PDA

View Full Version : MBA from OU

bonkuba
10/20/2007, 03:11 PM
Have a question to bounce off of you guys.....

I have been toying around with getting my MBA for a few years now. I would love to get it from OU. Here are my hurdles as I see it at this point:

1. Location - I live in Ardmore
2. Family - While this is NOT a real hurdle the time aspect of being away from my little ones (and my wife) is not exciting to me. I worked for IBM for about 12 years and was gone a lot. I have taken over the family business now....home all the time.
3. GMAT - have to take it :D

Anyone done this from outside Norman? Experience or advice? Any distance type course, etc (internet)??

Thanks.:D

badger
10/20/2007, 03:23 PM
What do you want to do with an MBA?

If you just want to learn more, then OU is a good option. If you want it just for the piece of paper and the ability to do things that an MBA is a requirement for, it might be easier for you (and your family) to go through online courses instead instead of OU.

bonkuba
10/20/2007, 04:16 PM
What do you want to do with an MBA?

If you just want to learn more, then OU is a good option. If you want it just for the piece of paper and the ability to do things that an MBA is a requirement for, it might be easier for you (and your family) to go through online courses instead instead of OU.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Well, from what I have read there are no really good alternatives online....for example U of Phoenix is basically a mill and is viewed as such via Intel now. I know from experience at IBM the hiring managers would basically throw away online degrees. Overall that is the main reason I was looking to OU (or other traditional univ). Also, hoping that the traditional universities have caught up with the times and offered more online (class lecture, etc, etc) since I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in 92 from East Central in Ada.

SleestakSooner
10/20/2007, 04:26 PM
oklahoma college of continuing education

http://www.occe.ou.edu/

YWIA :)

royalfan5
10/20/2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. Well, from what I have read there are no really good alternatives online....for example U of Phoenix is basically a mill and is viewed as such via Intel now. I know from experience at IBM the hiring managers would basically throw away online degrees. Overall that is the main reason I was looking to OU (or other traditional univ). Also, hoping that the traditional universities have caught up with the times and offered more online (class lecture, etc, etc) since I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in 92 from East Central in Ada.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has a fine online program that has developed through our program with Offut Air Force Base. I took a portion of my MBA classes online, and they were just as good as the in-person classes. There may be other name schools that have similar programs that are worth looking into for you.

badger
10/20/2007, 04:51 PM
OU's CCE might be a good option - flexible scheduling and all. OU actually does offer online classes and independent study courses that would help with any advanced degree.

Okla-homey
10/20/2007, 07:40 PM
You might consider taking as many courses out at Ardmore Higher Ed as will transfer. I assume you can take grad courses out there. I could be wrong. Anyway, pull the trigger on that OU MBA. A solid investment in your future earning potential IMHO.

That said, I'm a big fan of grad degrees generally. They tend to separate the wheat from the chaff, metaphorically speakin' of course.

SoonerBBall
10/20/2007, 08:09 PM

I finished my MBA at OU last May. If you have any specific questions just let me know either here or through PM. OU has a really good part time program, but it is mostly in OKC and Norman, so that doesn't help much for you being in Ardmore.

bonkuba
10/21/2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you for all of the replies!!

I will look into each of the suggestions.

StoopTroup
10/21/2007, 12:08 PM
Nebraska would be a great place to get your PBA.

Professional Bowling

Sooner02
10/21/2007, 08:35 PM
I have an Oklahoma MBA, but you should know that OU tries to be "selective" because they want to improve their rankings and compete with UT. They want a GMAT score of about 640, and I'm sure the GPA req is high, but I forgot that one. OU has no online option because their 18-hour semesters your first year basically prevent that. They also require 54 hours, when there are other schools that require 36 (normal for a masters).

Vaevictis
10/21/2007, 09:33 PM
I am currently in the full-time OU MBA program.

The "admission standards" are officially:
* 3.2 GPA
* 600 GMAT
* 2 years of work experience

I asked while I was applying what the admission rate was, and IIRC, about 50% of applicants were admitted, but almost 100% of applicants meeting the admission standards were admitted.

Do not hold your breath waiting for online courses. IMO, they are extremely unlikely to offer them any time in the near future, as they cannot accomplish some of the things they want to accomplish with online courses.

As far as the 36 hour v. 54 hour requirement -- well, first, the program is 47 hours. And 36 hours is very lightweight for an MBA program. Most "top" programs are closer to 60 hours; so, if you *really* want less hours, you can find someone willing to do it, but just remember what you're trading off.

RacerX
10/22/2007, 01:50 PM
GMAT - buy the princeton review gmat book. There used to be a single Kaplan book with a CD but now there appears to be a math book and a verbal book. If the Kaplan book's have timed tests on CD, then they're worth it.

The princeton review book will teach you how to take the test. It's really good.

I'm in the third semester of my MBA. Time spent in the program was a huge consideration because of family. I was not going to spend 3 of my kid's birthdays back in college. I really wanted to go to OU, but it just wasn't a good fit for me.

And yeah, U of Phoenix masters aren't looked upon all that well.