not gonna root for us to go to the MNC though.

The thing is...we're in position to go at this point...we have a week off and our schedule tells me we have the ability to win out.

We are the hunted team right now.

Folks are gunning big for us.

SoonerBBall
10/20/2007, 07:32 PM

First, You lost every ounce of credibility your post could have had by posting that USC has a championship level defense. Second, not a single thing you posted can be backed up with evidence from this years football season.

Go sit in a corner, noob.

Sooner02
10/20/2007, 07:36 PM
The bottom line is: if tOSU and LSU win out, they're playing for the NC.

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 07:54 PM
I disagree with everything in your post except the "we are a good team" part.

OUr defense is among the best in the nation, as is OUr offense. Defense does NOT win championships. TEAMS win championships. Teams with good defenses and good offenses and good depth at every position. We have that, making us championship contenders.

Our defense is among the best in the nation? Depends on how you define "best." If you are talking among the best 20 teams in the nation, maybe. If you are talking about the kind of defense you need to win an MNC, then hell no.

Lets take a look at previous BCS MNC winning teams and their D rankings:

2006 Florida
Total D: #6
Scoring D: #6
Rush D: #5
Pass D: #33
Pass efficiency D: #4

2005 Texas:
Total D: #10
Scoring D: #8
Rush D: #33
Pass D: #8

2004 USC:
Scoring D: #3
Rush D: #1
Pass D: #34
Pass efficiency D: #9

2003 LSU:
Total D: #1
Scoring D: #1
Rush D: #3
Pass D: #18
Pass efficiency D: #2

Now lets look at OU's ratings:

Total D: #17
Scoring D: #20
Rush D: #4
Pass D: #73
Pass efficiency D: #61

Notice that our pass D ratings are at least 30 spots below the lowest-ranked categories on the previous MNC teams. Also note that our total D and scoring D rankings are nowhere near hte previous MNC teams.

Bottom line, we dont have a championship level defense and if we somehow make it to the MNC game we will get smoked.

SoonerBBall
10/20/2007, 08:01 PM
Our defense is among the best in the nation? Depends on how you define "best." If you are talking among the best 20 teams in the nation, maybe. If you are talking about the kind of defense you need to win an MNC, then hell no.

2006 Florida

2005 Texas:

2004 USC:

2003 LSU:

Notice that our pass D ratings are at least 30 spots below the lowest-ranked categories on the previous MNC teams. Also note that our total D and scoring D rankings are nowhere near hte previous MNC teams.

Bottom line, we dont have a championship level defense and if we somehow make it to the MNC game we will get smoked.

Weren't you supposed to be in the corner? Let me repeat one more time, because you missed it in my last post. Not a single thing you posted can be backed up with evidence from this year's football season. Maybe you didn't understand because I forgot the apostrophe in "year's" last time. I really expected more from a med student, though.

This year is unlike any other year in recent history, and most definitely not like any year in the BCS era. So how about you try again, noob.

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:06 PM
Weren't you supposed to be in the corner? Let me repeat one more time, because you missed it in my last post. Not a single thing you posted can be backed up with evidence from this year's football season. Maybe you didn't understand because I forgot the apostrophe in "year's" last time. I really expected more from a med student, though.

This year is unlike any other year in recent history, and most definitely not like any year in the BCS era. So how about you try again, noob.

If you disagree with what I said, then please defend your argument with logic instead of resorting to ad hominem logical fallacies.

If this year is different, please elaborate on how it changes the analysis. Every year is different from the others, but there is consistent trend among MNC teams if you look at the numbers I posted, and OU is nowhere near any of those ratings except for rush D.

Collier11
10/20/2007, 08:08 PM

2006 Florida

2005 Texas:

2004 USC:

2003 LSU:

The diff is that those teams were Great teams and had to play great teams to win the MNC, OU has no Great teams to play to win the MNC...just a few very good teams such as ourselves!

Dio
10/20/2007, 08:14 PM
TEH SKY IS FALLING!!!!11!!1!ONE

We won, GADOCADWI.

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 08:15 PM
OU is in as good as shape as any team to win it all....

Newbomb Turk
10/20/2007, 08:16 PM
OU is in as good as shape as any team to win it all....

and there you have it.

SoonerBBall
10/20/2007, 08:30 PM
If you disagree with what I said, then please defend your argument with logic instead of resorting to ad hominem logical fallacies.

If this year is different, please elaborate on how it changes the analysis. Every year is different from the others, but there is consistent trend among MNC teams if you look at the numbers I posted, and OU is nowhere near any of those ratings except for rush D.

Ad hominem logical fallacies? You realize you are on a message board, right? You are talking about a game that defies logic a great deal of the time. Hell, that is what has made this season so crazy. USC-Stanford, OU-CU, Fla-AU? Those were all logical losses right? The better team won in every case, right? You need to drop the "I looked on wikipedia to get a list of logical fallacies to make myself sound cool on teh internetz" routine. It has been done before by better than you, and it still failed.

P.S. You might want to check the definition of your precious ad hominem logical fallacy. You haven't made a single factual claim concerning this season's defensive numbers, rather you merely made a value judgement on the defensive prowess of 3 teams. You also used the Texas Fan Technique and brought up previous year's numbers instead of basing the your analysis on this year. So really I'm attacking your "evidence". But you already knew that, didn't you Mr. Ad Hominem.

SoonerKnight
10/20/2007, 08:30 PM
The season is young! The numbers will rise! You have to look at who those teams played and how their opponants were ranked to get a better idea of how fair those numbers are. Look at KU weak opponants and weak schedule numbers are out of sight!

Dio
10/20/2007, 08:44 PM
THIS THREAD IS 3/4THS INAKERUT!!!!!!!! [hairGel]

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:45 PM
Ad hominem logical fallacies? You realize you are on a message board, right? You are talking about a game that defies logic a great deal of the time. Hell, that is what has made this season so crazy. USC-Stanford, OU-CU, Fla-AU? Those were all logical losses right? The better team won in every case, right? You need to drop the "I looked on wikipedia to get a list of logical fallacies to make myself sound cool on teh internetz" routine. It has been done before by better than you, and it still failed.

P.S. You might want to check the definition of your precious ad hominem logical fallacy. You haven't made a single factual claim concerning this season's defensive numbers, rather you merely made a value judgement on the defensive prowess of 3 teams. You also used the Texas Fan Technique and brought up previous year's numbers instead of basing the your analysis on this year. So really I'm attacking your "evidence". But you already knew that, didn't you Mr. Ad Hominem.

I already posted this year's defensive ratings. Surely you are not claiming they are irrelevant.

We have a good, not great defense, compared to other teams THIS YEAR, not just historical MNC winners. You think we can still win an MNC with that, I obviously think otherwise and posted a historical comparison. If OU were to win the MNC this year, it would be with BY FAR the worst defense statistically of any BCS-MNC winner. Does that mean its impossible? No, and I never said that. But there's a reason why all the prvious MNC winners have D ratings in the top 10 in just about every category. Thats not random, its a trend.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2007, 08:49 PM
OU has the offense and defense to beat anyone in the country. Sometimes they just don't play up to their abilities. It happens.

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:52 PM
OU has the offense and defense to beat anyone in the country. Sometimes they just don't play up to their abilities. It happens.

Coaching, preparation, and team leadership will prevent this from happening. Saying "it happens" implies that its a random process but its not and every time a team fails to play up to its abilities, it indicates a flaw somewhere in those 3 categories I listed above.

I'm not talking about perfection. Of course mistakes are going to happen. But most of the time when the superior team struggles or loses to a lesser team its not because of 1 or 2 mistakes.

bluedogok
10/20/2007, 08:56 PM
Some of these posts remind me why I stay away at times. The "Doom and Gloom" morans who aren't happy unless they are miserable.

There is still about half the season to be played, defensive rankings can swing radically during the season, especially a season like this one which is unprecedented in terms of upsets. There is no statistical data to support what has already happened this season so pretty much prior historical data is irrelevant. Many of those teams that you posted up were "great" teams, none of this seasons teams can be considered among those teams. Everyone has flaws and can lose on any given day.

Is this years Sooner team great? No, they are very good but it looks like very good has a decent shot at this years title. OU could be there but so could about 10 other teams. There are too many games left to declare anyone the winner or even the potential favorite.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2007, 09:04 PM
Coaching, preparation, and team leadership will prevent this from happening.

If that was true, the best team would finish undefeated every year.

We are talking about 22 young human beings. If these were robots, then you could program them to win every time. But as long as there is a human factor and luck, inexplicable losses and tight games will always happen. After all, this is the same team and coaches that beat Missouri.

sitzpinkler
10/20/2007, 09:37 PM
The way ISU played today, LSU, Ohio State, Boston College, ANYBODY else in the country would have struggled. They were fired up like crazy.

:rolleyes:

That sounds like it came straight outta orangepower.com. This is the exact kind of excuse making crap we continually rip on oSux fans for. If we don't win by a large margin it's because the other team played unusually well that day and OU is free from blame. I'm sorry, but I'm not buyin' it. ISU is a 1-6 team. Fired up or not, we should have destroyed them.

Ground_Attack
10/20/2007, 09:53 PM

2006 Florida

2005 Texas:

2004 USC:

2003 LSU:

yeah, that #17 ranking is awful :rolleyes:

we've also played two very potent spread offenses in Tulsa and Mizzou that are very efficient. If we were ranked 40th, I might agree with you, but we are #17 in total D. good grief. we force teams to become one-dimensional and beat us with the pass.

Ground_Attack
10/20/2007, 09:57 PM
good grief. some of you guys need to take a step back. In 2000, we beat a terrible OSU team 12-7. Bottom line is, a win is a win. LSU is down 10 in the 3rd quarter right now. We may be controlling our own destiny. Win out and we might be there.

PLaw
10/20/2007, 10:03 PM

the day.

Man, oh man, did you hit some hot buttons. It's an honest post, but the tone probably hit a few sour chords.

Just to win the the Big 12 South, OU must:

1) Eliminate the turnovers. Can't put the ball on the ground.

2) Get more consistent OL play. Simply unacceptable not to be able to run the ball against the likes of ISU. Granted it was their homecoming (like CU), but they got lit up by the horns last week.

3) Stop giving up the 3rd and long. Not sure if it is scheme, players be out of position, or coaching. Just know it's a problem that needs to go away.

Can we agree to worry about winning the South, first. Other than Baylor and the bye, we don't have a cake walk left on the schedule.

Boomer
PLaw

Thousands Strong
10/20/2007, 10:50 PM
:rolleyes:

That sounds like it came straight outta orangepower.com. This is the exact kind of excuse making crap we continually rip on oSux fans for. If we don't win by a large margin it's because the other team played unusually well that day and OU is free from blame. I'm sorry, but I'm not buyin' it. ISU is a 1-6 team. Fired up or not, we should have destroyed them.

Now, now... let's be reasonable. We all know those weren't the same clones who lost to kent st and n. ia :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:53 PM
I'll take a top 20 in scoring Defense any day; again, THAT's the only freakin' defensive stat that matters; why can't some of you get that? Of course i would like it to be in the top 10 and if ATM cooperates, we could move up considerably in that stat.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 11:10 PM
I'll take a top 20 in scoring Defense any day; again, THAT's the only freakin' defensive stat that matters; why can't some of you get that? Of course i would like it to be in the top 10 and if ATM cooperates, we could move up considerably in that stat.

You make a nice point...no pun intended.

insuranceman_22
10/20/2007, 11:30 PM
Med. I can see your point and I think I understand your arguement. However, this season isn't progressing like any season in the last 30 years. It seems that every week several of the top 10 teams, the "dominant teams" are getting knocked off. Cal. was about to be crowned the new #1 not long ago and now they've got two losses. Auburn is statistically a defensive monster and they've got 2 losses, and they also have a 4th quarter lead against lsu currently (another defensive star). Honestly, I think OU has about as good a chance as anyone else this year (and a much better chance than most). We've got a very good team in a year that doesn't have any great teams. I don't buy the arguement of waiting until next year, we're sitting pretty well right now, we need to grab it by the nuts and go! College football isn't something based on hard facts (winning and losing, you know what I mean), anything can happen on a given weekend. Stanford dumps suc, nobody outside of Stanfords locker room had faith in that and to be honest, probably not all of the them believed it could happen. This is similiar to the arguements regarding religion. We believe, no facts or comparisons you have will change that (at least while we're ranked fairly high and have no more loses).

The second part of this message is.....dude your on a Sooner board, what do you expect?

MiccoMacey
10/21/2007, 12:16 AM

1) Bradford, who is playing beyond expectations of a redshirt freshman still needs to learn to throw the ball away and avoid the sack.

Soooo...Sam's not perfect. I got it. If this is your biggest gripe against a QB, you're in a good situation. Considering he's only been sacked a handful of times this year, he's doing good. Extremely good for a RS Freshman QB.

I agree. This was supposed to be a strength, and it's imploding on us in front of our eyes.

3) A defense that still has a tendency to give up too many third and longs, and third and really longs (i.e. that 3rd and 18 today)

ISU - 3rd Down Conversions 4-15. Four of fifteen. You're griping because our defense gave up FOUR first downs off third down. Out of fifteen trys. Are you expecting ISU to not make any first downs? They have scholarship players as well. They will make plays. We're not perfect. It will happen, but to complain about giving up four out of fifteen 3rd down conversions, regardless of distance, floors me.

And our other stats were our defense gave up 269 total yards, kept rushing yards under a hundred, and passing under 200, and gave up only seven points. I'll take that any day, regardless of opponent.

Lay off the defense. They can't go three and out every series. They (and every defense in the nation) will give up first downs, sometimes long first downs.

4) A punting game that regularly saves the shanks for the biggest punt of the day.

Don't have any idea, really. I defer to your knowledge on this one.

I agree whole heartedly.

Disagree. If we can play for it this year, I'm for it. To not play for it means we lose another game. And I can't wish for that.

Fred Garvin
10/21/2007, 12:18 AM

the day.

On the bright side, Hartley made all his extra points today.

MiccoMacey
10/21/2007, 12:21 AM
BTW, our defensive performance would rank like this:

Rushing defense: 16th
Passing defense: 18th
Scoring defense: 9th
3rd down efficiency: 7th

I can see reasons for your other points. But knocking the defense is just silly.

proud gonzo
10/21/2007, 12:23 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/u-has-a-smell.jpg

and it is N00B!

josh09
10/21/2007, 12:55 AM

the day.

I know not what you speak of when you say 55-19.....

josh09
10/21/2007, 12:57 AM
Soooo...Sam's not perfect. I got it. If this is your biggest gripe against a QB, you're in a good situation. Considering he's only been sacked a handful of times this year, he's doing good. Extremely good for a RS Freshman QB.

I agree. This was supposed to be a strength, and it's imploding on us in front of our eyes.

ISU - 3rd Down Conversions 4-15. Four of fifteen. You're griping because our defense gave up FOUR first downs off third down. Out of fifteen trys. Are you expecting ISU to not make any first downs? They have scholarship players as well. They will make plays. We're not perfect. It will happen, but to complain about giving up four out of fifteen 3rd down conversions, regardless of distance, floors me.

And our other stats were our defense gave up 269 total yards, kept rushing yards under a hundred, and passing under 200, and gave up only seven points. I'll take that any day, regardless of opponent.

Lay off the defense. They can't go three and out every series. They (and every defense in the nation) will give up first downs, sometimes long first downs.

Don't have any idea, really. I defer to your knowledge on this one.

I agree whole heartedly.

Disagree. If we can play for it this year, I'm for it. To not play for it means we lose another game. And I can't wish for that.

Very good post.

soonertruth12
10/21/2007, 01:05 AM
we obviously played poorly, but that doesnt mean that we are not a good (if not really good) team.....as a lot of other people have pointed out we have not put together a complete game yet....the potential is there and IMO waiting for that big game (Big 12 champ/ MNC) to come out....

a win is a win in this crazy year

however, right now all but one of LSU, Oregon and the undefeated teams will need to lose for us to get in the MNC

pott_2
10/21/2007, 01:39 AM
There may be some SEC fans in here. You have turned on each other. Great debate though. You can point out our flaws all day long... but if we make it to the NC game... then we are at least better than 117 other teams. Win or lose.. we were there at least.

stoopified
10/21/2007, 10:17 AM
I've never seen so much red spek in one place ewver.Obviously it has been well deserved.

bluedogok
10/21/2007, 10:24 AM
As far as Sam and sacks, the "one" that I know people are referring to would have been an intentional grounding penalty since Sam was still inside the tackle box. So in effect the sack = an intentional grounding penalty. No difference.

Animal Mother
10/21/2007, 08:46 PM
Education smack from a someone named "okcusooner"? Did you even go to or graduate from OU? Because I did. Twice. Thanks so much.

As far as your "five issues" (quotes mine to highlight your apparent idiocy), of course we have problems. Every team has problems. However, I came back at you saying that regardless of our "five issues" there isn't a single team in college football that we can't beat. Do I need to make it more clear for you? Your "five issues" are bullsh*t. Especially the one about Bradford. There isn't a single thing on there that is even close to being a consistent problem with the possible exception of fumbles.

Seriously, can we please make it so people with less than 50 posts can't start threads. Hell, can we make it so they can only reply "yes" and "no"? The retardation in some of these posts is reaching epic levels.

Yeah, make that the rule. We all know that once a member has shown that you have the time to make 11,000 posts, you have certainly risen above everyone intellectually and make nothing but Einstein like comments. It has nothing to with being self impressed, opinionated or lacking a real life.